Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Canada GP Free practice & qualifying

It will be a very tight battle tomorrow. It looks like Merc has fixed their tire issues both with degradation and temperature.

Another solid day at the office. Nice job Ferrari. The car is looking great. Would like to see the circuit get a bit of a clean up, but no biggie if it doesn't happen.

Any idea about race pace compared to Mercs???
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

LOL kimi says there is no friction between Seb and himself,he was just unhappy to end up 2nd

Commentators ignore his interview completely, dont even acknowledge that point
    Last edited by Rob; 9th June 2017 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    LOL kimi says there is no friction between Seb and himself,he was just unhappy to end up 2nd

Commentators ignore his interview completely, dont even acknowledge that point
    Sadly drama and fake news get more clicks and attention than the truth
    Last edited by Rob; 9th June 2017 at 20:21.

So how are we? Good?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    So how are we? Good?
    Hello Stefa,

Just take a look on this page you can find all timings

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formul...information-29

;)

So how are we? Good?

Yeah....we're good. Just a couple of "slip sliden away" here and there from everyone as this track hardly gets any use time; dirty. All in all a good day. Tomorrow FP3 and quali.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart18 View Post
    Hello Stefa,

Just take a look on this page you can find all timings

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formul...information-29

;)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Yeah....we're good. Just a couple of "slip sliden away" here and there from everyone as this track hardly gets any use time; dirty. All in all a good day. Tomorrow FP3 and quali.
    Thank you. I saw the results, but are we in really good shape for another 1-2? How is our race pace compared to competition?

Thank you. I saw the results, but are we in really good shape for another 1-2? How is our race pace compared to competition?

Looks to be close due to the track from both LH and VB....I don't see why we(the Scuderia) cannot not lock out the front row again. Going to be an interesting quali and race as well

from both Ferrari and Mercedes; fast pace due to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Looks to be close due to the track from both LH and VB....I don't see why we(the Scuderia) cannot not lock out the front row again. Going to be an interesting quali and race as well

from both Ferrari and Mercedes; fast pace due to the track.
    Thank you

A rather strange race sim with to many slow laps, but here they are:
    Attachment 7169
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    A rather strange race sim with to many slow laps, but here they are:
    Attachment 7169
    traffic maybe.
    Forza Ferrari

Looking very close in both race sim and qualy. Still FP2 though

Just a thouht:
    Everyone will probably improve from Friday. Mercs Always improve the most going into Q3 (also Monaco with BOT almost getting pole).
    The times on Friday were very similar. We know that we are using first spec old engines, because we have been using more parts we are usign these engines and part for FP and don't push them to hard so we can do a lot of practice sessions with them.
    On Friday we were 10kph slower on the straight compared to Merc. I don't think that can be true. Perhaps 5kph but not 10. So if we put the "new" engine in and use it we will win "easy" time to Merc. Ofcourse they will also improve..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    Just a thouht:
    Everyone will probably improve from Friday. Mercs Always improve the most going into Q3 (also Monaco with BOT almost getting pole).
    The times on Friday were very similar. We know that we are using first spec old engines, because we have been using more parts we are usign these engines and part for FP and don't push them to hard so we can do a lot of practice sessions with them.
    On Friday we were 10kph slower on the straight compared to Merc. I don't think that can be true. Perhaps 5kph but not 10. So if we put the "new" engine in and use it we will win "easy" time to Merc. Ofcourse they will also improve..
    The thing about top speeds is that you cant trust them anymore (putting fuel levels and tire deg aside), unless it is a huge difference like with Honda, the difference can all be down to other things like set-up or more downforce, some sacrifice top speed to be faster in the corners. That's how you get Manor last year with the top speed, Sauber this year. So I think its clear for me, you can't say which one is better, or by how much just looking at top speed.

Vettel: We could have had a better session today (Friday), but hopefully we’ll have it on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    The thing about top speeds is that you cant trust them anymore (putting fuel levels and tire deg aside), unless it is a huge difference like with Honda, the difference can all be down to other things like set-up or more downforce, some sacrifice top speed to be faster in the corners. That's how you get Manor last year with the top speed, Sauber this year. So I think its clear for me, you can't say which one is better, or by how much just looking at top speed.
    Agree.
    The point I was trying to make, if w were 10kph slower. So or we have lower power, or we have higher downforce/drag then Mercs. The thing is we are using old spec 1 engines in FP. So my guess is that this difference will be slower come qualy just because of engine. So that is time we win to them, apart from all the other factors.
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    Agree.
    The point I was trying to make, if w were 10kph slower. So or we have lower power, or we have higher downforce/drag then Mercs. The thing is we are using old spec 1 engines in FP. So my guess is that this difference will be slower come qualy just because of engine. So that is time we win to them, apart from all the other factors.
    Of course, that is time won in comparison. But there so many things, maybe Mercs have not turned up the engine so even that would take your conclusion to 0 meaning. Elsewhere different fuel loads, different set-ups etc. We just have to wait and see. But its good you have picked up on that.

“A GOOD FRIDAY ON A TRICKY CIRCUIT”

Kimi happy so far, Seb finds the right direction

Montreal, June 9th – Warm weather and a ‘green’ track were the conditions in which the first two practice sessions took place at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. As usual, we can expect a lot of track improvement over the next two days but, for the moment, Kimi Raikkonen’s lap time at the end of the afternoon was the best overall (1’12”935 on Ultrasoft tires), while team-mate Sebastian Vettel was in third spot with a best lap time of 1’13”200.

“It was a good day”, says Kimi. “Things worked out smoothly and the car felt ok both on high and low fuel; that’s the main thing. So far so good, but it’s still Friday and obviously there’s always things to improve. The nature of the circuit is quite tricky because of the low downforce configuration; in some corners, like in the chicanes, you have to use the kerbs a lot to go fast, but because of the low downforce the car is bouncing and it always feels very slippery. But at this track, given the long straights, to achieve pure lap time you have to drive in that configuration. Today we started pretty well, we keep on doing our usual work, trying to improve for tomorrow”.

Seb was slightly less happy than his team-mate, but saw a substantial improvement over the day: “Today I was fighting with the car at the beginning, but in the end I understood what we needed and what we had to do. Tomorrow should be a better day. It was an interesting session. The track was slippery and very dirty this morning. We try to do our best, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. But in the end we found the right direction. So we’ll see what tomorrow brings, but I am confident it will be better. We focus on what we have to do. We could have had a better session today, but hopefully we’ll have it tomorrow”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Both Seb and Kimi have a new gearbox - no penalties as they used their previous gearbox for six consecutive events

My guess is that we are 0.5s ahead in quali.

This is what Autostport says:

PURE PACE RANKING

1. Ferrari (Raikkonen) 1m12.935s
    2. Mercedes (Hamilton) 1m13.150s
    3. Red Bull (Verstappen) 1m13.388s
    4. Williams (Massa) 1m14.063s
    5. McLaren (Alonso) 1m14.245s
    6. Force India (Ocon) 1m14.299s
    7. Toro Rosso (Kvyat) 1m14.461s
    8. Haas (Grosjean) 1m14.566s
    9. Renault (Hulkenberg) 1m14.604s
    10. Sauber (Ericsson) 1m15.611s

"It's definitely a lot better than it was in Monaco - Monaco was a disaster," Hamilton said. "Two tenths margin is quite good in that session, so I don't know. We'll see.

"If we can improve the car overnight then I think it can be very, very close. It looks like it could be within a tenth, so it's exciting.

"It's feeling a lot more normal. There's still stuff [to do], to get these tyres working is difficult for everyone I think, [but] I didn't have a problem with the ultra-soft today."

The long runs support the impression that Mercedes is back in position to put Ferrari under serious pressure again this weekend, with Bottas averaging a lap time less than a tenth slower than Raikkonen on the ultra-soft tyre and Hamilton slightly quicker than Vettel on the super-soft.

LONG-RUN RANKING (ultra-soft)

1. Ferrari (Raikkonen) 1m16.299s (12 laps)
    2. Mercedes (Bottas) 1m16.346s (7 laps)
    3. Williams (Massa) 1m16.673s (12 laps)
    4. Force India (Perez) 1m17.098s (11 laps)
    5. Red Bull (Verstappen) 1m17.227s (5 laps)
    6. Renault (Hulkenberg) 1m17.311s (7 laps)
    7. Haas (Grosjean) 1m17.349s (6 laps)
    8. Toro Rosso (Kvyat) 1m17.450s (6 laps)
    9. Sauber (Wehrlein) 1m18.532s (7 laps)

LONG-RUN RANKING (super-soft)

1. Mercedes (Hamilton) 1m16.234s (5 laps)
    2. Ferrari (Vettel) 1m16.379s (8 laps)
    3. Force India (Perez) 1m16.737s (5 laps)
    4. Renault (Hulkenberg) 1m17.291s (6 laps)
    5. Toro Rosso (Kvyat) 1m17.656s (3 laps)
    6. Williams (Stroll) 1m17.937s (7 laps)
    7. Haas (Magnussen) 1m18.055s (9 laps)
    8. Sauber (Ericsson) 1m18.869s (6 laps)

There is no true read on Red Bull's long-run pace, thanks to Daniel Ricciardo suffering an engine problem early on in practice two and completing no meaningful running, before Max Verstappen broke down midway through his long run on the ultra-soft, having complained he was "slow on the straights" before suffering gearbox dramas.

Mark hughs said mercedes will have the edge today as temperatures are much warmer also minizing RB's issues from yesterday

Any good live stream links for FP3? How do you guys find the links by the way? Any websites you recommend? Thx!!

RB going out early im guessing since they lost lots of time yesterday, Quali should be same track temp maybe little warmer

Quote Originally Posted by SeaAb View Post
    Any good live stream links for FP3? How do you guys find the links by the way? Any websites you recommend? Thx!!
    http://www.totalsportek.com/f1/canad...ix-highlights/

Vettel on track using US

Seb sets a 1:14:533

this circuit looks so awesome