Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 WEC,IMSA and ELMS thread.

2018 WEC,IMSA and ELMS thread.

2017 done, gone. WOW, that went quick.

Speaking to Luca Masse, who was #51 race engineer, he has left to join Manthey Racing, which will be running the Porsche GTEs, and he will be working with Gimmi again. Its earl shame, but he needs to done best for his future. Have not heard who will take over his role.
    Last edited by Rob; 4th January 2018 at 13:54.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

RISI COMPETIZIONE TO ENTER 2018 IMSA ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA RACE
    WITH TWO CAR TEAM

Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM No. 62: Toni Vilander (FIN)
    James Calado (GBR)
    Alessandro Pier Guidi (ITA)

Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTD No. 82: Santiago Creel (MEX)
    Martin Fuentes (MEX)
    Miguel Molina (ESP)
    Ricardo Perez de Lara (MEX)

The 2017 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM at Daytona International Speedway

Daytona Beach, Florida (January 3, 2018)...Risi Competizione will enter the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season with a two-car team for the upcoming Rolex 24 At Daytona, January 25-28.

The Daytona entries consist of the No. 62 Ferrari 488 GTLM (Grand Touring Le Mans class) with Toni Vilander of Finland, Brit James Calado and Italian Alessandro Pier Guidi. For the upcoming Roar Before the 24 Test Days, January 5-7, Pier Guidi will be the only driver on hand to do the testing chores for the GTLM team entry.

The No. 82 Ferrari 488 GT3-spec GTD (Grand Touring Daytona class) entry encompasses four drivers for the race: Spaniard Miguel Molina and a trio of Mexican drivers, including Martin Fuentes, Santiago Creel and Ricardo Perez de Lara, all run under the Risi Competizione flagship, based out of Houston, Texas.

Podium from Petit Le Mans finale in 2017 with Risi Competizione drivers
    (L-R) Giancarlo Fisichella, Toni Vilander and Alessandro Pier Guidi

Last season was an interesting one for the fan favorite Risi Competizione team, who captured five podiums in seven IMSA races last season, including a third-place finish at the 24-hours of Daytona race in the No. 62 GTLM Prancing Horse.

2018 marks the start of the third year of competition for the beautiful Ferrari 488, which made its debut just prior to the 2016 running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona. The team finished sixth at Daytona and closed the season with a victory at Petit Le Mans that year.

The GTLM Risi entry of Ferrari factory drivers comes with impressive statistics behind the three pilots. Vilander has driven full-time with Risi Competizione for the past two seasons, paired with Giancarlo Fisichella, with good results (one victory, two podium, six Top Five finishes in IMSA, in the incredibly competitive class, as well as a second-place finish in the 24 Hours of Le Mans). Additionally, Vilander, who is a two-time 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, won the 2017 running of the Bathurst 12 Hour race in a Ferrari 488 GT3.

The Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTLM

Both Calado and Pier Guidi secured the World Endurance Championship (WEC) GT drivers' world championship as Ferrari teammates at the end of the season last year. They are both making their second drive for Giuseppe Risi with Calado having previously driven to victory at Petit Le Mans 2016 and Pier Guidi driven to third-place at last year's Petit finale and both with Vilander and Fisichella.

Spanish driver Miguel Molina, who became a Ferrari factory GT driver in March 2017, will be part of the Risi Competizione GTD class entry, along with three other Spanish-speaking drivers from Mexico, Martin Fuentes, Santiago Creel and Ricardo Perez de Lara.

This will be Molina's inaugural Rolex 24 but he's quite comfortable with endurance racing, having competed a full season in WEC last year, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans and winning the Gulf 12 Hours race in mid-December.

Martin Fuentes has achieved success in the Ferrari 488 with Scuderia Corse in the Trofeo Pirelli North American series, finishing in the Top Four in 2017 and winning the Pirelli World Challenge series GTA class driver's championship in 2016. He started his racing career in go karting in 2005 before advancing to race cars.

Ricardo Perez de Lara joins the Risi GTD team after several years of competition with Ferrari of Houston's Ferrari Challenge team, including winning the championship in 2014. His racing start commenced in single seaters in the late 1990s, where he won F2 and F3 championships. He's had a diverse racing background that also include NASCAR Mexico, Clio Cup, Super Copa Telcel, Porsche GT3 Cup USA and even Freightliner truck racing. He previously competed at the Rolex 24 in 2016 in an Aston Martin.

Santiago Creel is making his first appearance in the Ferrari 488 GTD, although he's competed in the previous two Rolex 24 races at Daytona. He's spent the previous seven years in the Porsche GT3 Cup, first in Mexico and then the U.S. and advanced to the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup the past two season.
    Last edited by Rob; 4th January 2018 at 13:53.

Ooops...what the freak was I thinking starting that thread.....my bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ooops...what the freak was I thinking starting that thread.....my bad!!

Sorry, but easier if all Daytona news is in same thread, or have loads of little threads opened.

This years race going be good one. Risi running 2 cars, and have WEC GTE World champions in racing for Risi.

Will you be watching it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

This years race going be good one. Risi running 2 cars, and have WEC GTE World champions in racing for Risi.

Will you be watching it?

I feel the same way--->looks to be a good one.

Yes, I will be watching it when I can....sleep for 3 to 4 hrs then back to watching it.

Schedule for today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSyOdf5W4AE2UbC.jpg

Sun sets after day 1 of both practice sessions

Highlights of the day

Session 1 Results

•Cadillac wasted no time parking themselves at the top. 1-2-3-4
    •Spirit of Daytona jumped straight into the Caddy pack, third behind #5 AXR and #10 WTR.
    •Best of the rest was CORE Autosport, 8 tenths off the lead Cadillac.
    •The new Mazda RT24-P did not run in session 1.
    •The updated BAR1 Riley also did not run.
    •It was Noah’s ark in GTLM as the cars went 2 by 2.
    •Ford led the single Risi entry, then Porsche and Corvette behind. All of the cars were within 9 tenths of each other
    •BMW appeared to have some teething problems, both cars not posting competitive times
    •In GTD, Blancpain champions GRT Grasser led the class with the Huracan GT3.
    •The Manthey Porsche was second, with the other GRT Lambo third.

Session 2 Results

•Cadillacs jumped to the top early in the session, but the CORE Autosports Oreca kept them from a clean sweep at the top.
    •The Cadillacs racked up the laps, completing more than any other car. Over 50 laps for the #5 AXR.
    •The #90 SoD Caddy caused a red flag when Eddie Cheever III nosed the wall.
    •Jackie Chan DC Racing made significant steps forward in session 2, posting times in the top 10.
    •Acura didn’t look particularly fast, but they did complete plenty of laps. Sandbagging, or working through a program?
    •The 99 Red Dragon missed the first hour, but was fast once it took to the track.
    •Mazda Team Joest had the #55 out early in the session, although currently 1.6 seconds off the pace.
    •The sister #77 did not make it to the track for any extended running. Installation laps only.
    •The #2 ESM Car had a full rear end change between the sessions. The ESM crew managed the change in under 2 hours.
    •Nick Tandy suffered a puncture during the session and had to return to the pits slowly.
    •Bruno Senna caused a red flag when he spun his United Autosports Ligier and stalling on track.
    •Performance Tech had to test the Oreca 07 – including the fuel tank size. The team ran the car out of fuel, causing it to stop on track. It was recovered by a flatbed truck and returned to the session.
    •The #51 Ferrari spun and caused a red flag. Maybe the AF Corse run Spirit of Daytona car was upset at having so many Aston Martin drivers behind the wheel.
    •Johannes van Overbeek had an amusing incident – pressed the drinks button and got the windscreen wipers!
    •Mixed running for most of the field, except for BMW. The new M8 is still not with the rest of the GTLM Pack
    •GRT Grass Lamborghini topped GTD again.

http://theracingline.net/2018/imsa/w...4-day-1-notes/

Weathertech Scuderia Corsa pics

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSzziV1X0AAPq7f.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSzzlkMWAAAr5eJ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSzzlnFXkAAXD3U.jpg

GTD results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSz-p1wXkAEIDcE.jpg

Night Driving, Traffic Biggest Unknowns for Alonso on Rolex 24 Debut

Fernando Alonso feels that driving at night and dealing with traffic will be his two greatest challenges on his debut appearance in the Rolex 24 at Daytona with United Autosports.

Two-time Formula 1 world champion will enter his first sports car race at Daytona International Speedway later this month, with his first laps of the circuit coming on Friday at the start of the Roar Before the 24 test.

Alonso has been strongly linked with an entry to the 24 Hours of Le Mans later this year with Toyota, and said he will use his debut event at Daytona to gauge his enjoyment of sports car racing.

“This race is some kind of first step in endurance, how these races are and how much I enjoy these races. Hopefully it’s a positive answer, because I never did it,” Alonso said.

“After the 24 hours at Daytona, I will have a better understanding of these championships. Le Mans 24 hour and the ‘triple crown’ is another target.

“So if I can fit the Le Mans 24 hour this year as I’m not doing the Indy 500, that would be great, and hopefully the following year the Indy 500 can be in the plan again.”

As well as being his first sports car event, the Rolex 24 will also mark Alonso’s first multi-class race and his first proper night race without artificial lighting up the entirety of the circuit, as seen at the F1 grands prix in Singapore and Bahrain.

“It’s still a question mark,” Alonso said when asked about night driving.

“I don’t have big concerns because I think the track is quite well illuminated here. You have quite a lot of light. It is not that you will rely only on the car.

“I think the traffic and the GTs at night, and how to understand each other, I will try to overtake on the right side, and hopefully they understand that – these kind of things will be the main challenge for me.

“But I know that it will be nearly 12 hours of night driving, so we will try to figure it out.”

Despite only completing three laps behind the wheel of the No. 23 Ligier JS P217 Gibson in opening practice, Alonso said he was able to get a feel for the Daytona circuit.

“I did unfortunately a short time, only three laps this morning, but enough to have a feeling in the car and on the speedway as well,” Alonso said.

“Obviously the moments with the high banking were special. You feel the compression there in the body, you feel the visibility change.

“When you are in the normal part of the circuit, you have a view from the car that is a little bit longer ahead, while when you are in the corning on the banking, you see the next 200 metres of the track, only that. I was trying to look where was the track going.

“It was good fun, the best feeling. Unfortunately I was missing a little bit more track time. I’ll try to recover it now in the second session, but so far so good.”

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ni...olex-24-debut/

yesterdays press conference.....5:00 min. mark is quite funny

RACER: Fernando Alonso at Daytona (9min 10sec)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0NV3GUtq60

Practice Sessions for today Jan. 6, 2018

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS2zGoYVoAAuNq1.jpg

for pit boxes and garage locations.....quali Sunday results GTD class

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS89MGUX4Ac08RR.jpg

GTLM is next

qualifying for pit boxes and garage locations.....Sunday results Prototype

.@FelipeNasr has dropped the mark to a never-before-seen 1:35.806 to demolish the track record and return the No. 31.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS9JVbrXcAYFc2W.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS9IYogXkAIEqBj.jpg (results)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS9Lbp3X0AAi_OJ.jpg ( results for GTLM class)

Ferrari's world champions will return for the 2018/19 @FIAWEC superseason as part of an unchanged driver line-up according to Autosport.

Ferrari's world champions will return for the 2018/19 @FIAWEC superseason as part of an unchanged driver line-up according to Autosport.
    Lets face it, it is a no brainer to keep the drivers we have. All of them good friends, super quick and consistent.

Cool GT updates

Hi Rob, as the man with his finger on the pulse so to speak , what updates have the 488s been given this season? I'm taking across all GT competitions - WEC, Blancpain GT, ELMS, IMSA

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaJay View Post
    Hi Rob, as the man with his finger on the pulse so to speak , what updates have the 488s been given this season? I'm taking across all GT competitions - WEC, Blancpain GT, ELMS, IMSA
    For the GTE, as far as i know, will be all new front end, splitter. And rear end work with difusser and rear wing. Not sure what else, i know they were working on engine drivetrain, make her more reliable and more efficient.

Im waiting here from a friend as i have asked. As soon as i hear, i will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    For the GTE, as far as i know, will be all new front end, splitter. And rear end work with difusser and rear wing. Not sure what else, i know they were working on engine drivetrain, make her more reliable and more efficient.

Im waiting here from a friend as i have asked. As soon as i hear, i will post.
    Cool, please do. I closely follow the Blancpain series and find it frustrating that we are not as competitive as we should be. Hoping to go Silverstone this year, went for the 70th celebration and was a bit disappointed that there were no classic old Ferrari's on display.

Matt Griffin Added To Risi GTD Ferrari For Daytona

Irish ace joins Molina, de Lara, Fuentes and Creel in new 488 GT3

Matt Griffin is the latest star name to be added to the 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona entry, the rapid Irishman is added to the #82 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GT3 in a packed and high quality GTD class.

Griffin then joins his 2017 FIA WEC GTE AM rival Miguel Molina in the car alongside Mexican trio Ricardo Perez de Lara, Martin Fuentes and Santiago Creel for the opening race of the IMSA season.

The addition of Griffin, one of the most experienced Pro Ferrari GT3 drivers to create a five driver entry reflects the expectation that the race is set to be fast and closely fought. Molina and Griffin will both be forces to be reckoned with if, as is usually the case it seems, the GTD battle comes down to a late race dog fight.

It will be Matt’s third Rolex 24 Hours (he raced in both 2014 and 2015, finishing fourth three years ago and setting the fastest lap of the race in class.

“I’m delighted to be involved,” Matt told DSC earlier today. “Every Professional driver wants to be involved with the big races, and the big teams. This will be my first run with Risi Competizione and again that’s a source of pride. I first met Guiseppe Risi back in 2008, almost at the beginning of my time with AF Corse and Ferrari (this will be Matt’s 11th season with the team), and it is an honour to now be driving for his team, real fan favourites and for good reason. The cars are always stunningly turned out and always run well.”

Track action for the 2018 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona gets underway next week with full live coverage on IMSA Radio.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...r-daytona.html

GTLM pole goes to @janmagnussen & @CorvetteRacing for the #Rolex24

Prototypes next.

GTLM pole goes to @janmagnussen & @CorvetteRacing for the #Rolex24

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUax05eXUAEQLMJ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUax053XUAE08hg.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, your #Rolex24 pole winner!! @Rengervdz @KonicaMinoltaUS @Cadillac

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUa0-KtW0AE2JAG.jpg

Heartbreak as @h3lio just misses the #Rolex24 pole by .007 seconds. He will start 2nd. @danecameron19 quailes 10th.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUaz7X8VwAES90X.jpg

quali results (P)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUazwvDX0AYT3_3.jpg

WATCH:
    ��: http://IMSA.tv
    ��: IMSA app
    ��: @IMSARadio

Risi Competizione steps back to GTE Am for 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours

Three-time Le Mans 24 Hours class winner Risi Competizione will drop down to the GTE Am class for its entry in the World Endurance Championship centrepiece this year.

Risi has confirmed it has no plans to field a Ferrari in GTE Pro in 2018 and will instead link up with US driver/entrant Ben Keating to run a 488 GTE under the Keating Motorsports banner.

Keating has decided to team up with Risi after landing one of the two automatic Le Mans invitations awarded at the discretion of the organisers of the IMSA SportsCar Championship.

The American, who competes in IMSA with a Mercedes-AMG GT3 run by Riley Motorsports said: "I'm a car dealer from Texas, working mostly out of Houston, and it just so happens that Giuseppe Risi is a car dealer from Houston.

"I race a Mercedes in IMSA, which is not an option for GTE, so it is a good match up to partner with Risi."

Jeroen Bleekemolen, a race winner in IMSA's GT Daytona class last season, will be the platinum driver in the Risi-run Keating Ferrari at Le Mans.

The third driver alongside Keating and Bleekemolen, who have raced together at Le Mans for the past three years, will be announced at a later date.

Risi technical boss Rick Mayer explained that the team, which finished a close second in GTE Pro at Le Mans in 2016, would not be returning in the premier GT class for "financial reasons".

He said it was undecided whether the Le Mans entry would be made using the Ferrari with which Risi is contesting a limited IMSA programme this year or one of its other chassis.

Risi has worked with privateers at Le Mans in the past: it ran US privateer Tracy Krohn's entries in 2007-10 (pictured above), notching a pair of podium finishes in GT2.

The second of the automatic Le Mans entries that can be awarded by IMSA has gone to the JDC-Miller Motorsports prototype class team, which claimed a pair of mid-season IMSA podiums last year with its ORECA-Gibson 07.

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...r-2018-le-mans

2018 Rolex 24 At Daytona Qualifying (1hr 19min 30sec)......broadcasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpaUJFVvh0I
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 27th January 2018 at 11:47.