Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 871

Thread: 2018 F1 news

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Channel 4 is free.
    But they don't show all the races live, so it's not the same even if we do have to watch some live races at unsociable hours!

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    17,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I agree about your points regarding unlimited testing and more engines per season. However, i don't agree about the rest because F1 must remain developing top notch technology with some road relevance for the future. That's why F1 is special, this is actually the foundation of F1. And no, F1 is not sort of a spec series now because there's a huge difference between Force India's chassis and Merc for example. Hell, there's even a huge difference between Ferrari's chassis and Mercedes. The thing i agree the most with you is that F1 must change front wing design to allow cars follow each other more easily.
    Chassis? do you know what the chassis is on an F1 car? effectively its the tub, from the nose to where driver sits. Its all the same for all teams. Its only the suspension layout and setup thats different to all teams. F1 doesnt need to be road relevant. Not anymore, FE is the focus of car manufacturers for their electric drive cars.

    F1 was, sort of a spec series in 60s, 70s. With the climax engines then later on nearly all teams switching to the Ford DSV engines. As they were cheap and reliable, light and very fast.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Chassis? do you know what the chassis is on an F1 car? effectively its the tub, from the nose to where driver sits. Its all the same for all teams. Its only the suspension layout and setup thats different to all teams. F1 doesnt need to be road relevant. Not anymore, FE is the focus of car manufacturers for their electric drive cars.

    F1 was, sort of a spec series in 60s, 70s. With the climax engines then later on nearly all teams switching to the Ford DSV engines. As they were cheap and reliable, light and very fast.
    +1

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    Number of employee's per manufacturer for 2017.

    •Ferrari: 960+440
    •McLaren: 690
    •Haas: 225


    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUdSnMwXcAAIS3S.jpg

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    Mercedes offers Wehrlein a role as F1 test driver

    Toto Wolff has confirmed that Pascal Wehrlein will be a Mercedes "test driver" in 2018. Having debuted at Manor, the young German has now lost his race seat after his second season in F1 with Sauber.

    But Wolff said recently that Wehrlein, 23, will continue to enjoy the backing of the Mercedes driver programme. And the Mercedes chief now tells Sport Bild: "We have supported Pascal since 2013 and he earned his chance in formula one after his DTM victory in 2015."

    "After that, he experienced two not so easy years in formula one with Manor and Sauber. But we will keep him in our racing family in 2018 and also offer him a role as F1 test driver at Mercedes, to keep his door open to formula one for 2019," Wolff added. (GMM)

    https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2...f1-test-driver

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ferrari Car
    Posts
    1,747
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Number of employee's per manufacturer for 2017.

    •Ferrari: 960+440
    •McLaren: 690
    •Haas: 225



    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUdSnMwXcAAIS3S.jpg
    Crazy the amount of people the big teams have, I wonder if every single job is 100% necessary. F1 is complex and the cars and engines are complex too but that's a lot of people.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Crazy the amount of people the big teams have, I wonder if every single job is 100% necessary. F1 is complex and the cars and engines are complex too but that's a lot of people.
    I think the big teams have so many employees because Ferrari for example manufacture almost everything by itself. Haas on the other hand has a chassis by Dalara and buys engines from a different manufacturer.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    9,907
    Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    in Bosnia as well ..........Who would thought we have something better than Germans

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Yes they are. I remember when I used to watch races on RTL, their ads blocks are enormous long.... Thankfully here in Serbia we have Sport Klub which is broadcasting throughout whole weekend without ads
    We were watching F1 on Sport Klub here in Macedonia as well. However, for some reason they switched on the Croatian Sport Klub and the broadcast is without any commentary lol. So after they switched on the Croatian one which is without commentators we were watching on the national Macedonian television but it looks like they are not going to buy the rights for this year so we are out of F1. Oh well, at least we got the Croatian one without commentators lol. But i guess i'll stream it if the national television doesn't buy the rights.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    146
    Some news from Turrini:

    1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.
    2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).
    3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.
    4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.
    5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.
    6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.
    7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

    https://www.quotidia...wer-unit-5.4824

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    Some news from Turrini:

    1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.
    2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).
    3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.
    4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.
    5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.
    6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.
    7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

    https://www.quotidia...wer-unit-5.4824
    Only Albert Park Qualy can confirm this.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,033
    If 1,000 HP. can't get the driver on pole , nothing can.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stowmarket. U.K
    Posts
    17,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If 1,000 HP. can't get the driver on pole , nothing can.
    its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

  15. #255
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    6,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    exactly, just like the williams was in 2016 i thikn when in Monza they had the fastest speed trap down teh strights (something like 365 or more km/h) but it handled like @$$ in the few corners that track had and Mercedes still took pole....so it's not all about speed, the car has to be good handling in corners as well having a good balance

    let's hope Ferrari have been working flat out over these past few months and for next month as well and will be building a BEAST of a car come winter testing but more importantly Q3 in OZ
    ...the new SF71H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  16. #256
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,521
    Yes, it's about how that power is delivered, peak power range etc.

    Having said that more power is always better then less power, last year Red Bull had to compromise on the corners by reducing downforce so they don't lose too much on the straights, whereas Mercs can afford to lose some power down the straight by bolting more downforce on due to the advantage they had.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,521
    What will be interesting is to see if anyone else has copied our radical side pods? Even if they have we have 1 years knowledge on themwhereas they will be in their infancy.

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Yes, it's about how that power is delivered, peak power range etc.

    Having said that more power is always better then less power, last year Red Bull had to compromise on the corners by reducing downforce so they don't lose too much on the straights, whereas Mercs can afford to lose some power down the straight by bolting more downforce on due to the advantage they had.
    Yeah, especially Monza. Ricciardo said they basically had no rear wing there. Good aero and PU is equally important, especially in today's F1.

  19. #259
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    Very true, getting to the corners first and starting in the lead helps. Tech on top of tech and HP IMO got Merc the edge. Lewis also helped!

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Channel 4 is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    But they don't show all the races live, so it's not the same even if we do have to watch some live races at unsociable hours!


    Which F1 races will be live on Channel 4 in 2018?


    The Monaco and British Grands Prix will be among 10 races broadcast live on terrestrial television in the UK by Channel 4 in 2018.

    Channel 4 and Sky Sports announced on Monday how their live races will be divided in 2018, with the season opening round in Australia exclusively live on Sky.

    The races in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Monaco, Austria, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Japan, USA and Abu Dhabi will be live on Channel 4.

    It means the returning French and German Grands Prix will be exclusive live events for Sky.

    Channel 4 will show delayed highlights of the 11 races it is not broadcasting live.

    This is the final year of Channel 4's three-year F1 broadcast deal, with the championship to be shown exclusively on Sky from next season.

    2018 F1 TV schedule in the UK

    Race Date Live on
    Australian Grand Prix March 23-25 Sky
    Bahrain Grand Prix April 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
    Chinese Grand Prix April 13-15 Sky
    Azerbaijan Grand Prix April 27-29 Sky/Channel 4
    Spanish Grand Prix May 11-13 Sky
    Monaco Grand Prix May 25-27 Sky/Channel 4
    Canadian Grand Prix June 8-10 Sky
    French Grand Prix June 22-24 Sky
    Austrian Grand Prix June 29-July 1 Sky/Channel 4
    British Grand Prix July 6-8 Sky/Channel 4
    German Grand Prix July 20-22 Sky
    Hungarian Grand Prix July 27-29 Sky
    Belgian Grand Prix August 24-26 Sky/Channel 4
    Italian Grand Prix August 31-September 2 Sky
    Singapore Grand Prix September 14-16 Sky/Channel 4
    Russian Grand Prix September 28-30 Sky
    Japanese Grand Prix October 5-7 Sky/Channel 4
    United States Grand Prix October 19-21 Sky/Channel 4
    Mexican Grand Prix October 26-28 Sky
    Brazilian Grand Prix November 9-11 Sky
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix November 23-25 Sky/Channel 4

    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-live-f1-races

  21. #261
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    CONFIRMED: The official online launch of the Alfa Romeo Sauber #C37 2018 #F1 car is set for the 20th of February.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUsrlwIXUAEZlTt.jpg

  22. #262
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Montevideo
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    its not just all about BHP, its in the power delivery, drivability of the car. You could blast down the straights, but if you cannt get round corners, you done for.
    Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?

  23. #263
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    6,067
    Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?
    exactly, i'm sure we'll all see that peak 1000hp ONLY in quali mode in Q3 in order to get that perfect lap for POLE

    no way that engine can be run 100% all race long when one has to save fuel as well as those THREE engines have last 21 races....LOL
    ...the new SF71H looks amazing. Let's hope it's gonna be as FAST as it looks.


  24. #264
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,178
    Some guy told me that a friend of his that is working in GT cars,one day that he went in the factory he was in front were they where testing the new pu.And he saw 1198 hp peak power!!!!! Im just saying it. I know its just a guy told me a guy told him kind of thing and probably its its just nonsense.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  25. #265
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    exactly, i'm sure we'll all see that peak 1000hp ONLY in quali mode in Q3 in order to get that perfect lap for POLE

    no way that engine can be run 100% all race long when one has to save fuel as well as those THREE engines have last 21 races....LOL
    +1

    getting around the corners has to do with a multitude of things i.e. aero, suspension and tyre widths but its the exit (torque) where you have to find the limit of not spinning the rears.

    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Some guy told me that a friend of his that is working in GT cars,one day that he went in the factory he was in front were they where testing the new pu.And he saw 1198 hp peak power!!!!! Im just saying it. I know its just a guy told me a guy told him kind of thing and probably its its just nonsense.
    Mercedes?? Seriously though this "1000bhp" that Ferrari is chasing and article claims that Mercedes is at 1000bhp is all hype. IMO, Mercedes is above the 1000bhp mark.....like a year or two ago......yes that long but it's just my opinion....all thanks to the intro of this current formula and having a 2 to 3 yr jump than everyone else ALONG WITH the "illustrious" token system to hamper further development of the other manufacturers.

  26. #266
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Some guy told me that a friend of his that is working in GT cars,one day that he went in the factory he was in front were they where testing the new pu.And he saw 1198 hp peak power!!!!! Im just saying it. I know its just a guy told me a guy told him kind of thing and probably its its just nonsense.
    I really doubt that Ferrari would test their secretive F1 engine in front of an open audience (even from the GT division)... this sounds fishy, I don't buy it.
    Also 1200Hp sounds unrealistic, 1000Hp sounds realistic on the other side.

  27. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Don't forget fuel economy and reliability, what's the use of a 1000HP engine if you have to run it at 70% all race just to have enough fuel to reach the end or to make it last seven races?
    The peak power is only used during Q3 or during very important phases of the race (and in short bursts), you cannot run at peak power too much for two main reasons: fuel consumption & reliability, and coming next year teams will need to be even more conservative with their PU's since they only get 3/season.

    The good news is that our PU was very reliable last year, we had issues with the tubos/batery but the thermic engine ran without issues and we could have finished with the allocated 4 PU's for the hole year without other issues.

  28. #268
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    4,204

  29. #269
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    I really doubt that Ferrari would test their secretive F1 engine in front of an open audience (even from the GT division)... this sounds fishy, I don't buy it.
    Also 1200Hp sounds unrealistic, 1000Hp sounds realistic on the other side.
    I know it sounds unrealistic , but remember that since summer it is told that Sassi had design a revolution new ice for 18 with great performance but very poor reliability
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  30. #270
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    exactly, i'm sure we'll all see that peak 1000hp ONLY in quali mode in Q3 in order to get that perfect lap for POLE

    no way that engine can be run 100% all race long when one has to save fuel as well as those THREE engines have last 21 races....LOL
    If 1000 HP gets the car on pole and a good 1st place lead, all the cars behind also have to save fuel and worry about those THREE engines, the diff. being 1st place lead gets you out of traffic and the best shot at a win. No driver regrets being in 1st place during a race.The 1000 HP car is more than likely set up areo ,tech. etc. to accommodate all them horses,unless it's Ferrari's spark plug mechanic!
    Last edited by Brembo; 29th January 2018 at 19:59.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •