Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmito View Post
    The same article word by word is on f1reddit, how could you say you are trying to keep a low profile?
    Sorry I didn't see the beginning of this story.

Jean todt wow ferrari should have ther veto power stripped regarding rules it suited him when he was with ferrari and now it dosent he feels so powerful in his new role simply a small man who wants to pick on the biggest person diagnosed means small mans syndrome .

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Jean todt wow ferrari should have ther veto power stripped regarding rules it suited him when he was with ferrari and now it dosent he feels so powerful in his new role simply a small man who wants to pick on the biggest person diagnosed means small mans syndrome .

yep. Jean "toad" Todt. It's called the Napoleanic syndrome. Whether he will do it is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    yep. Jean "toad" Todt. It's called the Napoleanic syndrome. Whether he will do it is another matter.
    I read about toads wanting to strip Ferrari of its powers and things and it just annoys me even more, FIA want to take out as much money as possible from the sport, wouldn't that make F1 less exclusive or less illustrious though
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Maybe I ask this question out of ignorance, but why isn't it allowed in the current regulation to have a combination of two different tyre compounds on a F1 car? Why not, for instance, have Ultra Softs at the front, and Super Softs at the rear? I'm sure this would spice things up a bit.

Hard times falling on Force India.... et al HRT, Caterham, Marussia, Manor (yes I know they were very unsuccessful).

German Autobild reports financial trouble for Force India and they have to come up with large amount in next few weeks. They wanted an advance of F1 money but Williams veto'd. Force India currently in "survival-mode".

Hard times falling on Force India.... et al HRT, Caterham, Marussia, Manor (yes I know they were very unsuccessful).

German Autobild reports financial trouble for Force India and they have to come up with large amount in next few weeks. They wanted an advance of F1 money but Williams veto'd. Force India currently in "survival-mode".
    That's not good, they did so well last year and have two good drivers and a dedicated and talented workforce. I wonder if Vijay's tax problems in India have stopped investors/sponsors coming up with the money but I'm not surprised Williams said no to an advance of F1 funds to tide them over. I hope they manage to stay afloat, we don't need any more teams falling by the wayside but it says a lot about the ridiculous costs in F1, and each time the rules are changed, those costs escalate, but that's another story!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That's not good, they did so well last year and have two good drivers and a dedicated and talented workforce. I wonder if Vijay's tax problems in India have stopped investors/sponsors coming up with the money but I'm not surprised Williams said no to an advance of F1 funds to tide them over. I hope they manage to stay afloat, we don't need any more teams falling by the wayside but it says a lot about the ridiculous costs in F1, and each time the rules are changed, those costs escalate, but that's another story!
    Someone needs to buy this team. They have been very consitent on the track, pits and race strategy. Very organized plus like you said two good drivers. Just buy it and keep everybody.

Someone needs to buy this team. They have been very consitent on the track, pits and race strategy. Very organized plus like you said two good drivers. Just buy it and keep everybody.
    Ferrari should buy it and give themselves some leverage for 2021, horner and helmut marko can take a hike if Ferrari buy em lol. They have the lowest budget?
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Be a shame if we lost a well established team, just goes to show even with cost cutting teams down the lower end are finding it tough to survive, yet some still think F1 can sustain unlimited testing, engines and everything else.....
    Forza Ferrari

Teams come and go always been like that always will the only way for small teams to survive nowadays is get a big team to help them like Haas or get pay drivers like Williams this could be a massive blow for Ocons career really surpised williams veto'd that you think they would know how hard it is to survive as a private team i guess they want to be Merc's new feeder team

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Be a shame if we lost a well established team, just goes to show even with cost cutting teams down the lower end are finding it tough to survive, yet some still think F1 can sustain unlimited testing, engines and everything else.....
    Of course teams are finding it hard to survive under the current formula i.e. Williams and Force India. If the engines were simpler and cheaper, as proposed for 2021, along with everything else Williams and Force India would not be in this predicament. 4th place finish for Force India in 2017, 2016 and 5th in 2015....thats alot of constructor money. Plus they have alot of sponsors.....alot. Williams finished 3rd in 2015, 5th in 2016 & 2017. This current formula is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Teams come and go always been like that always will the only way for small teams to survive nowadays is get a big team to help them like Haas or get pay drivers like Williams this could be a massive blow for Ocons career really surpised williams veto'd that you think they would know how hard it is to survive as a private team i guess they want to be Merc's new feeder team
    Williams knows that with one team out, they move up in constructor pts money.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Ferrari should buy it and give themselves some leverage for 2021, horner and helmut marko can take a hike if Ferrari buy em lol. They have the lowest budget?
    I agree. That would be a good idea exactly for the reason you mentioned. On the other hand, F1 will be dead in a few years the way Liberty is handling things so Maranello might as well save the money for a future "breakaway" series. Because at one point that will happen one way or the other. F1 as we know it is basicly already dead, it's on life support now. The end of the road is here soon.

I think mercs & Ferrari will not take a chance on this.... other manufacturers will go for it that too till 2021.

So Liberty to present 2021 plans in Bahrain and then Renault calls for F1 engine freeze in 2019-2020 just today.....chess pieces are making their move.

I think someone will, there's strong chances that will happen before the next season.

So Liberty to present 2021 plans in Bahrain and then Renault calls for F1 engine freeze in 2019-2020 just today.....chess pieces are making their move.
    I can understand where Renault is coming from and it's been done before, so that's not a problem. The problem is that their might not be a new engine to develop past 2020 anyway with the "standardization" threat Liberty has come up with. One fact is that you don't tell americans what to in business related things. They rarely care about anything else than profit, their profit. One other fact is that you NEVER tell Ferrari what to do and that it's going to be like "this and that". Ferrari can survive without F1 but F1 will not survive with or without Ferrari anyway at the current rate.

The bottom line is that a standardized engine is out of the question. Going for even smaller and tighter development (with all the environmental fuzz to go along) like a R4 or R5 engine or even a V4 is also out of the question. Going back to a naturally aspirated V8 is impossible for both FiA and Liberty to go along with as long as the environmental nuts have a say (like Todt), even though that would be the most sensible thing to do. Keeping the current formula past 2020 will always leave Merc a step ahead and I'm convinced Ferrari aren't interested in it for another concorde agreement period.

What's left is the death of F1 and a birth of something new run by someone else than Liberty. Most likely by the manufacturers themselves, ditch the FiA and set up their own governing body. It can be called anything from Formula A to Formula XYZ. As long as the cars are the quickest it won't matter. The only way to get everyone important on board is to start from scratch. Everyone on the grid is welcome, if they can hold up their own end with all factors in mind.

I seriously can't see a future for the brand "Formula 1" past 2020 if it's run by Liberty and the FiA.

I seriously cannot see a future in which environmental concerns are not front and center no matter what the series is called, who runs it, or who runs in it.

This is all depressing stuff and the future of F1 as we know it looks increasingly unsustainable, the FIA, Liberty and the teams all have their own agenda and it's all dictated by money. The fans are just there to be exploited, but despite all that, I hope F1 can find a way to continue beyond 2021 as the pinnacle of our sport, otherwise we're all doomed to an electric future!

Simply put liberty purchased a lemon there will be a rival series with all the big guns going if something does not give sergio does not give a toss about what liberty he is only focused on ferrari and why should he not be he is the chief of the biggest brand name in the world i say liberty who.?

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    I seriously cannot see a future in which environmental concerns are not front and center no matter what the series is called, who runs it, or who runs in it.
    Really? I can easily do that. Baring of course some laws keeping a rival series off the circuits around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Simply put liberty purchased a lemon there will be a rival series with all the big guns going if something does not give sergio does not give a toss about what liberty he is only focused on ferrari and why should he not be he is the chief of the biggest brand name in the world i say liberty who.?
    That sums it up very well. A big lemon. I'm sure Liberty will try for a few years without Ferrari (and/or Mercedes and Renault) and then around, let's say, 2025 they will go belly up. I wonder what will happen to the name and brand "Formula 1" at that point? Many people will scratch their heads wondering how it happened when the answer is very clear "why".

And the winner is Berni eccelstone $$$$$ would not surprise me if it was a plan hatched a long time ago .

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Nothing to do with that.
    It's all about business plan when teams come in F1.
    F1 is not for everyone.
    The mere fact that even with cost reductions there are teams like F1 that go down in flames (or even are in danger to do so) prove that in reality, all the cost reduction of the world will not save you if you don't have a solid business plan.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    Why?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Ferrari isn't always bending at the last minute. Remember the 1963 Ford deal that never happened. Sometimes you just have to say no even though it might, at first, look like you're risking everything. Chase Carey is starting to look a lot like Phil Paradise lately. Let's see the Bahrain proposal first. That's the least anyone can do. My opinion is that it will be a joke. It's basicly going to be open-wheel NASCAR with a "twist", american style.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Why?
    For 2028, in only 10 years, the vast majority of cars sold will be electric; Do you imagine some nuts running around the world in cars propelled by 20th century engines ?
    Which manufacturer would want that ?
    The cities will not accept sound levels of the past. Formula 1 as we used to know and love is evolving, personally I embrace the change, because without change is stagnation and death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    For 2028, in only 10 years, the vast majority of cars sold will be electric; Do you imagine some nuts running around the world in cars propelled by 20th century engines ?
    Which manufacturer would want that ?
    The cities will not accept sound levels of the past. Formula 1 as we used to know and love is evolving, personally I embrace the change, because without change is stagnation and death.

Actually, this nut would still buy a car with a V12 hybrid like the LaFerrari. Ferrari will still make those engines for a while, if they build, people will buy, it will be a niche market. Vast majority of normal day to day cars will be electric at that time. There still will be sports cars, electric or hybrid.
    One thing is, F1 is dying, and Liberty is accelerating it with their profit centered mentality. They are talking away the "magic" or the special feeling in F1. If they make it a standard like Nascar (which is crap) then, thats the final nail in the coffin for F1. F1 needs to be fast, cutting edge and brutal. Thats why we watch it. It needs to be dangerous, because of SPEED! But liberty doesnt understand that and im disappointed that Ross Brawn is going along with this bs.

2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Actually, this nut would still buy a car with a V12 hybrid like the LaFerrari. Ferrari will still make those engines for a while, if they build, people will buy, it will be a niche market. Vast majority of normal day to day cars will be electric at that time. There still will be sports cars, electric or hybrid.
    One thing is, F1 is dying, and Liberty is accelerating it with their profit centered mentality. They are talking away the "magic" or the special feeling in F1. If they make it a standard like Nascar (which is crap) then, thats the final nail in the coffin for F1. F1 needs to be fast, cutting edge and brutal. Thats why we watch it. It needs to be dangerous, because of SPEED! But liberty doesnt understand that and im disappointed that Ross Brawn is going along with this bs.
    I’m with you in some things, like not standardization in F1, but making it dangerous to give you thrills is a no no for me.
    Right now in 2018 LAFERRARI is an Hybrid, are you betting in 2028 it will still be an Hybrid ?
    I don’t think so, the technology is evolving every day, I expect the super cars of the 2030s to be all electric.

I don’t think Liberty is only profit centered, they are trying to Up the show, FOM under the Bernie management were really profit centered and they where killing the sport charging more and more the track we love and killing the open tv, and not letting the streaming a chance.

The problem is they are trying to turn the F1 in something it isn’t, a Super Bowl show, turning it into a glorified spec series is killing the soul of F1.

We need to have better competition but not at that cost.

Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    I’m with you in some things, like not standardization in F1, but making it dangerous to give you thrills is a no no for me.
    Right now in 2018 LAFERRARI is an Hybrid, are you betting in 2028 it will still be an Hybrid ?
    I don’t think so, the technology is evolving every day, I expect the super cars of the 2030s to be all electric.

I don’t think Liberty is only profit centered, they are trying to Up the show, FOM under the Bernie management were really profit centered and they where killing the sport charging more and more the track we love and killing the open tv, and not letting the streaming a chance.

The problem is they are trying to turn the F1 in something it isn’t, a Super Bowl show, turning it into a glorified spec series is killing the soul of F1.

We need to have better competition but not at that cost.

The technology exist today to make cars fully electric, they had it for almost 60 years. But, the engine noise you cant replicate. Like I said, it will be a niche market, they need to make the batteries lighter, this is the next stage.
    I am not saying make it dangerous, but they need to stop adding this Halo and making paved run off areas. Drivers who go racing, they know the risks, they are not kids. I am just saying, make it safe but dont make it like drivers are snowflakes. We have brains, and they know why they are there. It must be about passion, about technology. What makes Senna so special? What you admire about him. It cant be that every single person will want to race, then its not special. I am not saying make cars explode or something like this, but dont make that you want to make it safe just keep adding stupid things to try and make it safe. Halo is not 100% either, something that hapened to massa will not be prevented with Halo.

As much as people complain about modern F1 engines, cars like LaFerrari and Project One shows why car maker continue to invest in F1.
    These cars are engineering marvels that came out of F1's modernization of the engine, among other technologies.