Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2017 COTA (USGP) Race thread

Best way to prevent drivers from exceeding track limits... put barriers at the edge of the track like Monaco

http://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/211...xt-three-years
    Lot of head weight for Lewis. Let's turn the things n spank him next year with our car.

https://twitter.com/mavic009

Lol this Crashstappen clan are a bunch of winers...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post

Is that account official of Jo's? If so, where was he last year when mad max backed vet to DR ???

Think so yes.

Ah well VES got another record to be proud of: Youngest 'driver' to get DQ of the podium twice now .

Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Yeah. That cycle of mercs dominance should come to an end. That's wt needed for the sport 2way or 3way competition. But looking at their engines ....I'm not getting any words to describe anymore. Utter dominance.

Next year checkmate to mercs.
    We would hope so, but there's no guarantee it will be Ferrari who end Merc's cycle of dominance, it could well be RB again or even Mclaren and Renault, that's the scary bit. We live in hope that we can re-gain our dominance sooner rather than later, and wipe that smirk off HAM and Mercedes's faces.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Is that account official of Jo's? If so, where was he last year when mad max backed vet to DR ???

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Isn't this exploitable though? If you have 0 strikes, you can do what Max did and overtake off the track and your only punishment will be, that you'll get 1 strike out of 3. I would rather fill all these run offs with grass, sand, gravel, water with sharks and the problem is gone.
    Sorry didn't explain in full as had my daughter chatting to me. In the race it's the same as qualifying, with all 4 wheels off. But if you are seen to gain a clear advantage as in overtake you must give it back or if to bad an advantage then straight away it's stop and go or drive through.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post

Cutting a corner to overtake like Max did is always a slam dunk penalty. Allowing track limit exceeds when being considered as not gaining advantage during qualifying for example is a confusing rule set from the FIA, but cutting a corner to overtake is almost always a penalty as with a jump start or crossing the pit lane exit lines (unless you give the place back). Not sure anyone else cut corners to overtake, so not sure what the whining is about from dad and son.

Just saw the race.

Driver of the day: Max. Sucks he got the penalty but it is what it is.

Battles: Ricci and Bottas. Ricci dnf's. Kimi on Bottas. Whats happened with Bottas as of late?? Max on almost everyone. Sainz (great race) on Ocon. Lewis on Vettel. Ferrari needs more hp. The 2018 W09 will have a shorter wheelbase than current W08.

Massa still ahead of the Stroller...unbelievable!!!

Pics of track limits all from COTA; Stewards are so inconsistent.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMxswtMU8AAdHPq.jpg ( Seb on the starting lap Turn 1....does this not warrant a 5 sec. grid penalty???)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMxswtNV4AAkDuw.jpg (same pic...Sebs. on-board)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM1lUhIVoAAml3J.jpg ( so why is Max's penalized?????????)

Here's how to put an end to track limits.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM2BWVIXcAEskZ3.jpg

Just put grass in both sides of the track and problem solve!!!! You use more then what you need and... off you go.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Quote Originally Posted by 19000rpmF-2004 View Post
    Just put grass in both sides of the track and problem solve!!!! You use more then what you need and... off you go.
    that is why i dont' like these new type tracks and even some of the older ones because they modified them and have such huge run off areas.........just bring back the GRAVEL TRAPS....you go off the track and you car is beached...in other words, END of race for you
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Just saw the race.

Battles: Ricci and Bottas. Ricci dnf's. Kimi on Bottas. Whats happened with Bottas as of late?? Max on almost everyone. Sainz (great race) on Ocon. Lewis on Vettel. Ferrari needs more hp. The 2018 W09 will have a shorter wheelbase than current W08.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMxswtMU8AAdHPq.jpg ( Seb on the starting lap Turn 1....does this not warrant a 5 sec. grid penalty???)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM1lUhIVoAAml3J.jpg ( so why is Max's penalized?????????)

The difference is that Vettel went wide and was disadvantaged.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    that is why i dont' like these new type tracks and even some of the older ones because they modified them and have such huge run off areas.........just bring back the GRAVEL TRAPS....you go off the track and you car is beached...in other words, END of race for you
    I guess they think because F1 cars are much faster than before they need run off areas. Different speeds-different needs. But this is just an excuse imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    .........just bring back the GRAVEL TRAPS....you go off the track and you car is beached...in other words, END of race for you
    +1

China 2007 flashback

Marchionne: Blaming one person for Ferrari failure "idiotic"

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne says singling out team principal Maurizio Arrivabene or technical chief Mattia Binotto for the Italian Formula 1 team's recent poor performance would be "idiotic".

A first-lap crash that ended both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen's race in Singapore, followed by engine trouble at Malaysia and Japan, derailed Ferrari's hopes in both the drivers' and constructors' championships.

Mercedes clinched the constructors' title in Austin while Vettel now trails Lewis Hamilton by 66 points with 75 remaining after finishing runner-up to the Mercedes driver at the Circuit of the Americas.

When asked if there was a chance Arrivabene would be replaced by Binotto following the team's failure this year, Marchionne said: "No. Both Mattia and Maurizio have been involved in this process. Picking one or the other is a bit idiotic.

"They were both at the table when the operation was going on and technically I'm involved too, I was the chairman.

"But that's not going to solve the issue. We need to win, that's the more important thing. I don't think it's attributable to a single guy. Processes may have not helped and those things are being addressed."

Marchionne previously said Ferrari had paid the price for "ignoring" quality control, with the team subsequently drafting in Maria Mendoza from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles to reorganise its quality control department.

But speaking to reporters, Marchionne insisted the move would not spark a series of personnel changes and insisted "I don't think we need to overhaul the team".

He added: "The things that have happened in the last three Asia races have really been a collection of the most unfortunate events.

"With the exception of the technical failures we've had, which are quality driven, everything else was just a fluke and it happened.

"The likelihood of us repeating those errors is hopefully very small. We've made one change to the organisation by bringing in someone who's got experience on the quality side to try and strengthen our skills.

"The rest of it I think is within the way in which we manage. I think we'll be alright, I don't think we need to overhaul the team, I don't think we need to make changes.

"This team knows how to win and knows how to get it done, just give them the space."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...diotic-969436/
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I liked last point he mentioned " just give them space".

Hopefully next year they strong again with innovative development parts & strong engine.

Lewis stated that Vettel blew his tires by going way faster than needed and that's why he got overtaken. So what, if he wen't slower and preserved his tires he wouldn't get overtaken? What a dull remark.

Lewis agrees.

“I don’t know who made the decision but there’s all these run-off areas. Why is that not grass? If that was grass he wouldn’t have gone there.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilto...ouldnt-be-off/

Kimi showed class in letting Verstappen rejoin and leaving him room to prevent an accident. If it was the other way around I am sure a crash would have happened. Verstappen is talented but a chaos to be around the circuit with. All those DNF's are just a part car related, remember Ricciardo "wondering" who hit him in his last DNF before this one? I admire bold driving, but when others need to do certain moves to avoid an accident, its just reckless driving and that makes you a future Maldonado if it doesnt stop. If Kimi retires I would like Ricciardo to join us, Max can keep his seat at RBR, or better yet join Mercedes and cost them the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Just saw the race.

Probably because he cut the corner to gain a position. How do you defend against a guy that's going to go off track to pass? The others were either forced wide (which is different than cutting the apex of a corner ie: making it shorter), or drifted wide on exit. Except maybe the Sainz pass. Regardless.. it was an illegal pass and if allowed to stand would set a precedent. I agree with all the people saying bring back grass and gravel. Make it a penalty to go off track.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Probably because he cut the corner to gain a position. How do you defend against a guy that's going to go off track to pass? The others were either forced wide (which is different than cutting the apex of a corner ie: making it shorter), or drifted wide on exit. Except maybe the Sainz pass. Regardless.. it was an illegal pass and if allowed to stand would set a precedent. I agree with all the people saying bring back grass and gravel. Make it a penalty to go off track.
    Oh I agree Max cut the corner to gain a position; penalty just deserved. Sainz gave back the position. Bottas deserved one(penalty) as well for going wide on the track to gain position after turn 1 then passing DR.

yeah, bring back the grass or gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Kimi showed class in letting Verstappen rejoin and leaving him room to prevent an accident. If it was the other way around I am sure a crash would have happened. Verstappen is talented but a chaos to be around the circuit with. All those DNF's are just a part car related, remember Ricciardo "wondering" who hit him in his last DNF before this one? I admire bold driving, but when others need to do certain moves to avoid an accident, its just reckless driving and that makes you a future Maldonado if it doesnt stop. If Kimi retires I would like Ricciardo to join us, Max can keep his seat at RBR, or better yet join Mercedes and cost them the WCC.
    Max is talented driver. But not skillful yet.
    Hes over aggressive, reckless. That's costing dnf for other teams n himself.

He will learn n drive carefully when age comes on. There's plenty of time for him in F1.

Coming to DR move to Ferrari, yes I would love to have him in. Even if he's not available, I would like sainz as kimi replacement. He's adaptable n quick.
    By the time vet ends his contract with Ferrari, there's leclerc (if he proves hes fast) available.

Two quick drivers is always good for the team. I'm thinking next year is last for kimi. He's gonna retire at Ferrari. I'm expecting good send off. Also DR as his replacement, that's why Mr horner was highliting about DR to not consider any offers quickly.

As per rumours from paddock, RB team got into 2021 rules pretty early. So that's why max did extended his contract.

What are those 2021 rules?

DR is a potential substitution for Kimi in 2019. However, DR's biggest concern at the moment is not thinking about other teams but beating Max in 2018 because if he doesn't make it his strong reputation is in jeopardy. His market value might go way down. The best alternative for DR would've been to leave RB at the end of this season and not risk getting obliterated by Max. Unfortunately that's not possible because there are no seats in the top teams available.

However, what about Leclerc? I don't how much you can prove yourself to be a champion material in a Sauber though, you need to be at least in midfield to prove yourself as an upcoming star. Maybe if he proves somewhat in Sauber then he can climb the ladder to midfield and see if he's worth the shot in a Ferrari for 2020 or 2021. It's about time Ferrari develops a good racer.
    Last edited by Stormy; 24th October 2017 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    DR is a potential substitution for Kimi in 2019. However, DR's biggest concern at the moment is not thinking about other teams but beating Max in 2018 because if he doesn't make it his strong reputation is in jeopardy. His market value might go way down. The best alternative for DR would've been to leave RB at the end of this season and not risk getting obliterated by Max. Unfortunately that's not possible because there are no seats in the top teams available.

However, what about Leclerc? I don't how much you can prove yourself to be a champion material in a Sauber though, you need to be at least in midfield to prove yourself as an upcoming star. Maybe if he proves somewhat in Sauber then he can climb the ladder to midfield and see if he's worth the shot in a Ferrari for 2020 or 2021. It's about time Ferrari develops a good racer.
    I dont think Max can obliterate any of the top 7-8 drivers next season. He has been beaten quite clearly by Ricciardo this year, and next year he will have DNFs aswell because of his chaotic driving style, so I think Ricciardo will be safe. Furthermore I think he will beat Max next season too.

I dont think Max can obliterate any of the top 7-8 drivers next season. He has been beaten quite clearly by Ricciardo this year, and next year he will have DNFs aswell because of his chaotic driving style, so I think Ricciardo will be safe. Furthermore I think he will beat Max next season too.
    I don’t think Ricciardo has beaten Max ‘quite clearly’. Max has had poor luck with reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    What are those 2021 rules?
    Don't know particularly. It was coming from SM words n media too.
    SM too was concerned about it and was here at US GP for talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

Actually Ferrari team asked Haas to put leclerc in one of their seat. But Haas rejected by saying both of their drivers are committed to team till 2018.
    So there's no option for Ferrari to put him in sauber.

I think Haas would be a good option for leclerc to prove something rather than sauber. I don't know what he would achieve with that car or ferrari team expecting.

Don't think so. If max doesn't have DNF's he would have clearly outclassed Ric. Just like DR vs Vet 2014.

Mr horner was also concerned about it, thats why he warned Ric to not look for other teams as options. May be Ric was thinking for other options after 2018. As team would prefer max in 2018.
    I think it's similar situation when DR arrived at RB after Webber n vet was feeling insecured.