Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1861

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Hamilton threatens to quit F1 if the F1 calender grows!!

Dear Liberty,

Let's get 25GP's for 2019 season!!! Some suggestions--> North Pole GP, South Pole GP, Antartica GP, Iranian GP......
    Now I want nine triple headers in a row with half of them in Afghanistan...

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Now I want nine triple headers in a row with half of them in Afghanistan...
    Have no fear Eighty Poles ain't leaving untill he takes all Shumy's records down. He has years ahead of him to get it done. Why would he ever quit only to come back out of retirement ? Nothing is forever, Max will then take out Eighty Poles records. What the hell happened to Seb? Did Ferrari give Kimi the car and leave Seb to drive to win?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Have no fear Eighty Poles ain't leaving untill he takes all Shumy's records down.

Hmmm, it's almost as if you want Hamilton to break a former Ferrari driver's record...

Disappointed Since 2010

He ain’t going anywhere, he has his sights set on 7 WDCs and a chance to be called GOAT. That’s other thing that he will never be, even if he gets 10 titles. But boy, he is one of the greats, can’t see anyone matching his talent on next year’s grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    He ain’t going anywhere, he has his sights set on 7 WDCs and a chance to be called GOAT. That’s other thing that he will never be, even if he gets 10 titles. But boy, he is one of the greats, can’t see anyone matching his talent on next year’s grid.
    It’s annoying when people go onsbout best ever. It’s impossible to say, hell its even not possible with drivers who are driving against each other.

At this moment we have 3 great drivers and a few potentials and a few good.

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Hmmm, it's almost as if you want Hamilton to break a former Ferrari driver's record...
    Actually I want to see Max with Ferrari breaking Eighty Poles records no matter how great they may wind up. He's got plenty of time and already knows whats up. Next year Merc will be handing Lewis a diaper to wear every race!!

"Honda announces new partnership to help F1 turbo development"

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...turbo-progress
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Anyone can be called a great when they drive the most dominant car in the history of Milky Way Galaxy. A driver can be called great if they have won title(s) in 2nd best car. Hamilton is yet to do that.

His record prior to 2014 Mercedes says a lot, he was nowhere to be found, always getting owned by Vettel, Alonso, Button and a couple more. When Button and Hamilton were teammates together from 2010-2012, Button outscored Hamilton. Hamilton lost a 2 car championship in 2016. And in both 2017 and 2018, Valtteri Bottas was performing better than Hamilton in first half, some bad luck on Bottas side and extraordinary luck on Hamilton's side has always given him more points and then after 2nd half, Mercedes on record have already mentioned that they setup the car more to Hamilton's liking, poor Bottas is left to block rival drivers and forget about winning.

The only teammate Hamilton has ever beat convincingly is Kovalainen back in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Anyone can be called a great when they drive the most dominant car in the history of Milky Way Galaxy. A driver can be called great if they have won title(s) in 2nd best car. Hamilton is yet to do that.

His record prior to 2014 Mercedes says a lot, he was nowhere to be found, always getting owned by Vettel, Alonso, Button and a couple more. When Button and Hamilton were teammates together from 2010-2012, Button outscored Hamilton. Hamilton lost a 2 car championship in 2016. And in both 2017 and 2018, Valtteri Bottas was performing better than Hamilton in first half, some bad luck on Bottas side and extraordinary luck on Hamilton's side has always given him more points and then after 2nd half, Mercedes on record have already mentioned that they setup the car more to Hamilton's liking, poor Bottas is left to block rival drivers and forget about winning.

The only teammate Hamilton has ever beat convincingly is Kovalainen back in 2009.
    Winning titles doesn’t define greatness let alone the second best car. I know you think Sebastian is god, I read your sun & moon comment as well. I’ll have whatever you smoke

Winning titles doesn’t define greatness let alone the second best car. I know you think Sebastian is god, I read your sun & moon comment as well. I’ll have whatever you smoke
    Whatever I say is based on facts, what you say has no basis whatsoever. Your definition of greatness is get poles, wins and titles in the greatest car of all time. Anyone can do that, even a second/third grade driver like Nico Rosberg got 40 poles and even world title in that Mercedes.

