Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Is there not a rule that would make Ferrari or Merc have to supply them engines?
    Not really sure. Maybe if no one wanted to supply them engines Renault would have to continue. However, Honda is here and RB doesn't have a choice but to accept it :D

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Is there not a rule that would make Ferrari or Merc have to supply them engines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Not really sure. Maybe if no one wanted to supply them engines Renault would have to continue. However, Honda is here and RB doesn't have a choice but to accept it :D
    So, if a team finds itself where no one is willing to supply said team with engines, then they draw from a hat. Whomever is drawn, they (engine supplier) have to supply said team with engines. All have signed this agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    So, if a team finds itself where no one is willing to supply said team with engines, then they draw from a hat. Whomever is drawn, they (engine supplier) have to supply said team with engines. All have signed this agreement.
    I see. However, i find it it a bit strange that Renault were willing to continue supplying them with engines if they had that option on the table.

I see. However, i find it it a bit strange that Renault were willing to continue supplying them with engines if they had that option on the table.
    Knowing this agreement was on the table, my thoughts were Mclaren would do exactly that due to some performance clause in the contract with Honda in order to break free from the Honda PU thereby relying on the others to supply Mclaren with an engine.

Articles were written these past few days that there was no way Renault was going to supply 3 teams including itself....so something had to give hence RedBull dumping Renault or vice-a-versa to be supplied with Honda for 2018.

What's laughable and would be hilarious if Honda turns things around and TR comes up the ranks and RedBull fights next year in-between the Mercs and Ferrari.....but I doubt it. Alonso would be cursed if that were to happen.

Knowing this agreement was on the table, my thoughts were Mclaren would do exactly that due to some performance clause in the contract with Honda in order to break free from the Honda PU thereby relying on the others to supply Mclaren with an engine.

Articles were written these past few days that there was no way Renault was going to supply 3 teams including itself....so something had to give hence RedBull dumping Renault or vice-a-versa to be supplied with Honda for 2018.

What's laughable and would be hilarious if Honda turns things around and TR comes up the ranks and RedBull fights next year in-between the Mercs and Ferrari.....but I doubt it. Alonso would be cursed if that were to happen.
    No way that can happen. As Horner said it's only a Ferrari and Merc show till 2021 when the engine regulations will be changed. There's just no way for others to catch up. RB are probably placing their hopes that Honda can make it right for the new regulations. However, it will be interesting next year because i think we might get a huge fight between McLaren and RB for third in the constructors. Next year will show how capable McLaren really are of producing a competitive chassis.
    Last edited by Stormy; 14th September 2017 at 21:50.

No way that can happen. As Horner said it's only a Ferrari and Merc show till 2021 when the engine regulations will be changed. There's just no way for others to catch up. RB are probably placing their hopes that Honda can make it right for the new regulations. However, it will be interesting next year because i think we might get a huge fight between McLaren and RB for third in the constructors. Next year will show how capable McLaren really are of producing a competitive chassis.
    There is a credible article and from I have been reading with all these F1 tweets that Merc will PROBABLY drop out with these new regulations and sell the team. There is also speculation that Dieter M. (RedBull) might also sell the team as well.......Porsche is eyeing that option while keeping all the staff which IMO, for a soda can company, is a well run oiled machine....but all this is speculation.

Daniel R. wants out of RedBull at the end of 2018 IF they do not perform with this Honda PU.

Next year will show how capable McLaren really are of producing a competitive chassis.
    True dat; even though in years past the Williams chassis was a notch better than the Mclarens....BUT this is a different car altogether with a wider chassis, wings, and tyres.

Whats also gonna suck big time is the component allocation allotment....it goes down from 4 to 3 and YTD (year-to-date) Honda have used 56 PU's and accumulated over 730 grid penalty points and 36 DNF's in its 3yrs.

There is a credible article and from I have been reading with all these F1 tweets that Merc will PROBABLY drop out with these new regulations and sell the team. There is also speculation that Dieter M. (RedBull) might also sell the team as well.......Porsche is eyeing that option while keeping all the staff which IMO, for a soda can company, is a well run oiled machine....but all this is speculation.

Daniel R. wants out of RedBull at the end of 2018 IF they do not perform with this Honda PU.
    All of this you stated is pretty much possible. Merc might get back with McLaren, Honda might buy their team back from Merc, and RB might become Porsche with RB as the main sponsor. As for Ric, he'll be racing Renault engines next year, so you mean if he doesn't have a title shot with a Renault engine he might leave. RB should switch to Honda at the end of 2019 when their contract with Renault expires. Till then, Honda will only power TR.

All of this you stated is pretty much possible. Merc might get back with McLaren, Honda might buy their team back from Merc, and RB might become Porsche with RB as the main sponsor. As for Ric, he'll be racing Renault engines next year, so you mean if he doesn't have a title shot with a Renault engine he might leave. RB should switch to Honda at the end of 2019 when their contract with Renault expires. Till then, Honda will only power TR.
    correct....I meant 2019 and NOT 2018.

correct....I meant 2019 and NOT 2018.
    Oh sorry, i thought their contract with Renault ends at the end of 2019 so i corrected you. However, you were right all along Meaning that we'll see RB with Renault for only one more year. Damn, RB will be in a world of pain if Honda doesn't make it right.

Red Bull just wet-farted itself and Honda won't give them wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Red Bull just wet-farted itself and Honda won't give them wings?
    I got the feeling Red Bull are just preparing themselves to pull the plug and sell the team. Just as jgonzalesm6 said. Maybe 2019 and 2020 will be like 2005-2008 for them. After 2020 they may sell the team and just continue as a sponsor. Maybe Mateschitz had enough of running an F1 team.

Indeed, that inkling seems to be going around.

I am just guessing, but if Alonso`s bad luck continues, Honda is a beast next year...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    I am just guessing, but if Alonso`s bad luck continues, Honda is a beast next year...LOL
    Then he's cursed and he should go and visit a shaman or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    This is more than likely to happen. And with Alonsos luck, the renault will get worse.
    Give the man a good car!! He deserves a third!
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    This is more than likely to happen. And with Alonsos luck, the renault will get worse.
    Give the man a good car!! He deserves a third!
    But it can't be better than Renault because they are already significantly way ahead. Honda even made a step back from 2016.