Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 WEC,IMSA and ELMS thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Press conference today at WEC. Pictures of the cars outside....yes it is snowing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgrSX0AAwbXR.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgraXUAEiyYj.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgrTXUAENOGU.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVl8SCMWkAAoAeS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVliWsqW0AE_cxQ.jpg

also

WEC moves Fuji race date for Alonso, but creates controversial IMSA clash per Autosport.

and

WEC reveals 10-car LMP1 field for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours as well as 2018/19 superseason per Autosport.
    Toyota wanted Fuji moved as wanted Fernando to race their home race. IMSA, may move Petit race date. If not, think the drivers who are contracted to drives in IMSA, will have a long weekend.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

10 LMP1s and not a diesel in sight. I can't wait; even the whiff of Alonso won't put me off. I just hope that Toyota haven't taken things too lightly over the winter and the non hybrid LMP1s don't get too much of a concession. I hate BoP and hope it does not become the scourge of LMP1 as it has elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    10 LMP1s and not a diesel in sight. I can't wait; even the whiff of Alonso won't put me off. I just hope that Toyota haven't taken things too lightly over the winter and the non hybrid LMP1s don't get too much of a concession. I hate BoP and hope it does not become the scourge of LMP1 as it has elsewhere.
    Toyota, lets face t have one hand on the WEC Titles this year. Le-Mans, as they have found out is altogether different beast. The BoP, only thing to "level" LMP1s is fuel. All LMP1s have same fuel and flow rate. But, what the others have over Toyota is, bodywork. Toyota can only use 1 bodywork for all season, while the others can swap at much as they like. Toyota know they have out right pace over the "privateers" i have sen them doing testing and practicing EVERY scenario that could go wrong at Le-Mans.

Fernando, knows he could be on the verge of a very rare thing, double FIA World championships.

WHo sais WEC was dead after Audi and Porsche left. This is what sportscars. endurance is about, not the big manufacturers, but small independent privateers. But, hats off to Toyota for their loyalty over the past few years.

As much as I respect the privateers, buying a chassis/engine off the shelf and operating a team around it doesn't capture my imagination. If LMP2 became the new LMP1, I would probably stop watching. Development and pushing the limits is why I've always been interested in the prototype category and one of the main reasons I follow F1.

Anyway, Toyota always manage to balls up something so I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic as ever. I hope they haven't made any sort of arrangement to favour the Alonso car at Le Mans. I would like to see Kobayashi/Conway/Lopez win, but whatever happens, I hope Alonso doesn't stink the place up and leave under a cloud as he always seems to do.

2018 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Presented by Advance Auto Parts Qualifying (Mar. 16, 2018 1hr 15min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRK7-sxnOo

2:30pm UK time is the start of Sebring 12 Hours for any that doesn’t know its free to watch also via : IMSA App on all platforms http://IMSA.tv

channel coverage schedule Sebring

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYfbOFNXcAArCs4.jpg

The #64 (Montecalvo) is on its roof....ouch!!!!...but he is okay

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYf8lGCX4AEzExY.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYf8rV2WAAAO6c_.jpg

IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship 2018 Sebring Montecalvo Flips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QdKxwgg6Q

Hour 1 update.

Prototype- No. 7 @Team_Penske Acura DPi of @RickyTaylorRace

GTLM- No. 24 @RLLracing @BMWUSARacing M8 GTE of @Jessekrohn

GTD- No. 15 @3GT_Racing Lexus RC F GT3 of @jackhawkrace

Twelve minutes into Hour 3, the No. 62 @risicomp Ferrari 488 GTE leads GTLM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    2:30pm UK time is the start of Sebring 12 Hours for any that doesn’t know its free to watch also via : IMSA App on all platforms http://IMSA.tv
    Thanks for that info, jgonzales, keeping an eye on Sebring and Punta del Este FE, just a week to go before it gets really serious!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Thanks for that info, jgonzales, keeping an eye on Sebring and Punta del Este FE, just a week to go before it gets really serious!
    also, MotoGP going on today too. At the moment, FE can take a back seat in my house.

Not the result we were hoping for in GTLM or GTD, one upside-down 488 was pretty bad too but thankfully no injuries. Had nearly forgotten Qatar MotoGP, thanks for the reminder! FE was actually a good close race for the win, but that whining noise is enough to drive me to the bottle.

Pastor Maldonado joins DragonSpeed for Super Season

Former F1 driver Pastor Maldonado will join DragonSpeed for the FIA WEC Super Season to drive the team’s No.31 ORECA 07-Gibson is LMP2.

The Venezuelan, winner of the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix with Williams, will drive DragonSpeed's LMP2 ORECA-Gibson 07 alongside previously announced Mexican, Roberto Gonzalez.

Maldonado, 33, is moving into endurance racing for the first time after two years on the side lines following his final F1 stint with Lotus.
    DragonSpeed's Gibson-powered BR Engineering BR1 will be raced in the WEC by Renger van der Zande, Ben Hanley and Henrik Hedman. Pietro Fittipaldi, 2017 World Series Formula V8 3.5 Series Champion, will contest the two WEC rounds for which van der Zande is unavailable

Great images, Rob, grazie, pity the results weren't more promising, especially in GTLM after a great start, but a podium in GTD was nice.

FIA WEC to return to São Paulo in 2019-20 season

The FIA World Endurance Championship is delighted to announce it will make a welcome return to the spiritual home of Brazilian endurance racing, Autódromo José Carlos Pace (Interlagos) in São Paulo, from the 2019-2020 season.

Announced today (22 March 2018) at a packed and enthusiastically received press conference in the Brazilian city, the 6-hour race will form part of a calendar which is due to be revealed this summer. A date for the 6 Hours of São Paulo will be communicated in due course, and it will mark a return for the WEC to the popular South American venue for the first time since 2014.

The announcement regarding the multi-year deal to stage the 6 Hours of São Paulo was made by WEC CEO Gérard Neveu and the new local promotion agency, N Duduch Motorsports, led by CEO Nicholas Duduch.

It was also announced that 2017 LMP2 Champion Bruno Senna, present at the press conference, will become an ambassador for the event. His deep involvement, together with the WEC race participation of other South American champions such as José María López from Toyota Gazoo Racing and Augusto Farfus of BMW Team MTEK, will help to ensure a successful and well-attended race weekend.

Photo caption below: Seated either side of Gerard Neveu of the WEC (centre) are Nicholas Duduch and Bruno Senna, also present are Mr Dadai, President of the CBA (Brazilian Motorsport Federation) and Joao Amaral representing the São Paulo Tourism department.

this years #51 #71 GTEs wil be unveiled this week.

Montoya Signs With United Autosports For 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours

His 'Triple Crown' run begins
    28 March 2018, 8:58 AM

With the required paperwork now signed it can now be confirmed that current Acura Team Penske star Juan Pablo Montoya will join United Autosports for the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours in the team’s LMP2 class #32 Ligier JS P217 Gibson LMP2 with Will Owen and Hugo de Sadeleer.

“I’m very excited about the opportunity to experience Le Mans and I’m looking forward to joining United Autosports after they had such a strong finish at Le Mans last year,” Montoya said. “I’ve always watched the race so I’m very happy to finally be part of it. Hopefully we can have a shot at a win.”

Auto Hebdo in France were the first to reveal that talks were underway between the 42 year old double Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix winning driver and the UK-based, US flagged team co-owned by Zak Brown and Richard Dean but the final agreement was a little longer in coming.

And there’s little doubt that the Colombian superstar has his eyes set on a potential future programme to challenge for an overall win to complete the elusive ‘Triple Crown’. He told RACER’s Marshall Pruett last week that “If I were to do it, it would be more towards the future to learn the track.”

In the past, Montoya tested with the now defunct Porsche LMP1 team at the post WEC season test at Bahrain in 2015 but no race deal emerged before the programme was ceased at the end of the 2017 season.

Montoya has an unusually diverse racing CV in the modern era: After taking the F3000 Championship he became the youngest ever winner in the Champcar Series the following year before a one off at Indianapolis in 2000 with Chiop Ganassi Racing yielded his first Indy 500 win. 

Six seasons in Formula One with Williams and McLaren yielded seven Grand Prix wins and 13 pole positions before Montoya shifted his focus back to the United States.

There was a pair of NASCAR Sprint Cup wins in a seven season spell with Ganassi in Stock cars, but that period also yielded three wins at the Rolex 24 Hours in 2007/8 and 2013, with a pair of second place finishes in 209 and 2011.

Indycar beckoned next as Montoya switched to Team Penske with three full time seasons seeing him take four race wins, second in the Championship in 2015 in a season that also yielded his second Indy 500 victory

“I watched Juan Pablo race against us at Daytona this year and was so impressed by him through the traffic, he definitely hasn’t lost any of his speed or determination,” concluded United team owner Richard Dean.

“He’s a great character so I have no doubt that he will fit into the team well at Le Mans. Although it will be his first Le Mans venture, he has a vast amount of racing experience, including wins at the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy 500, meaning this Le Mans venture could be a chance for him to win the triple crown of motorsport.

“Either way, I’m looking forward to welcoming Juan Pablo to the team.”

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-24-hours.html

Team Project 1 takes off its covers!

A welcome addition to the LMGTE Am class is the Porsche-associated organisation, Team Project 1, which has today revealed its colours for the No.56 911 RSR at the ultra-modern Porsche factory in Leipzig.

The German team, which is based just over 80 km from Bremen in North West Germany, is this year celebrating its 25th anniversary (#project25) and – with its entry to the FIA WEC Super Season – it’s biggest programme ever.

Team Project 1 enjoys a close collaboration with Porsche and one of its three drivers is long-time factory pilot Jörg Bergmeister (DEU) who brings his many years of experience to the line up alongside Patrick Lindsey (USA) and Egidio Perfetti (NOR).

The car’s livery represents the team’s 25 years in motorsport, and also shows its motto “Be cool, be fast, be first”. If the team lives by that saying, it should help it to reach its milestone aim of winning in LMGTE Am at the 24 Hours of Le Mans!

FIORANO DEBUT FOR THE 488 GTE 2018
    ferrari-media

Maranello, 30 March 2018 – Ferrari 488 GTEs no. 51 and 71 had their shakedown test on the Fiorano track ahead of the start of the 2018-19 Superseason of the World Endurance Championship (WEC). World champions James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi in no. 51, and Sam Bird and Davide Rigon in no. 71, will be competing in the six-hour races. The third drivers who will join the crews in the Superseason’s first of the two editions of the Le Mans 24 Hours are not yet confirmed.

Colours. The 2018 version of the 488 GTE for the WEC will appear in a new shade of metallic red. The windshield displays the colours of the world title won by Ferrari amongst both drivers and manufacturers in the GTE class’s debut season as a proper world championship. The cars will take part in the prologue at the Paul Ricard on April 6-7, a sort of general test ahead of their debut in the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday 5 May. Now in its third year in the WEC, the Ferrari 488 GTE has so far won two world championship titles and eleven races.

Last edited by Rob; 30th March 2018 at 19:55.

THE LMGTE-PRO CLASS CREWS
    ferrari--media
    Maranello, 4 April 2018 – Ferrari announces the crews of the three Ferrari 488 GTE cars of AF Corse due to compete in the LMGTE-Pro class at the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours.

Car no. 51. Daniel Serra will join world champions James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi, behind the wheel of the 488 GTE no. 51. The Brazilian took pole position in the GTD class at the recent 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring in the 488 GT3 of Spirit of Race.

Car no. 52. The 488 GTE no. 52 will be crewed by official drivers Toni Vilander, twice winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours, and Antonio Giovinazzi. Brazil’s Luis Felipe Derani, fresh from victory at the 12 Hours of Sebring 2018, will share the car with them.

Car no. 71. Sam Bird, Davide Rigon and Miguel Molina will compete in the GTE 488 no. 71, in a repeat of last year.

Cars number 51 and 71 will take part in the entire Superseason of the FIA WEC with Calado-Pier Guidi and Bird-Rigon. Car no. 52 will only race the French endurance marathon.

Car looks sensational and drivers are a known quantity, so here's hoping they can do us proud.

Hi fellow AF Corse fans, not to make anyone of you jealous but I will be @Spa this Saturday to support the #51 and #71 boys!
    Hoping for a good result! Forza AF Corse!
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene