CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Miquel in the #82 is off to a flyer, leading GTD from #51 Spirit of Race

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Miquel in the #82 is off to a flyer, leading GTD from #51 Spirit of Race
    Yeah, unfortunate it caught fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    Fernando is doing well, he had a cracking opening stint, really enjoying it.

Fernando is doing well, he had a cracking opening stint, really enjoying it.
    yep, he's having fun. That #82 car is back on the track; its gonna have to make up for lost time.

GTLM 62 Risi Ferrari has a flat. That car 2 laps down after the door problems

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    GTLM 62 Risi Ferrari has a flat. That car 2 laps down after the door problems
    no, its not. Still on the GTLM lead lap.

no, its not. Still on the GTLM lead lap.
    my bad. What is up with all these punctures. Either they are failing or being "forced" to fail with tyre pressure min.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    my bad. What is up with all these punctures. Either they are failing or being "forced" to fail with tyre pressure min.
    maybe just lower pressures than been advised to run.

rain and most still on slicks....losing time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUlsgBoXUAYLNmS.jpg

Lando Norris is doing brilliant in the rain.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 28th January 2018 at 00:09.

Stroll not doing bad either in the rain.

Into the night shift we go, hitting the 6 hour mark of the 24 Hours at #daytona! @BalzanAle has taken over the wheel of the #63 and @sambirdracing pushing the #64 in top 10.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUl54KeUQAAvJIc.jpg

ugh....heavy impact on the #51 Ferrari car (Paul Dalla Lana) against the wall. In the garage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUoiXOGXkAA3_ZC.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUoiXQSWkAIVGjc.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUoij-jWAAA6F1U.jpg

Not what we wanted to see so far, is it lack of pace? I don't like seeing Ford, Chevy and Porsche ahead of us, still a few hours to go yet.....

Well, an Italian won the GTD race. First ever in history for Lamborghini to win a 24 hour race. Congrats to Grasser Racing.

800+ plus laps broken by the Prototypes and GTLM's; both break the old record distance of 2970.9 miles back in 1982 by a Porsche 935.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing WEC‏ @Toyota_Hybrid

Breaking news: Our 2018-19 @FIAWEC driver line-up is confirmed and we welcome @Alo_oficial into our #8 crew.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUyRbiXW4AYHALz.jpg

TOYOTA GAZOO RACING CONFIRMS DRIVER LINE-UP: FERNANDO ALONSO JOINS
    Tuesday 30 January 2018

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing can confirm its drivers for the 2018-19 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) season, with Fernando Alonso joining the line-up.

The team has officially submitted its entry to the Automobile Club de l’Ouest and will participate in all eight rounds of the 2018-19 season with two hybrid-powered race cars as it targets victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours and the WEC World Championships.

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will again utilise its 1,000hp TS050 HYBRID car, which won five of nine races in 2017. Development of hybrid technology remains an integral element of TOYOTA’s participation in endurance racing as part of the company’s commitment to making ever-better road cars.

The driver line-ups for the two TS050 HYBRIDs are now confirmed, with the #7 car competing with an unchanged line-up of Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and José María López.

The #8 TS050 HYBRID features a revised driver line-up, with Sébastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima joined by two-time Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso.

Fernando, 36, will make his LMP1 race debut at Spa-Francorchamps in May and will compete in all rounds of the 2018-19 season which do not conflict with his existing Formula 1 obligations.

Anthony Davidson, who won five races in 2017 alongside Sébastien and Kazuki, will remain an important member of the team, bringing his World Championship-winning experience to a new role as Reserve and Development Driver.

Two-time Le Mans winner Alex Wurz will continue as Team Advisor and Ambassador having made a significant contribution since taking the position in 2016.

Akio Toyoda, President, TOYOTA Motor Corporation: “I am looking forward to seeing how much TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will grow when our drivers and all team members take what they have learned thus far in endurance racing and add to it what they will gain from Fernando’s experience. The entire team is excited about this opportunity for growth. Through the challenge of WEC endurance races and, among those, on the grueling roads of the Le Mans 24 Hours, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will do its best, together with Fernando, to outdrive the competition.”

Hisatake Murata, Team President: “This WEC season is unique because it features two editions of the Le Mans 24 Hours so we are all looking forward to it. I believe we have an extremely strong driver line-up with real strength in depth. Fernando is a rookie in WEC but he brings speed and experience gained from many years at the top of his sport. We are all excited to work with him but endurance racing is a team effort and we know all of our drivers are performing to a very high level. I would like to thank Anthony for his professional approach in difficult circumstances; he remains a strong part of our driving line-up and he will be busy this season.”

Fernando Alonso: “I am very excited to participate in the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time. It is a race which I have followed closely for a long time and it has always been an ambition of mine to participate. Endurance racing is a different discipline compared to single-seaters and it will be an interesting challenge. I am looking forward to working together with, and learning from, Sébastien and Kazuki, who are both very experienced endurance drivers. It will be a learning curve for me but I am ready for this challenge and I can’t wait to get started.”

Full text of Akio Toyoda statement:

I want to drive an LMP1 car…”
    “To Fernando Alonso, I say thank you so much for choosing Toyota as a partner for making your Le Mans dream come true.

I am extremely thrilled that Fernando, who has battled it out in numerous races and seen things that nobody on our team has ever experienced, will be driving for TOYOTA GAZOO Racing.

I believe that having Fernando get behind the wheel for our team will only make our cars better.

I am looking forward to seeing how much TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will grow when our drivers and all team members take what they have learned thus far in endurance racing and add to it what they will gain from Fernando’s experience. The entire team is excited about this opportunity for growth.

Through the challenge of WEC endurance races and, among those, on the grueling roads of the Le Mans 24 Hours, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will do its best, together with Fernando, to outdrive the competition.

And, toward our ultimate aim of providing our customers with ever-better cars, I hope we will be able to race with shared aspirations at heart.

We welcome Fernando and, together with Sebastien, Kazuki, Mike, Kamui and José for a total of six drivers, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing will go all out toward achieving all of our goals.

I look forward to everyone’s support of TOYOTA GAZOO Racing this season as well.

Thank you.

Looking forward to meeting Fernando this year in Silverstone paddock for WEC. This has been rumbling on for a while now. But to finally have it confirmed, great news, and also for WEC to have Fernando do the whole season, well apart from Fuji.

Ex-F1 driver Giancarlo Fisichella returns to the #WEC full-time for the 2018/19 superseason with a Ferrari GTE Am drive.

Fisichella gets full-time 2018/19 WEC drive with GTE Am Ferrari squad

Ex-Formula 1 driver Giancarlo Fisichella will remain a Ferrari driver and return to the World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 superseason.

Fisichella, a three-time grand prix winner, will race a Ferrari 488 GTE for the AF Corse-run Spirit of Race operation in the GTE Am class.

The 45-year-old Italian will share the car with team regulars Francesco Castellacci and Thomas Flohr, who scored a GTE Am victory at Fuji last season, in place of Miguel Molina.

Fisichella is returning full-time to the WEC after an absence of four seasons during which time he raced with the Risi Competizione Ferrari team in the North American IMSA SportsCar Championship.

He also contested the Le Mans 24 Hours with the team in 2016 and '17 (above), after six years in the event with AF Corse.

His contract to remain on Ferrari's GT roster had yet to be agreed earlier this year and he was not available to Risi for its Daytona 24 Hours assault.

Fisichella said: "I am really excited to be joining Thomas, Francesco and the whole Spirit of Race family.

"The WEC is one of the most thrilling and competitive series in the world, and I'm very much looking forward to a successful season in this strong team."

Castellacci described partnering Fisichella as a "real privilege", calling him an "icon of world motorsport".

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...rari-wec-drive

Good to have Fisi back in the squad, albeit in GTEAm rather than Pro, hope he will continue to deliver for Ferrari and Spirit of Race.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Good to have Fisi back in the squad, albeit in GTEAm rather than Pro, hope he will continue to deliver for Ferrari and Spirit of Race.
    +1

Press conference today at WEC. Pictures of the cars outside....yes it is snowing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgrSX0AAwbXR.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgraXUAEiyYj.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVlvgrTXUAENOGU.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVl8SCMWkAAoAeS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVliWsqW0AE_cxQ.jpg

also

WEC moves Fuji race date for Alonso, but creates controversial IMSA clash per Autosport.

and

WEC reveals 10-car LMP1 field for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours as well as 2018/19 superseason per Autosport.

Biggest grid ever promises spectacular WEC Super Season

36 full season entries for 8-round season to include two editions of 24H Le Mans

Toyota Gazoo Racing aiming for top honours in 10-strong LMP1 field

Exceptional driver line up led by two-time F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso

Multiple constructors go head-to-head in LMP2 in hands of teams old and new

BMW strengthens powerful GT World Championship to 10 challengers

Multi-marque LMGTE Am class boosted to 9 for Super Season

A capacity and high profile full-season entry list for the 2018-2019 FIA World Endurance Championship Super Season has been revealed during an online press conference
    broadcast from Paris, France.

The grid will be made up of 36 cars from 12 different nations, the highest number entered for a season since the Championship began in 2012 demonstrating that the discipline of endurance racing, and the World Endurance Championship in particular, is in extremely good health.

This Super Season will be exceptional not just for the quality and diversity of its entrants, but also because there will only be one ‘Super Season’. It brings together the best and most historic venues across the world on which to race, no fewer than six of the world’s leading automotive manufacturers who will be fighting it out for World Championship glory, and world-class competition from private teams in LMP1, LMP2 and GTE which is guaranteed to thrill fans everywhere.
    Jean Todt, President of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile : “I am very pleased to see the strong entry list that has been unveiled today for the FIA World Endurance Championship ‘Super Season’. The FIA World Endurance Championship, through the partnership between the FIA and the ACO, continues to deliver a strong and stable platform for world class competition. I am very much looking forward to following the development of the WEC in the future.”

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest: “Endurance racing is in excellent health, as we can see from this capacity entry list to the WEC, and by the continued high level of interest in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It is very rewarding to see so many competitors moving from the ELMS to the WEC, or from LMP2 to LMP1, which demonstrates how well our pyramid of endurance works. We are confident this transition year will lead us towards an even brighter and stronger future.”

Richard Mille, President of the FIA Endurance Commission: “The 2018/19 season is one of change for the FIA WEC and it is fantastic to see an entry list for the coming ‘Super Season’ that features world leading manufacturers, great teams and star drivers. It is going to be a super season in more ways than one!”

Gérard Neveu, CEO of the World Endurance Championship: “Last September we announced new regulations in LMP1, changes to the calendar and new destinations for the Super Season, two visits to Le Mans a return to Sebring. Six months later it’s time to see how many cars are on the grid, and it’s very satisfying to have 36 competitors including 6 major manufacturers and a good balance between prototypes and GTEs. This is just the start! Now the show goes on and we are confident the figures will continue to increase as they have done for the last 6 years. Welcome to the Super Season!”

WEC 2018 entry list....

http://bo.fiawec.com/assets/ressourc...ist_080218.pdf

Three AF Corse Ferrari 488 GTEs at Le Mans

“The decision to have a third car at Le Mans was taken recently” said AF Corse’s director Amato Ferrari. “It was only a month ago when the factory asked us to support a third 488 GTE”, he added. “This third car will attend the Le Mans race only. It is a massive effort for our team. We have an awful lot of work ahead of us.” he added.