Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161728 ... LastLast

Thread: SF71H 2018 Contender

Quote Originally Posted by slak View Post
    For once, can we not say our car will blown the competition away. I think we jinx it everytime. Let us wait and see
    Ferrari is looking at this thread and thinking they can stop with development. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yep ,we have s-duct
    You are right. Beneath the nose

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    Subtle cue to Marlboro on the shark fin
    I don't think so. It is a place for driver racing number

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    And those gold rims... :)
    Looks silver to me

Why isn’t the Ferrari shield on the engine cover?! It’s so bare?!

I'm guessing the new e cig sponser will go on the engine cover

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Dont think so.Maybe it looks like it because Merc is a lot bulkier in the front
    The angle is not the same so it is difficult to judge. I would say that if Ferrari is not slimmer than they are same

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I don't think so. It is a place for driver racing number
    They could have had any shape in the world for that, but it looks like the Marlboro triangle and box to me. Ferrari and Marlboro don't do coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Looks silver to me
    I meant I 'd like them to be golden :)
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

They could have had any shape in the world for that, but it looks like the Marlboro triangle and box to me. Ferrari and Marlboro don't do coincidence.
    The shape was there even in the last year's car.. let's consider it as that serves both as an ad and to display the number..
    FERRARI FOREVER...!!!

It's the number of the driver. Alot of real-estate on the engine cover which IMO looks to be where the Scuderia Ferrari red and white flag will go with the S/F yellow shield and IQOS. We may see this at testing or Melbourne for said logo's.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's the number of the driver. Alot of real-estate on the engine cover which IMO looks to be where the Scuderia Ferrari red and white flag will go with the S/F yellow shield and IQOS. We may see this at testing or Melbourne for said logo's.
    Space in the rear wing too.. without the stickers looks so bare..
    FERRARI FOREVER...!!!

NOW THIS IS INTERESTING!!!!!.....can't say I have seen this before. I'm sure we will be hearing more about this. My guess, get some or most of the Y250 vortex to channel it underneath the car to create more high pressure (faster moving air) to suction the car more to the ground. It's just a guess.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWpsx8OXUAAh2_j.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post

I meant to say IQOS needs to go somewhere but NOT on the cover. Your suggestion on the rear wing is what I was thinking and also the front wings on all those 'MACH 3 Turbo" wing elements.

so this innovative aero device on the mirror, is that even legal?? just wondering, because i remember some years ago that having aero benefits from mirror or front camera posts were deemed illegal and ferrari had to redesign new camera posts

https://imgur.com/a/MkBPR
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    we dont' like it being all bare rear RED wing....but i'm sure STEFA loves it....ha, a....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    so this innovative aero device on the mirror, is that even legal?? just wondering, because i remember some years ago that having aero benefits from mirror or front camera posts were deemed illegal and ferrari had to redesign new camera posts

https://imgur.com/a/MkBPR
    maybe the regs have changed. IDK.

Does anyone have any links to some super high rez pics of the new car?

Very nice, minus the halo. Lets see where we are in the pecking order after Melbourne...

Disappointed Since 2010

Finally a team has come out with something substantial. The body work is very sloped like the RedBull has been doing for the past couple years. Front wing has a bundle of elements and seems much more complex. The sidepod inlets are TINY, hoping there is no cooling issues. The mirrors are very innovative. Looks like a lot of work went into the bargeboard area, which seems to be an important zone as a lot of teams went with longer wheelbases to maximize aero benefits in this area.

I personally think it's too much red, and I don't like the name. But very excited to see how it performs.

Aggression all the way, well done Scuderia

The car is beautiful! You can tell how much work and thought went into this. Let's hope she's fast and reliable!! And I must say, the halo doesn't look bad on our car!
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Aha... Me too

SF71-H is quite a looker and it's great to see some more innovation, the red halo is a nice touch but it's still an eyesore, and there is just a little too much red, it needs some black or even a little white to break it up, but the sponsor stuff should do that...oh, and gold wheels would have been nice! Can't wait to see how it performs.

Few years ago people complained our car wasn’t red enough, now it’s basically all red people want white/black again!

No pleasing people eh?

Those tiny air intakes on the sidepods are quite amazing. Looks so efficient compared to last year.

Why don't we make them gold lol. Is it against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Few years ago people complained our car wasn’t red enough, now it’s basically all red people want white/black again!

No pleasing people eh?
    I have nothing against being dominantly red like now, in fact i love it. However, are the grey shades really the best choice? I think red goes better with white or black and not grey.

Gary Anderson's analysis:

For Ferrari to mount a real season-long challenge to Mercedes for either championship, it needs to be on top of the reliability problems that cost it last year. And it needs the drivers, especially Sebastian Vettel, not to be quite so hot-headed.

On top of that, Ferrari needs a car that is a bit faster, especially at the higher-speed tracks. After all, at the end of last year its average performance over the season was still 0.178% down on Mercedes. That's a lot better than the 0.866% deficit of 2016, but to put up a season-long challenge it needs to be nip and tuck between the two every race. Plus, there might just be another team or two joining the party, so it's not just about Mercedes.

Looking back, there were 11 different winners in 1982 and 30 years later, in 2012, the season started off with seven different drivers winning in the first seven races. I'm not saying we'll see that again, but we can keep hoping for it and there's a chance it could be a bit more competitive up front. Then, being competitive every race is doubly important.

Looking at the Ferrari's front wing assembly, it is the de rigeur multi-element design that all the cars have. Six or seven elements seems to have become the norm and the placing of the slot gaps between each element is down to how an individual team views pitch sensitivity.

Most teams understand that consistent aerodynamics are much more important than peaky downforce, but the big question is where do you draw the line between consistency and out and out downforce?

The add-on vanes on the forward upper outer corner are the first ones that I can see make reasonable sense. Normally, they are vanes of all different shapes, curves and sizes but on the Ferrari they are fairly uniform. The vanes are there to set up a turning moment on the airflow that would normally hit the front tyre and then just send itself wherever it fancied going. This is quite a neat little package of components.

The front wing mounting pillars are three dimensional with two vertical slot gaps. They are fairly invisible from the front view, but they are there to pull more airflow between the FIA-defined central wing section and the bottom of the nose.

This flow then gets pulled through via the S-duct to the top of the chassis. All this increases the mass flow underneath the chassis and the exit of the S-duct reduces the lift on the upper part of the nose/chassis intersection.

I don't see the sidepods as a big step forward from what Ferrari had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations
    Below the driver's feet area of the chassis there is a three-element vertical turning vane. This picks up the airflow underneath the raised section of the chassis and sets up a turning moment to sweep it outwards. After that, there are the bargeboards.

On the Ferrari, the bargeboards are mounted quite well forward whereas on the Mercedes they are tucked in quite close to the sidepod leading edge. These evolve from a single element component into three elements at the top edge. This is to allow them to work the inner surface of the bargeboard harder in that area. The lower edges are mounted on some delta-style horizontal turning vanes going from the T-tray part of the floor to the outer corner of the sidepods.

These components are there to prepare the airflow for the leading edge of the underfloor. The vertical components mounted on the outer corners do not go all the way down to the forward-facing horizontal fin coming out of the lower front corner of the floor.

All of these components are there to reduce the effect of the turbulent wake coming off the trailing edge of the front tyre and to help manage the airflow coming around the leading edge of the sidepods and underfloor.

The horizontal wing section evolving out of the top outer corner of the sidepod again just alters the airflow slightly coming off the top of the front tyre to improve the airflow over the top of the sidepods.

All the components from the front-wing mounting pillar to the last turning vane on the corner of the sidepod work together to modify the airflow to the leading edge of the underfloor. This means together they are probably responsible for something in excess of 20% of the car's overall downforce.

It is very difficult to say who has pushed the boat out furthest in this area, Mercedes or Ferrari. But I have to say that I expected more from Ferrari because I don't see this as a big step forward from what it had last year. This is where you can make significant differences because of the freedom in this important area of the regulations.

Ferrari has twin radiator inlets. One is forward facing, which is by comparison fairly small, and then another one is in the top leading edge surface of the sidepod. The undercut section of the sidepod blends into the chassis side nicely, separating the airflow into what is required for cooling and what is required to produce downforce.

You can see a similarity between the Sauber and the Ferrari in this area. Also, the vane on the top surface of the halo is very similar to both the Sauber and the Toro Rosso.

The wheelbase looks a little longer than 2017. That is not the wrong thing to do and if I was Ferrari I would have added a bit more - maybe not quite as much as Mercedes but it gives some extra space to better manage the airflow between the rear of the front tyre and the sidepod leading edge. Also, for the fast corners it makes the car that little bit more forgiving.

Ferrari looks as if it is running a little more rake (higher rear ride height) on the car. This is not as much as we have seen on the Red Bull, which does exploit rake to the maximum.

Both Mercedes and Ferrari have stuck with their 2017 packaging philosophies, with a little bit of overlap. So, it will be very interesting to see who has made the most progress.

From what I have seen so far from the top three teams so far, I think I would stick my neck out and say we might just be in for a predictable season, but track testing will reveal a lot more.

So, before placing any bets, let's wait to see what happens in Barcelona testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post

No pleasing people eh?
    it wasn't all people....it was JUST Stefa.....ha, ha...

in all seriousness, the all RED looks really, really GOOD.....and the way they did the halo with red and black, it looks soooooo much thinner then the others....or maybe its' just me....ha, ha..