Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mechanical grip and aerodynamics.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida.
    Posts
    256

    Mechanical grip and aerodynamics.

    I just want to know more how mechanical grip works and how you produce it.
    Also how important is the floor on this topic. I have an idea how arodynamics works at some points, but it will be nice if some can explain better. Thanks


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by 19000rpmF-2004 View Post
    I just want to know more how mechanical grip works and how you produce it.
    Also how important is the floor on this topic. I have an idea how arodynamics works at some points, but it will be nice if some can explain better. Thanks
    google: aerodynamics f1 car youtube

    I would recommend watching all of the videos. That should give you some idea of how low pressure and high pressure on certain areas of the car create downforce and why front wings

    , bargeboards, t-trays, floor, shark-fins, rear-wing, and diffuser affect the air flow and how aerodynamacists move that airlfow to certain areas of the car. Thats one of many variables

    mechanical grip which also include suspension and tyre setup.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by 19000rpmF-2004 View Post
    I just want to know more how mechanical grip works and how you produce it.
    Also how important is the floor on this topic. I have an idea how arodynamics works at some points, but it will be nice if some can explain better. Thanks
    Mechanical grip is how much grip or traction you have from the car with weight, center of gravity, weight distribution, suspension geometry, camber and canter angles of the wheels and the tire grip you get from softer compounds. Maybe I am forgetting to add something but essentially, mechanical grip is how much grip you get from mechancal side of the car.
    Aerodynamic grip is the grip created by downforce. Mostly from front wing and rear wing and diffuser. All those little bits and things on the car is to just get the rear wing to work and to optimise and to get the maximum air flowing to the wing and creating downforce. Anyone want to add anything?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Mechanical grip is how much grip or traction you have from the car with weight, center of gravity, weight distribution, suspension geometry, camber and canter angles of the wheels and the tire grip you get from softer compounds. Maybe I am forgetting to add something but essentially, mechanical grip is how much grip you get from mechancal side of the car.
    Aerodynamic grip is the grip created by downforce. Mostly from front wing and rear wing and diffuser. All those little bits and things on the car is to just get the rear wing to work and to optimise and to get the maximum air flowing to the wing and creating downforce. Anyone want to add anything?
    Thanks!!!


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    google: aerodynamics f1 car youtube

    I would recommend watching all of the videos. That should give you some idea of how low pressure and high pressure on certain areas of the car create downforce and why front wings

    , bargeboards, t-trays, floor, shark-fins, rear-wing, and diffuser affect the air flow and how aerodynamacists move that airlfow to certain areas of the car. Thats one of many variables

    mechanical grip which also include suspension and tyre setup.
    Thanks.


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,470
    The floor is the primary generator of downforce, some articles I've read say it accounts for roughly ½ of a cars total downforce, with the other ½ coming from front & rear wings. The front wing also acts to direct air where the engineers want it to go, for example away from the front wheels, to the sidepod intakes, etc. The rear wing also gets all this air to release from the car in a way that creates the least drag (parasitic drag is the phrase used).
    Now you know almost just as much as I do (after almost 50 years of following F1).

    Can't say for certain the % haven't changed radically for this new for 2017 aero specs, but I think the relationship probably has not strayed too much from the 75%/25%/25%.

    I hope someone can either back this up or correct me if I've got it wrong. Either way is good & I like continuing to learn too!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,298
    abbottcostello,

    I think you're wrong with the 75/25/25. Shouldn't this be 50/25/25?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    NY,USA
    Posts
    457
    All grip is "mechanical grip". The term simply means the adhesion between tyres and track. The degree of "mechanical grip" is influenced by many different things, ranging from the composition of the tyres to the composition of the track, to the temperature of track and tyres, to the weight of the car. It's also influenced by the degree of downforce, or what some people call "aerodynamic grip". The more downforce, the greater the grip levels. Obviously this grip is greater when the car is going faster and drops off dramatically when the car is going slowly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    The floor is the primary generator of downforce, some articles I've read say it accounts for roughly ½ of a cars total downforce, with the other ½ coming from front & rear wings. The front wing also acts to direct air where the engineers want it to go, for example away from the front wheels, to the sidepod intakes, etc. The rear wing also gets all this air to release from the car in a way that creates the least drag (parasitic drag is the phrase used).
    Now you know almost just as much as I do (after almost 50 years of following F1).

    Can't say for certain the % haven't changed radically for this new for 2017 aero specs, but I think the relationship probably has not strayed too much from the 75%/25%/25%.

    I hope someone can either back this up or correct me if I've got it wrong. Either way is good & I like continuing to learn too!
    I think some of the things you said is right.
    The floor itself does not create most of downforce, the diffuser does and help floor create some downforce, the floor feeds the diffuser. When it was in the early 90 and late 80s when they had skirts on the side of the car, then, the whole floor helped to create downforce because they made almost like a vacuum under the floor, so it would suck the car to the ground.
    The diffuser is to accelerate the air, when air is accelerated, the pressure drops. The diffuser does this by increasing the flow area for the same air mass. When area increased, the air speeds up to fill the space, when air speeds up, pressure drops, so, higher pressure above the diffuser, low pressure below, increase downforce. The floor does help increase downforce by kind of elongating the diffuser effect by accelerating the air. The floor is not sealed with skirts, but the leading edges of the floor has pieces that help create vortecies to go along the edge of the floor bottom to seal, but its not like having a solid skirt.

    You are right about the front wing, it does help to feed the air to the right places and also move the air out of the way of the tyers.
    The monkey seat in the rear is to help the rear wing flow to reattach, which help to reduce drag. I think it also has that little bit of blown diffuser thing, but not so much, but every little bit helps.

    I hope it makes it little more clear, but still maybe muddy! If someone wants to add, please do!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida.
    Posts
    256
    Thank
    You
    All


    "Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,760
    Might want to read up on this....all 12 pages.

    Tech F1i - Canadian GP Analysis

    http://en.f1i.com/magazine/270777-te...-montreal.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •