Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could Fernando Alonso join Williams for the 2018 Formula 1 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    I have read & heard from multiple sources within the paddock that once Kimi was announced for 2018, Vettel was expected to sign multi year deal, this clearly shows Vettel made a request. You're right it's not his decision but team's but like I said earlier, it seems more of a pleasing your star driver rather than gunning for constructors title.
    Or maybe it's the fact that the team seems to be in a good place with these two drivers who seem to get along well? Or maybe the fact that there really isn't anyone worth taking over Kimi until 2019? Or maybe they want some stability in the team until they can get Leclerc or Giovannazi in a seat? Or maybe you're right, line up a star driver with a supporting driver much like every other team in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Or maybe it's the fact that the team seems to be in a good place with these two drivers who seem to get along well? Or maybe the fact that there really isn't anyone worth taking over Kimi until 2019? Or maybe they want some stability in the team until they can get Leclerc or Giovannazi in a seat? Or maybe you're right, line up a star driver with a supporting driver much like every other team in F1.
    Lets face it there are few better than Kimi, and they werent available. That plus a good relationship within the team, and kimi's huge fanbase made it a no brainer

Could Kubica end up in Williams for 2018???

Stroll is not going anywhere as long as dad pumps in money.

That was their car numbers that year I believe. Vettel was 1 because he was defending champion
    Ah. Then I was mistaken. Still hard to argue Seb wasn't the favored Red Bull son. Not that I want to get into that. :)

Well said. I couldn't agree more. I believe Giovannazi when ready will do all he can in a #2 seat for the team and his teamate. He knows and respects how Ferrari works. " Italia nell core! "

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Could Kubica end up in Williams for 2018???

Stroll is not going anywhere as long as dad pumps in money.
    It's possible, but if he's ready i don't know why Renault wouldn't sign him. They gave him the opportunity to test after all.

Well, yeah it's about choices one wants to make. Personally I think Maurizio is hired by Ferrari for a reason, he is paid hefty salary, it's his job to manage egos within the team. So I'd like to see best drivers driving for our prestigious team

It's not so easy to manage driver's egos ... ask Toto Wolf. By nature, what makes the best drivers great is what makes them so hard to manage... they are driven, selfish, and determined. Why would you want to damp those qualities? If you have a great driver, and the team is working well... don't mess with it.

That sounds like a perfect summery of Alonso. A great driver for sure. Ferrari is good to go as is. If it was not , Alonso should be welcomed back for his driven , and determination qualities as a top driver. I would take selfish as meaning he would only take the #1 spot, rightfully so.

If the reports of McLaren switching to Renault engines for 2018 are true I reckon Alonso will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    If the reports of McLaren switching to Renault engines for 2018 are true I reckon Alonso will stay.
    I agree. Renault are not fast engines but at least they are reliable to some extent, way more so than Honda. I don't believe its the Mclaren chassis as it is much to do with the Honda PU and reliability factor.

Sainz almost certain to join Renault. I was hoping to see Kubica in that seat

Might be the seat as early as Malaysia

Yeah, it looks like Renault wanted Sainz in order for them to terminate the deal supplying TR with engines earlier so TR can get Honda engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yeah, it looks like Renault wanted Sainz in order for them to terminate the deal supplying TR with engines earlier so TR can get Honda engines.
    If McLaren go to Renault i dont see a reason why Renault should receive anything from the deal, they get another top team with big budget using their engines and let a small team go.

Well if Toro Rosso wants to break their contract... why not ask for something?

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    If McLaren go to Renault i dont see a reason why Renault should receive anything from the deal, they get another top team with big budget using their engines and let a small team go.
    Yeah it sounds weird to me as well. Maybe RB and TR really wants Honda to make it work in order to make it their exclusive partner so they'll do anything to try and make this deal work.