Probably you didn't read Verstappen's recent comment as well, after Hamilton had won title in Mexico, this is what Verstappen said:

Vettel could win with his car, Ricciardo could win with his car, I could win with his car.
    It's all good for Hamilton when he is out in front, pole to flag but when he isn't, he gets rattled easily, look at all his previous races, if he is not in the front, he performs badly.

Whatever I say is based on facts, what you say has no basis whatsoever. Your definition of greatness is get poles, wins and titles in the greatest car of all time. Anyone can do that, even a second/third grade driver like Nico Rosberg got 40 poles and even world title in that Mercedes.

Probably you didn't read Verstappen's recent comment as well, after Hamilton had won title in Mexico, this is what Verstappen said:

It's all good for Hamilton when he is out in front, pole to flag but when he isn't, he gets rattled easily, look at all his previous races, if he is not in the front, he performs badly.
    Maybe you didn’t read what I said, I’ll make it more clear, stats (titles, wins, poles etc) does not define greatness. Gilles Villeneuve is one the greatest ever with 0 titles. What you do with tools in hand, how you react when pressure is applied on you, how you win wars while selecting right battles is what defines a driver. As much as I dislike the guy, but 2018 shows the difference between Hamilton & Vettel. That cookie didn’t crumble in first half of 2018 when odds were against him, he won the title then.

well in all seriousness, we could say the same about Vettel.....he was the same in the Newey designed cars at red bull (2010-2013) when he was banging pole position after pole position and leading the race from strart to finish....ANYONE could have won WDC's in that car ( Alonso, richiardo,.....etc)....but put him in a second tier car and does nothing....heck, this year we had an awesome car and through his mistakes we proll lost the WDC....

to me ALONSO is one the the greats....and NOT hamilton....alonso in a mediocre car ( 2012), he drove the weeles off that car and ALMOST won the WDC agianst the OVERATED vETTEL and a Newey designed car....

now take that, put it in your pipe and smoke it
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    +1

What's India's population now.....1.2 or 1.5 billion people??
    It's not how start but how you finish.

[Sportbild] About the rule changes for 2019:

Paddy Lowe: "The changes have bigger impacts than the introduction of the hybrid engines (2014) and the bigger cars in 2017."

The situation is comparable to 2009:
    Lowe: "The big teams like Mclaren and Ferrari fell down and Red Bull and Brawn dominated."

Coulthard: "It could really become closer and more exciting. The designers can hardly rely on the basic data of 2018. Basically they have to build completely new cars. And in the first year of new rules, the cars made by Newey are the best."

Helmut Marko: "I‘m convinced that we will get involved at the front. We were always strong when there were big changes in the chassis area. Our data says that Honda will only be 13hp behind Mercedes/Ferrari in 2019."

Bernie Ecclestone does not believe the 2019 rule changes will stop the Mercedes dominance
    "I still bet my money on Mercedes. Money always decides the championship and Mercedes has by far the most of it."

"In addition: Meanwhile Ferrari is going back to their Italian roots, which leads to weird mistakes and performance imbalances. On the other hand Mercedes has a thoroughly German working method which is close to perfection."

+1

What's India's population now.....1.2 or 1.5 billion people??

Depending on the metric used, India is indeed one of the poorest nations on earth.

If we judge by GDP per capita, India is projected to be the 19th poorest country on earth:
    https://www.focus-economics.com/blog...s-in-the-world

While India has only recently been overtaken(by Nigeria) as the country with the largest number of people living in extreme poverty
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/26/a...ntl/index.html

So why the uproar? Hamilton has not said anything that is factually incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCHEY View Post
    Depending on the metric used, India is indeed one of the poorest nations on earth.

If we judge by GDP per capita, India is projected to be the 19th poorest country on earth:
    https://www.focus-economics.com/blog...s-in-the-world

While India has only recently been overtaken(by Nigeria) as the country with the largest number of people living in extreme poverty
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/26/a...ntl/index.html

So why the uproar? Hamilton has not said anything that is factually incorrect.
    Maybe coming from now a 5x WDC, it should have been said "behind closed doors" and out of the the public media???? just sayin. Other F1 drivers have not said anything to the media regarding India's economic status. He also has issues with Vietnam. What, now since he's won 5 titles, all of a sudden he gets to dictate what other countries can or cannot do with regards to F1 or how maybe Liberty wants to venture in those markets and has a "poor" say to the media about said countries or Liberty?? I wonder what he'll say if Liberty wants to venture into Africa.......again.

The BBC made this public so did he go into this interview with his eye's closed???? Maybe he'll think twice about interviews with the BBC when it comes to situations like this about other countries economic status. I'm sure Mercedes will have a say with him since Mercedes do sell their vehicles in India. Did he not think of the ramifications to his employer of said country???

Maybe coming from now a 5x WDC, it should have been said "behind closed doors" and out of the the public media???? just sayin. Other F1 drivers have not said anything to the media regarding India's economic status. He also has issues with Vietnam. What, now since he's won 5 titles, all of a sudden he gets to dictate what other countries can or cannot do with regards to F1 or how maybe Liberty wants to venture in those markets and has a "poor" say to the media about said countries or Liberty?? I wonder what he'll say if Liberty wants to venture into Africa.......again.

The BBC made this public so did he go into this interview with his eye's closed???? Maybe he'll think twice about interviews with the BBC when it comes to situations like this about other countries economic status. I'm sure Mercedes will have a say with him since Mercedes do sell their vehicles in India. Did he not think of the ramifications to his employer of said country???
    He's entitled to express his opinion. Why should it have to be confined behind closed doors? Alonso did similar in 2012. He made public comments about the economic situations in certain European countries. Hamilton isn't the first driver to do this, and he certainly won't be the the last. I haven't listened to Hamilton's interview, but from what i gather, he is simply questioning the merits of expanding the number races on the calendar? Well to be fair, alot of fans would agree with him. For example, if you look at the last GPDA global fan survey(in 2017), the vast majority fans who participated, were strongly in favour of a 19-21 race season. That's been the clear, consistent fan preference since 2006. So Hamilton is simply echoing what many of us already think. He's simply suggesting that Liberty should be encouraged to embrace racing heritage, urge them to concentrate their efforts on boosting the sport in F1's more "traditional"venues, rather than expanding elsewhere. And quite frankly, many F1 fans agree with him https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3...-announcement/
    Last edited by ROCHEY; 14th November 2018 at 22:06.

Lewis'main issue is not against any country, we fans agree F-1 is probably the most stressful; enduring sport any athlete can be in. Adding races; taking away off time for R&R ,and just recuperating from all that goes with driving F-1 , is his main objection. Liberty sees more races as $$ honey! I personally would love less winter break , more races as a"Fan attic !", but I for sure agree with Lewis wanting enough driver time off is cool. F-E may well be the cure come break time. Felipe & others !!

He's entitled to express his opinion. Why should it have to be confined behind closed doors? Alonso did similar in 2012. He made public comments about the economic situations in certain European countries. Hamilton isn't the first driver to do this, and he certainly won't be the the last. I haven't listened to Hamilton's interview, but from what i gather, he is simply questioning the merits of expanding the number races on the calendar? Well to be fair, alot of fans would agree with him. For example, if you look at the last GPDA global fan survey(in 2017), the vast majority fans who participated, were strongly in favour of a 19-21 race season. That's been the clear, consistent fan preference since 2006. So Hamilton is simply echoing what many of us already think. He's simply suggesting that Liberty should be encouraged to embrace racing heritage, urge them to concentrate their efforts on boosting the sport in F1's more "traditional"venues, rather than expanding elsewhere. And quite frankly, many F1 fans agree with him https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3...-announcement/
    Understood but calling a country poor where your employer sells vehicles is not in the best interest of the company. Whether F1 decides to go beyond 20 GPs per season is irrelevent and of course he's entitled to his own opinion with regards to to how many GP's but to say that a country is poor is pretty much saying out of the billion plus people in India, no one has an interest and will not spend money in F1. How the heck does he know that??? What do you think MB dealerships in India (franchised) would say about that?? Don't you think they would make some phone calls to MB HQ and lodge some type of complaint??? You think MB HQ would let this go by the wayside?? Of course not. MB has a reputation to uphold regardless what Lewis thinks about a "poor" country.

And today in the British papers Lewis wants 2 British GP's!!! Which is it sunshine??? Too many GP's or you'll quit or just the way they are??? Make up your mind!
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 14th November 2018 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Lewis'main issue is not against any country, we fans agree F-1 is probably the most stressful; enduring sport any athlete can be in. Adding races; taking away off time for R&R ,and just recuperating from all that goes with driving F-1 , is his main objection. Liberty sees more races as $$ honey! I personally would love less winter break , more races as a"Fan attic !", but I for sure agree with Lewis wanting enough driver time off is cool. F-E may well be the cure come break time. Felipe & others !!
    Lewis also said that F1 has robbed him of his life!!!! Duuuuh. Did he not know this going into the sport??? Why did you get in it to begin with given the season, at the time he said this, had 19 or 20 GP's per season.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 14th November 2018 at 23:01.

Lewis also said that F1 has robbed him of his life!!!! Duuuuh. Did he not know this going into the sport??? Why did you get in it to begin with given the season, at the time he said this, had 19 or 20 GP's per season.
    i wish i was in his shoes and F1 to rob me off my life, while i laugh all the way to the bank having hundreds and hundreds of millions of $$$$$$$$$$......OH, don't i WISH......
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    i wish i was in his shoes and F1 to rob me off my life, while i laugh all the way to the bank having hundreds and hundreds of millions of $$$$$$$$$$......OH, don't i WISH......
    You and me both. Bring it!!! I'd be all James Hunt about it too....the female side of it of course.

Understood but calling a country poor where your employer sells vehicles is not in the best interest of the company. Whether F1 decides to go beyond 20 GPs per season is irrelevent and of course he's entitled to his own opinion with regards to to how many GP's but to say that a country is poor is pretty much saying out of the billion plus people in India, no one has an interest and will not spend money in F1. How the heck does he know that??? What do you think MB dealerships in India (franchised) would say about that?? Don't you think they would make some phone calls to MB HQ and lodge some type of complaint??? You think MB HQ would let this go by the wayside?? Of course not. MB has a reputation to uphold regardless what Lewis thinks about a "poor" country.
    "I've been to India before to a race which was strange because India was such a poor place yet we had this massive, beautiful grand prix track made in the middle of nowhere.
    I felt very conflicted when I went to that grand prix.”

Why the upset about this? He's always maintained this view? This is what he said in an interview back in 2013.

"The Indian Grand Prix is not on the calendar next year and there is a lot of talk at the moment that this might be the last time F1 comes to the country.
    I find myself in conflict about that. A lot of money has been spent building this massive track with a huge road leading to it, yet just outside there are people living on the street.
    On the other hand, the track employs people, while the race itself brings tourists to India and raises awareness of the country.
    It will be a shame if we don't come back. All that money would have been spent to build this great facility and it would be left to sit and rot.
    There is so much more they could do with this place. Imagine if they opened it to loads of kids and got them into the sport. I'm sure there are things we could do to make this race one of the most amazing in F1
    ."

IMO, you are attributing far too much to Hamilton's latest comments. India is a nation of extremes, including extreme poverty. And as a Unicef Ambassador who has worked on poverty projects throughout India, i would argue Hamilton is well placed to give his views on poverty in India. I think you are overreacting. Perhaps it's better if we just agree to differ.

+1

"I've been to India before to a race which was strange because India was such a poor place yet we had this massive, beautiful grand prix track made in the middle of nowhere.
    I felt very conflicted when I went to that grand prix.”

Why the upset about this? He's always maintained this view? This is what he said in an interview back in 2013.

"The Indian Grand Prix is not on the calendar next year and there is a lot of talk at the moment that this might be the last time F1 comes to the country.
    I find myself in conflict about that. A lot of money has been spent building this massive track with a huge road leading to it, yet just outside there are people living on the street.
    On the other hand, the track employs people, while the race itself brings tourists to India and raises awareness of the country.
    It will be a shame if we don't come back. All that money would have been spent to build this great facility and it would be left to sit and rot.
    There is so much more they could do with this place. Imagine if they opened it to loads of kids and got them into the sport. I'm sure there are things we could do to make this race one of the most amazing in F1
    ."

IMO, you are attributing far too much to Hamilton's latest comments. India is a nation of extremes, including extreme poverty. And as a Unicef Ambassador who has worked on poverty projects throughout India, i would argue Hamilton is well placed to give his views on poverty in India. I think you are overreacting. Perhaps it's better if we just agree to differ.
    Don’t know wt u r up against???
    But clearly your post seems to be one sided.
    Budh international circuit is at the heart of the state. Which belongs to capital of India. There was lot of craze & business when F1 was announced. But government system in India is an utter distress, due to high tax pay its been held off.
    There are lot of political motives surrounded with the event, at the same time past government was already involved in common wealth games scam. So Wtever new thing or event is triggering there is a political agenda or allegations surrounded to it. That’s the only factor. There’s a lot of craze till date, for your reference there’s a F1H2O powerboat racing being held in our new state Andhra Pradesh Amaravati in the next 2days. Almost 19 countries are participating in this event. Which itself says a lot just for new state.

Coming to poor nation comment. Every country is bounded to its merits & demerits. Here agricultural sector is major backbone of the country. Unfortunately political parties have been utilising them just as a vote bank rather than development & also. My country talent is crossing the nation to settle in abroad rather than returning back to lead economic growth.

We have a strong economic sector, during the inflation/world crisis 2008-2010 lot of countries suffered downfall but India didn’t. It has very small impact on it, which says the base is very strong.

I believe he means all he thinks about is that his F-1 career is his life. And he's not complaining; just telling it like it is. Not every thing is as he would like it but he's the man for now. I'm sure ex. a pro boxer knew he would be getting punched out , even knocked out, before he went into the sport. That's what sports are all about , doing what you want and in some cases like Lewis, becoming a champion. That's the "Life" they choose.

It could be just that Hamilton is upset, F1 came to India 3 years in a row and he was never able to win race, Vettel was the winner all 3 times.

On a side note, Buddha International Circuit is highly rated by current F1 drivers and if F1 comes back here, management can drive enough revenue because of excellent F1 support base unlike UK where Silverstone is waving good bye to F1.

Well well well, He (or more than likely from Mercedes) finally came to his senses.

Hamilton clarified his words about India: "I love that country"-

https://soymotor.com/noticias/hamilt...se-pais-957010

Why the upset about this?

It would seem me and @nani_s23 are'nt the only ones criticizing Lewis for his comment about his statement towards India.

Wolff: “Unbelievable” how Hamilton’s comments get twisted out of context

Hamilton in hot water over India comments

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has issued a statement backing Lewis Hamilton after the driver was criticised on social media for comments viewed as being derogatory about India.

Lewis Hamilton drew the wrath of social media on Thursday when comments he made about India were picked up on. Questioning the need to increase the amount of races on the F1 calendar, Hamilton referred to India as a ‘poor country’. Hamilton raced in all three Indian Grands Prix, which were held at the Buddh International Circuit from 2011 to 2013, before tax issues with the local government saw the sport withdraw from the country.

Hamilton took to his Instagram on Thursday afternoon to clarify what he meant:

“Hey everyone. I noticed some people are upset with my comment on India. First off, india is one of the most beautiful places in the world. The culture there is incredible. I have visited and always had an amazing time however whilst its the fasted (sic) growing economy it also has a lot of poverty. My reference was that a Grand Prix there felt strange to drive past homeless people and then arrive in a huge arena where money was not an issue.”

“They spent hundreds of millions on that track that is now never used. That money could have been spent on schools or homes for those in need. When we did have the race, nobody came because it was too expensive most likely or no interest. However I have met some amazing Indian fans.”

Mercedes too have issued a statement on Twitter, with Toto Wolff condemning people for twisting the meaning of Hamilton’s words into something more nefarious:

“It is once again unbelievable to me how the words and the meaning of Lewis get spun out of context in this way. He spoke with empathy about India and the painful contrast between wealth and poverty that we face while travelling the globe as sporting ambassadors.”

”Lewis did not criticise the nation and his words were those of a thoughtful and considered champion. The only fault here lies with the people who have twisted his words to mean something else entirely.”

https://formulaspy.com/formula-1/wol...medium=twitter