-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Yes

Translate plz..???

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Translate plz..???
    Basically a new "exhaust" for hot air produced by the engine.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

The secret behind floor tunnels on Ferrari's SF71H 2018 F1 car

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...cdd328c93d.jpg

Ferrari's 2018 SF71H Formula 1 car grabbed attention in pre-season testing thanks to the appearance of new bodywork tunnels exiting alongside the gearbox.

The intrigue over the tunnels was such that they prompted some wild conspiracy theories about double diffusers, although these suggestions were wide of the mark.

These channels are instead the latest step of a clever design path that Ferrari has been working on in recent seasons.

Since 2016, Ferrari began working on the idea of an extra channel on top of the diffuser area to help direct airflow. This trench was previously left open, but for this year it has taken the step of covering it to increase its power.

The extra push in this area is also directly linked to the team's decision to increase its car's wheelbase this year.

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...508d9f48ec.jpg

downforce tracks like Monaco and Hungary, it lacked the balance and aerodynamic efficiency required on more flowing circuits.

Increasing the wheelbase for 2018 - from 3550mm to 3678mm - allows the team to better manage airflow across the car's surfaces, and especially at the rear of the car, without it forcing the need for high-drag wings.

As Giorgio Piola's drawing (above) shows, Ferrari has achieved its longer car by moving its front wheels forward a little bit, but its rear wheels have been shifted backwards much more.

As well as lengthening the sidepods, the team has also moved the radiators and power unit forward to free up some space at the rear. This has the benefit of allowing the team to run ultra-tight packaging at the rear of the car.

But as well as very narrow sculpted bodywork at the rear, the design has opened up the chance to exploit more the airflow around the diffuser.

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...d4334c4134.jpg

This means the channels run right alongside the wall of the new gearbox, which helps accelerate airflow to help feed the diffuser.

You can also see how Ferrari has shaped the gearbox covering to help channel air too.

How the channels work

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...64b5627f83.jpg

The outlets that can be seen at the rear of the car are actually fed by a trough in the floor that has been present on the last few generations of car (2016's SF16H above).

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...bbfae11f74.jpg

Rather than the trough being exposed as it was in the past, Ferrari has now shrouded it with bodywork so the airflow around the coke bottle region has contours to follow.

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.ne...2a53863a63.jpg

This bodywork should provide a protective barrier for the flow, helping it to navigate the region more effectively over a wider number of operating conditions.

The team will hope that the SF71H delivers its peak performance more consistently at different tracks - and is especially better on the longer flowing circuits where Mercedes excelled in 2017.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-floor-tunnels

^^^^^The SF71-H is 5 inches or 12.8cm longer at the WB than the SF70-H^^^^^^

No wonder she looked long at the back when the pics surfaced.

I really keen to hear what Haas thinks of 2018 Ferrari.engine. I feel the new improved Haas has lot to do with the new engine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I really keen to hear what Haas thinks of 2018 Ferrari.engine. I feel the new improved Haas has lot to do with the new engine .

Nice to see another Ferrari fan on this forum from new Zealand. Cheers

Hey
    Whereabouts in nz are ya from
    I am from Palmerston North, Hartley's home town.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Hey
    Whereabouts in nz are ya from
    I am from Palmerston North, Hartley's home town.

I am from Auckland mate

There no doubts that Ferrari has a shorter wheelbase. No chance that they have a same dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    There no doubts that Ferrari has a shorter wheelbase. No chance that they have a same dimensions

https://i.imgur.com/CWutkP7.jpg
    Good spot! I agree, I don’t think they’d add as much as 12cm to the wheelbase. I think 6-8cm is much more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    Good spot! I agree, I don’t think they’d add as much as 12cm to the wheelbase. I think 6-8cm is much more likely.
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ncere-1015429/

It looks we have aero problems again

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post

https://i.imgur.com/CWutkP7.jpg

......W09 has a 3680mm wb vs the SF71-H has a 3678mm wb....by a difference of 2mm.....so yes, in this case, the SF71-H does have a shorter wheelbase.

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...ncere-1015429/

It looks we have aero problems again
    Could you/anyone translate this please?

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    ......W09 has a 3680mm wb vs the SF71-H has a 3678mm wb....by a difference of 2mm.....so yes, in this case, the SF71-H does have a shorter wheelbase.
    I think that assumes that the Motorsport.com article that stated this is 100% accurate. Sure, it might be, but it might not be.

Could you/anyone translate this please?
    They say they are working a lot to understand the new car, during the test at montmelò they had to take sm downforce out of the front to compensate the rear which was a bit too nervous. Btw they see the potential and they are happy with the 062evo engine in terms both of performance and reliability

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by F312T4 View Post
    They say they are working a lot to understand the new car, during the test at montmelò they had to take sm downforce out of the front to compensate the rear which was a bit too nervous. Btw they see the potential and they are happy with the 062evo engine in terms both of performance and reliability

so basically , we had to trim down our front down force since the back was stepping out (because of lack of rear down force ???) that explains why we were so slow in the corners.... the question is, can it be fixed before melbourne? or do we have to make another chassis? and if so , how long will it take...?

Quote Originally Posted by f412 View Post
    so basically , we had to trim down our front down force since the back was stepping out (because of lack of rear down force ???) that explains why we were so slow in the corners.... the question is, can it be fixed before melbourne? or do we have to make another chassis? and if so , how long will it take...?
    I don't think they will make another chassis, it looks like the long WB and high rake is messing up aero

Quote Originally Posted by f412 View Post
    Can’t make another chassis as you’d have to crash test it and not enough time now. Just have to reign it in.

Hopefully it won’t take long to get the car running to its potential. I hope it’s not anything fundamental. I am sure they will surprise us this weekend! Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    Hopefully it won’t take long to get the car running to its potential. I hope it’s not anything fundamental. I am sure they will surprise us this weekend! Looking forward to it.
    hopefully will be a GOOD surprise
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    hopefully will be a GOOD surprise
    Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by F312T4 View Post

Sounds like Turrini and all the media were spot on, i remember first week the car was really bad on the corners, few people mentioned it too elsewhere. Seems like the parts dont work well together, hope the Legend Sergio M steps in and makes them fix this Asap or gets new people who can do the job better, another boring Mercedes 1-2 every race with redbull in 3rd will really be awful. I mean the mirrors as a aero boost is cool looking and all for 2018 but is that the best? i guess im underwhelmed since we know RB is bringing giant package of boost and mercs were 1s ahead in race sim. No word from ferrari on maybe a new suspension to help them catch up (most experts giving similar sentiments that the car is very lazy in turning) or updates or anything beside the company man speech, we'l have to wait and see hopefully its not raining race weekend or Sunday, but if we are still awful by the time sunday hits i hope it rains buckets and Seb finds a way to win :D haha
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Hopefully
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    Sounds like Turrini and all the media were spot on, i remember first week the car was really bad on the corners, few people mentioned it too elsewhere. Seems like the parts dont work well together, hope the Legend Sergio M steps in and makes them fix this Asap or gets new people who can do the job better, another boring Mercedes 1-2 every race with redbull in 3rd will really be awful. I mean the mirrors as a aero boost is cool looking and all for 2018 but is that the best? i guess im underwhelmed since we know RB is bringing giant package of boost and mercs were 1s ahead in race sim. No word from ferrari on maybe a new suspension to help them catch up (most experts giving similar sentiments that the car is very lazy in turning) or updates or anything beside the company man speech, we'l have to wait and see hopefully its not raining race weekend or Sunday, but if we are still awful by the time sunday hits i hope it rains buckets and Seb finds a way to win :D haha
    I have another idea. The LEGEND SM fire all design department ,and design a new car by himself!!!!! It will be EPIC !!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!