Thread: Formula 1's safety car could become driverless, says FIA

Formula 1's safety car could become driverless, says FIA

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ess-safety-car

Formula 1 could adopt a driverless safety car in the future as part of an effort to promote autonomous technology, the FIA has revealed.

Motorsport's governing body is determined to ensure that drivers remain a key element of F1's attraction, but have discussed how it could promote driverless cars through other elements of a grand prix weekend.

Marcin Budkowski, the head of the FIA's F1 technical department, has suggested that a driverless safety car would be a good way of proving automotive advances without detracting from the show.

"Let me give you an example, but it is not the only one: we have spoken about an unmanned safety car," Budkowski told Autosport.

"It would promote a technology about which there is a bit of scepticism and, instead, it could be shown that it works.

"The safety car driver would no longer be essential, because it would leave the controls to the computer.

"But we must be aware of the attraction of [F1] race cars without drivers: the engineers would love it, but not the fans."
    I think the circuit staff and marshal's have enough danger when working on clearing debris off a track without a driverless car flying past them a few feet away. Let people who want it stand on the track next to the debris that caused the safety car to come out and see if it knows the difference between debris and people.

Formula 1 could adopt a driverless safety car in the future as part of an effort to promote autonomous technology, the FIA has revealed.
    Motorsport's governing body is determined to ensure that drivers remain a key element of F1's attraction, but have discussed how it could promote driverless cars through other elements of a grand prix weekend.

Marcin Budkowski, the head of the FIA's F1 technical department, has suggested that a driverless safety car would be a good way of proving automotive advances without detracting from the show.

"Let me give you an example, but it is not the only one: we have spoken about an unmanned safety car," Budkowski told Autosport.

"It would promote a technology about which there is a bit of scepticism and, instead, it could be shown that it works.

"The safety car driver would no longer be essential, because it would leave the controls to the computer.

"But we must be aware of the attraction of [F1] race cars without drivers: the engineers would love it, but not the fans

Great.....Wonderful!! Whats next.....I-robot marshals and clean-up crews???? Or maybe lets

put IBM's Watson in charge of regulating on track penalties and doing away with Charlie and

the inconsistencies of the stewards???? ......LOL...........what a minute.....that could

happen. Crap!!!

FerrariSteve Guest
    What a stupid ..and dangerous.. idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    What a stupid ..and dangerous.. idea.
    They'll probably release some pretty advanced AI.

Coming next remote controlled F1 cars. Drivers can just stay at home and rave over the internet. The FIA is just full of "good" ideas lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1984 View Post
    Coming next remote controlled F1 cars. Drivers can just stay at home and rave over the internet. The FIA is just full of "good" ideas lately.
    It's just the safety car, no harm if it's autonomous. As a matter of fact, i'm intrigued to see that technology as a safety car.

As it stands now a Top Car will win with any driver. That's getting close to remote control !

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    As it stands now a Top Car will win with any driver. That's getting close to remote control !
    Yea, but this year you have two teams with top cars and 3 drivers fighting for WDC. This will probably go down to two drivers but still, multiple world champions fighting each other for title, pretty interesting in my eyes.

That's just pointless and makes it alot more dangerous the fia continue to amaze us with there stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That's just pointless and makes it alot more dangerous the fia continue to amaze us with there stupidity
    They are probably talking about a relatively distant future, not tomorrow.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's just the safety car, no harm if it's autonomous. As a matter of fact, i'm intrigued to see that technology as a safety car.
    Might be just that now, but its the thin end of the wedge, if that works, give them 1-2 years and hey.. we'll have radio controlled cars ...and three people worldwide will tune in to watch it.

Might be just that now, but its the thin end of the wedge, if that works, give them 1-2 years and hey.. we'll have radio controlled cars ...and three people worldwide will tune in to watch it.
    Doubt it.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Doubt it.

Roborace....look it up and the video's. It's not far from being implemented. The engineers and techies get honored instead of the driver. I'm not a fan of it.

Yay! They found a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Roborace....look it up and the video's. It's not far from being implemented. The engineers and techies get honored instead of the driver. I'm not a fan of it.
    Still not going to happen in F1
    Forza Ferrari

What has Roborace got to do with F1? F1 will never be autonomous. It will always be man taming machines. The entire brand revolves around that. Having said that, no harm in making the SC autonomous.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Still not going to happen in F1
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    What has Roborace got to do with F1? F1 will never be autonomous. It will always be man taming machines. The entire brand revolves around that. Having said that, no harm in making the SC autonomous.
    It has nothing to do with F1 Stormy as I see the younger generation being attracted to it IF they like the silence and driverless race. To me, the noise (hopefully in 2021) and

experience to see humans driving(with help??) an F1 car is visceral and spine tingling and hopefully that attracts, along with the show, the younger crowd.

I would not want the SC to be autonomous....IMO it sends the wrong message of the sport as a whole.

I don't see the harm in this.
    In the event of a disaster, the safety car do not enjoy the same protection as F1 cars do.

The racing cars will always be driven by a person, this will never change.
    Safety car doesn't has to be, as it is not part of the racing, its just there to neutralize a race. So why not use it as a platform for autonomous driving.
    After all, autonomous driving is becoming a main focus in the auto industry, I think it would be interesting to see one in action.

I don't want to go thru the specifics of how AI works but just for the jest of it, one would have to think what would take to actually build AI that would "fight" towards a goal which would be to win a race thru a set of parameters like the one given to humans ; That would mean that the "robots" would have to recognize everything and anything in the form that human drivers do and be as ruthless as humans can be but at the same time (?) follow the rules in ways that humans do not all at all the times.
    Something that would
    a. take the surprise element off the sport
    b. if all AI were of the same parameters , then it would all boil down to the cars. (....)

Why would anyone tune in to watch this kind of borefest?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I don't want to go thru the specifics of how AI works but just for the jest of it, one would have to think what would take to actually build AI that would "fight" towards a goal which would be to win a race thru a set of parameters like the one given to humans ; That would mean that the "robots" would have to recognize everything and anything in the form that human drivers do and be as ruthless as humans can be but at the same time (?) follow the rules in ways that humans do not all at all the times.
    Something that would
    a. take the surprise element off the sport
    b. if all AI were of the same parameters , then it would all boil down to the cars. (....)

Why would anyone tune in to watch this kind of borefest?
    I don't know dude, I most certainly would not watch it. But I'm old school, so thats just my opinion.