Thread: Rate Ferrari's 2018 season

Rate Ferrari's 2018 season

Last year we had a thread like this. Let's have one this year as well.

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...-s-2017-season

On a scale from 1-10.

Drivers: Sebastian Vettel 7.5 / Kimi Räikkönen 7.5. Last year I gave Seb 8.5 and Kimi 7. Having in mind the actual roles both of them play (1a and 1b) they basicly did the same this year. The bar is obviosuly higher for Seb so his margin for error is smaller. Kimi did a lot better this year than last year but that's about it. I deduct 0.5 each (compared to last year) for Seb's mistakes at Hockenheim and Monza. The rest are driving incidents. Kimi gets 0.5 more for beating Bottas on points.

Team: 8.5. I gave the team a 9 last year but this year there were more mistakes with the strategy and that horror accident in Bahrain. They have dropped the ball big time. Sacking everyone won't fix anything though. They just have to focus more. I actually don't blame them for the tyre gamble in qualifying at Suzuka. They had to try something. Damned if you, damned if you don't.

Car: 9.5. It's probably the best F1 car Ferrari ever produced. It's without a doubt the best engine/PU. The lap record at Spa will most likely stand forever. The chassis can still get better. I bow to the guys at Maranello. Simply fantastic.

Season result overall: 8.25. Same average as last year. The progress the car made was equalized by Seb's and the team's errors. A big shame. Another 2nd in the WCC. Ferrari now have two more 2nd places than wins. I'm not sure if that has ever happened before.

Highlight of the season: The win at Spa and the lap record in Q2 by Seb (1:41.501) is basicly as good as it gets. Thank you Ferrari and Seb!

Vettel: 7.0
    Raikkonen: 7.5

Car: 9.5
    Pitwall/Strategy department: 6.0

Pitcrew: 10
    In-season development: 7.0

Highlight of the season: Raikkonen's win at Austin, Monza qualifying.

Vettel: 7
    Raikkonen: 8

Car: 8.5
    Pitwall/Strategy department: 6.0

Pitcrew: 8
    In-season development: 6.5

Marks for drivers are for 1a and 1b, which is a bit unfair for Seb as Kimi had a good season and the times he was left out more, or was given an alternative strategy were few and far between.
    Those 4 DNFs of Kimi's car hurt us in the WCC. We would have been right up there with Mercs, taking as standard his average 3rd place finishes and the points Mercs would have lost by Kimi finishing ahead of one of them. True Mercs had one double DNF in Austria, but put in those aprox. 35 points we lost in a second in Germany and it would have been ours. We could have gotten the WCC for sure. Not so sure about the WDC to be honest, Hamilton had a great season and tons of luck and Seb a not so great one. We could have gotten probably more points if Ferrari supported Kimi, he was more consistent and reliable, but with his car's DNFs and him being 0.1s-0.2s/lap slower than Seb more times than not, we would have still ended up behind Hamilton. A bad year for Bottas, he finished the year sinking like a rock so maybe we can capitalise on it next year.
    Last edited by IulianFerrari; 9th December 2018 at 14:42.

I actually question whether we need another post mortem on our 2018 season and the way it unfolded, the threads have been full of debate especially over the second half of the season when it all fell apart, for whatever reason we choose to name! However, based on my humble opinion and the way I saw it:

Seb 7.5: (too many errors and too much desperation)
    Kimi 7.5: (improved this year and was very consistent)

SF71-H: 8 (great early on, lost the plot between Monza and Austin but came back....just too late)
    Pitwall/Strategy: & (sometimes crazy, other times spot on but rarely consistently on the ball)

In-season development: 7 (initially seemed to be on top of things but true to form it went haywire after the summer)

We all have our own views on how the season panned out and some will blame Seb for losing the WCC/WDC, the weather even played a part more than usual, so I reckon everything that can be said has already been said! Roll on 2019 and put this season behind us.

Vettel: 7 at best, maybe 6.5

Raikkonen: 8, maybe 8.5

Car: 9

Pit Wall/Strategy department: 6.0

Pit Crew: 10

In-season development: 6.0

The pit crew and group responsible for the power unit were the shining stars. Raikkonen was good.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Vettel: 7 at best, maybe 6.5

Raikkonen: 8, maybe 8.5

Car: 9

Pit Wall/Strategy department: 6.0

Pit Crew: 10

In-season development: 6.0

The pit crew and group responsible for the power unit were the shining stars. Raikkonen was good.
    Wasn't Kimi's wheelnut-green light DNF a pitcrew fault?

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Wasn't Kimi's wheelnut-green light DNF a pitcrew fault?

Disappointed Since 2010

Drivers :
    Seb : 7 - He definitely needs to learn how to cope with pressure , specially when something goes wrong.
    Kimi : 8.5 - He went long and beyond this year, he could have more than one P1 and the fact he did not is clearly attributed to the team.
    Pitwall/Strategy department: 8.5 - They, just like Seb, need to learn to adapt to added pressure, mishaps , challenges etc. This is Ferrari. It is expected to have -the- pressure and to deliver. No excuses, if you can't handle that, leave.
    Car : 9.5 - I would put 10 but there is always something more to extract, something to improve, etc.
    In-season development: 6.5 : That is something team really needs to improve at.

And that brings us to an average of ... 8.0

Highlights : Seb Winning UK GP , Kimi Winning US GP.

Let's hope next year team does better.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve