Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 WEC,IMSA and ELMS thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    GET IN!!! 51 WINS!!
    Brilliant result and strategy to finally deliver a victory in GTE Pro, pity car 71 had so many problems, but a win is a win. Not so great in GTE Am, though, but great effort all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Brilliant result and strategy to finally deliver a victory in GTE Pro, pity car 71 had so many problems, but a win is a win. Not so great in GTE Am, though, but great effort all the same.
    Was an awesome win especially since we were NOWHERE near the front running pace. Juts got so lucky with the SC and VSCs and strategy. Downside was #54 car being damaged at the start. Speaking Fransesco during the race, they could only repair the front of the car, if they wanted change the rear end, would of cost so much time, it would been better to retire the car. ANd after that, the car had bad vibrations massive oversteer.

But main talking point was BoP, Weng and Arj from Clearwater chatted with me, and all was about how couldnt manage to run the Astons and Porsches pace, and the same was in PRO. But hey, long season, we should get break soon.

Plus, we had an amazing weekend. I will post pictures soon, so many to upload.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

AKIO TOYODA COMMENT ON THE WEC 6 HOURS OF SILVERSTONE RACE

All our drivers drove our cars with their full power and the fight for victory was truly exciting for the fans so I truly feel disappointed to lose the result.

I would like to apologize to the six drivers that we could not make a car with which they can win even though they drove all out.

On the other hand, I would also like to thank our drivers for their trust in our cars and for pushing to the limit, as this meant we could learn about improvements which can be made.

We will make our cars even stronger for the next race so that the drivers can drive all out again at Fuji Speedway and fight for another one-two victory to strengthen our challenge for the World Championship.

For the fans, thank you very much for your continued support. I hope you are looking forward to see an exciting race in October.

Akio Toyoda
    President
    Toyota Motor Corporation

PIER GUIDI AND CALADO WIN AT SILVERSTONE
    ferrari-media

Silverstone, 19 August 2018 – As they say in the world of distance running, “your head can go where your legs can’t”. The 6 Hours of Silverstone, third round of the Super Season of the 2018-19 World Endurance Championship boiled down to this for Ferrari no. 51 of AF Corse. After a stark performance gap in qualifying mainly due to the BoP that still separates the 488 GTE Evos from the GTE-Pro class leaders, the race saw an unexpected win thanks to the Italian team’s magnificent strategy and the skills of world champions Alessandro Pier Guidi and James Calado. It was the first victory for the car equipped with the Evo kit. However, the race only turned out well for car no. 51, with no. 71 hampered by an accident and the GTE-Am class cars quite off the pace for the entire race.

GTE-Pro. The prototypes plunged into chaos at the start, which also involved the GT cars in the second half of the group. The two Ferrari 488 GTE Evos were hit by other competitors but just suffered a few dents. Both Sam Bird and Alessandro Pier Guidi managed to move up a position. Bird, who put in an excellent stint, was in second before the pit stop. The first twist came after two hours and 20 minutes. A Full Course Yellow rewarded the fuel saving strategy of car no. 51, which was able to make its pit stop during the neutralisation period. This allowed James Calado to return to the track in second place, behind the Ford no. 66. Shortly after, the US car suffered a problem that gifted the lead to no. 51. However, the joy of seeing the 488 GTE Evo in front for the first time only lasted a few laps until the undercut tactic of Porsche no. 92 gave the advantage to Kevin Estre and Michael Christensen. Meanwhile bad luck dogged no. 71, which was hit by a prototype while in fourth with Davide Rigon at the wheel. The Italian had to drive a full lap on three wheels, which worsened the state of the car. The 488 GTE Evo came back on track after 34 minutes and finished in eighth place. Less than two hours from the end another Full Course Yellow was called and the masterful work by the AF Corse mechanics saw the Ferrari go back on track in front of the two Porsches. Again, the three top drivers made their pit stops during the neutralisation period, which the Ford no. 67 failed to do. This put it out of the running despite being the fastest car on track. Alessandro Pier Guidi’s perfect management in the last 90 minutes finished the job to give Ferrari one of the most beautiful and deserved victories in its WEC history. Second place went to the Porsche of Bruni-Lietz, and third to the Ford of Priaulx-Tincknell.

GTE-Am. The Ferraris were in difficulty in the GTE-Am class. The 488 GTEs had already struggled in practice and things didn’t improve during the race. The best-placed Ferrari on the grid, car no. 54 Spirit of Race, crewed by Giancarlo Fisichella, Thomas Flohr and Francesco Castellacci, was involved in an accident at the start, losing three laps for repairs to the front end. Both car no. 61 of Clearwater Racing (Mok-Sawa-Griffin) and no. 70 of MR Racing (Ishikawa-Beretta-Cheever III) attempted a comeback but were frustrated by two drive-through penalties for speeding in the pitlane. In the end, the car of Clearwater Racing was the best-placed Ferrari, in fifth. MR Racing finished seventh, the no. 54 Spirit of Race ninth. The overall win went to Alonsso-Buemi-Nakajima on Toyota. The next round is on 14 October 14 at Fuji, Japan.

sorry some reason my portrait pictures gone like this since uploading. This is me and Jacob with Very good friend Vale. (gave me some team gear on race day)

me with another good friend Seb.

With very good friend Francesco, he sorted the passes for the race day. Such top guy and good friend. Shame his and #54 race was ruined at the start
    Last edited by Rob; 26th August 2018 at 13:43.

With Joackin, mechanic on #54, really top bloke, good friends.

just sorting out few more. But now busy, cooking roast and tryng to watch F1 lol

Great images Rob, grazie, and sorry if I mis-behaved and you had to edit one of my posts on the Spa quali thread, I was fuming!!

Amazing pics Rob, looks like you had a wonderful time!

Jacob and Sam, he was brilliant. We had great chat and made Jacob laugh too.

brother from another mother Keira and Jacob were over the moon for finally meeting Gimmi. He still a good friend. As we walked past the Porsche Hospitality, we looked in and Gimmi saw us, pointed as to say hold on. He jogged out to see us. Was so nice to catch up again.

Me and Chris, he is #51 refueller. Top bloke, down to earth great to have a laugh with. Wicked sense of humour, and tells you how it is. Were talking about how often the TV cameras go on him during races, and he said hate being on camera and having pictures done. So, i just had to do this few swear words and told me where to go

my view of the autograph session

10 minutes before Ale got in the car to take her to the grid, stopped chatted. Such a top bloke and driver, he James super due. James is awesome aswell to talk too, he stops and chats.

we watched the start of the race from the pits.

just got few more, i have had to pick a few. Got so many.

Vale in #51, going over engine maps, and gear changes. While the laptop was plugged in and they looking over everything.

Had breakfast with Fisi and Francesco

then went in half hour after race start and had lunch, so nice, i mean really really nice. And yes, we went up twice.

Cool pics Rob of the cars with the kiddos. Hopefully, they become petrol heads like the rest of us......no???

Im sure they enjoyed it and will never forget it. There world will be quite different from the world we grew up with from an automotive perspective.

Bloody amazing pics mate! You really saved the best to post 'till last. I'm very Jealous!!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Great images Rob, grazie, and sorry if I mis-behaved and you had to edit one of my posts on the Spa quali thread, I was fuming!!
    Thats ok Andy, never seen that form you

Thankyou, was amazing WEC. Keira and Jacob loved it. Especially as they finally met Gimmi, and Keira got to meet her new "crush" Francesco. Jacob loved the Clearwater car, as got the dragon. He was over the moon, Lum, who is mechanic on the #61 picked him up and sat him in the car. We did, me and Tom my brother inlaw, make it on the TV, friend at work said he saw us. Louise Beckett came in to interview James in last hour or so, we were standing right behind him.

We sat with Francesco and Fisi mid race, chilling on a air sofa. With espresso too. Amazing times, amazing memories with good friends. Topped it off with an unexpected win.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Cool pics Rob of the cars with the kiddos. Hopefully, they become petrol heads like the rest of us......no???

Im sure they enjoyed it and will never forget it. There world will be quite different from the world we grew up with from an automotive perspective.
    Keira and Jacob loved it, they love Ferrari too, not so much F1, will watch it. But as they met the drivers and sat in the cars, they prefer GTEs

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Bloody amazing pics mate! You really saved the best to post 'till last. I'm very Jealous!!

got so so many more, of us under podium and in the pitlane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thats ok Andy, never seen that form you

Thankyou, was amazing WEC. Keira and Jacob loved it. Especially as they finally met Gimmi, and Keira got to meet her new "crush" Francesco. Jacob loved the Clearwater car, as got the dragon. He was over the moon, Lum, who is mechanic on the #61 picked him up and sat him in the car. We did, me and Tom my brother inlaw, make it on the TV, friend at work said he saw us. Louise Beckett came in to interview James in last hour or so, we were standing right behind him.

We sat with Francesco and Fisi mid race, chilling on a air sofa. With espresso too. Amazing times, amazing memories with good friends. Topped it off with an unexpected win.
    Apologies for my outburst, Rob, but I get these moments when I'm really annoyed and I couldn't help myself but thought it would be OK with the *****s, obviously not! Those pics are amazing and you are so lucky to get up close to the drivers and team personnel, I know they are personal friends too and the kids must have been in their element. I would have been too!!

4 Hours of Silverstone: Post-race reactions (LMP2 & LMGTE)

Miguel Molina – JMW Motorsport – n°66 Ferrari F488– LMGTE winner

“A lot of drama happened in the last hour of the race with the penalties, the traffic… But first of all I think my teammates did fantastic stints and I think we really moved forward since the last races and that’s really important. We are growing as a team that is really good with us, there a really good atmosphere and it’s really important to succeed. Concerning my last stint, I had this 10s penalty at the beginning, so my aim was first of all to catch and overtake Matt (Griffin), I knew he was 20s ahead. I could manage it; the car was great, and it was a good fight. After that I pushed my maximum as I did in Le Castellet. When you have confidence in the car, in the team and when you feel well, everything is easier. Today was an amazing race, I gave everything and I’m really happy.”

Pierre Ragues – Duqueine Engineering – Oreca 07 n°29 – 7e LMP2

“I have to admit that this race has a bitter sweet taste. First of all, we showed that we were competitive but unfortunately without any results. We were sure to have the pace for a podium, even a win, but the incident in the first lap annihilated all our hopes. This is racing but losing time in the pits is really frustrating, especially when this is not your fault. The team did an amazing job and the car was perfect, which allowed us to be come back into the top 10 and close to the top 5. It was a complicated race but with a lot of positive points on our performance. So we want to come back stronger in Spa next month.”

Will Owen – United Autosports – Ligier JSP217 n°32 – 10e LMP2

“I would say that for me this weekend has been enjoyable. I’ve learnt a lot and have been involved in working on the car. On Friday I thought we were in good shape, the car was a little loose but great to drive. I’ve got lots of questions and no answers. I’ve never pushed so hard in my life, and I don’t understand where the difference is to the other cars. They were still driving round me, so I have work to do, I need to understand that. Everyone worked so hard, so I have to thank the United guys. It’s been fun, but frustrating.”

See you on the 22nd and 23rd of September in Spa-Francorchamps for the 5th round of the 2018 European Le Mans Series.

DERANI, VAN OVERBEEK COME FROM BEHIND TO WIN AMERICA’S TIRE 250 IN NO. 22 TEQUILA PATRÓN NISSAN

In a wild two-hour and 40-minute penultimate round of the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, No. 22 Tequila Patrón ESM Nissan DPi co-drivers Pipo Derani and Johannes van Overbeek rebounded from early setbacks to score their second victory of the season in the America’s Tire 250.

Van Overbeek started the car from the rear of the Prototype grid as he missed Saturday’s qualifying session due to illness, and he managed to avoid an opening-lap incident that removed the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Cadillac DPi-V.R driven by Joao Barbosa before the starting line and damaged several other cars.

Van Overbeek pitted to turn the car over to Derani just 22 minutes into the race. After a restart following the race’s third full-course caution just 46 minutes into the race, Derani spun in Turn 2, but his Nissan DPi avoided serious damage. The Brazilian methodically worked his way forward following the spin, moving into the top five for the first time an hour and eight minutes into the race and staying there for most of the remainder of the race.

He was running second with 35 minutes remaining when race leader Harry Tincknell spun the No. 55 Mazda DPi while attempting to pass the lapped car of Gustavo Yacaman. Derani inherited the lead as a result and never was challenged for the rest of the race en route to victory. He won by 10.9 seconds over Colin Braun in the No. 54 CORE autosport ORECA LMP2 machine.

