Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425
Results 721 to 736 of 736

Thread: British GP 2017 race thread

  1. #721
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    OK, i guess we got some kind of an explanation for Seb in his lock up. However, what about Kimi? He only did 25 laps with them and was not under any major pressure.
    My only guess, and this is just a guess, front setup and high downforce in those areas for both cars.

  2. #722
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Slovenia, Maribor
    Posts
    109
    However, Wolff has warned those who believe Mercedes is now clearly the 2017 favourite.

    "The moment you say that, you go to the next race and get a shock," he said

    Lol Ferrari win incoming, again somethingfishy is going on. I have a feeling Mercedes is playing with everybody, and when they get to far ahead, they just let the competition to win some races and thats it. We have to up the pace guys! Everything is not lost yet, the seasons start again in 14 days.

  3. #723
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    27,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    However, Wolff has warned those who believe Mercedes is now clearly the 2017 favourite.

    "The moment you say that, you go to the next race and get a shock," he said

    Lol Ferrari win incoming, again somethingfishy is going on. I have a feeling Mercedes is playing with everybody, and when they get to far ahead, they just let the competition to win some races and thats it. We have to up the pace guys! Everything is not lost yet, the seasons start again in 14 days.
    Well if Merc just let us win we don't need to do any more development......
    Forza Ferrari

  4. #724
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    However, Wolff has warned those who believe Mercedes is now clearly the 2017 favourite.

    "The moment you say that, you go to the next race and get a shock," he said

    Lol Ferrari win incoming, again somethingfishy is going on. I have a feeling Mercedes is playing with everybody, and when they get to far ahead, they just let the competition to win some races and thats it. We have to up the pace guys! Everything is not lost yet, the seasons start again in 14 days.
    No way. F1 does however have a way of swinging one way then the other. In 2000 Schumacher lookedvlike running away with it then had a bad middle to the year. 2006 Alonso was running away with it then had a hard 2nd half. 2007 Ferrari had a hard middle section of the year. The one thing I have noticed is the lack of tyre preassure changes from Friday to Saturday since Monaco and Merc have had a great run since. Dont be surprised to see tyre preassures altered from Friday to Saturday and Ferrari all of a sudden getting better.

  5. #725
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    No way. F1 does however have a way of swinging one way then the other. In 2000 Schumacher lookedvlike running away with it then had a bad middle to the year. 2006 Alonso was running away with it then had a hard 2nd half. 2007 Ferrari had a hard middle section of the year. The one thing I have noticed is the lack of tyre preassure changes from Friday to Saturday since Monaco and Merc have had a great run since. Dont be surprised to see tyre preassures altered from Friday to Saturday and Ferrari all of a sudden getting better.
    Than we have to lobby hard for these changes

  6. #726
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    My only guess, and this is just a guess, front setup and high downforce in those areas for both cars.

    In the end, it was the tyre problems for both Ferraris that put paid to any chance of a big points finish.

    Pirelli says that the problems the two Ferrari drivers had were different, but I don't see it like that. Both left-front tyres had delamination problems, and when that happens you're in the lap of the gods as to the outcome. Will the tyre stay inflated, as was the case with Raikkonen? Or will it deflate, as with Vettel?

    Raikkonen's tyres were actually six laps fresher than Vettel's, while Valtteri Bottas, albeit with a different chassis, had done 31 laps on the same compound with a heavier car. So, in general, tyre life should not have been the issue.

    So why, on a chassis that has been so good on its tyres until now, has this problem suddenly reared its ugly head?

    At the Red Bull Ring a week before Silverstone, Ferrari introduced a new front wing with a longer-chord main plane.

    This will produce more overall downforce, but have very different airflow separation characteristics, which can be much more difficult to manage.

    This sort of change could lead to Ferrari running the front suspension set-up stiffer to stop that front wing getting too close to the ground.

    If this is what Ferrari did, then the front tyre will be getting more of a pounding. Not only that, it can lead to more lock-ups under braking, and these local hotspots can very easily lead to delamination.

    From my observations at Silverstone, both Ferrari drivers want different things from the car. Vettel turns in on the brakes, so needs confidence in the rear, which a stiffer front suspension set-up will give him. Raikkonen turns in earlier and asks for more from the front end of the car mid-corner, so he needs a more positive front end.

    There will be an in-depth analysis of what happened, and as it's Ferrari there will be a few days of shouting and throwing hands up in the air and looking to the gods for the solution.

    What's gone wrong for Ferrari?
    There were signs at Silverstone that Mercedes now has Ferrari on the ropes, and it looks like a change of development direction may be to blame

    By Gary Anderson
    Published on Tuesday July 18th 2017

  7. #727
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,890
    So it's development that getting us caught again...

  8. #728
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    So it's development that getting us caught again...
    It sure looks that way (with regards to the front end of the car). I know this is Monday morning quarterbacking (NFL) but Ferrari "over-developed" the front end

    (suspension set-up & front wing downforce) and it showed on both cars with tyre delamination and degredation(on the somewhat outermost part of the tyre due to camber).

  9. #729
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    371
    and as it's Ferrari there will be a few days of shouting and throwing hands up in the air and looking to the gods for the solution.
    Thats a little harsh Gary!

  10. #730
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Thats a little harsh Gary!
    These types of statements became quite obvious in mid season for Ferrari from these people. So nothing surprises me.

  11. #731
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.A
    Posts
    4,616
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    These types of statements became quite obvious in mid season for Ferrari from these people. So nothing surprises me.
    agreed

  12. #732
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    27,818
    Gary Anderson, the expert who can't get a job in F1 because his car's were never really any good apart from maybe a Stewart but he can write and tell us how Ferrari are doing things wrong...
    Forza Ferrari

  13. #733
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    salco
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Gary Anderson, the expert who can't get a job in F1 because his car's were never really any good apart from maybe a Stewart but he can write and tell us how Ferrari are doing things wrong...
    yeah, a gold mine of F1 insight

  14. #734
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,470
    Seemed to be some merit to his ramblings - that all went out the window when I read the last sentence about the shouting & "throwing hands up in the air".
    Nice work Gary.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

  15. #735
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,858
    So here is Pirelli's stance on Vettels tyre @ British GP 2017....Kimi's tyre investigation to come out in a few day.

    Attachment 7251

  16. #736
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    2,858
    Pirelli concludes test on Raikkonen's tyre from British Grand Prix

    NO ISSUES CONNECTED WITH THE TYRE ITSELF NOR WITH ITS USE


    Milan, July 26, 2017 – The results of the analysis on Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen’s front-left soft compound tyre, which experienced an issue at the end of the recent British Grand Prix, reveal specific damage in two places at the edge of the belt close to the internal shoulder area.

    This damage is not present throughout any other areas of the tyre whatsoever. Furthermore, the belt and the structure do not show any signs of fatigue.

    The possible initial cause of this damage is consistent with contact against an external body, leading to a partial separation of the belt from the carcass in the two affected areas. In one of these two places, as a logical consequence, part of the tread also became detached.

    This damage did not however compromise the actual tyre structure, with Raikkonen able to make his way safely back to the pits on an inflated tyre.

    A number of detailed tests have since been carried out, both destructive and non-destructive, on other tyres used by frontrunners at the British Grand Prix with a similar or bigger distance on them compared to the set used by Raikkonen (for 25 laps). On no occasion was there any sign of fatigue, detachment or laceration – or even the beginning of such problems – that affected the structure of the tyre.

    In conclusion, Pirelli can confirm that no issues have emerged connected with the tyre itself.

    http://news.pirelli.com/global/en-ww...ost_2017-07-26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •