Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Fernando Alonso join Williams for the 2018 Formula 1 season?

Could Fernando Alonso join Williams for the 2018 Formula 1 season?

Belgian Grand Prix paddock gossip that Williams is chasing Fernando Alonso has reignited a 2018 Formula 1 silly season that appeared to be turning into a damp squib.

With Kimi Raikkonen retained by Ferrari, Sebastian Vettel expected to stay on too in what may well be a single-season deal and Mercedes likely to keep Valtteri Bottas, the main remaining intrigue was over Renault's interest in Robert Kubica.

But as F1 regrouped at Spa, the sensational possibility of Alonso moving to Williams emerged - first reported in respected German publication Auto Motor und Sport.

Alonso has made clear he only wants to stay in F1 if he has competitive machinery.

But with Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull not seeming interested, it appeared his choice was between sticking it out with McLaren-Honda or quitting to race in another series.

While Alonso has no doubts about McLaren's infrastructure and budget, the Honda engine is the main sticking point.

With hopes of Ferrari or Mercedes customer engines having faded, Alonso is counting on the slim chance of a McLaren-Renault deal or consultant Ilmor turning Honda's form around.

Asked about McLaren's Honda or Renault decision, Alonso cryptically replied: "I don't think there is a tough choice."

He declined to elaborate on whether he meant it was obvious what McLaren must do or whether Renault's reluctance to expand to a fourth supply meant McLaren had no choice but Honda.

Pushed on whether the engine decision was the deal-breaker for his 2018 plans, Alonso said: "Not really. It's the performance what will dictate what I will do and the conditions of next year."

One way Alonso could guarantee getting the best engine in F1 would be to jump ship from McLaren and join Mercedes customer Williams.

Securing Alonso would be a sensational coup for Williams.

It would lift the team's reputation massively, give it a big performance boost and would be a dream for sponsors such as title backer Martini.

The real question is whether such a move is attractive enough for Alonso. Williams does not appear capable of offering Alonso the third world championship or even race wins in the short term.

Its last victory was Pastor Maldonado's shock Spanish GP one-off five years ago and it is only fifth in the constructors' championship, a huge 60 points off fourth-placed Force India - a team few would link Alonso to.

But Williams has made more progress over the last 12 months than its results suggest.

Without a failed shock absorber, Felipe Massa could have won in Azerbaijan.

Paddy Lowe has arrived from Mercedes and begun making changes to the infrastructure.

This will take time, but Lowe knows exactly what resources and commitment are needed to win championships.

Lance Stroll's father Lawrence is more than open to digging deep into his pocket to help fast-track Williams's progress.

This year Massa has often been fighting for the best-of-the-rest honours behind Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull, despite having gone into the winter expecting to retire.

Alonso knows the edge he had on Massa when they were together at Ferrari, so he would not need long to work out what he could be doing with the Williams based on Massa's form.

Equally it wouldn't be lost on Alonso that there is a big gap currently between Williams and the top teams - a gap that even his brilliant driving would not be able to overcome if the team does not make progress. Is it a gulf too big to overcome in just a single season?

The F1 paddock is in a holding pattern for 2019, when the driver market will really explode as the likes of Max Verstappen potentially become available.

Alonso will definitely want to be a free agent then, so he could feel there is little to lose in a single-season gamble for 2018.

Few doubt that a few years ago - especially in 2014 - Alonso would have been able to win races for Williams.

The real question now is does he believe such a scenario could return for next year, or is he still better off sticking it out at McLaren and having faith that it makes the right call on engines?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...liams-for-2018
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Doubt it, he wants to win a title not struggle in midfield. I think it's the best for him to stay put where he is for at least one more season. If Honda fails to turn it around again, then maybe he should consider retiring if no one other top team wants him.
    Last edited by Stormy; 26th August 2017 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Doubt it, he wants to win a title not struggle in midfield. I think it's the best for him to stay put where he is for at least one more season. If Honda fails to turn it around again, then maybe he should consider retiring if no one other top team wants him.
    Well, he is struggling at the back of the field with Mclaren. Any bump will be a bump up.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Well, he is struggling at the back of the field with Mclaren. Any bump will be a bump up.
    But he doesn't care about that. Fighting at the back or fighting in midfield is all the same for him. He wants to attack a title, anything less than that is a wasted time. I'll be pretty surprised if he makes a move to Williams and it will mean that he gave up on the third title hunt.

But he doesn't care about that. Fighting at the back or fighting in midfield is all the same for him. He wants to attack a title, anything less than that is a wasted time.
    Unfortunately, retirement is the only option for him. There are no vacant spots in any of the top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Unfortunately, retirement is the only option for him. There are no vacant spots in any of the top teams.
    Well, he can stay put in McLaren and hope Honda can finally develop a good engine. If not, oh well, at least he tried while in Williams he doesn't stand a chance, their ambition is P5 in constructors.

Well, he can stay put in McLaren and hope Honda can finally develop a good engine. If not, oh well, at least he tried while in Williams he doesn't stand a chance, their ambition is P5 in constructors.
    He has been hoping for Honda to deliver for the past couple of years. I want to see ALO fight for titles but I am afraid he will not have the machinery to do so...

With no top teams want him at the moment, I don't see him holding any future with the 3rd title. His only hope for now is for Honda to get their act together. It has been 3 years and they are still there, scratching head on why they can't ever get it right with the formula.

I think there are no options for him, except retirement.
    Such a shame of f1, talent getting wasted at back end of the field.

Good posts so far and all valid.

Also, who is going to pay for this $40 million salary???? He either stays with McHonda or retires....he's massively rich already.

When Alonso comes back with Renault or McLaren and beats us or Merc were going to regret not signing or re-signing him when we could.

He did it once and he of all drivers can do it again.

I mean seriously what he did to Kimi in the same was embarrassing, why would you not replace him with ALO

Trollonso

Just read that Alonso is too fast for the Honda systems.....they cannot keep up.

Still just tears for ALO while his blade gets duller and duller.........................

Alo will not sign with williams as it would be a step back in my opinion , as honda could possibly improve or mclaren could change manufacturer but williams with the best engine cannot improve the car. But I could be wrong as he has not made the best carreer decisions: he left renalut for mclaren just when ham came , went to ferrari when rb made the best car , left ferrari for mclaren because honda came...not that it is his fault but he really got unlucky. So he could sign because he thinks paddy lowe will turn williams around and next year honda could make a good engine. Personally I'll be lol-ing

If it wasn't for the way he left Ferrari i would feel sorry for him. But hey he earns Ģ40 million a year,what is there to feel sorry about.

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    If it wasn't for the way he left Ferrari i would feel sorry for him. But hey he earns Ģ40 million a year,what is there to feel sorry about.
    Yeah bad luck & bad decisions but I don't feel sorry for him. Feel sorry for the competition when he hooks up with good engine were done.

What are the best free live streaming links these days, I lost my direct tv hack

How Alonso brilliance exposed Honda's weakness

You could not make it up, as Honda found an all-new way to annoy Fernando Alonso in qualifying.

Just after we marvelled at him taking Pouhon flatout, we got a familiar cry from the cockpit: “No power. No power. From Turn 11 to Turn 12. Half a second. How is this possible?”

It was a rhetorical question, as we all knew who to blame. Honda's systems got confused by Fernando not lifting at the double-left hander, and failed to deploy the 160bhp burst that it should have on the run to Fagnes.

He missed out on a Q3 spot by 0.084s – even after the bold effort of teammate Stoffel Vandoorne to give him a tow.

At a time when his contract negotiations are at a crucial point, it was the last thing Honda, or McLaren, needed.

Whoever have any hope that Honda will improve I would like to know why they still hope so. No signs or evidence towards that really. Only embarrassing things.
    Alonso as it stands should go race some place else as in f1 has no real options

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

You could not make it up, as Honda found an all-new way to annoy Fernando Alonso in qualifying.

