Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix du Canada 2017 Race

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    S1,S2 should suit the ferrari car and S3 the mercedes. The tight section is where ferrari gains the most time...
    Good recovery by seb today, he is stil leading the WDC. But the gap is just 12 points. Really hope that the ferrari will bounce back in Baku.. Please let it happen.
    Yes, you're right 'the gap is just 12 points'.

However 12 points in the lead after 7 races..I bet a very large number of all the forum-members would have advised you seeing a doctor if you
    had said that end of the 2016 season..

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Vettel: We should have spotted that and get a free pit stop. In the end we did it when everyone was back at pace & we had to catch up
    yup...He knows it and realizes the Scuderia should have taken advantage of it(his broken front wing and they should have pitted him). He is "grown-up" about the situation.

Ferrari made a mistake when, following the safety car's entrance to remove Massa and Sainz cars, he did not immediately call Vettel in pit lane to replace the jersey, leaving him on the track and thus vanishing a precious jolly.
    "When the safety car came out we did not realize we had a problem on the front wing, we were on the track and lost a great opportunity. After the break-in I was forced to make a comeback, pity not to climb On the podium ".
    source:https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ve...merita-917503/

Even we saw on the on-boards that he had a wing problem....it was barely hanging on. How Ferrari could not see this on their cameras????

11 Jun 2017 Maurizio Arrivabenne
    Unfortunately, our race was compromised right from the start, when Seb’s car was damaged so he was no longer able to give it his best shot. Initially, our data showed the damage was not too serious. It was only in the following laps that the wing broke, causing further damage to the turning vanes and the floor. As for Kimi, towards the end he had a problem with the braking system control. Right from tomorrow in Maranello we will carry out a detailed analysis of the race, making the most of the data gathered as we prepare as well as possible for the next round in Baku.
    source:http://formula1.ferrari.com/en/canad...rom-the-start/
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 11th June 2017 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seb and Multi 2-1.....
    Well, to his credit he did actually overtake the car ahead too at least.

Ocon is shaping up great though.

I can't watch sky f1 anymore the bias for Hamilton and antiferrari / Italian is just too much now.

Bloody Canada, red cars always on losing side. Good recovery from Vettel, pretty poor they haven't spotted him, it was pretty clear from on board that right endplate was damaged, so they should check that immediately. I don't know how much more cameras they have, but even if they had an on-board feedback someone should noticed it.

People talking that Raikkonen's mistake (caused by a car problem) was an elaborate team order. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Where did he finish?
    Kimi finished ahead of every driver behind him! Take away Lewis & Bottas who not even Seb could catch, and there you have it! No one around better than Kimi for that best in the business seat @ Ferrari! Imagine the likes of Verstappen !! Or maybe Saintz, or the former heavyweight champion of crashing, Grosejean ! Kimi knows what he's doing! So does Seb. Remember WCC, whoe's on 1st !!
    Last edited by Brembo; 11th June 2017 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Remember WCC, whoe's on 1st !!
    Mercedes are first

Ferrari needs to come strong in Baku.
    Hamilton took a dig at Ferrari saying a big blow to Ferrari.
    Such an idiotic comment. He truly survived in race based on luck. Else seb would have caught him.

We need to give a big response to that on track.

It was a "racing incident" (Max clipping Vettels wing - right side)

Vettel was sandwiched - Bottas on his left and Max on his right - going into turn 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7tgO2G5xtQ

Too bad we couldn't properly challenge Merc in this race. Max clipping Seb's front wing was very unfortunate but not Seb's fault. On the bright side, Seb managed to save way more in his bad day than Lewis' bad day in Monaco. I don't know how Kimi can be that disastrous though. He should've been on that podium i think.

Really hope we can fight back in Baku, the slow technical corners should suit us more while Merc the long straight?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    uhhhmmm....its got that looooooooooooooooooooooong straight....and prior to it ( i believe turns 16-19;maybe 17-20) is flat out!!!!....so another power track.
    True, but I think the turns will be good for the Ferrari chassis. Even Monaco has the tunnel.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    True, but I think the turns will be good for the Ferrari chassis. Even Monaco has the tunnel.
    The tunnel in Monaco doesn't have that top speed though. But i think you are right about the slow technical corners Baku has. It will be a tight race nevertheless. This should've been a tight race but Max ruined Seb's race.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Too bad we couldn't properly challenge Merc in this race. Max clipping Seb's front wing was very unfortunate but not Seb's fault. On the bright side, Seb managed to save way more in his bad day than Lewis' bad day in Monaco. I don't know how Kimi can be that disastrous though. He should've been on that podium i think.

Really hope we can fight back in Baku, the slow technical corners should suit us more while Merc the long straight?
    Yes, the clipping of the front wing was unfortunate; but Bottas-Seb-Max were about to go 3 wide in turn 1....someone or something has to give. Also, unfortunate and a second

chance, Ferrari could have pitted Vettel under the SC after the SAI-GRO-MASS incident.

