Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    As for tyres.

The situation now is insane. You have seven dry compounds (including an emergency tyre) and even that isn't enough as they have to be redesigned, in season, for some circuits. So in a crazy and laughable situation like this we might as well have a tyre war with two more manufacturers and 14 more compounds. It can't hurt, can it? It's a joke anyway.

With the above in mind I wonder if it would be better to have just one tyre? Let's say one tyre for qualifying and one for the race, on all circuits. Hard as stone and then the tyre factor would be eliminated. Similar to 2005 but that was only one tyre altogether, for quali and race. I know the 2005 rules hurt us massively but that's because 2004 was the benchmark.

Anyway, the tyre factor is too big. Million-dollar technology is developed just to have some rubber mixes basicly decide everything. Crazy and stupid.
    or just go back to waht bridestone had until 2008.....two tires for race (prime and option....one softer then the other) and then add an even softer tire for QUALI.....that's all we need....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I don't consider Alonso an F1 driver anymore...I'd call him...a celebrity...

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    No. Just NO
    One tyre? Why?

I'd much prefer :
    1 qualify tyre.
    1 type of slick tyre
    1 type of intermediate
    1 tyre of wet tyre.

And at least two companies to make them.

Simple stuff.
    Well, that was basicly what I wrote. One quali tyre and one race tyre. Obviously one inter and one full wet as well. I just consentrated on the dry compounds. Let's make it three companies or just as many as the fuel suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    or just go back to waht bridestone had until 2008.....two tires for race (prime and option....one softer then the other) and then add an even softer tire for QUALI.....that's all we need....
    Sounds good as well. Anything possible must be better than what's going on right now. The bottom line, the same tyres should be used at all races so I guess they will have to use Suzuka and Silverstone as benchmark circuits when they would be designed and developed. Monaco and Singapore would get intersting on a hard tyre made for Suzuka for instance. Bye bye grip levels.

And a small detail; TEAMS CHOOSE tyres , not the supplier.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

And a small detail; TEAMS CHOOSE tyres , not the supplier.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    I don't consider Alonso an F1 driver anymore...I'd call him...a celebrity...
    He just won Le Mans and it's probably only a matter of time before he wins the triple crown...

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    He just won Le Mans and it's probably only a matter of time before he wins the triple crown...
    Deserves every bit of success he gets, knowing his luck, Triple crown is still distant.

I don't see that coming ever!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I don't see that coming ever!
    If he stays at McLaren not gonna happen

Triple crown would be by winning Indy 500....achievable for Alonso I would think....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Triple crown would be by winning Indy 500....achievable for Alonso I would think....
    That yes, but 3rd WDC......

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    That yes, but 3rd WDC......
    They weren’t taking about a 3rd F1 title. A triple crown is winning F1, Le Mans and Indy 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    They weren’t taking about a 3rd F1 title. A triple crown is winning F1, Le Mans and Indy 500.

In that case, he is close, but not necessary he will achieve it...

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post

Actually it's winning the Monaco GP,Le Mans and Indy 500

Alonso almost won the Indy 500 last year. I can see him leaving F1 at the end of this season for Indy Car.

Disappointed Since 2010

Alonso almost won the Indy 500 last year. I can see him leaving F1 at the end of this season for Indy Car.
    Almost is a little too much to say, Indy 500 is super random anyway

Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Get real...Alonso did not "almost" win the Indy 500 last year anymore than about 20 other drivers almost won it.

Indy is a hard race to win...requires a LOT of luck and things to go your way.

That said Alonso has a better chance of winning Indy than another F1 title.

RedBull going with the Honda engine.

2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    RedBull going with the Honda engine.
    Link :

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-deal-1046734/

Last edited by Aberracus; 19th June 2018 at 01:55.
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Link ?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...l-1046734/?s=1
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Get real...Alonso did not "almost" win the Indy 500 last year anymore than about 20 other drivers almost won it.

Indy is a hard race to win...requires a LOT of luck and things to go your way.

That said Alonso has a better chance of winning Indy than another F1 title.
    "Alonso didn’t disappoint, leading 27 laps before suffering an engine failure with 21 laps to go while competing for the win."

https://www.indycar.com/News/2017/10...-2018-Indy-500

Disappointed Since 2010

"Alonso didn’t disappoint, leading 27 laps before suffering an engine failure with 21 laps to go while competing for the win."

I know what happened...I watched the race...thanks.

It doesn't matter how many laps you lead if you don't lead the last one.

There was 35 lead changed and Max Chilton lead 1/4 of the laps, still came in 4th. So yeah, Alonso was no closer to winning than anyone else.

Ferrari much more aggressive than its rivals... lets hope ultrasoft is the best tyre
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgD7TQEW0AUIYzN.jpg

Ferrari much more aggressive than its rivals... lets hope ultrasoft is the best tyre
    Yeah really aggressive, 1 less set of super softs...come race day they will all have the same tyres available but still you act surprised....
    Forza Ferrari

I know what happened...I watched the race...thanks.
    Then why are you arguing with me over semantics?
    Last edited by Giallo 550; 19th June 2018 at 17:46.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    It doesn't matter how many laps you lead if you don't lead the last one.

There was 35 lead changed and Max Chilton lead 1/4 of the laps, still came in 4th. So yeah, Alonso was no closer to winning than anyone else.
    I understand how races are won. I said that he almost won and IndyCar's own website said he was competing for a win. The fact is the guy was right there in contention in his first race while his teammate won, and I don't understand why some are trying to detract from that.

Disappointed Since 2010

Now make a percentage of laps to go and realize how foolish it feels when you say ALMOST WON.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Now make a percentage of laps to go and realize how foolish it feels when you say ALMOST WON.
    Imagine how foolish every driver behind Alonso felt before his engine went. They had no engine failure, just driver failure! No where close to ALMOST. Senna , then Alonso, they were the best ever in F1. Now F -Pirelli has Lewis, breaking the records! I believe Max is next to be on top. No moving over rules for him !!!

Approximately 10% of the race remained when his engine blew, which accounts for less than 15 minutes. Wow! I feel foolish now!

Disappointed Since 2010