Just after we marvelled at him taking Pouhon flatout, we got a familiar cry from the cockpit: “No power. No power. From Turn 11 to Turn 12. Half a second. How is this possible?”

It was a rhetorical question, as we all knew who to blame. Honda's systems got confused by Fernando not lifting at the double-left hander, and failed to deploy the 160bhp burst that it should have on the run to Fagnes.

He missed out on a Q3 spot by 0.084s – even after the bold effort of teammate Stoffel Vandoorne to give him a tow.

At a time when his contract negotiations are at a crucial point, it was the last thing Honda, or McLaren, needed
    It's not just the Honda PU that cannot keep up.....but it's also the telemetry systems. jeeeeeeezzzzzhuuuuus! Honda is just sad.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Toto is spineless, he says he's a "racer" but he won't put Alonso next to rapper boy, would rather have a #2 driver like Bottas instead
    racer my backside.. pathetic.

Not sure what Toto has to do with Alonso going to Williams? But we can't really criticise others for not having 2 no1 drivers can we lol
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Toto is spineless, he says he's a "racer" but he won't put Alonso next to rapper boy, would rather have a #2 driver like Bottas instead
    racer my backside.. pathetic.
    Spinelesss indeed, not like @ Ferrari where both drivers are equal #1s.

I think Fernando is going to crack and move to either Williams or Renault, if McLaren stays with Honda. Looking at Spa and what is going to come at Monza, it was and it will be embarrassing. Honda is in a hole that will take at least 3 years to get out of and Alonso doesn't have that kind of time. At least he will run decently and get in the top 10 at almost every race with either of Williams or Renault. Hulk is doing a great job, finishing 6-7 from time to time so Alonso might do that on a regular note, at Williams he will be a clear no. 1 with money from the canadian sugar daddy and a Mercedes engine.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    If the members of the press owned their very own racing team, Alonso would be in great shape! They're convinced of his brilliance.

The actual teams seem less impressed. Ferrari could have taken him to replace either Kimi or Seb, and passed on him not once but twice. And we have all the telemetry data on all three drivers, so if Fernando were quicker than Seb we'd know about it. Mercedes and Red Bull? Also not interested. It's doubtful that the remaining teams on the grid (other than McHonda) could afford his salary, so if Honda exit the sport he's going to be out of a drive unless he's willing to drive basically for free for a mid-field team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    If the members of the press owned their very own racing team, Alonso would be in great shape! They're convinced of his brilliance.

The actual teams seem less impressed. Ferrari could have taken him to replace either Kimi or Seb, and passed on him not once but twice. And we have all the telemetry data on all three drivers, so if Fernando were quicker than Seb we'd know about it. Mercedes and Red Bull? Also not interested. It's doubtful that the remaining teams on the grid (other than McHonda) could afford his salary, so if Honda exit the sport he's going to be out of a drive unless he's willing to drive basically for free for a mid-field team.
    Seb signed a new deal with a clause saying we can't sign Alonso I believe. Why did we take Seb when the telemetry showed Ricciardio was quicker? LOL
    Forza Ferrari

Kinda glad we took Seb over Ricciardo. Don't think he's as good as everyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Kinda glad we took Seb over Ricciardo. Don't think he's as good as everyone thinks.
    Seb absolutely before Ricciardo! Worse would have been Verstappen .

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Seb absolutely before Ricciardo! Worse would have been Verstappen .
    If we should pick one of the RBR drivers to replace Kimi when he retires, it should definetly be Ricciardo, Max is highly overrated in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    If we should pick one of the RBR drivers to replace Kimi when he retires, it should definetly be Ricciardo, Max is highly overrated in my opinion.
    Antonio G our #3 driver will listen to and obey doing right by #1 Seb. Driving for Ferrari is his ultimate dream! Ricciardo or even Leclerc will not be Rubenized by Ferrari IMO. I agree with you for sure , Max is not the right choice.