Thread: Will the Mexico GP push thru after the massive 7.1 quake today?

Will the Mexico GP push thru after the massive 7.1 quake today?

A strong 7.1 quake devastated Mexico City today, leaving hundreds dead and collapsed buildings and other infrastructures today.

Now the question is, will the Mexican GP be cancelled, considering the race will be a month and a half from now?

If it's going to be cancelled, then Vettel's chances will be slimmer as it will be 1 race less of the 6 remaining races. Just saying.

Anyways, prayers to the victims and hoping for the recovery of Mexico City. We are with you in this tragic time.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    A strong 7.1 quake devastated Mexico City today, leaving hundreds dead and collapsed buildings and other infrastructures today.

Now the question is, will the Mexican GP be cancelled, considering the race will be a month and a half from now?

If it's going to be cancelled, then Vettel's chances will be slimmer as it will be 1 race less of the 6 remaining races. Just saying.

Anyways, prayers to the victims and hoping for the recovery of Mexico City. We are with you in this tragic time.
    I think it's pretty difficult to get through that race. As next 15D there's heavy rain threat too.
    But there's time let's hope for the best.

My prayers to the victims.

Mexico City’s F1 track escapes damage during huge earthquake

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...damage-955776/ … via @motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Mexico City’s F1 track escapes damage during huge earthquake

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...damage-955776/ … via @motorsport
    Not amazed, it's new infrastructure. Most of the buildings that were affected should be old and of not good quality, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Not amazed, it's new infrastructure. Most of the buildings that were affected should be old and of not good quality, right?
    correct. Mexico City sits on a lake bed and has constant quakes so when a quake hits, the soil turns to mud (liquifaction). So when the circuit was built and re-furbished, all structures had to meet code-compliance to handle a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. Most of the buildings that did fall or fractured and therefore deemed unstable (people have been sleepin outside) got "grandfathered" over. Those old buildings are just ticking time bombs until another one hits and people and offices in those old buildings will have to find another earthquake proof venue.

When the one hit in 1982 in Mexico City, my high schools olympic size pools water was crashing over the edge of the pool and the pools location and Mexico's City location was some 20 hours away. All of us were freaking out at the pool water but later found out why it happened....P-waves and S-waves...I forgot which.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    correct. Mexico City sits on a lake bed and has constant quakes so when a quake hits, the soil turns to mud (liquifaction). So when the circuit was built and re-furbished, all structures had to meet code-compliance to handle a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. Most of the buildings that did fall or fractured and therefore deemed unstable (people have been sleepin outside) got "grandfathered" over. Those old buildings are just ticking time bombs until another one hits and people and offices in those old buildings will have to find another earthquake proof venue.

When the one hit in 1982 in Mexico City, my high schools olympic size pools water was crashing over the edge of the pool and the pools location and Mexico's City location was some 20 hours away. All of us were freaking out at the pool water but later found out why it happened....P-waves and S-waves...I forgot which.
    I see, thanks for the elaboration. So, with what you said about the circuit, there's absolutely no need to cancel the race.

I see, thanks for the elaboration. So, with what you said about the circuit, there's absolutely no need to cancel the race.
    Nope. Visually (optic) though is how people or the local "media" will look at this. People suffering dying after a catastrophic earthquake and the officials of Mexico City are holding an F1 race 1.5 months later????

I'm sure during the FP, Quali, or Race they (FOM) will hold some kind of vigil in rememberance of lives lost during the earthquake. "Checko" Perez donated 125,000 Euro's to the cause.

I hope it does'nt get turned that way (local media) and also hope the turnout is equal to or better than last years turn out.

Mexican GP aims to send "powerful message" after tragedy https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ragedy-956085/ … via @motorsport

I surely hope the race goes on in Mexico. Here in NYC after 9-11 the Mets and Yankees played. It was a good think for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I surely hope the race goes on in Mexico. Here in NYC after 9-11 the Mets and Yankees played. It was a good think for everyone.
    Yeah, they can also donate part of the profits to charity.

Yeah, they can also donate part of the profits to charity.
    For sure!

Today two more earthquakes hit Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Today two more earthquakes hit Mexico
    1 was an 6.1(new one) in Oaxaca(state) Mexico. Obviously a chain reaction of events.....that makes 3 earthquakes so far in 3 weeks.