Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Spanish GP 2017 - Race thread

It wasn't Ferrari day simply. From the start many things went wrong. Yes, Vettel took the lead, but Kimi could well have been third but instead was out after Bottas contact. Seb built a lead only to come behind Bottas and allow Hamilton to gain extra seconds while lapping 3s off his pace. Then the VSC that could have ended a few seconds before and there would have been an undercut. We can blame the team for not pitting under it, but we don't know if that would've helped. Hamilton would be 10s in front of Vettel and then charging through on new softs. And he was clearly quicker in the final stint, setting a new fastest lap at the end. It was astonishing he blasted past Vettel who was unable to deal with Bottas for many laps despite being 3s quicker. And Alonso and Massa clashes, not a good result overall but still leading WDC at least.

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    HE HELPED HIM ALRIGHT, HE HIT KIMI AND KIMI WAS OUT THE RACE FFS!!!
    after looking at the videos out there....where was Bottas to go....VB right wheels were inches from the grass on the right side of the track and he held his line inside....it was a racing incident

Ted summed it up perfectly in Ted's Notebook...

Seb lost the race because: he was held up by Bottas, he was unlucky with the VSC, he spent the longest on the medium tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    No doubt you will come back in Monaco FP to whine some more....as said you are free to not come here.
    Wasn't there a way to block certain user posts on the forum? Can I block mwk360's posts?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    very bad weekend for seb, but he gave it everything, and had p1 in his grasp until Vsc
    He finished P2 & leading the championship. Very bad weekend for Kimi.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Today, Ferrari lost the race, because they did not think outside of the box. They should have stopped under the VSC, twice. Once to change for the Mediums, then do a lap around, and come straight back in and change to Softs! I was screaming this at the TV! Well, they didnt hear me!
    Shame because I was screaming really loud.
    I have said that if Ferrari is going to lose this year championship it would be down to too conservative strategy, another team would have bring in Seb immediately Lewis pass him and he would have been very closer at the end with fresher tyre. or ferrari comes in during the VC change to another soft and coming in few laps to the end to change to medium tyre. This guys are just too inept.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    Seb was in the 2nd sector when the VSC happened. I was yelling at the TV to pit immediately. Pitting the lap after it ended was poor and lost the race. Lewis picked up the 7 seconds by timing g the pit. It is almost always correct to pit under VSC.
    No chance really even if Seb pitted at the same time as Lewis. Lewis was on the softer compound and would have eaten the 7 sec gap in no time. Perhaps the team was expecting Mercs to destroy their tires but as we have seen in the race, it didn't happen. So now we must take into account that Mercs have found a way to manage their tires more efficiently than the first 3 fly away races.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalo View Post
    I have said that if Ferrari is going to lose this year championship it would be down to too conservative strategy, another team would have bring in Seb immediately Lewis pass him and he would have been very closer at the end with fresher tyre. or ferrari comes in during the VC change to another soft and coming in few laps to the end to change to medium tyre. This guys are just too inept.
    Should have, could have, would have. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing LOL. We were agressive during the 2nd race of the season but it caught us as well and caused us the win.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    No chance really even if Seb pitted at the same time as Lewis. Lewis was on the softer compound and would have eaten the 7 sec gap in no time. Perhaps the team was expecting Mercs to destroy their tires but as we have seen in the race, it didn't happen. So now we must take into account that Mercs have found a way to manage their tires more efficiently than the first 3 fly away races.
    Yes but I think they no longer have the edge in quali

Should have, could have, would have. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing LOL. We were agressive during the 2nd race of the season but it caught us as well and caused us the win.
    Merc will be unlucky to

Ferrari should have seen that Mercedes had a better tyre usage on Friday during the long run. Strategy would cost us the constructor title this year. I was thinking Ferrari SMS or from the beginning go SSSM because Kimi was no more in the picture to stop Hamilton charge

You don't know racing Mercedes reacted to Ferrari going soft after the first stop and change to Medium for Hamilton. that is changing strategy is you don't know

Ferrari should have seen that Mercedes had a better tyre usage on Friday during the long run. Strategy would cost us the constructor title this year. I was thinking Ferrari SMS or from the beginning go SSSM because Kimi was no more in the picture to stop Hamilton charge
    I think its going to be more than strategy that will "cost us the constructor title this year". It might be a variable in the "we-lost-the-constructors-title-this-year equation.

This was the first race where it seemed Mercs have solved their tire issues. Testing is very much different from the race so Ferrari wouldn't have known that info until after the race. Having said that, tire strategy and team strategy (aka team orders) will play a crucial role in determining this year's champion so yes, Ferrari needs to up their game.

So close!! Gutted it didn't go our way, but that's racinv. Our car is awesome!! Now for the dog egg that is Monaco.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

While FIA is investigating Force India for not having proper numbers on their cars, I found out something else:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ercedes-trick/

And today at the end of lap 35 Mercedes went out onto the pitlane to trick Ferrari. They came back into the garage before coming out again one lap later. But looks like the anthem presence or the size of numbers is more important. Why not investigating this situation then :P

Just returned from the track. My first European race watching live. Loved the atmosphere but ended up leaving the track a bit dissapointed along with thousands of other Ferrari fans. Thought the win was in the bag when seb came out of the pits in front of Lewis. Now looking forward to Monaco.

You don't know racing Mercedes reacted to Ferrari going soft after the first stop and change to Medium for Hamilton. that is changing strategy is you don't know
    Yeah I don't know that's why I don't pretend to be better than the actual guys tasked to decide on the strategy at a given situation. You on the other hand should apply to be one of the Ferrari strategists coz it seems you are better than them LOL. I'm just not sure if you can apply hindsight during the races lol.

Yeah I don't know that's why I don't pretend to be better than the actual guys tasked to decide on the strategy at a given situation. You on the other hand should apply to be one of the Ferrari strategists coz it seems you are better than them LOL. I'm just not sure if you can apply hindsight during the races lol.
    Well, unarguably Mercedes were way better with strategy. They calculated everything perfectly and pitted under VSC where we didn't. Ferrari was a bit scared to do that i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Yes but I think they no longer have the edge in quali
    That's one of the positives since the last race in Russia. Also, our start improved a lot, well, at least for Seb.

That's one of the positives since the last race in Russia. Also, our start improved a lot, well, at least for Seb.
    which bodes well for Monaco.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, unarguably Mercedes were way better with strategy. They calculated everything perfectly and pitted under VSC where we didn't. Ferrari was a bit scared to do that i guess.
    Like I said in my other post, it wouldn't have mattered if Seb pitted under VSC as Ham was on the softer compound. With a lot of laps remaining, Lewis would've caught Seb anyways with the faster tire.

No body is pretending anything
    They have few hundred people at the base looking as the race evolve (People also said the same thing i was saying) and they can see the game Mercedes was playing know that it was now two against one, once Kimi was taking out by Bottas hitting kimi at the back. from then Mercedes played the dummy and made Ferrari coming early knowing that Vettel would be behind Bottas once he comes out, The strategist should see this game and make the call to switched to 3 stop strategy at least give it a go because no matter what Vettel would always be second even if Bottas had not had engine failure.
    That is why they are paid so much. I have been saying from the beginning of test day 1 that Ferrari had a good car, I understand some we would win some we would not, so i am just pointing out today it could have been better strategy wise before people like you start saying blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Win was within our bag. Hmmmm pretty disappointed
    thats racing, could been worse and retired with few laps left.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

On another issue, what the heck is Massa doing? This is the second time he delayed Seb while being lapped. Not that it cost him the race, but backmarkers shouldn't be a factor especially now that the top two teams are very closely matched. Maybe next time it would cost Seb.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    That is all i was pointing out, I am still happy with second position but first would have been better. just imagine Vettel came in just before Lewis came in he would have been over 7 seconds ahead of him. but he came in when the CV had already gone in, so other where including Lewis where now on top speed, that was Vettel was surprised how he lost 7 seconds.

true Rob, remember when Hakkinen retired on the last lap?

S3 is alot of traction & aero. We are loosing hell of time in that sector.
    Monaco circuit contains lot of slow corners , where aero & traction is imp ?? Any worry signs ??
    Damn i need that ham to be shown what Ferrari is... In wheel to wheel battle.

On another issue, what the heck is Massa doing? This is the second time he delayed Seb while being lapped. Not that it cost him the race, but backmarkers shouldn't be a factor especially now that the top two teams are very closely matched. Maybe next time it would cost Seb.
    I think massa seems to be doing wantedly now. This is getting little serious now

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    true Rob, remember when Hakkinen retired on the last lap?
    yeah and in WEC 6hrs of Spa last year my mates Gimmi and James retired with 5 minutes left in the race after leading for nearly the entire 6hrs.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE