Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920213257 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 F1 news

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ross needs to call Ferrari's, Mercedes, and Renault's bluff. IF all 3 leave....so freakin what!!! You have other manufacturers wanting to join a simpler and cheaper (mainly the PU) F1. Manufacturers like Porsche, VAG, heck even Ford expressed an interest in F1 if it was simpler and cheaper. Honda would definitely be a player. You also have a couple engine builders wanting to join as well.

Of the 3 that leave, Ferrari will either suck it up or come back. It's in their blood.

Start on a semi clean slate with aero, PU, fuel flow rates, unlimited testing , infinite engines(okay maybe 10 or so), etc. etc.

Ford expressed its interest? Please, Ford wouldn’t last a season in F1.......lol
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Ford expressed its interest? Please, Ford wouldn’t last a season in F1.......lol
    Well, Cosworth also has expressed interests in F1, with backing of course from either Aston Martin or Ford given a simpler and cheaper F1 in 2021. That would'nt be a bad combination would it???? Ford and Cosworth???

Well, Cosworth also has expressed interests in F1, with backing of course from either Aston Martin or Ford given a simpler and cheaper F1 in 2021. That would'nt be a bad combination would it???? Ford and Cosworth???
    Yeah I guess
    But the big guns like merc and ferrari won’t settle for cheaper engines, not after spending 100’s of millions to be where they are now
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Yeah I guess
    But the big guns like merc and ferrari won’t settle for cheaper engines, not after spending 100’s of millions to be where they are now
    AGREED!!! and totally understand Merc's and Ferrari's vested financial interests in this current hybrid formula, along with Renaults. I too would push things my way if I spent X amount of USD and things were going my way knowing I had a vast amount of resources at my disposal.

I don't care about the fans or what Ross Brawn thinks. I'm winning. I'm in it for my own personal gain(stockholders)...road relevance. I can leave whenever I want. I've got one foot in the door and the other out the door ready to step in another arena; again for my own personal gain as I see electric is the future. People will buy my product in all ranges of vehicles(cars, SUV's, truck/semi's) cuz of what my product represents. I can threaten to leave and take my engines with me.

Who's runnin the show in this hybrid era? The manufacturer or manufacturers or F1?

The prancing horse is a symbol of free spirit that hold no barriers ferrari dna is to build cars that are cutting edge in every aspect unique sexy and very fast thats why they are big bucks never will they race against common cars.

Manufacturers like Porsche, VAG, heck even Ford expressed an interest in F1 if it was simpler and cheaper. Honda would definitely be a player. You also have a couple engine builders wanting to join as well.
    Indy car sounds more up their street or even stock car.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    A rendering of a new desing for 2018!!!
    What's your opinion???
    Attachment 7355
    I vote for this!

With Santander out and Marlboro switching to IQOS it looks gorgeous with the black - mettalic red accent.

Nice work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I still think that some aspects of F1 should be made simpler on cost and technical grounds. Making the front wings simpler would hopefully allow cars to follow more closely and overtake more easily, so I am disappointed that Ferrari have vetoed this, unless they know something we don't! The 3 engine rule is also going to penalise a lot of drivers when I believe it should be the constructors who take the pain from engine penalties. I'm not against technical advancement but it is supposed to be motor-racing, not a fight to see who can be most technically advanced.
    last season, Ferrari was able to follow another car closely and not affect the car’s performance negatively. maybe they don’t want to give the competition this advantage with this rule?

Horsepower gets you pole, then the 1st place driver needs to bring the car home.

Everything going electric will be very sad but inevitable, FE may be the future but I don't believe it will ever create the same passion amongst F1 fans, if there are any left by then!.
    Last edited by wisepie; 21st January 2018 at 17:40.

The problem F1 has/is facing, has been bought on its self. Al team voted for these engines, sorry PUs. Ferrari could of vetoed it. But then would of faced backlash for trying to stop F1 becoming "more road relevant" The main issue, is the MGU-H parts. They are the most expensive and complex. Theres not really any need to have these parts on. MGH-K, fiar enough, thats the kinetic part, thats what is more "road relevant". Now, F1 teams dont really want to drop these engines because of all the horrendous amounts of money they have wasted, sorry spent and ruined F1 on them.

Look at Honda, meant be cost saving, meant have engines last 5 odd races, but they were changing all the PU nearly every race weekend. Spendong so so so much money on them and for the cars to retire, most of the time. What did they show others like Ford, Aston Martin? apart from you may aswell get your F1 budget and throw it down the loo.

Talking of Ford, they will not return. What will F1 do for them? their GT40s are/have been doing well in IMSA, WEC and even winning Le-Mans. Aston? now thats just a badge labeling exercise, with abit of R&D. But as for them entering? i cannt see it happening, unless there is a complete reset engine rules and dropping the hybrid altogether.

FE doesnt not have massive fan following, at moment. But they are looking at ways to change that, starting next year. Yes, the noise isnt what we all like, but its good close exciting racing. They will never go to proper race tracks because that isnt what they are looking to do, as their main objective is to be different form normal racing series.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    FE doesnt not have massive fan following, at moment. But they are looking at ways to change that, starting next year. Yes, the noise isnt what we all like, but its good close exciting racing. They will never go to proper race tracks because that isnt what they are looking to do, as their main objective is to be different form normal racing series.
    That was a very honest appraisal of the current situation in F1 Rob thank you for that.
    The manufacturers in F1 are there to raise awareness of themselves and in so doing hope it will help to sell their cars! As you said Ford have no need to be there!!!
    I agree with you about FE and its fan following. I think that will increase as the formula gains more street cred. There are a lot of things to like aka the fans get much nearer to the drivers during the podium presentations. Also I believe that drivers and teams are more accessible during pre season testing which is very reasonable if you want to gain admission. I also like the fan interaction re fanboost. I think formula E has a lot going for it but still needs to grow up. After all it's only in its 4th year.

Forza Jules

A few more former F1 drivers and "Away we go!!"

no thread this year for the new car ??

This thread is effectively it, maybe it will become the car thread.

Some news from Turrini:

1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.

2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).

3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.

4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.

5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.

6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.

7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turr...er-unit-5.4824

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    Some news from Turrini:

1) They made a big effort to lighten the new power-unit. According to Turrini this was one of Mercedes advantages.

2) Looks like they reached their goal (about PU weight).

3) On the dyno they reached 1000hp.

4) According to Turrini Mercedes was already at 1000hp.

5) The current "conditions" (weight & power) are the ones that Ferrari was hoping to have at the end of summer 2017, but it didn't work out.

6) Windtunnel results are showing an important step forward, he says to take this with a pinch of salt though.

7) Only the first Barcelona tests will be able to confirm all this.

https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turr...er-unit-5.4824
    yep, taking all this with a pinch of salt.

How relevant is Turrini?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    How relevant is Turrini?
    Irrelevant. Presents himself like a guy full of inside information but last year said the car was a disaster and Ferrari were even designing a completely different B spec of the car to come before mid season. All is information proved to be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nuni View Post
    Irrelevant. Presents himself like a guy full of inside information but last year said the car was a disaster and Ferrari were even designing a completely different B spec of the car to come before mid season. All is information proved to be completely wrong.
    Oh yeah, i remember that article last year. This guy is a joke then

Quote Originally Posted by nuni View Post
    This is not true.he said he had no reliable informations concerning the 2017 challenger and knowing how usualy italians reacts he thought it's was a bad sign for the championship.
    Concerning the b car he only just said the team was evaluating different wheelbase.

Force India will reveal new team name & logo during launch event at Barcelona (Feb 25). AMuS (German)

Force India will reveal new team name & logo during launch event at Barcelona (Feb 25). AMuS (German)
    That's interesting. We know they are not allowed to use Force One because FOM deems it confusing with the championship's name, so let''s see what they came up with.

Ross needs to call Ferrari's, Mercedes, and Renault's bluff. IF all 3 leave....so freakin what!!! You have other manufacturers wanting to join a simpler and cheaper (mainly the PU) F1. Manufacturers like Porsche, VAG, heck even Ford expressed an interest in F1 if it was simpler and cheaper. Honda would definitely be a player. You also have a couple engine builders wanting to join as well.

Of the 3 that leave, Ferrari will either suck it up or come back. It's in their blood.

Start on a semi clean slate with aero, PU, fuel flow rates, unlimited testing , infinite engines(okay maybe 10 or so), etc. etc.
    By all means...
    As I 've said before, "Which F1 are we talking about? ", is the question at hand. If you refer to an F1 that is a specs series with teams that have nothing to do with Mercedes and Ferrari, that Honda is supposed to be a serious team whereas right now is the laughing stock of the field, sure, there could be such an F1 after Merc and Ferrari deserted this sport.
    Then again, soon after people would be thinking back to the F1 of the past and would cry...
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    By all means...
    As I 've said before, "Which F1 are we talking about? ", is the question at hand. If you refer to an F1 that is a specs series with teams that have nothing to do with Mercedes and Ferrari, that Honda is supposed to be a serious team whereas right now is the laughing stock of the field, sure, there could be such an F1 after Merc and Ferrari deserted this sport.
    Then again, soon after people would be thinking back to the F1 of the past and would cry...

How about an F1 with:

1.) unlimited testing - Honda have gone through 62 to 65 engines since it started (2015) this hybrid era....that's an engine per race per year NOT INCLUDING the one's dyno'ed. Had there been unlimited testing, Honda's dismall performance would probably have been cut in half.

2.) Token system (started 2014 ended 2016 into 2017) - example No.1 plus most teams et. al. Ferrari and Renault would be up in horsepower taking it to the "Galactic Empire."

3.) Aero regs - get rid of DRS; its fake overtaking. Plus the front wing and rear diffuser elements because cars cannot follow closely.

3.) Reliability - REALLY? 3 engine components per season???? REALLY??

4.) Let's face it, given all the rules and regs, in retrospect, F1 is sorta of a spec. series with no margin for innovation ESPECIALLY in the PU dept.

Let Ferrari and Mercedes (really Mercedes) and possibly Renault start their own series of F1 where they can use whatever tech they want for road relevance. Let others like Porsche, VAG, possibly Ford and Manor (yes, they want to come back) on top of RedBull, Toro Rosso and Force India make F1 a true MOTORSPORT where it's ball's out racing without having to worry about reliability, efficiency, gas mileage and massive costs(mostly the hybrid PU) all due to road relevance.

1) they would have used more engines, no teams want unlimited testing as they don't want to spend the money doing so.

2) Ferrari seemed to follow ok last year, maybe others can change design.....

3) Not really going to be much of an issue, teams dont want to use a new engine every race again due to costs

4) LOL no
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1) they would have used more engines, no teams want unlimited testing as they don't want to spend the money doing so.

2) Ferrari seemed to follow ok last year, maybe others can change design.....

3) Not really going to be much of an issue, teams dont want to use a new engine every race again due to costs

4) LOL no

1.) RIGGHHHT - so spending anywhere from $5 to $10 million USD per hybrid PU is more cost effective!!!! a simple V-8 turbo w/kers is around $500k USD. You could use 10 per season and still not come close to the current hybrid PU's used per season.

2.) Against who? Mercedes? If so it's because Mercedes dialed down the engine (once in the lead) to save it for the next race.

3.) If you make the engines simpler and cheaper, you will drive down costs.

4.) Then why all the rules in this current hybrid formula. The cars pretty much look the same the only difference is the hybrid PU; and even then, Mercedes and Ferrari have secret modes that only THEY have access to, the other teams that they supply engines too DO NOT. I wonder why that is??? I don't think thats fair. About the only manufacturer that has not done this is Renault hence RedBull beats them in race pace, quali.

Let others like Porsche, VAG, possibly Ford and Manor (yes, they want to come back) on top of RedBull, Toro Rosso and Force India make F1 a true MOTORSPORT where it's ball's out racing without having to worry about reliability, efficiency, gas mileage and massive costs(mostly the hybrid PU) all due to road relevance.
    Really??!!
    Do you think that porsche and VAG!!!!! would want to compete in a pure motosport championship without any road relevance technology???!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

How about an F1 with:

1.) unlimited testing - Honda have gone through 62 to 65 engines since it started (2015) this hybrid era....that's an engine per race per year NOT INCLUDING the one's dyno'ed. Had there been unlimited testing, Honda's dismall performance would probably have been cut in half.

2.) Token system (started 2014 ended 2016 into 2017) - example No.1 plus most teams et. al. Ferrari and Renault would be up in horsepower taking it to the "Galactic Empire."

3.) Aero regs - get rid of DRS; its fake overtaking. Plus the front wing and rear diffuser elements because cars cannot follow closely.

3.) Reliability - REALLY? 3 engine components per season???? REALLY??

4.) Let's face it, given all the rules and regs, in retrospect, F1 is sorta of a spec. series with no margin for innovation ESPECIALLY in the PU dept.

Let Ferrari and Mercedes (really Mercedes) and possibly Renault start their own series of F1 where they can use whatever tech they want for road relevance. Let others like Porsche, VAG, possibly Ford and Manor (yes, they want to come back) on top of RedBull, Toro Rosso and Force India make F1 a true MOTORSPORT where it's ball's out racing without having to worry about reliability, efficiency, gas mileage and massive costs(mostly the hybrid PU) all due to road relevance.
    I agree about your points regarding unlimited testing and more engines per season. However, i don't agree about the rest because F1 must remain developing top notch technology with some road relevance for the future. That's why F1 is special, this is actually the foundation of F1. And no, F1 is not sort of a spec series now because there's a huge difference between Force India's chassis and Merc for example. Hell, there's even a huge difference between Ferrari's chassis and Mercedes. The thing i agree the most with you is that F1 must change front wing design to allow cars follow each other more easily.