Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula E Thread

Formula E Thread

Well, its been 4 years, i must admit i have only ever watched, oooooo maybe 4 races in all. Been bit "snobby" because of the whole electric thing. But, hey its exciting racing, and top class drivers and manufacturers. So, this season i will make an effort to watch and follow more, especially as Sam is racing. I know he been in the series since year 1.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Bird: "that was a really crazy race"

"That was a really crazy race - I'm finding it hard to process what just happened," said Virgin DS Racing's Sam Bird, still fresh from the race. Claiming the first victory of Season Four of the FIA Formula E Championship here in Hong Kong, Bird defied all odds and worked his way around a number of obstacles - including a hefty eight-second penalty - to finish on top of the standings.

"It was a simple error," claimed Bird, who picked up the time penalty after overshooting the pitbox when switching to his second car. "It was a drivethrough, I served my penalty and I thought I'd come out in P7 or P8, or something like that but I got on the radio ...and they said you're in P1... I'd never in a million years expected that."

Having started in second place, Bird managed to sneak past poleman Vergne in the first half of the race. "He's a super tough competitor and he's not going to let me past easily but it was fair and there was enough room, so I was able to get through," he said. After a delay in the opening minutes due to a red flag, caused by Vergne's teammate Andre Lotterer hitting a wall on Turn 3, the racing was back underway, with only a minor stall on track for Renault e.dams driver Sebastien Buemi following a technical failure.

Watching all the action from the wings was former Formula One World Champion Nico Rosberg, who made a guest appearance at the circuit. "I've been following Formula E - it has an amazing future," said Rosberg. Despite having retired from racing after winning the 2016 Grand Prix for Mercedes, Rosberg admitted he's "open to explore" what the possibilities are in Formula E, "I'm very interested."

Back on track, Vergne's frenzied hot lap during the Super Pole shoot-out in Qualifying, saw him clip the wall, spin round and cross the line backwards but - believe it or not - he still managed to walk away with the Julius Baer Pole Position. Hats off to the Frenchman who ended up claiming a well-deserved second place for the Chinese TECHEETAH team on home soil. "I'm second in the championship and I'm here for the long run, so I wasn't going to do anything silly with sam," said Vergne. With Bird out in the lead, Vergne and Mahindra Racing's Nick Heidfeld were left to battle it out between them but Hiedfield failed to pass, despite his best efforts.

For Audi Sport Abt Shaeffler driver and reigning champion Lucas di Grassi, it wasn't quite the race he'd hoped for. Picking up damage during the first half of the race, di Grassi was forced into an early car swap to finish the race just two places from the bottom.

With a total of five new faces on the grid, Round One proved to be a steep but encouraging learning curve for newcomer Andretti Formula E driver Kamui Kobayashi. "I was struggling with radio communication and I left a lot of energy. It was not brilliant but this race was very important ahead of tomorrow," he said. Having claimed 29 per cent of the votes on FANBOOST, the Japanese ex-Formula One driver had won over the crowd before he'd even left the pits. For NIO Formula E Team's new rookie driver Luca Filippi, "it was quite a chaotic race but good fun for the people watching." After a good start, Filippi was hampered by a drivethrough penalty, which set him back, finishing eleventh overall.

Both Venturi Formula E's Maro Engel and Mahindra Racing's Felix Rosenqvist picked up 22-second time penalties - to be applied after tomorrow's race - for using 190kW during the race - 10kW over the 180kW allowance for Season Four.

"We didn't expect to dominate Round One, but I'll take that," said Bird, merrily - before the news of his ten grid penalty, clearly. Tomorrow, the British driver will need to summon everything to claw his way back to the front. But, of course, tomorrow is another day and all 20 drivers will be fighting for a place on the podium as we prepare for Round Two of the HKT Hong Kong E-Prix.

Missed today's race? It's okay - we've got you covered with our broadcast guide. Don't forget to tune in for tomorrow's race at 3:00pm (local time).

