Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula E Thread

Formula E returns to Zurich this Sunday.
    Clearly a day for the armchair! FE 16.30-18.15 I believe
    Then 18.10 the pit lane opens for the Canadian grand prix.

Forza Jules

Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
    honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    Hi guys, just had a peek at the Formula E race in Zurich... and sadly, after about 5 or 6 laps, I had to turn it off...
    honestly, the sound... is EXACTLY the same sound that my washing machine makes on spin cycle... definitively NOT the way I wish to view motorsport.
    I watched it too and have enjoyed the racing but like you, the sound is a real turn-off, it's like my Scalextric set from the 60s!

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    turned off after few laps? give it time and watch the racing.

Yes, it hasnt got the "sound" of the engines we ALL have grown up with and got to know. But hey, hold on, whats the series called? Formula E, electric racing. Not going be loud, FE is a completely different concept and marketing racing series. Its not about the sound, its about the racing and most of all which alot of the big manufacturers are looking at it, its the show case for their electric technology.

If you take off your blinkers, and watch FE for it its is marketed for, think you will like it. Its only because its seen as "not cool" to watch or get interested in. FE isnt wanting to be the next "F1" its a whole different marketing platform and race platform.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed. Aside from an eye-catching drive from Di Grassi, I didn't like much else - the sound is awful, cars are hideous, the race track was a joke and the whole changing cars half way through is a farce. Clearly they are looking for a way to market the tech, but as a motorsport viewer, I found it very artificial and difficult to muster any enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    I watched Formula E for the first time in a while today (mainly to work off the tension before today's real main event) and was left disappointed..
    I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series.
    I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
    I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ????
    Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.
    I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December.
    Patience is key.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    I don't think any of us thought much of FE the first time we saw it! Certainly back in year 1 it was extremely amateurish. I have watched it from the beginning mainly because I like some of the ex F1 drivers who now drive for the series.
    I admit the buzzing sound grates a bit at first but then you get used to it as the driving takes over. I like the car change half way through after all its just a pit stop which they do very efficiently. The 2nd generation cars from season 5 onwards have batteries which will last the race so no car change!
    I started watching because electric power is the future and how long do you think it will be until F1 has to update or maybe become Formula E ????
    Why I wonder do all the manufacturers want to join........we already have Jaguar, Audi, Renault, Citroen. Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan are joining next year. I think it is very short-sighted of the Fiat group not to get in on the act. They will need an electric road car to compete with the others.
    I would say give it a chance and maybe tune in to season 5 which begins in December.
    Patience is key.
    It was my fifth FE race. As for Fiat, if they don't want to go racing, then they shouldn't. I feel Formula E is currently too much of a marketing bonanza and needs better technical competition and also needs to be a far better spectacle. I don't want to hear about how electric is going to be the future every time I change the channel. I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    I'd much rather watch the BTCC than FE as my third regular motorsport commitment.
    Horses for courses then.

Forza Jules

JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
    Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
    Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.
    Hope Felipe can do similar next year.

Forza Jules

JEV wins the fourth FE championship in spite of penalty which wiped out his potential pole.
    Very happy for him. Poor Sam one of them had to come 2nd.
    Wiry old fox drove a very strategic race from the back of the grid........it's all that info he gained when he was our 3rd driver.
    Hope Felipe can do similar next year.
    Couldn't have put it better myself, racingbradley! Both JEV and Sam have Ferrari connections so we got 1st and 2nd really, but gutting for Sam all the same. Good racing in NYC too, I still hate the Scalextric sound but it's good to see different drivers in with a chance of good placings, as long as the Audis don't wipe the floor with everyone else like they did in WEC.

What a race that was to-day. A stunning gutsy race by JEV.
    It had everything competitive wheel to wheel racing, crashes, VSA, even intervention by FIA.
    Hmm Bottas can get away with a jump start but not Andre Lotterer!

Forza Jules

The world’s first all-electric racing car series finished its fourth season in New York over the weekend, and while Formula 1 is asking itself questions about identity and relevance, Formula E knows exactly where it’s going.

Next season FE has a new car and race format, with the car swaps – which always highlighted the deficiency of ‘range anxiety’ – gone as battery technology improves. I spoke with a CEO of a major manufacturer recently, and he made it abundantly clear where the road car market is going in the next decade: the focus is on hybrids right now, but full electric is the destination we’re all heading to.

Crucially, Formula E is perfectly placed to take full advantage. BMW and Nissan join for season five; then it’s Porsche and Mercedes entering a year later, along with the already-present Audi, DS (Citroen), Jaguar, Mahindra, NIO, Penske and Venturi.

If that glittering line-up of automotive giants doesn’t prompt F1 to truly nail its sense of self over future regulations, I don’t know what will.

