Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181930 ... LastLast

Thread: SF71H 2018 Contender

Scarbs' take on the 71. "Progress on All Fronts"

https://drivetribe.com/p/f1-the-ferr...ScWqrlHqO13GWw

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    I wonder if that rake is what they plan on running? Either it's just an illusion to me about how extreme it is or they believe they have some pretty awesome downforce at the rear.Attachment 7372

It's worked out well for RedBull whom have always had this kind of rake ala the rear diffuser and floor where 60% of the downforce comes from. It will work out well for us.

So here is what the cockpit canard/winglet/gizmo thingy does along with the rear view "aero" mirrors. Pretty innovative.

Attachment 7373

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    So here is what the cockpit canard/winglet/gizmo thingy does along with the rear view "aero" mirrors. Pretty innovative.

Attachment 7373
    I reckon this would be copied by all teams very quickly.

Gary Anderson About The New Ferrari

For Ferrari to mount a real season-long challenge to Mercedes for either championship, it needs to be on top of the reliability problems that cost it last year. And it needs the drivers, especially Sebastian Vettel, not to be quite so hot-headed.

On top of that, Ferrari needs a car that is a bit faster, especially at the higher-speed tracks. After all, at the end of last year its average performance over the season was still 0.178% down on Mercedes. That's a lot better than the 0.866% deficit of 2016, but to put up a season-long challenge it needs to be nip and tuck between the two every race. Plus, there might just be another team or two joining the party, so it's not just about Mercedes.

Looking back, there were 11 different winners in 1982 and 30 years later, in 2012, the season started off with seven different drivers winning in the first seven races. I'm not saying we'll see that again, but we can keep hoping for it and there's a chance it could be a bit more competitive up front. Then, being competitive every race is doubly important.

Looking at the Ferrari's front wing assembly, it is the de rigeur multi-element design that all the cars have. Six or seven elements seems to have become the norm and the placing of the slot gaps between each element is down to how an individual team views pitch sensitivity.

Most teams understand that consistent aerodynamics are much more important than peaky downforce, but the big question is where do you draw the line between consistency and out and out downforce?

The add-on vanes on the forward upper outer corner are the first ones that I can see make reasonable sense. Normally, they are vanes of all different shapes, curves and sizes but on the Ferrari they are fairly uniform. The vanes are there to set up a turning moment on the airflow that would normally hit the front tyre and then just send itself wherever it fancied going. This is quite a neat little package of components.

The front wing mounting pillars are three dimensional with two vertical slot gaps. They are fairly invisible from the front view, but they are there to pull more airflow between the FIA-defined central wing section and the bottom of the nose.

This flow then gets pulled through via the S-duct to the top of the chassis. All this increases the mass flow underneath the chassis and the exit of the S-duct reduces the lift on the upper part of the nose/chassis intersection.

I don't see the sidepods as a big step forward from what Ferrari had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations

Below the driver's feet area of the chassis there is a three-element vertical turning vane. This picks up the airflow underneath the raised section of the chassis and sets up a turning moment to sweep it outwards. After that, there are the bargeboards.

On the Ferrari, the bargeboards are mounted quite well forward whereas on the Mercedes they are tucked in quite close to the sidepod leading edge. These evolve from a single element component into three elements at the top edge. This is to allow them to work the inner surface of the bargeboard harder in that area. The lower edges are mounted on some delta-style horizontal turning vanes going from the T-tray part of the floor to the outer corner of the sidepods.

These components are there to prepare the airflow for the leading edge of the underfloor. The vertical components mounted on the outer corners do not go all the way down to the forward-facing horizontal fin coming out of the lower front corner of the floor.

All of these components are there to reduce the effect of the turbulent wake coming off the trailing edge of the front tyre and to help manage the airflow coming around the leading edge of the sidepods and underfloor.

The horizontal wing section evolving out of the top outer corner of the sidepod again just alters the airflow slightly coming off the top of the front tyre to improve the airflow over the top of the sidepods.

All the components from the front-wing mounting pillar to the last turning vane on the corner of the sidepod work together to modify the airflow to the leading edge of the underfloor. This means together they are probably responsible for something in excess of 20% of the car's overall downforce.

It is very difficult to say who has pushed the boat out furthest in this area, Mercedes or Ferrari. But I have to say that I expected more from Ferrari because I don't see this as a big step forward from what it had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations.

Ferrari has twin radiator inlets. One is forward facing, which is by comparison fairly small, and then another one is in the top leading edge surface of the sidepod. The undercut section of the sidepod blends into the chassis side nicely, separating the airflow into what is required for cooling and what is required to produce downforce.

You can see a similarity between the Sauber and the Ferrari in this area. Also, the vane on the top surface of the halo is very similar to both the Sauber and the Toro Rosso.

The wheelbase looks a little longer than 2017. That is not the wrong thing to do and if I was Ferrari I would have added a bit more - maybe not quite as much as Mercedes but it gives some extra space to better manage the airflow between the rear of the front tyre and the sidepod leading edge. Also, for the fast corners it makes the car that little bit more forgiving.

Ferrari looks as if it is running a little more rake (higher rear ride height) on the car. This is not as much as we have seen on the Red Bull, which does exploit rake to the maximum.

Both Mercedes and Ferrari have stuck with their 2017 packaging philosophies, with a little bit of overlap. So, it will be very interesting to see who has made the most progress.

From what I have seen so far from the top three teams so far, I think I would stick my neck out and say we might just be in for a predictable season, but track testing will reveal a lot more.

So, before placing any bets, let's wait to see what happens in Barcelona testing.

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Gary Anderson About The New Ferrari

For Ferrari to mount a real season-long challenge to Mercedes for either championship, it needs to be on top of the reliability problems that cost it last year. And it needs the drivers, especially Sebastian Vettel, not to be quite so hot-headed.

On top of that, Ferrari needs a car that is a bit faster, especially at the higher-speed tracks. After all, at the end of last year its average performance over the season was still 0.178% down on Mercedes. That's a lot better than the 0.866% deficit of 2016, but to put up a season-long challenge it needs to be nip and tuck between the two every race. Plus, there might just be another team or two joining the party, so it's not just about Mercedes.

Looking back, there were 11 different winners in 1982 and 30 years later, in 2012, the season started off with seven different drivers winning in the first seven races. I'm not saying we'll see that again, but we can keep hoping for it and there's a chance it could be a bit more competitive up front. Then, being competitive every race is doubly important.

Looking at the Ferrari's front wing assembly, it is the de rigeur multi-element design that all the cars have. Six or seven elements seems to have become the norm and the placing of the slot gaps between each element is down to how an individual team views pitch sensitivity.

Most teams understand that consistent aerodynamics are much more important than peaky downforce, but the big question is where do you draw the line between consistency and out and out downforce?

The add-on vanes on the forward upper outer corner are the first ones that I can see make reasonable sense. Normally, they are vanes of all different shapes, curves and sizes but on the Ferrari they are fairly uniform. The vanes are there to set up a turning moment on the airflow that would normally hit the front tyre and then just send itself wherever it fancied going. This is quite a neat little package of components.

The front wing mounting pillars are three dimensional with two vertical slot gaps. They are fairly invisible from the front view, but they are there to pull more airflow between the FIA-defined central wing section and the bottom of the nose.

This flow then gets pulled through via the S-duct to the top of the chassis. All this increases the mass flow underneath the chassis and the exit of the S-duct reduces the lift on the upper part of the nose/chassis intersection.

I don't see the sidepods as a big step forward from what Ferrari had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations

Below the driver's feet area of the chassis there is a three-element vertical turning vane. This picks up the airflow underneath the raised section of the chassis and sets up a turning moment to sweep it outwards. After that, there are the bargeboards.

On the Ferrari, the bargeboards are mounted quite well forward whereas on the Mercedes they are tucked in quite close to the sidepod leading edge. These evolve from a single element component into three elements at the top edge. This is to allow them to work the inner surface of the bargeboard harder in that area. The lower edges are mounted on some delta-style horizontal turning vanes going from the T-tray part of the floor to the outer corner of the sidepods.

These components are there to prepare the airflow for the leading edge of the underfloor. The vertical components mounted on the outer corners do not go all the way down to the forward-facing horizontal fin coming out of the lower front corner of the floor.

All of these components are there to reduce the effect of the turbulent wake coming off the trailing edge of the front tyre and to help manage the airflow coming around the leading edge of the sidepods and underfloor.

The horizontal wing section evolving out of the top outer corner of the sidepod again just alters the airflow slightly coming off the top of the front tyre to improve the airflow over the top of the sidepods.

All the components from the front-wing mounting pillar to the last turning vane on the corner of the sidepod work together to modify the airflow to the leading edge of the underfloor. This means together they are probably responsible for something in excess of 20% of the car's overall downforce.

It is very difficult to say who has pushed the boat out furthest in this area, Mercedes or Ferrari. But I have to say that I expected more from Ferrari because I don't see this as a big step forward from what it had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations.

Ferrari has twin radiator inlets. One is forward facing, which is by comparison fairly small, and then another one is in the top leading edge surface of the sidepod. The undercut section of the sidepod blends into the chassis side nicely, separating the airflow into what is required for cooling and what is required to produce downforce.

You can see a similarity between the Sauber and the Ferrari in this area. Also, the vane on the top surface of the halo is very similar to both the Sauber and the Toro Rosso.

The wheelbase looks a little longer than 2017. That is not the wrong thing to do and if I was Ferrari I would have added a bit more - maybe not quite as much as Mercedes but it gives some extra space to better manage the airflow between the rear of the front tyre and the sidepod leading edge. Also, for the fast corners it makes the car that little bit more forgiving.

Ferrari looks as if it is running a little more rake (higher rear ride height) on the car. This is not as much as we have seen on the Red Bull, which does exploit rake to the maximum.

Both Mercedes and Ferrari have stuck with their 2017 packaging philosophies, with a little bit of overlap. So, it will be very interesting to see who has made the most progress.

From what I have seen so far from the top three teams so far, I think I would stick my neck out and say we might just be in for a predictable season, but track testing will reveal a lot more.

So, before placing any bets, let's wait to see what happens in Barcelona testing.

I just read this last part. Everything he said before this bolded underlined line is speculative. Things will change come testing and Melbourne. And some of us regulars know that they always change the aero from GP to GP. The car is hardly ever the same one.

the camera that was on the miroirs till last year is now at the bottom of the sidepods inlets ...FCF94048-7D29-4160-A023-A5CDA062B13D.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    Yes, she does look angry even while standing still.

The elements look very tidy, very built in to the overall design and not just bolted on as afterthoughts.
    Yeah, hopefully we have a winner then

Finally, the return of almost all-red Ferrari. Really hope this will also mark the return of WCC and WDC to our team.

will the Ferrari PU be Powerful

I just read this last part. Everything he said before this bolded underlined line is speculative. Things will change come testing and Melbourne. And some of us regulars know that they always change the aero from GP to GP. The car is hardly ever the same one.
    Noy even then.The championship is an on going development. Things will propably change in season too.After the summer break we will have a clearer picture.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

illustration on that aero mirror...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWtFMkeX0AARNvl.jpg

In a bit more detail, the sf71-h wing mirrors

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...idepod_inlets/

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    I reckon this would be copied by all teams very quickly.
    They can copy it, however not all teams have the top hole in the sidepod, 1 of the main reasons for the Ferrari wirrors is to,redirect air into the top opening sidepod hole.

Other than Gary Anderson (on who I don't put too much faith) the general consensus seems to be that we have a very strong and innovative car again, a lot of work has gone into what was probably our biggest drawback last year - aero efficiency, everything is nice and tidy, the packaging is amazing and the new sidepods should be a big step forward compared to what we had last year because they are basically half the size and this means a lot less drag.

Here is some analysis I've found on my fav utube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by danlauz View Post
    I would like to know how the air is going through mirrors? I mean isn't mirror from the other side? There has to be some holes, I recon.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I would like to know how the air is going through mirrors? I mean isn't mirror from the other side? There has to be some holes, I recon.
    Post #133....the mirror's between the green and yellow arrows with some spacing to allow for the air to be directed to their respective areas.

Do we know if ferrari are doing a shake down of the new car at all this weekend b4 they go to Spain on Monday?

I mean we are allowed 100km of filming day, NO?
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

sunday shake down

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Do we know if ferrari are doing a shake down of the new car at all this weekend b4 they go to Spain on Monday?

I have'nt seen anything but the minute that "testarossa" hits the track for it's shakedown I will post pics and keep you informed.

there ya go....Sunday it is as I just saw djmorin27's post.

So.... how long before that mirror design gets banned?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So.... how long before that mirror design gets banned?
    Well it does act as a aero device so who knows.....the FIA may send ferrari a “love” letter asking them kindly to have them replaced with more conventional ones by the time we get to OZ.....we,ll see, only time will tell
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Post #133....the mirror's between the green and yellow arrows with some spacing to allow for the air to be directed to their respective areas.
    Thank you

Very enigmatic post by Léo Turrini today saying our car is hidding underneath skin something that should give the team an advantage.
    They seems very confident because of that ..

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmito View Post
    Very enigmatic post by Léo Turrini today saying our car is hidding underneath skin something that should give the team an advantage.
    They seems very confident because of that ..
    Hm, maybe we have a V10 engine in there from the F2004.....lol

Hope what he says it’s true, about time Ferrari pushed the limits right to the VERY edge of the envelope

Well it does act as a aero device so who knows.....the FIA may send ferrari a “love” letter asking them kindly to have them replaced with more conventional ones by the time we get to OZ.....we,ll see, only time will tell
    If that’s the case then i’d wish they had not shown it and just install them at the last moment in OZ.. remember how Redbull used to race with parts until they banned only halfway through the season.

"After it’s launch on Thursday 22nd February, the SF71H will be transported to Barcelona’s Catalunya Circuit, for a filming day on Sunday 25th, followed by the start of testing proper on Monday 26th."

I don't get it why not hide the new mirrors and introduce them at FP @ Melbourne...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

I guess we have something even better and want to distract others with mirrors

When you take into consideration all the new things Ferrari introduced at launch, who knows what else the team is going to introduce come testing. If we don't introduce new innovations during testing i'll be slightly disappointed as to why we introduced all of those things at launch and revealed all of our cards.

Nevertheless, Ferrari is the team with the most innovations presented at launch. Let's see what the others have up their sleeve at testing in Barca.