“My team is amazing,” Derani said. “If it wasn’t for them, we wouldn’t have finished where we finished today. We had a tough race with contact and spin. They kept pushing me over the radio. Save fuel, save tires, but kept pushing me all the time.

“It was an amazing day. I had an overtake on the Corkscrew, which is nice. This team, no matter what happens they keep fighting and fighting. We’ve had a tough season, but here we are with two wins. We’ve had a lot of DNFs, but a nice race today, and an amazing finish here.”

It was the first win for Derani and van Overbeek since March’s Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Presented by Advance Auto Parts. For van Overbeek, it was his 15th IMSA win (six WeatherTech Championship, 8 American Le Mans Series, 1 GRAND-AM), and it was Derani’s fifth IMSA win, all coming in WeatherTech Championship competition.

“Hats off to the Patron guys today,” said van Overbeek, who also won at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in 2014. “They did a fantastic job. There was a lot of attrition and an uncharacteristic number of yellows today. But we fought through and Pipo did an amazing job as usual.

“The stops were spot on, the car was great, he Continental tires were great and the Nissan motor made good power. I couldn’t be happier.”

Braun and co-driver Jon Bennett made huge gains in the Prototype championship chase with their runner-up result, their fourth consecutive top-two performance. With only the 10-hour Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta on Oct. 13 remaining on the schedule, Braun and Bennett now trail leaders Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr by four points, 254-250. Curran and Nasr finished fifth in Sunday’s race in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac DPi-V.R.

Juan Pablo Montoya and Dane Cameron finished third in the No. 6 Acura Team Penske ARX-05 DPi car for their fourth podium result of the season. Tincknell battled back to finish fourth following the spin to finish fourth in the No. 55 Mazda DPi with co-driver Jonathan Bomarito.

After coming into the race just seven points out of the Prototype points lead, Barbosa’s co-driver, Filipe Albuquerque, is now a near insurmountable 33 points behind his points-leading teammates from Action Express Racing. As the No. 5 Cadillac did not cross the start-finish line on the opening-lap incident, the car and its drivers did not earn any points.

Next up for the WeatherTech Championship is the 10-hour Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta on Saturday, Oct. 13. Live television coverage begins on FS1 at 10:30 a.m. ET. IMSA Radio also will provide live, flag-to-flag coverage on IMSA.com, RadioLeMans.com and SiriusXM Radio (Sirius 119/XM 202/App 972).

Forty Car Grid for Spa As Race for ELMS Titles Hots Up

Round 5 of the 2018 European Le Mans Series will take place on the awesome 7km Spa-Francorchamps circuit with 40 entries that could see at least two of the six titles decided on Sunday 23 September.
    The 31 teams and 108 drivers will be representing 25 different nations from Europe, North and South America, Asia and Australasia.

The LMP2 grid will feature 16 cars with the no26 G-Drive Racing Oreca-Gibson leading the championship by 34 points. Roman Rusinov and Andrea Pizzitola are also leading the drivers’ championship, with their teammate Jean-Eric Vergne twelve points behind, after he missed the opening race of the season at Le Castellet.

G-Drive Racing have won the last three ELMS races and won the LMP2 category at the opening round of the FIA World Endurance Championship in May, the Total 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.

Round 1 winners Norman Nato, Paul Petit and Olivier Pla are currently second in the no24 Racing Engineering Oreca-Gibson on 53 points and the all French driver line up need to win in Belgium and hope the no26 crew fail to score many points. G-Drive just need to be at least 27 points ahead of their nearest rivals after the 4 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps to be declared 2018 champions, so a win or second place for the Russian team will be good enough no matter what their rivals do.

The 18 car LMP3 grid is providing so much drama and action in 2018 with at least seven cars still in with a chance of lifting the coveted ELMS crown at the end of the season.

Double race winners Rob Garofall, John Farano and Job Van Uitert are currently leading the LMP3 class by 12 points in the no15 RLR MSport Ligier-Nissan, the Anglo-Canadian-Dutch crew are on 58.5 points, with the no11 EuroInternational and no3 United Autosports Ligiers tied on 46.5 points and the no6 360 Racing Ligier-Nissan just half a point behind on 46 points.

The no11 car features the second Dutch driver in contention for the title, Kay Van Berlo, who is joined by the Italians Giorgio Mondini and Mattia Drudi. Van Uitert and Van Berlo will count Spa as their home track this weekend and are sure to attract a lot of attention as the LMP3 title chase hots up.

The six LMGTE car have provided some epic last lap dramas this season, including last time out at Silverstone in August. Father and son duo Gianluca and Giorgio Roda are currently 9 points ahead of the rest of the LMGTE contenders in the no88 Proton Competition Porsche 911 and are joined for the fourth time in 2018 by fellow Italian Matteo Cairoli.

Double race winners Alex MacDowall, Liam Griffin and Miguel Molina, who are currently on 63 points, will be hoping for another win in the no66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari 488 after Molina’s dramatic victory at Silverstone last month. Aaron Scott, Duncan Cameron and Matt Griffin won round 2 at Monza and are on 58 points, just 14 behind the leading Porsche crew.

The 4 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps will take place on Sunday 23 September, with track action starting on Friday 21 September and qualifying on Saturday 22nd.

Zak Brown and the ELMS

Zak Brown, Team owner of United Autosports and McLaren Technology Group CEO, was in Spa-Francorchamps last week to support his team for the 4 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps. We had the opportunity to get his thoughts about the United Autosports season in European Le Mans Series and the future project of the teams.
    The interview was conducted before the 4 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps which was won overall by the no22 United Autosports Ligier-Gibson of Phil Hanson and Filipe Albuquerque, with the no2 United Autosports Ligier-Nissan of John Falb and Scott Andrews winning in LMP3.

The 2018 season so far?

“Disappointed with the season for sure. The drivers have done well, we had a combination of bad luck and not enough speed. Le Mans looks to be the highlight of the season, maybe we will finish third maybe we will finish fourth (according to the decision made concerning G-Drive Racing appeal). We need a little bit more pace, maybe we need some more development on the Ligier. I don’t think it’s the fastest car. We have changed the tyres from Dunlop to Michelin and we did a good qualifying. It’s obviously disappointing from being vice champions and win half the races to not having won one yet.”

Switching from Dunlop To Michelin

“It was Richard’s (Dean) decision, we are looking to maximise the performance and we did some tests before we made the decision. They are both great tyres, I don’t think there is much differences between the two but there is enough for us to make the change. In qualifying at Spa, we were the most competitive we’ve been until now. “

The 2019 projects

“LMP3 will definitely stay a part of our project. We would like to continue racing in ELMS as we already did, and now in the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 2019/2020 season will be our goal. Ideally we would like to have two cars racing in WEC but realistically it will be one car.”

The team will now head to Portimão, the home race of Filipe Albuquerque for the final race of the 2018 European Le Mans Series.

WEC makes first auto-BoP changes for Fuji

The first round of automatic changes to the GTE Pro Balance of Performance in the FIA World Endurance Championship have been made on schedule for next weekend's Fuji round.
    It had appeared that the initial adjustments might be delayed until November's Shanghai race after the Aston Martin Vantage GTE and the Ferrari 488 GTE Evo were given performance breaks for Silverstone in August outside of the auto system under the so-called 'black-ball rule'.

But the other cars in the class, the BMW M8 GTE, the Ford GT and the Porsche 911 RSR, have been given a revised BoP for the Japanese WEC round on October 14.

The MTEK-run BMW is the big beneficiary for Fuji, as the two M8 GTEs have been given a 20kg weight break and more power courtesy of increased boost through the rev range.

Ford's pair of Ganasi GTs will run 18kg heavier than at Silverstone and with slightly less boost, while Porsche will be 2kg heavier and has had the diameter of its engine air-restrictors reduced by 0.3mm.

Aston Martin and Ferrari have unchanged BoPs for Fuji.

The auto BoP system works on a two-race rolling average calculated on the six-hour WEC races, and the changes for the BMW, Ford and Porsche are based on data accrued at the Spa WEC opener in May and Silverstone.

The absence of any adjustments for the Aston and Ferrari suggests that the first auto adjustments for those cars has been delayed until Shanghai, which means they will be based only on data gathered after the black-ball changes.