Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122233459 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Channel 4 is free.
    But they don't show all the races live, so it's not the same even if we do have to watch some live races at unsociable hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I agree about your points regarding unlimited testing and more engines per season. However, i don't agree about the rest because F1 must remain developing top notch technology with some road relevance for the future. That's why F1 is special, this is actually the foundation of F1. And no, F1 is not sort of a spec series now because there's a huge difference between Force India's chassis and Merc for example. Hell, there's even a huge difference between Ferrari's chassis and Mercedes. The thing i agree the most with you is that F1 must change front wing design to allow cars follow each other more easily.
    Chassis? do you know what the chassis is on an F1 car? effectively its the tub, from the nose to where driver sits. Its all the same for all teams. Its only the suspension layout and setup thats different to all teams. F1 doesnt need to be road relevant. Not anymore, FE is the focus of car manufacturers for their electric drive cars.

F1 was, sort of a spec series in 60s, 70s. With the climax engines then later on nearly all teams switching to the Ford DSV engines. As they were cheap and reliable, light and very fast.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Chassis? do you know what the chassis is on an F1 car? effectively its the tub, from the nose to where driver sits. Its all the same for all teams. Its only the suspension layout and setup thats different to all teams. F1 doesnt need to be road relevant. Not anymore, FE is the focus of car manufacturers for their electric drive cars.

F1 was, sort of a spec series in 60s, 70s. With the climax engines then later on nearly all teams switching to the Ford DSV engines. As they were cheap and reliable, light and very fast.
    +1

Number of employee's per manufacturer for 2017.

•Ferrari: 960+440
    •McLaren: 690
    •Haas: 225

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUdSnMwXcAAIS3S.jpg

Mercedes offers Wehrlein a role as F1 test driver

Toto Wolff has confirmed that Pascal Wehrlein will be a Mercedes "test driver" in 2018. Having debuted at Manor, the young German has now lost his race seat after his second season in F1 with Sauber.

But Wolff said recently that Wehrlein, 23, will continue to enjoy the backing of the Mercedes driver programme. And the Mercedes chief now tells Sport Bild: "We have supported Pascal since 2013 and he earned his chance in formula one after his DTM victory in 2015."

"After that, he experienced two not so easy years in formula one with Manor and Sauber. But we will keep him in our racing family in 2018 and also offer him a role as F1 test driver at Mercedes, to keep his door open to formula one for 2019," Wolff added. (GMM)

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2...f1-test-driver

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Number of employee's per manufacturer for 2017.

•Ferrari: 960+440
    •McLaren: 690
    •Haas: 225

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUdSnMwXcAAIS3S.jpg
    Crazy the amount of people the big teams have, I wonder if every single job is 100% necessary. F1 is complex and the cars and engines are complex too but that's a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Crazy the amount of people the big teams have, I wonder if every single job is 100% necessary. F1 is complex and the cars and engines are complex too but that's a lot of people.
    I think the big teams have so many employees because Ferrari for example manufacture almost everything by itself. Haas on the other hand has a chassis by Dalara and buys engines from a different manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    in Bosnia as well ..........Who would thought we have something better than Germans

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Yes they are. I remember when I used to watch races on RTL, their ads blocks are enormous long.... Thankfully here in Serbia we have Sport Klub which is broadcasting throughout whole weekend without ads
    We were watching F1 on Sport Klub here in Macedonia as well. However, for some reason they switched on the Croatian Sport Klub and the broadcast is without any commentary lol. So after they switched on the Croatian one which is without commentators we were watching on the national Macedonian television but it looks like they are not going to buy the rights for this year so we are out of F1. Oh well, at least we got the Croatian one without commentators lol. But i guess i'll stream it if the national television doesn't buy the rights.

Some news from Turrini:

1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.
    2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).
    3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.
    4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.
    5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.
    6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.
    7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

https://www.quotidia...wer-unit-5.4824

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    Some news from Turrini:

1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.
    2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).
    3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.
    4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.
    5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.
    6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.
    7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

https://www.quotidia...wer-unit-5.4824
    Only Albert Park Qualy can confirm this.

If 1,000 HP. can't get the driver on pole , nothing can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If 1,000 HP. can't get the driver on pole , nothing can.
    its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    exactly, just like the williams was in 2016 i thikn when in Monza they had the fastest speed trap down teh strights (something like 365 or more km/h) but it handled like @$$ in the few corners that track had and Mercedes still took pole....so it's not all about speed, the car has to be good handling in corners as well having a good balance

let's hope Ferrari have been working flat out over these past few months and for next month as well and will be building a BEAST of a car come winter testing but more importantly Q3 in OZ
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Yes, it's about how that power is delivered, peak power range etc.

Having said that more power is always better then less power, last year Red Bull had to compromise on the corners by reducing downforce so they don't lose too much on the straights, whereas Mercs can afford to lose some power down the straight by bolting more downforce on due to the advantage they had.

What will be interesting is to see if anyone else has copied our radical side pods? Even if they have we have 1 years knowledge on themwhereas they will be in their infancy.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Yes, it's about how that power is delivered, peak power range etc.

Having said that more power is always better then less power, last year Red Bull had to compromise on the corners by reducing downforce so they don't lose too much on the straights, whereas Mercs can afford to lose some power down the straight by bolting more downforce on due to the advantage they had.
    Yeah, especially Monza. Ricciardo said they basically had no rear wing there. Good aero and PU is equally important, especially in today's F1.

Very true, getting to the corners first and starting in the lead helps. Tech on top of tech and HP IMO got Merc the edge. Lewis also helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Channel 4 is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    But they don't show all the races live, so it's not the same even if we do have to watch some live races at unsociable hours!

Which F1 races will be live on Channel 4 in 2018?

The Monaco and British Grands Prix will be among 10 races broadcast live on terrestrial television in the UK by Channel 4 in 2018.

Channel 4 and Sky Sports announced on Monday how their live races will be divided in 2018, with the season opening round in Australia exclusively live on Sky.

The races in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Monaco, Austria, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Japan, USA and Abu Dhabi will be live on Channel 4.

It means the returning French and German Grands Prix will be exclusive live events for Sky.

Channel 4 will show delayed highlights of the 11 races it is not broadcasting live.

This is the final year of Channel 4's three-year F1 broadcast deal, with the championship to be shown exclusively on Sky from next season.

2018 F1 TV schedule in the UK

Race Date Live on
    Australian Grand Prix March 23-25 Sky
    Bahrain Grand Prix April 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
    Chinese Grand Prix April 13-15 Sky
    Azerbaijan Grand Prix April 27-29 Sky/Channel 4
    Spanish Grand Prix May 11-13 Sky
    Monaco Grand Prix May 25-27 Sky/Channel 4
    Canadian Grand Prix June 8-10 Sky
    French Grand Prix June 22-24 Sky
    Austrian Grand Prix June 29-July 1 Sky/Channel 4
    British Grand Prix July 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
    German Grand Prix July 20-22 Sky
    Hungarian Grand Prix July 27-29 Sky
    Belgian Grand Prix August 24-26 Sky/Channel 4
    Italian Grand Prix August 31-September 2 Sky
    Singapore Grand Prix September 14-16 Sky/Channel 4
    Russian Grand Prix September 28-30 Sky
    Japanese Grand Prix October 5-7 Sky/Channel 4
    United States Grand Prix October 19-21 Sky/Channel 4
    Mexican Grand Prix October 26-28 Sky
    Brazilian Grand Prix November 9-11 Sky
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 23-25 Sky/Channel 4

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-live-f1-races

CONFIRMED: The official online launch of the Alfa Romeo Sauber #C37 2018 #F1 car is set for the 20th of February.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUsrlwIXUAEZlTt.jpg

Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?
    exactly, i'm sure we'll all see that peak 1000hp ONLY in quali mode in Q3 in order to get that perfect lap for POLE

no way that engine can be run 100% all race long when one has to save fuel as well as those THREE engines have last 21 races....LOL
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Some guy told me that a friend of his that is working in GT cars,one day that he went in the factory he was in front were they where testing the new pu.And he saw 1198 hp peak power!!!!! Im just saying it. I know its just a guy told me a guy told him kind of thing and probably its its just nonsense.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    exactly, i'm sure we'll all see that peak 1000hp ONLY in quali mode in Q3 in order to get that perfect lap for POLE

no way that engine can be run 100% all race long when one has to save fuel as well as those THREE engines have last 21 races....LOL
    +1

getting around the corners has to do with a multitude of things i.e. aero, suspension and tyre widths but its the exit (torque) where you have to find the limit of not spinning the rears.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Some guy told me that a friend of his that is working in GT cars,one day that he went in the factory he was in front were they where testing the new pu.And he saw 1198 hp peak power!!!!! Im just saying it. I know its just a guy told me a guy told him kind of thing and probably its its just nonsense.
    Mercedes?? Seriously though this "1000bhp" that Ferrari is chasing and article claims that Mercedes is at 1000bhp is all hype. IMO, Mercedes is above the 1000bhp mark.....like a year or two ago......yes that long but it's just my opinion....all thanks to the intro of this current formula and having a 2 to 3 yr jump than everyone else ALONG WITH the "illustrious" token system to hamper further development of the other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I really doubt that Ferrari would test their secretive F1 engine in front of an open audience (even from the GT division)... this sounds fishy, I don't buy it.
    Also 1200Hp sounds unrealistic, 1000Hp sounds realistic on the other side.

The peak power is only used during Q3 or during very important phases of the race (and in short bursts), you cannot run at peak power too much for two main reasons: fuel consumption & reliability, and coming next year teams will need to be even more conservative with their PU's since they only get 3/season.

The good news is that our PU was very reliable last year, we had issues with the tubos/batery but the thermic engine ran without issues and we could have finished with the allocated 4 PU's for the hole year without other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    I really doubt that Ferrari would test their secretive F1 engine in front of an open audience (even from the GT division)... this sounds fishy, I don't buy it.
    Also 1200Hp sounds unrealistic, 1000Hp sounds realistic on the other side.
    I know it sounds unrealistic , but remember that since summer it is told that Sassi had design a revolution new ice for 18 with great performance but very poor reliability
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

If 1000 HP gets the car on pole and a good 1st place lead, all the cars behind also have to save fuel and worry about those THREE engines, the diff. being 1st place lead gets you out of traffic and the best shot at a win. No driver regrets being in 1st place during a race.The 1000 HP car is more than likely set up areo ,tech. etc. to accommodate all them horses,unless it's Ferrari's spark plug mechanic!
    Last edited by Brembo; 29th January 2018 at 18:59.