Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo set for 2018 introduction after Strategy Group meeting

Thumbs down Halo set for 2018 introduction after Strategy Group meeting

Formula 1 is set to introduce the Halo cockpit protection device for 2018 after the FIA pushed it through on safety grounds at Wednesday’s Strategy Group meeting.

The Halo and Shield have emerged as the two options for cockpit protection, with the FIA insistent some form of device will be introduced next season.

While the Halo has undergone extensive testing, with all the teams running the device at least once, Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel tested the Shield for the first time in British Grand Prix practice last Friday.

The German however cut short his run as he felt "dizzy" using it, while Haas driver Romain Grosjean commented he felt it was "as bad as" the Halo he tried in 2016.

When the matter was discussed at the meeting in Geneva, it is believed the Shield was put on the backburner for now as it was felt significant further investigation was required.

Sources say nine out of 10 teams voted against the Halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds, albeit with "certain features of its design" being "further enhanced".

It still requires final ratification by the World Motor Sport Council but this can be completed by e-vote if necessary.

Only six of the 10 teams on the grid - Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, McLaren and Force India - have previously been part of the meetings along with the commercial rights holder and the FIA.

But at the last meeting, F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn presented the concept of inviting teams not officially part of the group to attend as observers - and this is believed to have been the case on Wednesday.

Those not officially part of the group did not take part in the discussion, but were occasionally asked for their viewpoints on various subjects.

Cost control working group

The Strategy Group also discussed the issue of cost control, and will set up a working group - comprising representatives from the Formula One Group, the FIA and teams - to work on implementing measures “aimed at ensuring the sport remains sustainable in the coming years".

Discussion also centred around ways to improve the overall show, with several ideas put forward for investigation before the next meeting.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...cision-932802/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I don't like it.....especially that thong portion.

All this is due to a freak accident if you ask me. I wonder if it will deflect: 1.) pieces of tyre 2.) shards of carbon fibre or metal pieces from a leading car crash 3. deflect a

crane or fork lift when it slides under one (JB #17 R.I.P.) 4.) will the driver be able to get out of it?? QUE: Alonso 2016 Melbourne crash pinned against the armco???

F1 is dangerous....all of the above mentioned will still make it dangerous...it is just a matter of time.

So yeah...thumbs down for me too.

What a joke I guess one season of good looking cars is all we'll get

Total bull crap.

Can the team's just say eff it? If all 10 teams ignore it what will they do? Stop everyone from racing? Cancle every race?

The teams really need to grow some pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Total bull crap.

Can the team's just say eff it? If all 10 teams ignore it what will they do? Stop everyone from racing? Cancle every race?

The teams really need to grow some pairs.

Sources say nine out of 10 teams voted against the Halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds, albeit with "certain features of its design" being "further enhanced".
    In other words, Jean Todt said, " Screw you guys, I'm gonna implement it anyways!"

Nine out of 10 teams voted against. Wonder which team that is, probably one of the big ones. I think if 10 out of 10 voted against it might've been a different story.

This is crazy. The only thing this hideous device could've saved is Massa ending up at the hospital, nothing else. In fact, it can only cause bigger problems when cars overturn or crash. F1 is extremely safe, no need for further safety regulations with these cars. More safety regulations should be introduced when/ if the cars start going 500 kph top speed. Now, they are destroying the DNA of the sport for no reason whatsoever. Craziness. What do they gain by this?!

Jules died because of a crane that should've been there in the first place and there's absolutely no way he could've been saved by this grotesque and repulsive contraption!!!! I really hate it when they repeat Jules' accident as a reason for this hideous contraption.
    Last edited by Stormy; 20th July 2017 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Jules died because of a crane that should've been there in the first place and there's absolutely no way he could've been saved by this grotesque and repulsive contraption!!!! I really hate it when they repeat Jules' accident as a reason for this hideous contraption.
    1. Jules was driving at a higher speed in the rain and lost control of his car.

2. Charlie could have called for a SC(to slow everyone down) instead of a VSC due to the inclement weather and the crane being brought out to pick up another car that

was in that same turn where Jules "lost control of his car"; but he did'nt.

so yeah....some mitigating factors that, more than likely, could have prevented this horrific and tragic incident.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    2. Charlie could have called for a SC(to slow everyone down) instead of a VSC due to the inclement weather and the crane being brought out to pick up another car that
    Didn't Jules' accident happened under SC? I think VSC was implemented after Jules' accident as a result. Jules was driving very fast under SC in heavy conditions in order to catch up with the others. You can't drive that fast under VSC as you are immediately slowed down.

Didn't Jules' accident happened under SC? I think VSC was implemented after Jules' accident as a result. Jules was driving very fast under SC in heavy conditions in order to catch up with the others. You can't drive that fast under VSC as you are immediately slowed down.
    The SC was called in after JB crash.

Protocol was much different at the time, all that was required was a slight lift through the yellow flag area, that would show on telemetry you were being cautious. This is what was expected of all drivers at the time.

Shameful of FIA to portray Jules as using poor judgement & not slowing enough, when that was what was expected from all drivers at that time. Now all this proactive halo garbage to try to show the courts how safety conscious they are. A cynical person might think they were doing this to lessen any judgement against them in the Bianchi lawsuit.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    The SC was called in after JB crash.
    So there was no SC at all when the Sauber (think it was Sauber) crashed? Only yellow flags?

So there was no SC at all when the Sauber (think it was Sauber) crashed? Only yellow flags?
    correct.....

Nailed it. Jules would still be among the living if that crane wasn't where a car could get pinned underneath.

Disappointed Since 2010

FIA's own inquiry into Jules accident

11. It is not feasible to mitigate the injuries Bianchi suffered by either enclosing the driver’s cockpit, or fitting skirts to the crane. Neither approach is practical due to the very large forces involved in the accident between a 700kg car striking a 6500kg crane at a speed of 126kph. There is simply insufficient impact structure on a F1 car to absorb the energy of such an impact without either destroying the driver’s survival cell, or generating non-survivable decelerations.
    Forza Ferrari

they saying ferrari is the one team that didnt go against the halo, it looks awful, hope they change they mind

No need for Halo considering no one died from flying debris in the last...how many years? Who died of flying debris? Tom Pryce? I'm talking about F1 only. Besides, small bullet debris might not be stopped by the Halo as it's not protecting the entire space. This repulsive Halo thingy might just cause more problems.

What I don't get:

1. Vettel was the only one to try the shield. After one lap he deemed it "dizzy" and it created distortion. So Halo gets approval !

Questions:

1. Why did'nt the other teams try the shield?
    2. Distortion? Like they did'nt see that when it was first installed while driving. I'm sure the curvature (distortion) part of the shield could be worked out?

The shield to me looks like it was "rushed" and made to fail IMO.

Have they got F1 car mixed up with an old LMP1 one?

FerrariSteve Guest
    Truly bizarre decision and something that not only ugly but also perhaps an actual safety risk itself, in a crash if it's damaged it could hit or impale the driver, also could trap the driver in the car.

Stupid stupid decision and I feel for lots of F1 fans, this will be the last straw.

Obviously they've got this on the fast track, but if this actually drives away any real fans they must have been on the verge of abandoning F1 already.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Feels very rushed. Good sense must prevail surely.

I think the fia have decided we need cockpit protection in 2018 and have rushed everything the shield was rushed so was the halo they should keep delaying the date it's needed to be in place until they find a great solution and the halo is far from that

Apparently the rumor is, it was Ferrari who voted for the HALO; everyone else opposed it.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Apparently the rumor is, it was Ferrari who voted for the HALO; everyone else opposed it.
    Look on the bright side, we're the only team who got their way.
    Forza Ferrari !

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    That's just crazy if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    That's just crazy if that's true.
    Many media are saying the same thing and no demand from Ferrari so i guess it's true. Disappointing really. Maybe the team was forced by the FIA to vote YES in order for Seb to not be further penalized?

I don't think it matters what the teams vote regardless. I believe the FIA can push through regulations based on safety without teams approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I don't think it matters what the teams vote regardless. I believe the FIA can push through regulations based on safety without teams approval.
    Then why do they ask for the teams' approval, lol.

IIRC, both the FIA and said teams (I believe it was Ferrari, MB, and RB) were working on the halo/shield in 2016(???) to be introduced in 2017....it got

pushed back for a possible 2018 introduction due to the teams and the FIA. So fast forward to this week, again the FIA wants "UNANIMOUS" approval on the

introduction of either one....there was no UNANIMOUS approval from the teams so the FIA PUSHED IT THROUGH ON SAFETY GROUNDS.

Formula 1 is set to introduce the Halo cockpit protection device for 2018 after the FIA pushed it through on safety grounds at Wednesday’s Strategy Group meeting.

We'll see. Maybe the drivers will complain of poor visibility. I sure would mind having a bar in front of me while driving...