Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021223358 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    1.) RIGGHHHT - so spending anywhere from $5 to $10 million USD per hybrid PU is more cost effective!!!! a simple V-8 turbo w/kers is around $500k USD. You could use 10 per season and still not come close to the current hybrid PU's used per season.

2.) Against who? Mercedes? If so it's because Mercedes dialed down the engine (once in the lead) to save it for the next race.

3.) If you make the engines simpler and cheaper, you will drive down costs.

4.) Then why all the rules in this current hybrid formula. The cars pretty much look the same the only difference is the hybrid PU; and even then, Mercedes and Ferrari have secret modes that only THEY have access to, the other teams that they supply engines too DO NOT. I wonder why that is??? I don't think thats fair. About the only manufacturer that has not done this is Renault hence RedBull beats them in race pace, quali.
    1)They would blow more up with unlimited testing, and no teams want unlimited testing.

2) LOL yeah they dialled it down to let us get close, behave. Ferrari followed a lot of cars through the season not just Merc but anyone knows that.

3) Yep which is why they are now limited, which is the point.

4) Cars do not look all the same quite clearly so not sure why you would try and suggest they do.
    Forza Ferrari

About the only manufacturer that has not done this is Renault hence RedBull beats them in race pace, quali.
    RB beats Renault because RB has by far a more superior chassis. The cars do not really look all the same if you pay attention to details.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Really??!!
    Do you think that porsche and VAG!!!!! would want to compete in a pure motosport championship without any road relevance technology???!!!
    Then why would both parties send representatives to the meetings given the formula for 2021 which is going for a much simpler and cheaper hybrid PU; doing away with the MGU-H which is the most complex part of this hybrid PU.

Porsche is in WEC in both classes. One is Prototype where they did all their R&D in hybrid tech and the other is GT(no hybrid tech there).

Lambo is in Blancpain series - no hybrid tech there

Then why would both parties send representatives to the meetings given the formula for 2021 which is going for a much simpler and cheaper hybrid PU; doing away with the MGU-H which is the most complex part of this hybrid PU.

Porsche is in WEC in both classes. One is Prototype where they did all their R&D in hybrid tech and the other is GT(no hybrid tech there).

Lambo is in Blancpain series - no hybrid tech there
    GT class and blacpain are both lower cost categories. F1 is another world and they dont whant to spend hundreds of millions just to go racing.And yes they wanted cheaper engines because the budget to compete now (for the championship) is too much for them.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    And yes they wanted cheaper engines because the budget to compete now (for the championship) is too much for them.
    These companies can probably figure out a budget to race in today's F1 but just don't want to bother or think it's not commercially efficient enough. Who cares, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault and Honda is enough when it comes to engine manufacturers. If these other companies want to race, they better grow some balls.

In todays "road relevance" cars have or are going to take away the driving. Todays cars and future cars are getting "greener" with more green(full electric) on the horizon. There are park assist, drive assist with forward, side and rear "lidars" to assist the driver, sat/nav computer infotainment centers mounted in the center console. Some cars drive themselves while Joe/Jane Public are on the phones talking/surfing the web while the kids are watching T.V. in the car via Netflix, Hulu or any satellite TV station.

Where does F1, as a true motorsport, fit into all this entertainment, driver assist computerized and electric road relevance technology???

I remember Senna's McLaren MP4/8A was Ford powered.

In todays "road relevance" cars have or are going to take away the driving. Todays cars and future cars are getting "greener" with more green(full electric) on the horizon. There are park assist, drive assist with forward, side and rear "lidars" to assist the driver, sat/nav computer infotainment centers mounted in the center console. Some cars drive themselves while Joe/Jane Public are on the phones talking/surfing the web while the kids are watching T.V. in the car via Netflix, Hulu or any satellite TV station.

Where does F1, as a true motorsport, fit into all this entertainment, driver assist computerized and electric road relevance technology???
    Incorporating advanced technology in F1 does not include autonomous tech.

In Barcelona too!!
    Attachment 7356
    Attachment 7357
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Incorporating advanced technology in F1 does not include autonomous tech.
    Ha ha, that would definitely be the end of motor-racing if the cars became autonomous, unfortunately this will surely happen and I hope I'm not around to witness it.

RB beats Renault because RB has by far a more superior chassis. The cars do not really look all the same if you pay attention to details.
    They don't if you are an avid F1 fan. But if you are F1 and trying to attract new fans then some differentiation would be a good thing. I also agree that simpler engines with some hybrid tech is what F1 needs. These Pu's are too complicated and expensive. go back to V8's with Kers or let teams have options between v8 or small turbo v6. Also have to stop tire & fuel saving. Probably won't happen but bring back refueling by mandating smaller gas tanks, forcing teams to have to stop 2-3 times. Have simpler refueling methods instead of the massive fuel rigs they use to have. This would make teams want to develop more fuel efficient engines and knowing they have to stop, can use softer tires and actually race ball out between stops.

ThaT track has been resurfaced not too lon ago, NO?
    I mean a couple or so years ago when the new pit entry and garages were redone and relocated. So the asphalt has been deteriorated already that they had to have resurfaced?
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Probably won't happen but bring back refueling by mandating smaller gas tanks, forcing teams to have to stop 2-3 times. Have simpler refueling methods instead of the massive fuel rigs they use to have.
    Interesting idea, but it won't look good for marketing purposes regarding fuel efficiency. They want to see cars making the distance without refueling.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Ha ha, that would definitely be the end of motor-racing if the cars became autonomous, unfortunately this will surely happen and I hope I'm not around to witness it.
    We will definitely see a racing championship with autonomous cars, but i doubt that will be F1. And i doubt autonomous racing will become widely popular.

Am I the only one that feels there is not a lot of news coming out about Ferrari this year? I guess they cracked down on the leaks, which is a good thing....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Am I the only one that feels there is not a lot of news coming out about Ferrari this year? I guess they cracked down on the leaks, which is a good thing....
    Yap, most of the news come from the team itself and not from outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    ThaT track has been resurfaced not too lon ago, NO?
    I mean a couple or so years ago when the new pit entry and garages were redone and relocated. So the asphalt has been deteriorated already that they had to have resurfaced?

those pics were taken 2 days ago, so yes it's getting a another resurface.

Interesting idea, but it won't look good for marketing purposes regarding fuel efficiency. They want to see cars making the distance without refueling.

We will definitely see a racing championship with autonomous cars, but i doubt that will be F1. And i doubt autonomous racing will become widely popular.
    I think they only got rid of refueling because of cost and issues with the rigs. Use a simple gravity refuel system like Nascar. cost & reliability issues resolved. I don't think any fan really cares how much fuel these cars use.

Well Roborace driverless electric racing car is already doing it first tests...

https://roborace.com/

new gravel? interesting, as a few years ago all tracks were literally FORCED by F1 / FIA to remove the gravel traps?????
    what the hell is going on?

Bad news for German F1 fans: Sky Germany (pay-tv) confirmed today it will NOT show any F1 races this season. So it looks like the races will be broadcasted only on RTL (free-tv) with ad breaks.

#AMuS

Bad news for German F1 fans: Sky Germany (pay-tv) confirmed today it will NOT show any F1 races this season. So it looks like the races will be broadcasted only on RTL (free-tv) with ad breaks.

#AMuS
    F1's popularity in Germany is going down for some time now, so no wonder. It will be interesting to see the attendance in Hockenheim this year.

F1's popularity in Germany is going down for some time now, so no wonder. It will be interesting to see the attendance in Hockenheim this year.
    That doesn't bode well for the future and if Sky Germany aren't showing any races especially with a German driver in a Ferrari as a possible champion and Mercedes as current champion constructor. Maybe the Merc dominance in recent years has made the public lose interest. It still seems a strange decision by Sky, they make enough money out of UK subscribers, I only subscribe to get live F1 races and pay dearly for the privilege.

That doesn't bode well for the future and if Sky Germany aren't showing any races especially with a German driver in a Ferrari as a possible champion and Mercedes as current champion constructor. Maybe the Merc dominance in recent years has made the public lose interest. It still seems a strange decision by Sky, they make enough money out of UK subscribers, I only subscribe to get live F1 races and pay dearly for the privilege.
    It looks like they are not doing so well in Germany. And yeah, it's very weird considering they have a German in a Ferrari as a title contender and plus a German manufacturer dominating the last 4 years. I can't see how Merc dominance can hurt this, it's still a German team. I really can't describe why F1's popularity in Germany is going down.

By the way, what about Channel 4? Are they less expensive than Sky? Or are they free TV?

#AMuS
    So sad for German fans. As had already been mentioned (Wisepie) Merc is the current champion and Seb a potential champion why would they do that?
    Also Hulkenberg is no slouch. Maybe Merc dominance has caused a lack of interest. Still on a positive note they will still have RTL.

Forza Jules

Pretty sure RTL shows the race along with the ads....
    Forza Ferrari

It looks like they are not doing so well in Germany. And yeah, it's very weird considering they have a German in a Ferrari as a title contender and plus a German manufacturer dominating the last 4 years. I can't see how Merc dominance can hurt this, it's still a German team. I really can't describe why F1's popularity in Germany is going down.

By the way, what about Channel 4? Are they less expensive than Sky? Or are they free TV?
    Channel 4 is free.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Pretty sure RTL shows the race along with the ads....
    Yes they are. I remember when I used to watch races on RTL, their ads blocks are enormous long.... Thankfully here in Serbia we have Sport Klub which is broadcasting throughout whole weekend without ads

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Yes they are. I remember when I used to watch races on RTL, their ads blocks are enormous long.... Thankfully here in Serbia we have Sport Klub which is broadcasting throughout whole weekend without ads
    in Bosnia as well ..........Who would thought we have something better than Germans