Not defending Hamilton, but to compare Monaco and Montreal with regards to overtakes are 2 completely different tracks; even the rookie Stroll managed some overtakes in Montreal

and Sebs overtakes of both "Mary Kay's" was spectacular. Seb coming from the back to overtake and manage a 4th place finish could only have happened due to the track; if it was

Monaco then Vettels finish would not have been so stellar.

Yes, the clipping of the front wing was unfortunate; but Bottas-Seb-Max were about to go 3 wide in turn 1....someone or something has to give. Also, unfortunate and a second

chance, Ferrari could have pitted Vettel under the SC after the SAI-GRO-MASS incident.
    I agree, maybe Seb should've taken it more easy in that corner.

Not defending Hamilton, but to compare Monaco and Montreal with regards to overtakes are 2 completely different tracks; even the rookie Stroll managed some overtakes in Montreal

and Sebs overtakes of both "Mary Kay's" was spectacular. Seb coming from the back to overtake and manage a 4th place finish could only have happened due to the track; if it was

Monaco then Vettels finish would not have been so stellar.
    I agree, i just meant that Ferrari capitalized more on our bad day than Merc on theirs. The bright side is that we had a bad day here rather than in Monaco. Hope for a clean race in Baku.

The only reason Ham won because Seb was not behind him from the start, If only there would have been no trouble for Vet then it would have been a different story now.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    The only reason Ham won because Seb was not behind him from the start, If only there would have been no trouble for Vet then it would have been a different story now.
    'Yeah breaks of the race. That is why it is important for Seb to score maximum points in every race cause happens. It could've been worse if he DNFd then he and Lewis will be equal in the standings.

For me the worst thing is that after Ferrari 1-2 in Monaco and peatty big lead in WDC and some in CWC, two weeks later Mercedes did exactly the same to us! SV still leads in WDC, but CWC will be bloody hard this year...

Quote Originally Posted by wappad View Post
    Yes, you're right 'the gap is just 12 points'.

However 12 points in the lead after 7 races..I bet a very large number of all the forum-members would have advised you seeing a doctor if you
    had said that end of the 2016 season..
    I agree we have to be happy with how this 7 races went. Nobody expected the Ferrari to be so strong this year.
    And like I said what comes around goes around also in f1. Who knows maybe the Mercedes will have their problems with the tyres again in Baku. All I want is some clean races from both of the Ferrari drivers.

Every team & driver will have bad day in any weekend. I agree to that. Unfortunately it was for Ferrari today. Just want to add my points related to it.

1. Vet had bad day yesterday in the race, where he was expected to win or challenge for win. But where is Kimi Raikkonen in this phase. ???? If your team mate is having such a day, why don't you capitalise on it & fight for team & give a challenge to rivals ?

2. Bottas did take win in Sochi, when Lewis was struggling . So bottas did favour to ham.

3. Bottas once again, blocked vet for ham win in Barcelona. So twice already bottas did favour to ham. He's playing team game.

Where is Kimi???

Having strong car & your are not performing well. Giving podiums to RB who are not strong at all.
    Consecutive podium for RB.

I mean when your team mate is in trouble u should raise your game & play for team or challenge the opposition. Unfortunately I don't see this in Kimi. He's resembling massa years in ferrari to me. Who if struck in traffic, will awlays be in traffic.

See at RB, when one team mate is out of the race. Other is getting podium finish.
    When ham is having trouble, bottas is doing job for mercs.
    Above are best examples.

If such is the case it's hard to win WCC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    For me the worst thing is that after Ferrari 1-2 in Monaco and peatty big lead in WDC and some in CWC, two weeks later Mercedes did exactly the same to us! SV still leads in WDC, but CWC will be bloody hard this year...
    We can aim for WDC. With such performances from vet.
    But not WCC, with such performances from Kimi.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    I agree we have to be happy with how this 7 races went. Nobody expected the Ferrari to be so strong this year.
    And like I said what comes around goes around also in f1. Who knows maybe the Mercedes will have their problems with the tyres again in Baku. All I want is some clean races from both of the Ferrari drivers.
    or maybe they solved it

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    or maybe they solved it
    What's with all the negativity all the time and favoring Mercedes saying the are better, they are faster? Are you sure you're a Ferrari fan?

I never expected us to be fighting for wins let alone the championship after last year. I'm more than happy and luck is an integral part of winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had to suspect Merc would come back hard here after the result they had in Monaco. I think Ferrari entered the race knowing it would be tough, but they had a genuine chance to compete. Pity that every time Max gets overzealous it seems to affect the Ferraris' in a negative way. A bad result today should have been P3 & P4.
    Big credit to Merc Team, I thought after the safety car they might have problems getting tyres back in the "window", but they handled it well (even if they weren't really under huge pressure from behind).
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Maurizio Arrivabene: “Unfortunately, our race was compromised right from the start, when Seb’s car was damaged so he was no longer able to give it his best shot. Initially, our data showed the damage was not too serious. It was only in the following laps that the wing broke, causing further damage to the turning vanes and the floor. As for Kimi, towards the end he had a problem with the braking system. Right from tomorrow in Maranello we will carry out a detailed analysis of the race, making the most of the data gathered as we prepare as well as possible for the next round in Baku.”

