Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617

Thread: 2017 Mexican GP - Race

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Felipe Massa retirement letter from Williams. Hopefully he leaves for good this time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNya3_RXcAAOW6J.jpg
    Cool, he is past his time. Let's see who Williams brings next now. Kubica, Di Resta or possibly Wehrlein?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Cool, he is past his time. Let's see who Williams brings next now. Kubica, Di Resta or possibly Wehrlein?
    I think Pascal has a chance. Two young drivers in the team.

Those earlier posts regarding Felipe are very unnecessary and I am disappointed to think that we support the same team when credit cannot be given for a long and successful career for one of our own drivers. Admittedly the last few years were difficult and his 2009 accident certainly didn't help, but come on guys, let's hear it for a great driver and sincere human being.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Those earlier posts regarding Felipe are very unnecessary and I am disappointed to think that we support the same team when credit cannot be given for a long and successful career for one of our own drivers. Admittedly the last few years were difficult and his 2009 accident certainly didn't help, but come on guys, let's hear it for a great driver and sincere human being.
    Well, he is a bit salty towards Ferrari after the team sacked him. Nevertheless, i respect what he has done as a driver and i fully respect him as a human being. I just said he is past his time. The same goes for Kimi and a like Kimi.

He has not been the same after the incident. Some drivers should just gracefully bow out of F1 when at the end of their "performance" cycle; he should have stayed retired. Fully understand as to why he came back but Williams could have picked up Button instead of Massa...oh well.

He has not been the same after the incident. Some drivers should just gracefully bow out of F1 when at the end of their "performance" cycle; he should have stayed retired. Fully understand as to why he came back but Williams could have picked up Button instead of Massa...oh well.
    Hopefully Hamilton will soon reach that point in his driving cycle, Kimi is almost there too! No point arguing about it as we are entitled to have our favourites!

The same went for Shumy, he should have stayed retired. He was just obsessed with Senna's pole wins, only to have Lewis reach 72 while still in action. Yes at the end of there " performance cycle"; Schumy also should have stayed retired. Massa for sure looked up to Schumy, maybe that's why he said yes to come back. Anyway he for sure did right by Stroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    The same went for Shumy, he should have stayed retired. He was just obsessed with Senna's pole wins, only to have Lewis reach 72 while still in action. Yes at the end of there " performance cycle"; Schumy also should have stayed retired. Massa for sure looked up to Schumy, maybe that's why he said yes to come back. Anyway he for sure did right by Stroll.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Not sure on what basis you can say all this, let's not get blind only because Seb happens to be a Ferrari driver
    I'm not really blind to Seb, but I think he did a very good job at keeping the WDC race alive. I base my opinion on the fact that Hamilton has only really raced his team mate for the last 3 years and only this year has had to really battle for wins and really not that often. On tracks that he's struggled he's really struggled and hasn't really impressed. On the others he's had a pretty good margin of performance. I think Vettel had to do a lot more to stay competitive all year than Hamilton had to. I think Hamilton had the better car throughout the season at most tracks and I don't really think he would have been in the same spot as Vettel if he was in the Ferrari. I could be wrong, but I think if Vettel had the Merc the championship would have been over a lot sooner.
    Like I said, I think Max would have driven the Ferrari as well as Vettel and maybe Alonso. They seem to be able to get a lot from their cars. I could be wrong, maybe you see that as being a blind Seb follower but can you tell me otherwise?
    Was Hamilton much better than Vettel? Would he have done better than Vettel in the Ferrari?

I couldn't agree more! But I also believe Kimi in Lewis' Merc would have been at least as good as the others. Maybe just a little more to be desired with after victory interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I'm not really blind to Seb, but I think he did a very good job at keeping the WDC race alive. I base my opinion on the fact that Hamilton has only really raced his team mate for the last 3 years and only this year has had to really battle for wins and really not that often. On tracks that he's struggled he's really struggled and hasn't really impressed. On the others he's had a pretty good margin of performance. I think Vettel had to do a lot more to stay competitive all year than Hamilton had to. I think Hamilton had the better car throughout the season at most tracks and I don't really think he would have been in the same spot as Vettel if he was in the Ferrari. I could be wrong, but I think if Vettel had the Merc the championship would have been over a lot sooner.
    Like I said, I think Max would have driven the Ferrari as well as Vettel and maybe Alonso. They seem to be able to get a lot from their cars. I could be wrong, maybe you see that as being a blind Seb follower but can you tell me otherwise?
    Was Hamilton much better than Vettel? Would he have done better than Vettel in the Ferrari?
    It's very hard to predict what Hamilton would've done in this year's Ferrari & Vettel with that Merc, all I know is a driver can be judged best when he deals with mediocre cars, anybody can come alive with fast cars but it's the character & driving around problems, that's where you define greatness. Michael Schumacher was the master of this, from current lot Alonso is the best at it followed by Hamilton (2009 season). Vettel had a mediocre car in 2014 & he was clearly struggling. Max is slowly moving towards that path. Coming back to the original point, Hamilton got better of Rosberg, yes he was his own teammate but personally for him beating Rosberg in an identical car would've been more difficult than beating Seb in Ferrari. It cannot be said with certainty that Vettel did best with this Ferrari, Vettel is a great driver but other talents are no less.

Felipe Massa retirement letter from Williams. Hopefully he leaves for good this time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNya3_RXcAAOW6J.jpg
    Finally. He won't be missed.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Let's hear what? He served the team, he left the team, he was bitter and behaved at times badly towards the team. He is in the past, and people need to understand this. He is no longer a member of the team. The end.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Actually MS didn't care about any of what you said, he just wanted to race, he missed it.
    He came back, did what he wanted and retired a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Let's hear what? He served the team, he left the team, he was bitter and behaved at times badly towards the team. He is in the past, and people need to understand this. He is no longer a member of the team. The end.
    Behaved badly towards the team? He may not have made it easy for a Ferrari to pass him on occasions, but he was then driving for Williams, his loyalty to his current team is always unquestionable and he was fighting for his career. He must have felt slightly bitter about being replaced by Ferrari, but I don't believe he ever behaved badly towards the team in which he was much loved.

Well Felipe will be keen to do well in his last home race. Looks like they're forecasting rain for part of the week end.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/events/grand-prix-brazil

Actually MS didn't care about any of what you said, he just wanted to race, he missed it.
    He came back, did what he wanted and retired a gentleman.
    OK I just caught my breath so I can type! The gentleman of Austria 2002! Parking his car on the track in front of Alonso. Trying to take out his former team mate pushing him into a wall! Thank God "He missed it." Schumy just wanted that pole record, he came back and did what he wanted and retired . No more Todt's radio , no more Ross, why stick around ?
    He just wanted to race, he would miss it, so he came back is exactly why former Ferrari driver Massa came back. Who knows, maybe Clair will beg Felipe again , to come back? I would love to see him back a 3rd time. That would be a record!
    Last edited by Brembo; 8th November 2017 at 05:59.

maybe Felipe will return for just one race, 'ā la Jenson'

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    maybe Felipe will return for just one race, 'ā la Jenson'
    Maybe, if he agrees to be a reserve driver, which i doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    It's very hard to predict what Hamilton would've done in this year's Ferrari & Vettel with that Merc, all I know is a driver can be judged best when he deals with mediocre cars, anybody can come alive with fast cars but it's the character & driving around problems, that's where you define greatness. Michael Schumacher was the master of this, from current lot Alonso is the best at it followed by Hamilton (2009 season). Vettel had a mediocre car in 2014 & he was clearly struggling. Max is slowly moving towards that path. Coming back to the original point, Hamilton got better of Rosberg, yes he was his own teammate but personally for him beating Rosberg in an identical car would've been more difficult than beating Seb in Ferrari. It cannot be said with certainty that Vettel did best with this Ferrari, Vettel is a great driver but other talents are no less.

Well that is purely subjective. Who can say for sure who got the most of any of the cars? All cars are different so we can't say 100% who did the best job. But going by how much of a performance advantage Merc had, did Hamilton drive that much better than Vettel? Or did Vettel get the max out of a Ferrari that wasn't quite on par with the MErc? I think Hamilton was sub par on tracks where the performance advantage of his car wasn't as much of a factor, and his team mate handily beat him.
    I think Vettel proved what he's able to do with a mediocre car, he hasn't always had the best car. 2014 Ricciardo had a banner year but also had some better reliability. 2009 was probably the only real bad car Hamilton has driven and he was complaining about it constantly, until it got much better in the second half of the season. I think all of his other cars have been pretty competitive and I wonder how his patience would have held out if he had some of the reliability issues Ferrari had.

OK I just caught my breath so I can type! The gentleman of Austria 2002! Parking his car on the track in front of Alonso. Trying to take out his former team mate pushing him into a wall! Thank God "He missed it." Schumy just wanted that pole record, he came back and did what he wanted and retired . No more Todt's radio , no more Ross, why stick around ?
    He just wanted to race, he would miss it, so he came back is exactly why former Ferrari driver Massa came back. Who knows, maybe Clair will beg Felipe again , to come back? I would love to see him back a 3rd time. That would be a record!
    I think Massa should go out with some dignity. He hasn't helped his legacy at all the last year. Schumacher should have stayed retired as well. He left the sport at his peak and after a great year long battle with Alonso. He should never have come back.

I think Massa should go out with some dignity. He hasn't helped his legacy at all the last year. Schumacher should have stayed retired as well. He left the sport at his peak and after a great year long battle with Alonso. He should never have come back.
    Well the same goes for Michael Jordan but his comeback didn't hurt his legacy he's still a legend same as Schumy.

Well the same goes for Michael Jordan but his comeback didn't hurt his legacy he's still a legend same as Schumy.
    Maybe the difference in stature a bit bigger between Jordan, Schumi and Massa. I don't consider him a legend.

You just described Shumy to a tee. How dare he race against Ferrari in a Merc! Truly bad behavior, he should have at least always let Ferrari pass. F1 wise, he is way in the past, Ferrari fans should understand this. He is more a member of Merc than the team he left, Ferrari. The end.

Maybe the difference in stature a bit bigger between Jordan, Schumi and Massa. I don't consider him a legend.
    Massa is not a legend, just an average racer. But Schumy is an absolute racing legend. No doubt about that.

Massa is not a legend, just an average racer. But Schumy is an absolute racing legend. No doubt about that.
    That's a bit unfair, Stormy, have you forgotten the occasion when Massa was a World Champion for all of 10secs and the times he was quicker than MS? Credit where it's due, he was more than an average racer in my book and humble with it.

No doubt Merc feels that way about their former retired driver ! I'm sure Ferrari fans also remember the Rubens era and his teamate and Todt with his absolute legendary " Let him pass!" And to think , now Merc has an absolute racing legend driver in the Great Brit, Lewis! It looks like this Merc driver will go out breaking every F1 record he gets his hands on, with no Todt or Ross in sight . Massa will retire as a great F1 driver, driving average , not the top car, and still doing a great job and still has us fans here talking about him and wishing him well. I believe for sure Stroll is one of Felipe's biggest fans. A true teamate!

No doubt Merc feels that way about their former retired driver ! I'm sure Ferrari fans also remember the Rubens era and his teamate and Todt with his absolute legendary " Let him pass!" And to think , now Merc has an absolute racing legend driver in the Great Brit, Lewis! It looks like this Merc driver will go out breaking every F1 record he gets his hands on, with no Todt or Ross in sight . Massa will retire as a great F1 driver, driving average , not the top car, and still doing a great job and still has us fans here talking about him and wishing him well. I believe for sure Stroll is one of Felipe's biggest fans. A true teamate!
    No Todt or Brawn, but 3 years of absolutely no competition due to FIA rules favouring Merc and prohibiting engine development.

No Todt or Brawn, but 3 years of absolutely no competition due to FIA rules favouring Merc and prohibiting engine development.
    +1

+1
    Let's see if the FIA can get Lewis and his Merc to finish from last place into the top 10 somewhere. Wow from the pit to a taste of 1st. and finishes 4th! FIA written all over it!
    Last edited by Brembo; 15th November 2017 at 10:42.