Just now watching the race, wheres all the fans?

Thanks for starting this thread, Rob, I'm sure a lot of us will be forced to get used to electric racing cars in the future, the races tend to be pretty competitive with some great drivers and increasing manufacturer support. Come on Ferrari, or maybe Maserati, then we'll have Ferrari, Alfa and Maserati in top-line racing!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    . Come on Ferrari, or maybe Maserati, then we'll have Ferrari, Alfa and Maserati in top-line racing!
    Thank you Rob for setting up this thread. Now its up to us to use it and start some discussion.
    I find FE exciting, close racing but of course the whine of the cars is a bit annoying until you get used to it.
    what I like is you don't expect any particular driver to win even though he may be in the front row.
    I know Marchionne has had a look at the series and said Ferrari/Fiat will not be joining in the near future but maybe when the series has grown up (or something like that)
    I would love to see a Maserati or Fiat badged car in the series piloted by one Felipe Massa
    As for the fans we don't get any shots of them during the race but they must be somewhere behind the barriers as they are certainly there when the boys go to the podium.
    I hope that one day soon this series will have evolved so that we will see some races on a proper track.

Forza Jules

de Grassi, Piquet Jr. , hopefully Felipe Massa soon! Miami !! My home away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    de Grassi, Piquet Jr. , hopefully Felipe Massa soon! Miami !! My home away from home.
    Both those have won the series Piquet in the first season and De Grassi is the current champion!!!!! And the least we say about Piquet Jr the better Brembo!!!!!!

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Both those have won the series Piquet in the first season and De Grassi is the current champion!!!!! And the least we say about Piquet Jr the better Brembo!!!!!!
    The least , for sure! You have a great memory! There's a lot to get used to from F1 to F-E but it's the future for sure. Two cars per driver for ex. I'm not sure, do they change tires at all ? They use Michelin I believe.

The least , for sure! You have a great memory! There's a lot to get used to from F1 to F-E but it's the future for sure. Two cars per driver for ex. I'm not sure, do they change tires at all ? They use Michelin I believe.
    Singapore 2008 is a day I won't forget. After the race I joined TSN as I needed to chat with other Felipe fans.
    Some nice touches in FE eg the car swap is good to watch. I also like 3 points for pole and 1 for the fastest lap. Apart from that the points system is the same as F1.There is no separate tyre change just the complete car which is so good to watch .......those boys certainly are fit!!!!
    Try this and if you cannot load let me know and I will copy and paste.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/regulations/

Forza Jules

R Bradley thank you !! I give you a " Formula E Fan Boost! " Now I won't have to drive you crazy asking what's going on every race.

The car change may change next year or year after. They working on the battery capacity so the charge would last all race. But, to be honest, if they do make them to last, i think it would take away part of the "show" its good they swap cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The car change may change next year or year after. They working on the battery capacity so the charge would last all race. But, to be honest, if they do make them to last, i think it would take away part of the "show" its good they swap cars.
    I so agree Rob I love the car swap and marvel at the speed they get in, steering wheel in place and buckled into the second car.
    I too have read they are developing a battery that should last the race. The only positive I would get from that is maybe they could start using a proper race track in some countries.
    I like the fanboost as its nice to interact and give your favourite a bit of help maybe.

Forza Jules

I so agree Rob I love the car swap and marvel at the speed they get in, steering wheel in place and buckled into the second car.
    I too have read they are developing a battery that should last the race. The only positive I would get from that is maybe they could start using a proper race track in some countries.
    I like the fanboost as its nice to interact and give your favourite a bit of help maybe.
    racingbradley, Brembo has given you a fan-boost already so you're in pole position to lead us Felipe fans into this new era of motorsport, let's hope we will be able to cheer him on in this formula some day soon.

Sarcasm Wisepie from one soooooo young

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    racingbradley, Brembo has given you a fan-boost already so you're in pole position to lead us Felipe fans into this new era of motorsport, let's hope we will be able to cheer him on in this formula some day soon.

Have read that Felipe is doing some Brazilian stock car racing next year.

Its a nice touch with fan interactation. For the cars to run around proper tracks, i think they would need to bolt on fair bit more DF. The cars are well suited for point on squirt street tracks. Which are also narrow, my main concern would be proper race tracks, could see the field more spread out and lessen the action we get now on street tracks.

Also, R Bradley, i have text Sam asking if he wouldnt mind answer couple questions about Formula E. He may do it, just incase, if you got a question you like me to pass on to him, PM me and i will ask.

The fan interaction certainly gives FE another dimension and I agree that using street tracks is their best domain. Rob, watch out for racingbradley's reaction to your offer, I am sure any questions will be suitably fruity, but it's very kind of you and gets us nearer to the action, in readiness for Felipe's possible involvement!!

Also, R Bradley, i have text Sam asking if he wouldnt mind answer couple questions about Formula E. He may do it, just incase, if you got a question you like me to pass on to him, PM me and i will ask.
    Thank you Rob for the kind offer & I appreciate getting information from a current driver.
    ATM I cannot think of a single question I would like to ask Sam. I'm sure as the season progresses something will spring to mind.
    Last edited by racingbradley; 13th December 2017 at 10:14.

Forza Jules

Thank you Rob for the kind offer & I appreciate getting information from a current driver.
    ATM I cannot think of a single question I would like to ask Sam. I'm sure as the season progresses something will spring to mind.
    He said later in season.

Listened to Midweekmotorsport (RadioLeMans.com) Wednesday night they had a good bit about FE, mainly because of the Montreal race being dropped. But, they mentioned the reason FE do not go to proper race tracks, is because they also want to be different, but the downside is, race promotors got pay massive fees to turn city streets into rae track and have the facilities. The Candian firm that was backing the FE race, pulled out because the ticket sales was under half that was said would be sold. Half of those were given away free, and the TV numbers were no near what they were told would be aswell.

FE needs the likes of Stroll to drive! It's unfortunately all about $$$$. At least FE has that in common with F1.

FE needs the likes of Stroll to drive! It's unfortunately all about $$$$. At least FE has that in common with F1.
    give it a rest seriously mate.

give it a rest seriously mate.
    Just joking ! $$ means nothing to F1 or FE ! They can easily survive on the clean air the driver who's up front in 1st pos. has going for him. Any fan here who mentions $$ as a factor in F1 is wrong. Read the above.

Just joking ! $$ means nothing to F1 or FE ! They can easily survive on the clean air the driver who's up front in 1st pos. has going for him. Any fan here who mentions $$ as a factor in F1 is wrong. Read the above.
    Sorry for derailing thread, but the issues you have with "pay drivers" stroll, Todt, Schuey, Brawn and anyone else been harsh to Massa and Rubens is getting old and boring.

You say you Ferrari fan, but the years of Todt and Schuey bought Ferrari so much success, but you still bitter. Get over it. Stop trying to find something to moan about for a driver being unfairly treated. F1 has always been about money, so will anyother race series. Just that F1 you need millions. My friend Josh Webster nearly got a drive for Jota LMP2 few years ago, but ouldnt get 2 million fee, his backers could only get 1.7 million. But, he went on to race RenualtRS01 car in 24hr series, he also Porsche factory driver.

At least FE has that in common with F1.
    Does it really???

FE costs the manufacturers anywhere from $3 to $5 million USD to make a car.

F1 costs manufacturers close to half a billion to make a car.

Its costs manufacturers a fraction to make an FE car than it does to make an F1 car. So yes, it all about the money as in reducing cost but nowhere near the realm of F1 and what F1 pays it drivers. Some F1 purists look at FE as a sport for has-beens or not F1 caliber material.

anyways....I can't watch FE. I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Does it really???

FE costs the manufacturers anywhere from $3 to $5 million USD to make a car.

F1 costs manufacturers close to half a billion to make a car.

Its costs manufacturers a fraction to make an FE car than it does to make an F1 car. So yes, it all about the money as in reducing cost but nowhere near the realm of F1 and what F1 pays it drivers. Some F1 purists look at FE as a sport for has-beens or not F1 caliber material.

anyways....I can't watch FE. I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.
    Has been drivers? not on F1 caliber? serioulsy?

Right, FE is something completely different. They trying not to be on the same "caliber" as F1. This is another thing with F1, sorry this FE thread and we talking F1 and rights and wrongs. F1 fans, see F1 as the "pinnacle" of motorsport. Anything outside is nothing, boring and not high tech or good racing. F1 drivers best in the world, well thats just F1 fans, are way way way way to snobby, narrow sighted.

Yes, ok FE isnt to everyones taste, but to call the drivers has beens, is just insulting.

Sorry for derailing thread, but the issues you have with "pay drivers" stroll, Todt, Schuey, Brawn and anyone else been harsh to Massa and Rubens is getting old and boring.

You say you Ferrari fan, but the years of Todt and Schuey bought Ferrari so much success, but you still bitter. Get over it. Stop trying to find something to moan about for a driver being unfairly treated. F1 has always been about money, so will anyother race series. Just that F1 you need millions. My friend Josh Webster nearly got a drive for Jota LMP2 few years ago, but ouldnt get 2 million fee, his backers could only get 1.7 million. But, he went on to race RenualtRS01 car in 24hr series, he also Porsche factory driver.
    Rob, you more than anyone need to forget and stop moaning about the past posts. Get over it. Bringing up Todt , Rubens, Ross on a FE thread is your doing , not anyone else. I only mentioned FE with regards to also being about money as is F1 and you told me to give it a rest. Two cars per driver, the batteries must cost a fortune. Especially getting street tracks ready for a racing event. Then there's the drivers pay. I'm going to take a chance and bring up Felipe's name only in the hopes of him joining FE. I wonder if a driver has a crash, can he jump into his 2nd car?

. I wonder if a driver has a crash, can he jump into his 2nd car?
    Yes he can Brembo but if it's early on in the race his battery will run out before the end so he's compromised.
    On the other hand if it should happen round about the middle of the race then no problem!!!!

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I have tried and its way more boring than F1's hybrid era formula. Has'nt grown on me.
    Oh dear you are going to be in a pickle in a few years time when we all go all electric.
    Formula 1 (which I love) unless it moves with the age we are in will join the dodos. It really needs some serious updating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As for the drivers do you really think drivers such as Sam Bird, Sebastian Buemi, Luca DeGrassi and others are has beens??????????????????????
    Are you really aware of the calibre of the drivers in FE or should I say eprix which is the more current name for it.
    The big boys ie the manufacturers such as Mercedes and Porsche are very interested in getting in with the act alongside Audi, Jaguar, Renault etc.
    David Coulthard, Felipe Massa and Nico Rosburg were interested enough to go and watch a race. If they can enjoy it there must be something well worth watching

Forza Jules

He said later in season.

Listened to Midweekmotorsport (RadioLeMans.com) Wednesday night they had a good bit about FE, mainly because of the Montreal race being dropped. But, they mentioned the reason FE do not go to proper race tracks, is because they also want to be different, but the downside is, race promotors got pay massive fees to turn city streets into rae track and have the facilities. The Candian firm that was backing the FE race, pulled out because the ticket sales was under half that was said would be sold. Half of those were given away free, and the TV numbers were no near what they were told would be aswell.
    Thank you Rob for all of that info. I have located RadioLeMans and must listen to it. I can understand the ticket sales being low in some places mainly because they need to promote FE a lot more. People I know who watch F1 barely know or have heard anything about FE.

Forza Jules