Thread: Sauber - Ferrari deal done : Spec engines and Ferrari developement team 2018

Sauber - Ferrari deal done : Spec engines and Ferrari developement team 2018

Formula 1: Sauber sign deal with Ferrari for 2018

Sauber have signed a "multi-year" engine deal with Ferrari from 2018.

The move, a day after Sauber cancelled their planned switch to Honda engines next year, is a continuation of a relationship that started in 2010.

Sources say the deal is likely to see Formula 2 frontrunner Charles Leclerc, a Ferrari protege, promoted to Formula 1 with Sauber in 2018.

The deal is for latest-spec engines the Ferrari works team will use - Sauber are using year-old engines this season.

The team this year run Swede Marcus Ericsson and German Pascal Wehrlein. Ericsson's backers are part-owners of the team but Wehrlein is funded by Mercedes.

Team principal Frederic Vasseur said the partnership would "allow us to move forward swiftly and efficiently".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40751289

So Wehrlein is out. Spec engines and FINALLY!!!!!! a developement team for Ferrari.

Marchionne says Sauber will be a Ferrari junior team

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has said that Sauber will become a Ferrari junior team in light of the newly announced engine deal. In Hungary, Sauber confirmed that it had cancelled its deal to run with Honda engines in 2018 and instead announced a deal with Ferrari.

The deal will also see the Hinwil-based squad run with up-to-date power, as year-old power units are hampering its 2017 season. Giancarlo Minardi said that Haas retaining its current line-up in 2018 was a missed opportunity for Ferrari to push one of its junior drivers into Formula 1.

Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi are both waiting in the sidelines, hoping for a racing seat in 2018 with their best opportunity coming with Sauber now that the deal surrounding engines has been announced. Speaking in Hungary, Marchionne said that Sauber would now form into a junior team for its drivers.

"The engines for Sauber are also a way to create a kind of junior team for our young drivers. We have two great young talents, but to secure the future of Ferrari, we need the chance to train them somewhere. We need space for them, so it's a great idea and we're working on it. Maurizio Arrivabene has worked hard on this project, and I want to say also that in agreement with Liberty Media we will also increase the number of customers for our engines.

"They tell me Giovinazzi did a great job for us, driving here (for Haas) on Friday and then on Friday night returning to be in the simulator," continued Marchionne. "He worked late to make sure there was no mistake in balancing the car. He's back here (in Hungary) with us now and I see that quite rightly he is tired."

Source: https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2...ri-junior-team

Farewell to Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein. The former shouldn't be in the series and for the latter it is up to Mercedes to find a place.

Bring on our guys!

This is fantastic and exciting news. It feels like we will now have four Ferraris to root for in 2018. Hopefully we will see Leclerc and Giovinazzi there.

FORZA FERRARI!
    Tous avec Jules #17

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    This is fantastic and exciting news. It feels like we will now have four Ferraris to root for in 2018. Hopefully we will see Leclerc and Giovinazzi there.
    + 1, completely agree Giallo 550, just what we need to get some young talent to develop into future Ferrari champions.

Great news. I don't know why it took them so long?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Sauber was in deep mess. It was also a quite recent event that Haas would go it's own way meaning no room for FDA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    If I had to guess, I would think that it's because Ferrari has been around so long and has been stuck in its ways, for better and for worse. I think this was a very good decision.

FORZA FERRARI!
    Tous avec Jules #17

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/08/...as-and-sauber/
    I guess will be Alfa Romeo brand.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Great news for the Ferrari jr drivers, both i think will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    This.
    We're doomed, Cap'n Mainwaring, doomed I tell ye!