Motorsport.com Insider [info@motorsport.com]

Forza Jules

A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    A few more FIA new regulations with regards to every move in F1, who knows , they may demand an electric engine!! I just had to say that!!
    Hmm Brembo you could eat your words in a few years.
    It could and probably will come to pass.

Forza Jules

Vergne seems well at home @ Techeetah! a championship !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Vergne seems well at home @ Techeetah! a championship !!!
    Brembo, are you currying favour with racingbradley in suggesting that Jean-Eric is heading for his 2nd FE championship aboard the Techeetah machine? I was rather hoping you'd be in my camp supporting a certain Felipe and Venturi, can't expect miracles from a rookie but I'm ready to fan-boost him at every opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Brembo, are you currying favour with racingbradley in suggesting that Jean-Eric is heading for his 2nd FE championship aboard the Techeetah machine? I was rather hoping you'd be in my camp supporting a certain Felipe and Venturi, can't expect miracles from a rookie but I'm ready to fan-boost him at every opportunity!
    O Wisepie you are stirring the pot
    It's no secret that I'm a big JEV fan always have been even when he was at Toro and I was happy he had the opportunity to wear red for a few years even though it was only as a reserve driver.
    BUT I am a massive Felipe fan and will be giving him fanboost. Now if the two of them were racing for a win then my ultimate loyalties would be put to the test.
    I hope to support both...………………. after all I have 6 favourites in F1 but Charles will be the no 1 next season

Want to give your favourite driver an edge? Vote for them below and if they end up in the top five on our FANBOOST Leaderboard, they'll get an extra boost of power they can use during the race.
    https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

Forza Jules

O Wisepie you are stirring the pot
    It's no secret that I'm a big JEV fan always have been even when he was at Toro and I was happy he had the opportunity to wear red for a few years even though it was only as a reserve driver.
    BUT I am a massive Felipe fan and will be giving him fanboost. Now if the two of them were racing for a win then my ultimate loyalties would be put to the test.
    I hope to support both...………………. after all I have 6 favourites in F1 but Charles will be the no 1 next season

Want to give your favourite driver an edge? Vote for them below and if they end up in the top five on our FANBOOST Leaderboard, they'll get an extra boost of power they can use during the race.
    https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/
    No I am not stirring the pot, you know me so well and my loyalties for some reason appear to be to a small Brazilian. I am unanimous in that!!

ATTACK MODE variables to be decided 60 minutes before race

be rooting for my good friend Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thank you for the TV viewing timetable and info Rob.
    Good luck to Sam, Felipe & JEV
    I feel the Audi and BMW will be very strong but at least FE is close so it's less conclusive.

Forza Jules

I am of course rooting for Felipe, Rob, but I do support Sam and anyone else connected in some way with Ferrari including racingbradley's pin-up JEV! I'm just having trouble working out how I can watch it live, being such a technophobe I am not permanently attached to a smartphone or laptop and I pay enough for Sky to get F1 that I don't want to pay again for FE live too. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I am of course rooting for Felipe, Rob, but I do support Sam and anyone else connected in some way with Ferrari including racingbradley's pin-up JEV! I'm just having trouble working out how I can watch it live, being such a technophobe I am not permanently attached to a smartphone or laptop and I pay enough for Sky to get F1 that I don't want to pay again for FE live too. Help!
    BBC red button or if you have eurosport watch it on there. Eurosport is free on SKY.

BBC red button or if you have eurosport watch it on there. Eurosport is free on SKY.
    Grazie Rob, I do have Sky but don't get Eurosport as it's just the HD package plus F1, that's costly enough but a lot cheaper than total access to Sky Sports, which I wouldn't use. So it looks like my only option will be the red button, here's hoping it will work!

track looks like a building site.

Well that was quite an exciting race packed with action and overtakes.
    Don't want to spoil the results for anyone so will only say drive throughs were in evidence Poor Felipe being one of the victims but he drove well and showed he still knows how to overtake.

Forza Jules

Well that was quite an exciting race packed with action and overtakes.
    Don't want to spoil the results for anyone so will only say drive throughs were in evidence Poor Felipe being one of the victims but he drove well and showed he still knows how to overtake.
    Well said racingbradley, it was all a bit confusing with penalties and the practice and quali being messed up due to rain, even the race commentators were getting confused with the new attack modes and drive-throughs. Close racing for sure but the circuit looked dreary and even Felipe doesn't know why he got a drive-through, he did some great passes all for nothing, as for Sam, not a good day at the office but JEV was on fire, just not quite enough to take the win. It's good to have FE in the off-season but there's work to do on the presentation, IMO, but then I'm an old codger who likes to hear proper forms of motive power!! The formula seems geared to those who live on social media and love anything technical, the new generation who I think will never have the passion that us oldies have nursed for so long!! Unless Ferrari enter the game, of course!

In a recent interview Vettle said F-E is not the future. Anyone who identifies with motor racing does not think much of F-E. It's not exciting. He has no interest in F-E.