Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix - Race

I don't understand this whole "Hamilton did the right thing". He had an agreement with his team and team-mate, that he would be allowed to pass to try and catch and overtake a Ferrari. If he failed, he had to give the position back. He was given an endless 5 laps time (20+ laps at the end??????????) to achieve that. He followed the agreement! So what? One thing for sure is that he has disobeyed his team before (Abu Dhabi 2016 anyone?) and i was expecting him to do the same here. Anyway, Mercs PR is just that: PR. We are doing the talk on track and not wasting energy diffusing this gamesmanship from our rival(s).

Quote Originally Posted by kinkas View Post
    I don't understand this whole "Hamilton did the right thing". He had an agreement with his team and team-mate, that he would be allowed to pass to try and catch and overtake a Ferrari. If he failed, he had to give the position back. He was given an endless 5 laps time (20+ laps at the end??????????) to achieve that. He followed the agreement! So what? One thing for sure is that he has disobeyed his team before (Abu Dhabi 2016 anyone?) and i was expecting him to do the same here. Anyway, Mercs PR is just that: PR. We are doing the talk on track and not wasting energy diffusing this gamesmanship from our rival(s).
    You would think that a person who has lost one championship by 1 point and win it by 1 point would understand the value of them. Even at the cost of an inter-team battle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rochas View Post
    You would think that a person who has lost one championship by 1 point and win it by 1 point would understand the value of them. Even at the cost of an inter-team battle.

I doubt he is this forward thinking but if he looses the WDC this year by 3 points or less, this gives him an excuse. It wouldn't be because Ferrari and Seb did a better job, it was because he was a gentleman in Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by rochas View Post

The point is he would not be in front of his teammate, if Bottas did not move over for Lewis. How many times has Bottas been asked for favor this season?

Quote Originally Posted by kinkas View Post
    Hamilton was rather coy with his delay of letting Bottas overtake him. I suspect he was hoping Verstappen would pass Bottas thus nullifying the deal...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Hamilton was rather coy with his delay of letting Bottas overtake him. I suspect he was hoping Verstappen would pass Bottas thus nullifying the deal...
    Hamilton waited just before the finish line to make it obvious.

Lewis was never going to pass Bottas cleanly or safely. The team set up a pass and agreement. Contract executed. Lewis failed to pass Kimi. Swap redone. Moving on....

Fastest Lap and Sector times Hungarian GP 2017

Attachment 7272

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Hamilton waited just before the finish line to make it obvious.
    What I meant was that he waited until the last minute to do that in the hopes that Verstappen would pass Bottas and then there would be no way to give back the position. He was hoping to not have to give it back in my opinion and that's why he waited until the end of the race and not after 5 laps like originally promised...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Apart from alonso overtaking sainz and the merc teamorders there was nothing typical hungary
    ah so it was possible to overtake

I'm not a big fan of this switcheroo tactics. It's basically a complicated team order that gives fans the illusion of fairness in this sport. From a team manager POV, I think you either let your drivers race each other or let them know who's no. One and hold station.

I do wonder if Mercedes tactics yesterday were more with constructors points in mind. Lewis appeared faster than Bottas, so why not release him to try and split or beat the Ferrari's? It's their gig afterall, and I think they genuinely fear we will beat them this year. If it was about Lewis, i think they'd have engineered for him to finish ahead of Bottas regardless. But they didn't.

Is possible it had nothing to do with the above though. And it has no bearing on anything either way. We got a Ferrari 1-2. Stuff them [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Regardless of this last race, Lewis sees at least 2 more poles this season, and a good shot at WDC is still there. I believe not having to be on the podium with Seb and looking at Ferrari overjoyed with victory was more than enough incentive to move over. Besides now having Bottas really looking up to him as a true teamate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    I do wonder if Mercedes tactics yesterday were more with constructors points in mind. Lewis appeared faster than Bottas, so why not release him to try and split or beat the Ferrari's? It's their gig afterall, and I think they genuinely fear we will beat them this year. If it was about Lewis, i think they'd have engineered for him to finish ahead of Bottas regardless. But they didn't.