Kimi Raikkonen: “At the start I got wheelspin off the line and obviously we lost quite a few places. From that moment it was not an easy race: I struggled in the first few laps, it was difficult to get past . We decided to switch our tactics to two stops to create a speed difference with fresh tires. We had a very good pace again and we were nicely going back close to the guys in front. Unfortunately, we had the issue with the brakes and we could not really use our speed. In the last ten laps I had hardly no brakes; it’s a pity but at least we could bring the car back and get some points. It was not an easy day for the team but this is how it goes sometimes. If this is our bad day, then we have to take it and go forward.”

Sebastian Vettel: “I think my start was not particularly good but at the same time not that bad either. The car was good, I think it was clear that today we could have been better than fourth, but that’s how we finished and what is done is done. Overall, we know we have a strong car. Looking back at the start, Bottas and I were trying to go from the inside when Max came around but these things can happen. Then, with the safety car on track I did not realize that the damage to the front wing was as bad as it actually was, we only noticed it at full speed. There was also some additional damage to other parts of the bodywork, hard to say what they cost me in terms of laptime, but the car did not feel as the one I had driven in the past two days. Yet the pace was there and I would have liked some more laps to finish on the podium, the trophy here looked nice… That was my target and I missed it. But we are growing up as a team.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    What's with all the negativity all the time and favoring Mercedes saying the are better, they are faster? Are you sure you're a Ferrari fan?

I never expected us to be fighting for wins let alone the championship after last year. I'm more than happy and luck is an integral part of winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1
    I am enjoying this season, not going to let some negativity spoil that!!!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I had a bad feeling about this race before the start and so it proved, but Seb was amazing and with a few more laps, maybe a podium. It wasn't a race out front for HAM and he just cruised home. Our car still has the pace in race trim but it wasn't our day, thankfully we still scored points, Max needs a severe reprimand and Kimi needs to up his game. Crofty should be silenced forthwith.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I had a bad feeling about this race before the start and so it proved, but Seb was amazing and with a few more laps, maybe a podium. It wasn't a race out front for HAM and he just cruised home. Our car still has the pace in race trim but it wasn't our day, thankfully we still scored points, Max needs a severe reprimand and Kimi needs to up his game. Crofty should be silenced forthwith.
    I could also say the same, I wasnt even excited before the race, because I knew that something big will happen to one of our drivers and it did. I feel much more confident for the Baku race, I dont know why...

The long straight on Baku will be though. I think we will be good there, but I still think Merc will have an edge. Also, don't forget we got first row in Russia but therefore BOT got the good slip stream so..
    FI was very good in Canada and they will be good in Baku. They can cause trouble with clearing traffic etc since they will be very good on the straights..
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Mercedes had 24/7 shifts for 10 days for set-up breakthrough

Mercedes kept its factory working flat out on 24/7 shifts for an 10 days after the Monaco GP to discover the set-up breakthrough that helped it bounce back with victory in Canada.

The scale of its problems in Monaco a fortnight ago, where Lewis Hamilton was knocked out in Q2 and Valtteri Bottas failed to finish on the podium, prompted a dramatic call to arms at Mercedes' Brackley factory.

And leaving no stone unturned, its staff skipped leave to keep the facility – including its simulator – running non-stop for 10 whole days to try to discover what it needed to do to help its tricky W08 work better.

And with Hamilton securing pole position and an important win in Canada, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has opened up about just how much effort went in to turning around the team's fortunes.

"After Monaco we pretty quickly understood why the Sunday was like it was – really bad," he explained. "But we needed to come back and understand what happened on Friday and Saturday.

"So a group of engineers came together, in order to calmly assess what happened. And any time of the day or night, when you were in the factory, there were lights on and people were working with the simulator.

"It ran 24/7 for 10 days in a row, and nobody took a day off in that group. There are no silver bullets in this sport: it is about analysing the data and making conclusions.

"So we looked at all areas: it was aero , it was mechanical balance, it was set-up work, it was the tyres themselves, and the way the drivers drove the car."

Motorsport.com understands that the focus for Mercedes revolved around running an intensive number of simulator and driver-in-loop programmes to go back through the Monaco weekend and work out what the team should have done at the time.

Such an approach, of re-running previous race events in such fine detail, is not common but Mercedes felt that understanding exactly where it had gone wrong in Monaco would generate big benefits for the remainder of the campaign.

That work eventually delivered a few areas of interest for the team that helped it revise it approach for the Montreal weekend – not in terms of car parts but more in relation to different set-up avenues.

But despite the good progress made, and the team's first 1-2 of the season, Wolff remains cautious about all of Mercedes' problems being behind the team.

When asked if he felt Canada provided a breakthrough for the team, he said: "I never feel that. Monaco looked pretty grim but we didn't dive into depression.

"Montreal looks pretty great but I wouldn't say now the problems are solved. Certainly we have understood it much better, with another set of valuable data points, but now we have to move to Baku."

source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...hrough-917683/