Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix du Canada 2017 Race

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Mercedes had 24/7 shifts for 10 days for set-up breakthrough

Mercedes kept its factory working flat out on 24/7 shifts for an 10 days after the Monaco GP to discover the set-up breakthrough that helped it bounce back with victory in Canada.

The scale of its problems in Monaco a fortnight ago, where Lewis Hamilton was knocked out in Q2 and Valtteri Bottas failed to finish on the podium, prompted a dramatic call to arms at Mercedes' Brackley factory.

And leaving no stone unturned, its staff skipped leave to keep the facility – including its simulator – running non-stop for 10 whole days to try to discover what it needed to do to help its tricky W08 work better.

And with Hamilton securing pole position and an important win in Canada, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has opened up about just how much effort went in to turning around the team's fortunes.

"After Monaco we pretty quickly understood why the Sunday was like it was – really bad," he explained. "But we needed to come back and understand what happened on Friday and Saturday.

"So a group of engineers came together, in order to calmly assess what happened. And any time of the day or night, when you were in the factory, there were lights on and people were working with the simulator.

"It ran 24/7 for 10 days in a row, and nobody took a day off in that group. There are no silver bullets in this sport: it is about analysing the data and making conclusions.

"So we looked at all areas: it was aero , it was mechanical balance, it was set-up work, it was the tyres themselves, and the way the drivers drove the car."

Motorsport.com understands that the focus for Mercedes revolved around running an intensive number of simulator and driver-in-loop programmes to go back through the Monaco weekend and work out what the team should have done at the time.

Such an approach, of re-running previous race events in such fine detail, is not common but Mercedes felt that understanding exactly where it had gone wrong in Monaco would generate big benefits for the remainder of the campaign.

That work eventually delivered a few areas of interest for the team that helped it revise it approach for the Montreal weekend – not in terms of car parts but more in relation to different set-up avenues.

But despite the good progress made, and the team's first 1-2 of the season, Wolff remains cautious about all of Mercedes' problems being behind the team.

When asked if he felt Canada provided a breakthrough for the team, he said: "I never feel that. Monaco looked pretty grim but we didn't dive into depression.

"Montreal looks pretty great but I wouldn't say now the problems are solved. Certainly we have understood it much better, with another set of valuable data points, but now we have to move to Baku."

source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...hrough-917683/
    Hopefully Ferrari does the same going into Baku, we cant let them get too far ahead

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Every team & driver will have bad day in any weekend. I agree to that. Unfortunately it was for Ferrari today. Just want to add my points related to it.

1. Vet had bad day yesterday in the race, where he was expected to win or challenge for win. But where is Kimi Raikkonen in this phase. ???? If your team mate is having such a day, why don't you capitalise on it & fight for team & give a challenge to rivals ?

2. Bottas did take win in Sochi, when Lewis was struggling . So bottas did favour to ham.

3. Bottas once again, blocked vet for ham win in Barcelona. So twice already bottas did favour to ham. He's playing team game.

Where is Kimi???

Having strong car & your are not performing well. Giving podiums to RB who are not strong at all.
    Consecutive podium for RB.

I mean when your team mate is in trouble u should raise your game & play for team or challenge the opposition. Unfortunately I don't see this in Kimi. He's resembling massa years in ferrari to me. Who if struck in traffic, will awlays be in traffic.

See at RB, when one team mate is out of the race. Other is getting podium finish.
    When ham is having trouble, bottas is doing job for mercs.
    Above are best examples.

If such is the case it's hard to win WCC this year.
    I agree with you. Why he lost a place to Perez and failed to keep up or even pass, while Vetel was able to get close to him even with worn tyres. Wake up, Kimi... He is not of any help to the team when it really matters.
    Also Kimi seems to be taking a nap in every safety car period....I think majority of you here agree.

Kimi was useless on sunday he did not protect Vettel at all from mad max, and he did not try again on sunday, the earlier Ferrari get rid of him the better, he does not care about winning, he would never have tried what Vettel did to get 4th yesterday, i have neve rated him and i will never did. Bottas is working for Lewis and Mercedes I don't know what Kimi is doing.
    Last edited by vetalo; 12th June 2017 at 17:37.

