Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 could add digital display to Halo device

F1 could add digital display to Halo device

Formula 1 bosses are evaluating adding a scrolling digital ticker to the Halo cockpit protection device for 2018.
    Integrating the Halo into the 2018 F1 chassis has proved challenging for teams but will provide additional commercial opportunities.

F1 is currently analysing a series of "experimental solutions" to maximise the extra space created by the Halo's introduction.

One of those solutions is a scrolling digital ticker, like the LED versions which are used to display the latest stocks and share prices.

"Formula 1 has been talking about doing some sort of digital on it, so I think we'll make the most of it," said McLaren executive director Zak Brown.

"Possibly some sort of almost like ticker running, like you see at the stock exchange. Some kind of messaging – that sort of thing.

"There are some rules around what you can and can't do with the Halo - the inside can't be painted because they don't want the drivers to be distracted.

"Like all things, it will develop over time, so what the Halo looks like today will be different in five years.

"Hopefully it will become a more integrated part, right now it looks a bit bolted onto the car. If over time it can be a little bit more integrated into the car, visibly nicer.

"It compromises around the driver, but equally it creates more commercial opportunity on the halo itself. So net, it's not a win or a loss."

A spokesman for F1 told Motorsport.com: "We are not looking at anything specific to the halo.

"But we are always seeking new ways to help our commercial partners, and that of the teams and promoters get the best possible visibility at each race.

"There are a number of experimental solutions we are testing. Such is the nature of these things, that all, or none, might see the light of day in the coming season."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...isplay-994255/

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Anything to fancy up the horrendous HALO a bit.

Come and get your stockmarket on our display lol...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

You can't make this s[censored by FOM]t up.

Zak Brown, please, this is not a damn market, this is a sport where sponsors pay to advertise. You can put some logos and decals on it, no problem, but a digital ticker?
    Might as well have the whole car be a huge big screen TV like in Time Square, just sponsor ads going around like a ticker, and have "Breaking News", and weather, time, and up to date information on the Krdashians or whoever it is "in" nowadays. F1 is slowly loosing its appeal, FE is taking it over. Gimmicks like "DRS" and other push to pass buttons, "Magic Button" to be precise, are killing the show.
    On another point, actually, I enjoyed watching GP2 more than F1, genuine battles, drivers passing, not just waiting to get on the straight to use the DRS. F1 drivers are becoming a bunch of "", not like when James Hunt, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Fangio were balls to the walls kind of people. Now, they would ask padding on the wall, thick ones, with extra soft foam, Grosjean would still find a reason to moan about how the padding gave him a scratch.

I am completely repulsed by this. The halo has been jammed down everybody's throats in the name of safety, and now they're thinking about how it can be used to make money. Disgusting.

Disappointed Since 2010

Everything about F1 gone to hell!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Everything about F1 gone to hell!!!!
    Without the money making, F1 would be gone! We fans watch the F1 races to see our team and favorite driver perform and hope fully a pole , podium. Meanwhile all F1 connected big shots, owners etc. see the sport as how much money can we make!! Almost forgetting the fans , are where the money is. FE may very well have a shot at success.

F1 is becoming a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    F1 is becoming a joke.
    X2

Soon they will replace the podium Champagne with Mountain Dew and have Doritos branding on every jumpsuit. #ripF1
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    X2

Soon they will replace the podium Champagne with Mountain Dew and have Doritos branding on every jumpsuit. #ripF1
    There was talk of "banning" the grid girls!!!! (that's all we need is the PC police to get involved ). It's not like the girls are FORCED into this and most use it to launch their modeling careers. Liberty is re-considering it. Jeezus, grid girls are a long time tradition in F1 and in motorsports in general. Good eye-candy too if you ask me. How do you think Jos Verstappen married his current wife???.....she was a grid girl!!!

Cut the podium interviews, keep the grid girls !!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    The podium interviews are usually an embarrassment anyway, get rid of the 'celebrity' nonsense and keep the grid girlies if it keeps the drivers focused!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    The podium interviews are usually an embarrassment anyway, get rid of the 'celebrity' nonsense and keep the grid girlies if it keeps the drivers focused!!!
    Wisepie, I'm not a driver but!!! I always will stay focused on the grid girls. They deserve fans also!

Didn't they have grid boys one race? I could swear I remember that abomination.

Monaco 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3aujCERTWA

Gorgeous models as grid girls are a part of the glitz and glamour that is Formula 1. Those girls do not have to be there if they don't want to, and I find it increasingly annoying that a vocal minority has to ruin things for the majority.

Disappointed Since 2010

Meanwhile in MotoGP the grid girls are hotter than ever.

Why not have grid boys and girls now that we're all supposed to be unsure of our gender? Very politically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Why not have grid boys and girls now that we're all supposed to be unsure of our gender? Very politically correct.
    And add in F1 female drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Meanwhile in MotoGP the grid girls are hotter than ever.
    Pics or it didn't happen!!!!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen!!!!
    Sure, the internet is full of them

F1 just keeps getting worse...

Watching a driver come up front from starting in the back, and fighting for position [Max] makes F1 still a great sport to watch.

Watching a driver come up front from starting in the back, and fighting for position [Max] makes F1 still a great sport to watch.
    Seb had some great battles from the back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Seb had some great battles from the back as well.
    At the risk of getting hung! Lewis and Alonso also come from nowhere to the front at times! F1 is still where it's at!

I really hope Ferrari leaves F1.

The sport has been in noticable decline the past decade and the rules just keep getting worse and worse. And now they even want to remove the models! Now we have standardized podiums, which look the same everywhere and unprofessional interviews on the podium with all the drivers acting like they're best buddies or wannabe Hollywood celebrities. The whole sport already feels cheap now.

The qualifying for pole and the race is still great!! That is really what F1 is. The regulations and rules are way too much, but " " " " !

Formula E have adopted the halo device to their new design, and I think it doesn't look bad at all.
    Blends really well with the overall design.

But seriously, don't add LED on the halo device
    What the hell is wrong with these people

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Formula E have adopted the halo device to their new design, and I think it doesn't look bad at all.
    Blends really well with the overall design.

But seriously, don't add LED on the halo device
    What the hell is wrong with these people
    Meh, FE's new prototype is all style but no substance. The technology is evolving though, no switching cars this year, the battery can last the full distance.

Perhaps scrolling the grid girls across the halo device would be a good alternative!