Is possible it had nothing to do with the above though. And it has no bearing on anything either way. We got a Ferrari 1-2. Stuff them [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    To simplify things, Lewis just didn't want the backlash that will be inevitable had he not honor the agreement. For one, he would have a bitter Bottas who would certainly be reluctant of helping him out in the future. More importantly, this would tarnish his legacy if he would end up winning the WDC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DelMar View Post
    The point is he would not be in front of his teammate, if Bottas did not move over for Lewis. How many times has Bottas been asked for favor this season?
    You do realize that Sebastian wouldn't have won the race if Kimi was allowed to have a go for a longer stint - like Vettel did in Monaco?

Quote Originally Posted by barzini77 View Post
    You do realize that Sebastian wouldn't have won the race if Kimi was allowed to have a go for a longer stint - like Vettel did in Monaco?
    Yeah Merc probably would have undercut us and cost us a 1-2....
    Forza Ferrari

In Monaco, Kimi did not have issues that would have left him vulnerable and possibly cost the team the 1-2. Kimi was faster in Hungary, everyone gets it, but it's a long game and there were championship points to protect. Also, again, there was no conspiracy against Kimi in Monaco.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yeah Merc probably would have undercut us and cost us a 1-2....
    How? Kimi had still over 3 sec lead to Bottas, 1-2 laps more and he would have gain the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    In Monaco, Kimi did not have issues that would have left him vulnerable and possibly cost the team the 1-2. Kimi was faster in Hungary, everyone gets it, but it's a long game and there were championship points to protect. Also, again, there was no conspiracy against Kimi in Monaco.
    I get it why Ferrari did it. I just reminded that Hamilton is not the only one who is benefiting from Nro 1 status.

How? Kimi had still over 3 sec lead to Bottas, 1-2 laps more and he would have gain the lead.
    And Seb? Merc were quick after their stops
    Forza Ferrari

And Seb? Merc were quick after their stops
    As I said above, I know why they did it. To secure Seb's win. Kimi was faster than the Mercs. If Kimi couldn't pass Seb on track, neither could Mercs.

Of course it's easy to say afterwards.

Kimi was only faster due to a technical issue but it's good he is not happy with 2nd, I expect he will be strong in Spa.
    Forza Ferrari

Kimi was only faster due to a technical issue but it's good he is not happy with 2nd, I expect he will be strong in Spa.
    It doesn't really matter what was the reason he was faster, does it? Yup, it's a good sign and he has had couple of good races in a row now.

isn't leclerc testing for ferrari in the test today

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    isn't leclerc testing for ferrari in the test today
    yup, currently fastest

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    yup, currently fastest

1 LEC 1m18.463
    2 VAN +0.087
    3 BOT +0.960
    4 MAZ +1.447
    5 STR +1.486
    6 RUS +1.730
    7 LAT +1.858
    8 FER +3.191

that was 8 minutes ago after 2 hours of testing

It doesn't really matter what was the reason he was faster, does it? Yup, it's a good sign and he has had couple of good races in a row now.
    Does a bit matter though as it was not a normal situation...
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    1 LEC 1m18.463
    2 VAN +0.087
    3 BOT +0.960
    4 MAZ +1.447
    5 STR +1.486
    6 RUS +1.730
    7 LAT +1.858
    8 FER +3.191

that was 8 minutes ago after 2 hours of testing
    any info on what are our guys testing

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    any info on what are our guys testing

as far as new updates, none so far. Leclerc testing in the SF70-H. Lunch break comin up. Just doing laps.

lunch break and here are the current results of testing.

Leclerc had a spin early on but nothing wrong as he was pushing the car.

Max had issues with his car but managed to get some lap times

Vandoorne had issues with his car prior to the lunch break.

Kubica has a fan base in the stands.

Attachment 7275

Attachment 7276
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 1st August 2017 at 11:20.