Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 104 of 104

Thread: Formula E Thread

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    Formula E returns to Zurich this Sunday.
    Clearly a day for the armchair! FE 16.30-18.15 I believe
    Then 18.10 the pit lane opens for the Canadian grand prix.


    Forza Jules

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    66
    Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
    honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
    honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.
    I watched it too and have enjoyed the racing but like you, the sound is a real turn-off, it's like my Scalextric set from the 60s!

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    17,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
    honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.
    turned off after few laps? give it time and watch the racing.

    Yes, it hasnt got the "sound" of the engines we ALL have grown up with and got to know. But hey, hold on, whats the series called? Formula E, electric racing. Not going be loud, FE is a completely different concept and marketing racing series. Its not about the sound, its about the racing and most of all which alot of the big manufacturers are looking at it, its the show case for their electric technology.

    If you take off your blinkers, and watch FE for it its is marketed for, think you will like it. Its only because its seen as "not cool" to watch or get interested in. FE isnt wanting to be the next "F1" its a whole different marketing platform and race platform.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    419
    I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed. Aside from an eye-catching drive from Di Grassi, I didn't like much else - the sound is awful, cars are hideous, the race track was a joke and the whole changing cars half way through is a farce. Clearly they are looking for a way to market the tech, but as a motorsport viewer, I found it very artificial and difficult to muster any enthusiasm.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed..
    I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series.
    I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
    I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ????
    Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.
    I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December.
    Patience is key.


    Forza Jules

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series.
    I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
    I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ????
    Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.
    I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December.
    Patience is key.
    It was my fifth FE race. As for Fiat, if they don't want to go racing, then they shouldn't. I feel Formula E is currently too much of a marketing bonanza and needs better technical competition and also needs to be a far better spectacle. I don't want to hear about how electric is going to be the future every time I change the channel. I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.
    Horses for courses then.


    Forza Jules

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
    Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
    Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.
    Hope Felipe can do similar next year.


    Forza Jules

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
    Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
    Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.
    Hope Felipe can do similar next year.
    Couldn't have put it better myself, racingbradley! Both JEV and Sam have Ferrari connections so we got 1st and 2nd really, but gutting for Sam all the same. Good racing in NYC too, I still hate the Scalextric sound but it's good to see different drivers in with a chance of good placings, as long as the Audis don't wipe the floor with everyone else like they did in WEC.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    What a race that was to-day. A stunning gutsy race by JEV.
    It had everything competitive wheel to wheel racing, crashes, VSA, even intervention by FIA.
    Hmm Bottas can get away with a jump start but not Andre Lotterer!


    Forza Jules

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    The world’s first all-electric racing car series finished its fourth season in New York over the weekend, and while Formula 1 is asking itself questions about identity and relevance, Formula E knows exactly where it’s going.

    Next season FE has a new car and race format, with the car swaps – which always highlighted the deficiency of ‘range anxiety’ – gone as battery technology improves. I spoke with a CEO of a major manufacturer recently, and he made it abundantly clear where the road car market is going in the next decade: the focus is on hybrids right now, but full electric is the destination we’re all heading to.

    Crucially, Formula E is perfectly placed to take full advantage. BMW and Nissan join for season five; then it’s Porsche and Mercedes entering a year later, along with the already-present Audi, DS (Citroen), Jaguar, Mahindra, NIO, Penske and Venturi.

    If that glittering line-up of automotive giants doesn’t prompt F1 to truly nail its sense of self over future regulations, I don’t know what will.

    Motorsport.com Insider [info@motorsport.com]


    Forza Jules

  13. #103
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,204
    A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!
    Hmm Brembo you could eat your words in a few years.
    It could and probably will come to pass.


    Forza Jules

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •