Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343546 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Maybe we should do the same with Sauber?

They can be our sacrifical lamb, run the sauber engine faster and harder to see how far we can push it and use the findings to improve the next spec engines.

This would obviously cost them grid penalties but i'm sure Ferrari will be helping them out financially.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post

They can be our sacrifical lamb, run the sauber engine faster and harder to see how far we can push it and use the findings to improve the next spec engines.

This would obviously cost them grid penalties but i'm sure Ferrari will be helping them out financially.
    Good Idea. I like how you think!!! Forward thinking...2019. I'm in and I would'nt blame Ferrari for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Good Idea. I like how you think!!! Forward thinking...2019. I'm in and I would'nt blame Ferrari for doing it.
    Let's be honest, Sauber will not fight for any titles anytime soon. We can use them to fast track our engine developement. No Merc powered team will do it for Mercedes, FI and Williams eyeing 4th so can't drop the points.

FIA closes engineering loopholes

Trickers have no more chances

The FIA ​​tried to close the biggest loopholes in the regulations before the start of the season with a series of tightening rules and technical directives. We'll explain what it's all about and whether the tricksters are tricked with it.

The FIA ​​regulars have a thankless job. They try to write bulletproof rules, but they have thousands of engineers on the team who only think about where there are loopholes in the Technical Regulations or Sports Law.

Just a small example. Since 2014, the FIA ​​has been trying to prevent exhaust fumes from being used for aerodynamics with the exhaust position and regulations for engine maps. McLaren has still found a way last year, how to blow the Monkey Seat so that it generates a few points downforce. Among great sacrifices. The necessary measures on the Honda engine were one of the reasons for the many defects.

It is an unequal fight. The teams always win. And then the FIA ​​has to readjust. Just as she did before the beginning of this season. Either by adjustments in the regulations or new technical directives. We have selected five cases and explain the background. Why did it even happen? And how should the tricks be stopped?

The case of oil burning for more power

It was an ongoing theme last year. Mercedes and Ferrari accused each other of increasing performance by adding oil additives to the fuel or reusing the gases produced in the crankcase. Renault mobilized against both competitors. As a result, the FIA ​​already lowered the oil consumption limit from 1.2 to 0.9 liters per 100 kilometers in the course of the past season. Both Mercedes and Ferrari claimed that this was normal oil consumption.

After the FIA ​​began to measure the consumption of the lubricant more precisely, doubts arose in Paris as to whether things were right with the championship opponents of 2017. Mercedes and Ferrari have burned in the races from the GP Italy constantly 0.89 liters per 100 kilometers. Although this was within the allowed, but Renault and Honda only came to consumption levels of 0.1 liters for 100 kilometers. Then one wondered how it could come to such a drastic difference. So it was quite possible to lower the limit even further. This has now been reduced to 0.6 liters.

Although Red Bull is worried that the competition will continue to trick, but the FIA ​​inspectors calm down: "Our oil level sensors work reliably." There is a standard sensor for all. This rules out manipulations. The only restriction is that the measurement method delivers accurate results for a race distance. If, as in qualifying, only short distances are used, the accuracy of the measurement is important. You have to be able to determine the consumption in two places after the decimal point.

Anyone who wants to press oil into the combustion chambers from below through a controlled "blow-by" to add performance-enhancing additives to gasoline, has no chance this year. The FIA ​​now specifies oil as well as gasoline. On four pages it is written which ingredients in which composition may be present in the lubricant. Of these, a chemical fingerprint is used in homologation, as with gasoline, and used as a benchmark when needed. If it differs from the template, the red card is shown.

The case of engine equality

In its latest technical directive, the FIA ​​has asked engine manufacturers not only to provide their customer teams with the same mechanical drive units, but also to supply them with the same software and specification for oil and gasoline. Race director Charlie Whiting confirms: "There have been complaints from customer teams." The Englishman did not want to go into detail. It is believed that this was Toro Rosso, who last year felt deceived by Renault in the battle for sixth place in the constructors' championship.

Force India Chief Technology Officer Andy Green is certain: "While we can not look into the software, I am sure that we have always been treated fairly by Mercedes." However, the Mercedes factory team did not always crank up in Q3, while Williams and Force India saw little increase if they had made it so far?

Green replies to the conspiracy theorists: "We've always cranked up performance in Q1 and Q2 because we wanted to make sure we got into Q3 at all. That's why we did not notice any increase in the last knockout round. "

The point with the same specifications for oil and gasoline is not consistently enforce, explain us FIA experts. It may be that the manufacturer X has agreed with the customer Y in his customer contract for cost reasons, the use of different stages of development of oil and gasoline.

Development in this area is going down a long way. Renault claims its clientele for individual fuel and oil development allegedly five million euros. The association can not intervene in said contracts. "We can only demand that the manufacturer can no longer refuse a customer if he demands the same treatment in this area."

The case front axle

Ferrari started it. Red Bull, Renault and McLaren have mimicked it. The geometry of the front axle was designed so that the car has lowered when steering in accordance with the front steering angle. With the goal that the front wing lies in cornering closer to the road and donates more downforce. Since this clearly has an impact on aerodynamics, the FIA ​​put a stop to this technique. At 12 degrees steering angle, the car may not sink forward more than five millimeters. This is measured on a purpose-modified platform.

Technology experts believe that ground clearance on the racetrack changes more than it does on the measurement platform, if you just do it skillfully. They point to the geometry of the front suspension of the new McLaren MCL33, which substantiates this suspicion with its extreme placement of the Pushrods. Charlie Whiting calms the black painters: "If we can see from the data that the steering angle in reality exceeds 12 degrees, then we modify our test."

The case exhaust

After word got around last year that some teams had started using the exhaust gases for aerodynamics again, the FIA ​​modified the regulations around the exhaust tailpipe. Now in the target area of ​​the exhaust gases in an area within 10 centimeters around the center line of the car and at a height between 40 and 55 centimeters, there must be no trim parts that protrude more than 20 centimeters behind the rear axle. That does not make "Monkey-Seats" impossible, but relatively meaningless. The exhaust gases now blow outside.

Not quite. Renault mounted the tailpipe on the new RS18 at the maximum permitted height of 55 centimeters above the reference plane and angled it up by five degrees. The exhaust gases thus aim under the main blade of the rear wing. It is specially coated on the underside so that the carbon structure does not melt. The trick is to bring up to two points downforce while accelerating.

The case wheel nut

Despite larger wheels last year, some teams have set the pit-stop records from the past. This was possible thanks to specially designed wheel nuts, which could be pulled over the restraint system quickly with appropriate force. Those who were negligent paid like McLaren and Renault with inconsistent and poor pit stops.

That's why both teams have changed the design of their wheel nuts and safety systems over the winter. Because cars were still being sent on the journey in 2017 with wheels that were not properly lashed, the FIA ​​put the thumbscrews on the teams.

In point 14.7. of the Technical Regulations, the rules for wheel securing were tightened. Each axle has two successive staggered retention mechanisms. Once the wheel and integrated wheel nut are plugged in, you have to apply a force of at least 15 kiloNewton to lower it again without turning the wheel nut onto the thread.

If it is already partially attached to the thread, the wheel nut must release a torque of 250 Newton meters before releasing it before pushing down the second row of safety pins. This is a wheel loss actually impossible. McLaren did it anyway. Fernando Alonso lost the right rear wheel on the first test day in Barcelona. The FIA ​​promptly requested a report from McLaren Chief Technology Officer Tim Goss on how this could happen. It had not been submitted until Wednesday evening.

https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post

Pretty sure we have done this for a long time. Not just engines.
    Forza Ferrari

Speculations for Force India takeover are more heated despite the management of the team denouncing it.

British energy drinks company Rich Energy could be announced as the new owners of the Force India F1 team as early as this week.

“F1 is the perfect platform for the brand, motorsport is all about a fast, glamorous lifestyle. It works for Red Bull,” said founder and chief executive William Storey.
    http://www.planetf1.com/news/rich-en...n-force-india/

Max 'wants the title as soon as possible' :

https://www.thisisf1.com/2018/02/09/...weaker-engine/

new hole in the car's nose !

Newey steps down as technical director at RBR according to this site http://soymotor.com/soymotor/noticia...form=hootsuite

Quote Originally Posted by number 13 View Post
    Newey steps down as technical director at RBR according to this site http://soymotor.com/soymotor/noticia...form=hootsuite
    He was seen with Vettel this week.

I can't read the article, but it is one of those things were he goes into a different role within the team?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by number 13 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deephouse View Post
    He was seen with Vettel this week.
    He turned down Ferrari 3x. He won't work for the Scuderia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I can't read the article, but it is one of those things were he goes into a different role within the team?
    nope

Red Bull creates new technical director role for its F1 team

Pierre Wache has been promoted to the newly created role of technical director of Red Bull in a move the team calls "part of the evolution" of its structure. Wache, who joined Red Bull in 2013, previously held the title of chief engineer, performance. Adrian Newey remains chief technical officer of the team, ...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-director-role

Honda and Renault are possibly going to sacrifice reliability for performance and start at the back of the grid mid season possibly.

Toro Rosso expecting to discuss deliberate #F1 engine penalties with Honda:

Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost thinks it inevitable that Honda will discuss tactical engine change penalties during the 2018 Formula 1 season.

F1 teams are bracing themselves for a tough time in managing engine life in 2018, with new rules limiting them to just three power units (and two MGU-Ks, energy stores and control electronics) for the 21-grand-prix season.

Though all four manufacturers have worked hard to prepare for the new allocations, Tost believes the power drop-off that comes as an engine reaches the end of its life means there could be benefits to taking a fresh unit and incurring a penalty.

He expects to discuss with Honda whether the punishment of dropping down the grid order would be negated by having more horsepower available.

"There will come the period where we have to find out if is it better to start with a new power unit from the back instead of using an engine that will have 3000-4000 kilometres on it, and you start losing power after one or two hundred kilometres," he told Autosport.

"So we will see. But I can tell you now that we will have this discussion. I don't know when, but we will have it."

Tost thinks it is "crazy" that F1 has stuck with the three-engine limit, after attempts to Red Bull to get the rule changed met resistance.

"Last year manufacturers tried with four engines and less races, and this year we have more races and less engines," he said.

"I must only say they are totally crazy with this regulation.

"But Ferrari was against it [changing the rules], because others wanted to go with four.

"They [Ferrari] think they have an advantage with three. And it is within the regulations so we have to live with it.

"We have to accept it and how many power units at the end we will need I don't know."

Tost's comments about the Honda situation come after Renault admitted that it too was considering the possibility of tactical engine changes this year.

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "We want to establish the baseline, we want to know a bit more about ourselves, the performance of the engine as it is right now.

"If it's better for everyone to use four power units or four V6s, rather than three, we may take that decision. But it's really too early to talk about that."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...onda-penalties

Bad news from Turrini:

"Here's what they understood in Maranello, at the Scuderia level, after the Barcelona tests.

They expected something more and better from the SF71H.

Mattia Binotto, the technical director, was expecting it. Maurizio Arrivabene, the leader of the band was waiting for him. Seb Vettel expected it. Kimi Raikkonen was waiting for him.

On the race pace, the car for now is not at the level of the Mercedes.

If he plays it with Red Bull instead.

After that, we arrive at the government of non-distrust.

First, they were tests. Test in particular conditions for a little weather cause.

Secondly, switchando from the short wheelbase to the long wheelbase Ferrari has bet a lot on developments in progress. See, in this regard, the Mercedes evolution of twelve months ago.

Third, it would be absurd to consider the game closed. Surely the sensations were not those of 2017 and this must be said and indeed it has been said by observers who have no prejudices.

Fourth, the tire business is not clear, perhaps for anyone.

Fifth, Melbourne will be the inaugural chapter, on a particular track.

Here, what is told above is the feeling in Maranello.

You may like it or not, but as I have already written the facts are stubborn.

Finally, my opinion.

Non-distrust is indispensable.

It means that it is hard, maybe not impossible, but it is hard.

I reject the anticipated processes (and to whom, then?) And I grant more than a credit opening to those who in 2017 won 5 GP and fought for the title almost to the end.

Good luck to my friends in the racing department.

They need it."

If true... RIP 2018 season :\

Same things said last year.....yawn
    Forza Ferrari

I'm not reading his so called, i've heard from, I spoke to... messages again.

Every year he just guessing and wants to boost his likes i guess .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    Bad news from Turrini:

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    Bad news from Turrini:

"Here's what they understood in Maranello, at the Scuderia level, after the Barcelona tests.

They expected something more and better from the SF71H.

Mattia Binotto, the technical director, was expecting it. Maurizio Arrivabene, the leader of the band was waiting for him. Seb Vettel expected it. Kimi Raikkonen was waiting for him.

On the race pace, the car for now is not at the level of the Mercedes.

If he plays it with Red Bull instead.

After that, we arrive at the government of non-distrust.

First, they were tests. Test in particular conditions for a little weather cause.

Secondly, switchando from the short wheelbase to the long wheelbase Ferrari has bet a lot on developments in progress. See, in this regard, the Mercedes evolution of twelve months ago.

Third, it would be absurd to consider the game closed. Surely the sensations were not those of 2017 and this must be said and indeed it has been said by observers who have no prejudices.

Fourth, the tire business is not clear, perhaps for anyone.

Fifth, Melbourne will be the inaugural chapter, on a particular track.

Here, what is told above is the feeling in Maranello.

You may like it or not, but as I have already written the facts are stubborn.

Finally, my opinion.

Non-distrust is indispensable.

It means that it is hard, maybe not impossible, but it is hard.

I reject the anticipated processes (and to whom, then?) And I grant more than a credit opening to those who in 2017 won 5 GP and fought for the title almost to the end.

Good luck to my friends in the racing department.

They need it."

If true... RIP 2018 season :\
    R.I.P SF71H indeed if this guy is honest, hopefully they can fix it up and add some pieces that RB and Merc have to catch up again within the season and don't fall even worse than they usually do during in season developments. They took two steps back apparently from last year but Im sure they will rectify this as soon as possible, might as well work on the 2019 car or use this year to try different approaches to things that could benefit next year
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    ..if this guy is honest...
    I doubt his honestly has anything to do with it, it is his accuracy that counts. And for sure he has no idea of what the team really knows.
    R.I.P SF71H indeed....
    Are you really willing to give up that easily? It's just one person's opinion based on scant hard data. There are as many opinions to the contrary based on the same scant data

R.I.P SF71H indeed if this guy is honest, hopefully they can fix it up and add some pieces that RB and Merc have to catch up again within the season and don't fall even worse than they usually do during in season developments. They took two steps back apparently from last year but Im sure they will rectify this as soon as possible, might as well work on the 2019 car or use this year to try different approaches to things that could benefit next year
    I think this post wins the prize for the most negative so far

To put this in perspective.
    Léo turrini knows ges insiders but I suspect they are not on the top of the organisation.
    He said he had good relationship with maurizio arrivabene and sometimes had a dinner with him.
    But each time he reported informations coming from arrivabene we could notice he was not told the truth.
    Winter 2015 and winter 2017 are the best examples.
    Something is contradictory in his post too.
    How can we be on par with Red Bull when all those "gps" data put them on equal footing with Mercedes ?
    In fact nobody knows precisely the pecking order either in quali trim or race trim..

You should stop posting here really.
    Forza Ferrari

Could not agree more move on go bother someone else perfavore.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    You should stop posting here really.
    and what if he is right?

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    and what if he is right?
    Posting garbage about working on 2019 car before a race has been run is just pathetic. It's the reason this forum is such a waste of time these days.
    Forza Ferrari

Posting garbage about working on 2019 car before a race has been run is just pathetic. It's the reason this forum is such a waste of time these days.
    what happened to the 'old regulars' anyway? Ste, Mrs Domenicali, Suzie, etc...

Been saying it for a while the last two seasons the quality has taken a massive nosedive. I dont bother coming here much nowadays. Rather read the f1technical forums at least that is a bit more balanced.

and what if he is right?

And what if he's Wrong ???..........Then the egg sits on his face hey ?

Point is, don't pass judgment or opinion if the car hasn't even raced.........i mean really
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by Super M View Post
    And what if he's Wrong ???..........Then the egg sits on his face hey ?

Point is, don't pass judgment or opinion if the car hasn't even raced.........i mean really
    and all of these journalist are doing the same, let the man speak his mind........whats wrong with you?

and all of these journalist are doing the same, let the man speak his mind........whats wrong with you?

Somewhere you forgot that this is a Ferrari supporters page, Not a bashing and bringing down the very brand name we all support before the fregin season has even started. Whats wrong with you ???
    Drive it like you stole it!