Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151627 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1527

Thread: 2018 F1 news

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Sirotkin, Stroll, Billions!!! Now that's how you sell a ride! Clair is 2018 F1 - WBC . World business champion.
    Yap, you can't say she's not playing smart with all of that funding she's bringing in.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Sirotkin, Stroll, Billions!!! Now that's how you sell a ride! Clair is 2018 F1 - WBC . World business champion.
    Maybe F1 should also implement the PDC... pay driver championship.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    Been reading alot about this and I know this is still early and its speculation but I thought I would post. Probably won't here anything about it until late 2019 into 2021. So here it goes......What if F1 forks into two different series? Meaning, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault go in their road relevance direction and the rest can stay "behind" with the likes of Redbull, Toro Rosso and the newcomers like Porsche, Aston Martin etc being thats the direction Liberty wants to go????

    Schmidt's F1 blog about a possible pirate series

    Has the war already started?

    Alfa Romeo as main sponsor to Sauber. Maserati may soon become HaasF1. What should the expansion policy of Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne? It could be that Ferrari and Mercedes need allies if they renounce Formula One. It could be the first move in a war against the new Formula 1 owners, says Michael Schmidt.

    drives an aggressive expansion policy. Officially, Alfa Romeo is title sponsor and technical partner of Sauber. There are plans to place the name Maserati on the HaasF1. Marchionne wants the luxury brands from the Fiat Group in the light of Formula 1 shine. More than a digestible tip is not to be expected from Alfa Romeo and Maserati. Technology partner? Pure eye wiping. What, please, Alfa Romeo wants to contribute to the Sauber C37 from 2018? Alfa Romeo's last contact with Formula 1 dates back to 1985. The Milan-based company can not build either a chassis or a gearbox. The true technology partner is Ferrari. As sticks then at most the Alfa logo on it. Like TAG Heuer on Red Bull Renault engines. In the case of the engine, the regulations prohibit external input. The drive unit must be 100 percent owned by the company that has homologated it. Since a stranger can operate in-depth development for a customer in detail.


    Marchionne wants to create dependencies

    The marriage between Sauber and Alfa Romeo is about more. Marchionne wants to create dependencies. If Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault renounce from 2021 from Formula 1. The auto companies are suspicious of Liberty Media's plans with cheaper engines, simpler cars, budget capping and a fairer distribution of money. You do not want to give up either competitive advantages or privileges. And one wants to have a say in the future planning of the premier class. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have shot at the presentation of the engine concept for 2021 with sharp guns. Ferrari threatened reflexively with retreat. Translated that means: Foundation of a competition series. Bernie Ecclestone strewed salt in the wound in Brazil: "I've heard that the car companies are so superior."

    The expiration of the Concorde Agreement at the end of 2020 gives the rebels three years. But you need teams for your own championship. The auto companies must fear that Liberty lures private stables with creating a fair base for all. Even Red Bull floats on the wave. The Salzburg company wants to drastically reduce its spending in Formula One. All others must be for sporting reasons for the plans of the new owners. At the moment from place 4 the hopelessness rules. 59 of the 60 podium places were taken by Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull. The gap to the three top teams is 1.5 seconds. Money buys lap time today. The factory teams have three times as much as their midfielder counterparts.

    The aim of the pirates must be to win allies. You can not drive around alone in a circle. One has to lose. This is only about financial or technical dependencies. HaasF1 hangs technically already on the drip of Ferrari. The US team draws 70 percent of all parts from Maranello. The US team could not build their own car at short notice. The construction of the corresponding infrastructure takes at least a year. The same could flourish, if you order more parts in Maranello in the future. Sauber already depends on the gearbox. Hinwil has shut down the transmission department since BMW times. Mercedes could do the same with Force India and Williams. Especially since both teams are not financially bedded on roses. Outsourcing of components may be a welcome invitation.

    Liberty Media must therefore put the pistol on the team's chest as early as possible. That could happen as early as the 18th of January, when the Americans present the teams their plans of budget capping. At the latest then the manufacturers must show their colors. The engine just warmed up. At the latest when it comes to reducing budgets and staff, you will know whether the formula 1 falls into two camps.

    https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Been reading alot about this and I know this is still early and its speculation but I thought I would post. Probably won't here anything about it until late 2019 into 2021. So here it goes......What if F1 forks into two different series? Meaning, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault go in their road relevance direction and the rest can stay "behind" with the likes of Redbull, Toro Rosso and the newcomers like Porsche, Aston Martin etc being thats the direction Liberty wants to go????
    I think it's easier to do a coup than forming a new series. I think there will be no winners if Ferrari, Mercedes etc form their own championship. Both parties will have massive loses. It's easier to just quit and continue business without F1 than forming a new series. My humble opinion.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,324
    What does F1 have that's keeping the teams involved after 2021? Seems to me that F1 will quickly become worthless if the major teams back out. Liberty could find itself holding onto nothing but a name and race track contracts.
    I say let the manufacturers try to run their own series. Maybe it will bring F1 back to what it was. Open engine development, less restrictive aero rules and car designs hopefully will be part of it.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I think it's easier to do a coup than forming a new series. I think there will be no winners if Ferrari, Mercedes etc form their own championship. Both parties will have massive loses. It's easier to just quit and continue business without F1 than forming a new series. My humble opinion.
    No.
    Liberty has everything to lose comparing to the teams if one takes into consideration the size of the investment they put when they bought into F1.
    The teams stand to make a new series , easily.

    Liberty just cannot stand to have a wreck of F1 in their hands.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1
    Seems like we have passed the crash test already

    Check out @autosport’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/autosport/status...044897280?s=09

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    No.
    Liberty has everything to lose comparing to the teams if one takes into consideration the size of the investment they put when they bought into F1.
    The teams stand to make a new series , easily.

    Liberty just cannot stand to have a wreck of F1 in their hands.
    But what if the FIA doesn't recognize the new series?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    524
    They are early this year, not sure if that’s good or not: New Ferrari F1 car passes FIA crash tests

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    They are early this year, not sure if that’s good or not: New Ferrari F1 car passes FIA crash tests
    Maybe it shows that the team is pretty confident about next year?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Maybe it shows that the team is pretty confident about next year?
    Don't let's get too carried away, I feel there will be even more competition from the likes of Mclaren as well as RB and Merc next year, it would be nice to think that Sauber might be up there to take points from them. Getting the crash tests sorted early is good news, though.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    524
    It may show the team is on it or that the 2018 chassis is similar to this years. We will have to wait and see...

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Don't let's get too carried away, I feel there will be even more competition from the likes of Mclaren as well as RB and Merc next year, it would be nice to think that Sauber might be up there to take points from them. Getting the crash tests sorted early is good news, though.
    Yeah, but i guess it's reasonable to be a bit confident considering that the team made such a huge step last year. Like SM said, if we make the same step again we are more than good.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    FIA going to "govern" wheel lock-to-lock due to an "aerodynamic" advantage when going through the corners. Apparently someone complained about this..... from Autosport per Gary Anderson.

    The Technical Directive 44 of 2017 lays down a limit (5 mm) on the control of the height from the ground through the steering. It therefore restricts to the extreme use of "pushrod on upright" but the FUnoAT sources indicate that it will change very little.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR08QTnWsAYuDVL.jpg

    Ferrari: Ferrari is one of the first teams (with Force India and rumors concerning Williams too) to pass the FIA crash tests on the 2018 car a day ago. The Ferrari 2018 project (669) is far ahead than 2017 project (668).


    Mercedes: Also, some more great news(sarcasm) from Autosport but Mercedes only completed 90% of the car for 2017... due to they foresaw some changes throughout the mid-season...mostly in the aero dept??? I think its more in their suspension dept. hence the above story of the wheel lock-to-lock.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 24th December 2017 at 20:56.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    FIA going to "govern" wheel lock-to-lock due to an "aerodynamic" advantage when going through the corners. Apparently someone complained about this..... from Autosport per Gary Anderson.

    The Technical Directive 44 of 2017 lays down a limit (5 mm) on the control of the height from the ground through the steering. It therefore restricts to the extreme use of "pushrod on upright" but the FUnoAT sources indicate that it will change very little.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR08QTnWsAYuDVL.jpg

    Ferrari: Ferrari is one of the first teams (with Force India and rumors concerning Williams too) to pass the FIA crash tests on the 2018 car a day ago. The Ferrari 2018 project (669) is far ahead than 2017 project (668).


    Mercedes: Also, some more great news(sarcasm) from Autosport but Mercedes only completed 90% of the car for 2017... due to they foresaw some changes throughout the mid-season...mostly in the aero dept??? I think its more in their suspension dept. hence the above story of the wheel lock-to-lock.
    Ferrari's work on the 2018 car is on schedule, the car is light and allows optimal ballast distribution, but there are two problems:

    - the power unit still has reliability issues and so far no single unit has completed a 7-races simulation.

    - like other teams, they have to change the front suspension geometry and this will make the car a little less efficient in fast corners.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,235
    Ferrari Preview: 669 with a longer wheelbase than the SF70H!

    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...-sf70h-991127/
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  17. #47
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    6,758
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Ferrari Preview: 669 with a longer wheelbase than the SF70H!

    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...-sf70h-991127/
    Hopefully it’s not gonna turn into a DIVA like the Mercedes was by having a long wheelbase
    ...the new SF71H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  18. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    524
    Ferrari had a long wheelbase in 2007, it worked out fairly well. I’m sure it will be fine.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Ferrari Preview: 669 with a longer wheelbase than the SF70H!

    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...-sf70h-991127/
    shrug.....sigh. If its the LWB then its the LWB.......the current WB is fine as it worked well in all tracks. As someone mentioned before, they need more hp and reliability which I'm more than sure they are working on.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Ferrari had a long wheelbase in 2007, it worked out fairly well. I’m sure it will be fine.

    j-rag, completely different car and a completely different engine with a completely different chassis with completely different tyres with completely different fuel loads.....just completely different.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    6,758
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    j-rag, completely different car and a completely different engine with a completely different chassis with completely different tyres with completely different fuel loads.....just completely different.
    ^this, could not agree more
    ...the new SF71H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  22. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tehran, Iran
    Posts
    129
    The last 2017 season was really great! Even we lost the championship but I am so proud of team work and our drivers are best in the world... I am looking forward to the next year and I hope that we can get it this time I'm sure we do!
    “When my cars come in first and win, I feel very proud because I'm Italian.”

    Enzo Ferrari

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Montevideo
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    shrug.....sigh. If its the LWB then its the LWB.......the current WB is fine as it worked well in all tracks. As someone mentioned before, they need more hp and reliability which I'm more than sure they are working on.
    The article is pure speculation and completely vague, it doesn't say it will be LWB it just says it's WB will be longer than the SF70H which was 3594mm and mentions the new one will surely be over 3600mm (half a cm longer? )
    That doesn't mean it will be near the 2017 MB's 3760mm wheelbase

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,296
    Ferrari's car will have a slightly extended wheelbase and Merc's will be slightly shortened, Ferrari need engine improvements for sure then hopefully it will be gloves off between us. But I'm sure RB/Renault and Mclaren won't make it any easier in 2018.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bulvania
    Posts
    2,885
    Each PU must last 7 races. Seven. SEVEN!!!
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Each PU must last 7 races. Seven. SEVEN!!!
    Imagine if a team created an engine that could only last one race but was a rocket ship compared to these seven race engines. They would get grid penalties at every race but they could easily obliterate the rest of the field and win every race (except for Monaco, maybe).

    I doubt any team would even consider this approach but would be a funny if it happened!

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
    Each PU must last 7 races. Seven. SEVEN!!!

    yup, You're just barely figuring that out???

    Can you imagine in the race: " Okay, you've made the pass and you're 10 seconds ahead, dial the engine down as we have to save it for the next race." Pathetic.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    5,366
    Here's something else to think about in this 2018 3 component allocation allotment dilemma. Again, this is just a hypothetical.

    Let's say by GP #15, Ferrari is already in grid spot penalties and starts mid-pack...like 10th place or maybe further back and Mercedes is ahead. Whats to stop Mercedes from introducing a brand new PU at every race after GP #15 to further its development in this so called hybrid PU era/formula and start alongside with Ferrari or behind Ferrari to gear up for 2019...especially at tracks where it suits Mercedes.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Here's something else to think about in this 2018 3 component allocation allotment dilemma. Again, this is just a hypothetical.

    Let's say by GP #15, Ferrari is already in grid spot penalties and starts mid-pack...like 10th place or maybe further back and Mercedes is ahead. Whats to stop Mercedes from introducing a brand new PU at every race after GP #15 to further its development in this so called hybrid PU era/formula and start alongside with Ferrari or behind Ferrari to gear up for 2019...especially at tracks where it suits Mercedes.
    Merc always had a head start with the current turbo/hybrid era and still manage to stay one step ahead but there must be a point where it's physically impossible to get more power out of an already highly developed unit. The 3-engine limit is totally unrealistic and will cost more because they'll need more of them when blow up!

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    111
    They should go back to practice engines and one just for qualifying then use the race engines for 7 races.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •