Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293041 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    I just want to add something. Everyone is talking about reliability. We have 3 engines, which is about 7 races per engine. Maybe its better to sacrifice one race, get 1 engine, which will reduce about 2 races per engine, this can be a much more powerful engine, which will give us a better chance to win.
    Even the race we sacrifice, we can do it in a place where its easy to overtake. Look at last year, when Hamilton just finished on the podium in Brazil after starting in the pitlane! If we have a powerful engine, then we can really take the fight to mercedes. Engine can last 5, not 7, then take 1 more engine! Sacrifice 1 race. I would do this in our situation at Ferrari.
    Quote Originally Posted by rakman View Post
    Exactly, I thought about it too, I wonder if Ferrari took such a possibility into consideration, it could turn out to be our ace from the sleeve...
    Depends...let's look at the situation and the reason why Mercedes did what it did. 1.) Pts. --> Mercedes were ahead in the pts and had a good cushion @ Interlagos. 2.) Brazil GP --> second to the last race then it's off to Abu Dhabi...again, tactfully planned given the pts. and towards the end of the season with 2 races to end the season. 3.) Get ahead in further PU developement for the upcoming 2018 season.

IF the pts. spread between Ferrari and Mercedes were close in 2017, then Mercedes would NOT have done what they did @ Interlagos AND would have benched thier 2018 PU developement for a later date.

2018--> IF Ferrari builds a good cushion towards the end of the season with 2 races to go, THEN and only then I see this scenario playing out to further develop the PU for 2019 and anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Depends...let's look at the situation and the reason why Mercedes did what it did. 1.) Pts. --> Mercedes were ahead in the pts and had a good cushion @ Interlagos. 2.) Brazil GP --> second to the last race then it's off to Abu Dhabi...again, tactfully planned given the pts. and towards the end of the season with 2 races to end the season. 3.) Get ahead in further PU developement for the upcoming 2018 season.

IF the pts. spread between Ferrari and Mercedes were close in 2017, then Mercedes would NOT have done what they did @ Interlagos AND would have benched thier 2018 PU developement for a later date.

2018--> IF Ferrari builds a good cushion towards the end of the season with 2 races to go, THEN and only then I see this scenario playing out to further develop the PU for 2019 and anything else.
    They didnt want to or they didnt have to, because they had such a big advantage.
    Compared to Mercedes, we are weak in the engine side. Every season, you have few races where you dont score so many points. So, if we have a powerful engine than mercedes, maybe we can finish ahead of them more often and have a points gap too. It can also push mercedes to a point where they will take more risks, make mistakes. we cant just say, no. This type of outside thinking we should try, to win.

They didnt want to or they didnt have to, because they had such a big advantage.
    Compared to Mercedes, we are weak in the engine side. Every season, you have few races where you dont score so many points. So, if we have a powerful engine than mercedes, maybe we can finish ahead of them more often and have a points gap too. It can also push mercedes to a point where they will take more risks, make mistakes. we cant just say, no. This type of outside thinking we should try, to win.
    On that, we are both in agreement.....optimistically.......Let's hope Redbull can "muck-it-up" for Mercedes as well.

speaking of Redbull, does anyone have any info on them? I mean we can assume they will be competitive enough to win some races?

On that, we are both in agreement.....optimistically.......Let's hope Redbull can "muck-it-up" for Mercedes as well.
    As I keep saying, it may not be just Mercedes and Red Bull giving us major competition, as we've seen in the past there are a number of teams like Renault and Mclaren who could well cause us more trouble if we don't start off in winning mode. Don't want to be pessimistic but I don't want to make any assumptions.
    Last edited by wisepie; 18th February 2018 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    speaking of Redbull, does anyone have any info on them? I mean we can assume they will be competitive enough to win some races?
    nothing. Just waiting for the launch. Let's see if they do a "copy-and-paste" like the Williams FW41.

more trucks arriving at Catalunya....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWQhvl9W0AA9_p-.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWQhvpOW0AAa2aD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWQhvsbXcAEZwVZ.jpg

AND most importantly, they did it after the crash in fp.
    Its not like they've planned it before!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    AND most importantly, they did it after the crash in fp.
    Its not like they've planned it before!!
    You guys are missing the point, I was not talking about why Mercedes did it, I was just pointing out the fact that you can come back from back of the grid to finish on the podium.
    My second point. Mercedes had an advantage, and they finished out of the podium a few times. This type of things happen. Why not use one of these "instances" to get a new engine in, instead of starting 12 or 15th, you start in the back. These days with this DRS (REALLY STUPID, Senna must be turning in his grave) gimmick, its so easy to come back from the back of the field if you have a track with a long straight.
    Especially, if your engine is doing less miles, you can get the power up, lighter parts. If we can get the power up, to the level of Mercedes, we can beat them. If we beat them on regularly, then we have a very good chance of winning the title.
    I feel, we are in a place where we can be less reliable (ie, 5 races, instead of 7) and fast, and still score more points than if we are ultra reliable and slow.
    Its not like we are going from 8 engines to 7, which is about 2.5 gps per engine (8 engines) to 3gps per engine (7 engines), as it is not a huge difference in milage.
    We are going from 4 to 3, and this is a difference of about 2 gps, a huge amount of milage per engine. If we reduce this milage, we can increase the power.
    You sacrifice 1 race, where at worst you can finish 5 or 6th, to get a huge power up for the rest of the season.
    The performance gain by running 4 engines, instead of 3 is too big to ignore. If I was Ferrari, I would do it, I would even consider 5th engine. If you plan it out, but it has to be powerful.
    Another thing, you can always make a fast car reliable, but its so difficult to make a reliable car fast.

You guys are missing the point, I was not talking about why Mercedes did it, I was just pointing out the fact that you can come back from back of the grid to finish on the podium.
    My second point. Mercedes had an advantage, and they finished out of the podium a few times. This type of things happen. Why not use one of these "instances" to get a new engine in, instead of starting 12 or 15th, you start in the back. These days with this DRS (REALLY STUPID, Senna must be turning in his grave) gimmick, its so easy to come back from the back of the field if you have a track with a long straight.
    Especially, if your engine is doing less miles, you can get the power up, lighter parts. If we can get the power up, to the level of Mercedes, we can beat them. If we beat them on regularly, then we have a very good chance of winning the title.
    I feel, we are in a place where we can be less reliable (ie, 5 races, instead of 7) and fast, and still score more points than if we are ultra reliable and slow.
    Its not like we are going from 8 engines to 7, which is about 2.5 gps per engine (8 engines) to 3gps per engine (7 engines), as it is not a huge difference in milage.
    We are going from 4 to 3, and this is a difference of about 2 gps, a huge amount of milage per engine. If we reduce this milage, we can increase the power.
    You sacrifice 1 race, where at worst you can finish 5 or 6th, to get a huge power up for the rest of the season.
    The performance gain by running 4 engines, instead of 3 is too big to ignore. If I was Ferrari, I would do it, I would even consider 5th engine. If you plan it out, but it has to be powerful.
    Another thing, you can always make a fast car reliable, but its so difficult to make a reliable car fast.
    Well, although it looks like a good tactic to me too,probably its not that simple otherwise all teams would do it. And even more now with us that its almost certain from the rumours from last summer already that we had a very powerful pu for 2018 but with pure reliability. So we can have the power if we want.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

i totally have to agree with this...oh and don't we have to remember 2014??? i'd rather NOT remember that year...reliable but not fast at all....so i totally have to agree 100% with you
    Last edited by FerrariF60; 18th February 2018 at 00:19.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I think you are a bit naive if you think a team such as Ferrari, with their amount of budget and expectation would deliberately start with an engine which is not reliable... I think you don't understand how this business works, you cannot sabotage you're own campaign by relying on speculative thinking - this is not how one wins championships.... The engine has a technological framework in which it was build and in that framework it must evolve & improve.

It's the same with all area of engineering... Ferrari will take penalties and unlock stronger developments during the year if the benefits outweigh the risks but at the start you must have a solid base on which too grown.

All sounds positive but you need to come out of the box amasing points otherwise you will be playing high risk f1 and it usually goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    I think you are a bit naive if you think a team such as Ferrari, with their amount of budget and expectation would deliberately start with an engine which is not reliable... I think you don't understand how this business works, you cannot sabotage you're own campaign by relying on speculative thinking - this is not how one wins championships.... The engine has a technological framework in which it was build and in that framework it must evolve & improve.

It's the same with all area of engineering... Ferrari will take penalties and unlock stronger developments during the year if the benefits outweigh the risks but at the start you must have a solid base on which too grown.
    I am talking from an engineering standpoint. I am not saying you get an engine that cannot run even a single grand prix. I am saying, instead of building an engine that can run 7gps, you increase the power so it can consistently last 5. There is a factor of safety in engineering, the more reliable you want the part to be, the higher the factor of safety, it increases the margins. This is not a speculative thinking, this is calculated risk. How do you think F1 strategy guys pick when to pit and what tiers to be on and even account for the safety cars?? Is it speculative thinking?? I dont think so. They are very calculated and very well thought out. I am saying the same thing, calculated risk, its a risk to reward. You build a car as fast as possible, as much of risk as you can take.
    The risk is worth taking.
    Lets say, doing 5 races per engines, you can get 50 more hp out of an engine than doing 7 races per engine. You start the season, with 50 more Hp, and you know, this is good for 5 races. Then, if you do not have a bad race, you get another engine, and keep going, and once, you have a bad qualifying, or a race circuit where there are long straights, where there is a good chance you can use the power and the stupid DRS to get past people. Remember, in these hybrid era, the faster your car is, the less fuel it uses, because, you can recover more energy from the braking points if you arrive there at a faster speed, plus, you spend less time at full throttle.

darker red,..... no more white color on the new car and with a little gray...

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ianco-1006196/

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    darker red,..... no more white color on the new car and with a little gray...

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ianco-1006196/
    Just couple of days more, and we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Just couple of days more, and we shall see
    by a couple u mean FOUR days right???? but then again Stefa who's counting????? ha, ha
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

2 more days dont they bring it out tuesday along with merc

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    2 more days dont they bring it out tuesday along with merc
    well going by this tweet it states 22/2/2018

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari

Livery looks pretty good, wiglets on top of side pods look good too
    Last edited by Rishu; 19th February 2018 at 08:39.

Looks longer than before? Copied and improved on some Ferrari concepts which makes me quite happy, if Newey likes Cardile and Sanchez's ideas, it bodes well for more interesting stuff from our guys. Unless the Renault doesn't need much cooling this car looks like it may suffer cooling issues. The front wing is incredibly neat. Can't wait to see what we've produced this time!

Its a mix of Merc and Ferrari. Much like the other 2018 cars we have seen so far.

In a way I'm very happy to see people copying Ferrari again... they are innovating again!

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Its a mix of Merc and Ferrari. Much like the other 2018 cars we have seen so far.

In a way I'm very happy to see people copying Ferrari again... they are innovating again!
    It's not at all mix of those 2. Sidepods with Ferrari only have that they moved them back, nothing else. They evolved their own car and it looks nice

Scarbs: As I said, a low side impact spar position mated with a very different inlet and undercut shape. VERY narrow sidepods.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWY4XhjXkAASBmb.jpg

another SF70-H copy.

Winglets on the sidepods are W09 copy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWY0iHWWsAA_BCr.jpg

I thought that they made ours illegal last year ??????!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I thought that they made ours illegal last year ??????!!!!!!
    they did. The "flap" was moving up and down due to the aero flow and posed a "safety-risk" so the team "welded" it shut(silver piece) but still retained the shape. Since then, Ferrari "covered it up" to make it more aesthitically appealing.

Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 19th February 2018 at 11:27.

I still think the halo looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by scudieros View Post
    Shame it's only a testing livery it looks really good