I am not sure how Kimi could protect Seb from Max? Seb is a big boy and it was just one of those things that happened.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Infi24r View Post
    Mercedes are first
    Your right! 6pts ahead for now. Kimi will get Ferrari back on top next race. And a Seb win will send Ferrari to the moon points wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post
    I can't watch sky f1 anymore the bias for Hamilton and antiferrari / Italian is just too much now.
    Could not agree with you more! I have had a gut full of it being the Hamilton show, it is becoming an absolute joke the way they go on about him. Also it is OK for other teams to use team orders as they encouraged it during PEREZ/OCON battle and also saying that Mercedes should call Bottas No.2 after the second race of the season but FERRARI are made out to be the devils of the sport even when they don't do it and it is only presumed they have been done it. I was surprised that they didn't say FERRARI caused Kimi's brake issues to get Seb in front.

I see all 7 races as possible race wins for Ferrari such was the car potential. Few times we were unlucky.
    Few times RB &mercs fools did ruin our race.
    Now that mercs have solved its tyre issues, Ferrari need act together & out race them with developments. Else it's going to be tough.
    Giving strong car to ham is more dangerous, if he hits sweet spot he will be in cruise mode. No matter what other car is at.
    This year driver in the car are making huge difference.

I want to see race director, team principal from both teams (Ferrari & RB) driver (vet, max) sit down and have a discussion regarding the starts.
    Max has been too aggressive in both the occasions. 3 cars at turn 1 doesn't work out. Max seems to win the race in turn 1. Some one needs to back out & handle it properly. Unfortunately on both occasions Ferrari suffered.
    I'm worried going forward, Mr horner earlier said RB drivers will make the difference in championship.
    I never thought this is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I want to see race director, team principal from both teams (Ferrari & RB) driver (vet, max) sit down and have a discussion regarding the starts.
    Max has been too aggressive in both the occasions. 3 cars at turn 1 doesn't work out. Max seems to win the race in turn 1. Some one needs to back out & handle it properly. Unfortunately on both occasions Ferrari suffered.
    I'm worried going forward, Mr horner earlier said RB drivers will make the difference in championship.
    I never thought this is the way to do it.
    Dont be silly! It was a brilliant move by max. The wing clip was unintentional and unfortunate. It would very well have ended his own race. Its racing!
    Dangerous was Kmag's moves in defending his position.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by vetalo View Post
    Kimi was useless on sunday he did not protect Vettel at all from mad max, and he did not try again on sunday, the earlier Ferrari get rid of him the better, he does not care about winning, he would never have tried what Vettel did to get 4th yesterday, i have neve rated him and i will never did. Bottas is working for Lewis and Mercedes I don't know what Kimi is doing.
    I fail to see what Kimi has to do with all this. Poor guy is trying to get his own car out of the mess.
    SV doesnt need protecting. Nor does any other driver.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiasii View Post
    The only reason Ham won because Seb was not behind him from the start, If only there would have been no trouble for Vet then it would have been a different story now.
    Agree with this. Hamilton took pole and merc won the race. However, am inclined to believe that had seb not had the wing problem, he would have taken Hamilton by the end of the race.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    Dont be silly! It was a brilliant move by max. The wing clip was unintentional and unfortunate. It would very well have ended his own race. Its racing!
    Dangerous was Kmag's moves in defending his position.
    I'm not saying that move should not be made.
    Just sit down n talk so that he can be less aggressive at start n there will be no harm to others.
    By being aggressive at start there high chance or possibility of crash or SC etc and also he can be out of the race too. Is it what he's looking for or other cars are around???

I fail to see what Kimi has to do with all this. Poor guy is trying to get his own car out of the mess.
    SV doesnt need protecting. Nor does any other driver.
    1. Kimi start ???
    2. Lost out places to FI
    3. All the time behind FI ....

Seb had one bad weekend, teammate should capitalize on that n score maximum for the team. Which kimi didn't do, that car has lot of potential than the place that he earned.
    Last race n earlier races too.

Agree with this. Hamilton took pole and merc won the race. However, am inclined to believe that had seb not had the wing problem, he would have taken Hamilton by the end of the race.
    Toto said this time they were a lot faster than everyone else, and if you remember Ham put a fastest lap near the end of the race on old tires, i really think that Merc is the fastes car when its in the sweet spot on setup and tires

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Toto said this time they were a lot faster than everyone else, and if you remember Ham put a fastest lap near the end of the race on old tires, i really think that Merc is the fastes car when its in the sweet spot on setup and tires
    the only question is - is their current setup suitable for all tracks compared to ours?
    Forza Ferrari

1st race of the season that Seb has been off the podium and to come 4th shows the car is still strong. Lewis would not have had it so easy if Seb was not in trouble, he could just cruise and manage his tyres the whole race with no real pressure from behind. Not sure why some fans seem to keep saying Merc is the best.....
    Forza Ferrari

Cmon bring on the Baku GP, I want a ferrari 1-2 please god let it happen. They said what comes around, goes around.. :)
    Last edited by Vettel165; 13th June 2017 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1st race of the season that Seb has been off the podium and to come 4th shows the car is still strong. Lewis would not have had it so easy if Seb was not in trouble, he could just cruise and manage his tyres the whole race with no real pressure from behind. Not sure why some fans seem to keep saying Merc is the best.....

I just hope those huge straits in Baku won't be a problem for us...

Why is every1 crappin on about how fast the Mercs were when the truth is the only reason they won is cause of Seb's bad luck turn 1 incident? Surely every1 should know that if that didnt happen he wouldve won the race or at least been in the top 2.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

This was a tough race for Vettel, lap after lap the kept locking up in the hairpin, he rarely got it right in that corner...

Did Pirelli play around with the tyre pressures for this race? I heard them say in the broadcast that the tyres were set at 20 PSI in the front and 18 in the back but not sure if that would automatically be bad for Ferrari, I think the pressure in the back would suit them more than in the front possibly which may explain Vettel's troubles with the hairpin?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Vettel best time in 3rd sector was 0.5 quicker than Hamilton. From FIA site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This was a tough race for Vettel, lap after lap the kept locking up in the hairpin, he rarely got it right in that corner...

Did Pirelli play around with the tyre pressures for this race? I heard them say in the broadcast that the tyres were set at 20 PSI in the front and 18 in the back but not sure if that would automatically be bad for Ferrari, I think the pressure in the back would suit them more than in the front possibly which may explain Vettel's troubles with the hairpin?
    I don't know Tony, tough maybe in the first 10 laps (pitting him in lap 6 after the SC)....He did 8 overtakes total and he almost lost it overtaking Ocon with that little squabble

under braking going into the turn (on-board looks dramatic)....came from 18th to 4th.....amazing or awesome comeback and what is expected from him when he put his "head

down" and focuses.

Five pole positions and four race wins in seven races will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Five pole positions and four race wins in seven races will do that.
    And could quite easily be 7 wins for Ferrari.....they are not better than us.
    Forza Ferrari

^This. They are not better than us.

Was a great fight back from Seb for such valuable points. I felt certain we got the second pitstop wrong, but was thrilled to be proved wrong. Nice job Ferrari. Proper warrior race. Bakuuuuu!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The results are what they are. I suspect you were not going about in 2012 insisting that the Ferrari was as good as the other cars. You're just trying to puff up your boy Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    The results are what they are. I suspect you were not going about in 2012 insisting that the Ferrari was as good as the other cars. You're just trying to puff up your boy Lewis.
    Ah so because I think Ferrari are doing a great job and easily a match for Merc it makes me a Lewis fan.....wonderful.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by No1.FerrariFan! View Post
    Could not agree with you more! I have had a gut full of it being the Hamilton show, it is becoming an absolute joke the way they go on about him. Also it is OK for other teams to use team orders as they encouraged it during PEREZ/OCON battle and also saying that Mercedes should call Bottas No.2 after the second race of the season but FERRARI are made out to be the devils of the sport even when they don't do it and it is only presumed they have been done it. I was surprised that they didn't say FERRARI caused Kimi's brake issues to get Seb in front.
    This post describes the Shumy , Rubens era to a tee!!! This site only talked about how great Rubens was and Shumy should have openly been called the #2driver , even though Ferrari never had team orders. Why is it wrong to talk about Lewis so much when all he does is win races and pole positions almost as much as Rubens did at the time? If only Lewis had Todt in his corner with his radio on, it would be like the Ferrari winning era all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    This post describes the Shumy , Rubens era to a tee!!! This site only talked about how great Rubens was and Shumy should have openly been called the #2driver , even though Ferrari never had team orders. Why is it wrong to talk about Lewis so much when all he does is win races and pole positions almost as much as Rubens did at the time? If only Lewis had Todt in his corner with his radio on, it would be like the Ferrari winning era all over again!
    This doesn't even make sense. I tried looking at it from many different views and always came to the same conclusions.... 1. You've finally lost it.. 2. Bevvies were involved in the writing of this.
    I got 10 bucks on 2.