Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353647 ... LastLast

Thread: Barcelona Testing 2018

I still see it as Merc slightly ahead of Ferrari with RBR in third... we'll know more next week...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's only testing.....times and speed traps are pretty much irrevalent at this point due to engine modes, suspension setup, fuel loads, tyre strategy, etc. etc. Testing is more about laps and mileage with some aero testing....thats it.

Turrini, Gary Anderson, Ted Kravitz are all speculating. This year is completely different than the last year for one main reason: EVERYONE HAS THE SAME ENGINE, SAME MODES AND SAME SOFTWARE with tight regulation on the oil burning issue (I am speculating on this as I don't know the specifics of the process).

This is going to be the tightest racing as we have seen in awhile since the intro of this hybrid formula.

I'm more worried about Turn 1 at the start of the race at every GP than anything else!!!!!
    They've cut the "burning oil as gas (petrol)" in half (from 1.2 to .6)

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Gary Anderson is someone who can't see the bigger picture. Always goes by data and is lacking common sense

Has he taken engine modes, different track temps/ time of day, age of tyres into consideration, the fact there might be more fuel in the car, the fact Ferrari were doing their programme and not performance runs?

I finished 1st nationaly and 4th overall worldwide in the Castrol F1 predictor last year, does that make me an expert since I can predict race outcomes, fastest laps, poles, most positions gained etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    I finished 1st nationaly and 4th overall worldwide in the Castrol F1 predictor last year, does that make me an expert since I can predict race outcomes, fastest laps, poles, most positions gained etc.
    I know it made you an expert in 2017 at picking the Castrol F1 predictor

Although last year was great IMO. Testing was sooo good for first time for Ferrari. Any tire, any corner we where the fastes. Confirmed it in season in Barcelona as well. We were 0.35s infront of Mercs by sector 3 where Vettel always makes mistake. This year...I dunno. Hopefully change to longer car wont affect us badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Anderson via Silent Bob View Post
    3 FERRARI - Fading over the week
    Given that the final day of the test was effectively day three, I was very surprised not to see a better Ferrari on track than we did earlier in the week. On Monday, I felt it had made up ground because the car looked very good, but it looks like the only car not to have significantly improved.
    If Gary Anderson is right, then this is terrific news. There are 2 reasons Ferrari wouldn't have improved:-
    1) what we changed didn't work, but that wouldn't change the fact that the original version was very fast
    OR
    2) we knew we were very fast and were seriously sandbagging to cover our speed.

I think 2) is more likely given how good we were out of the box on day-1.

I wonder about the rake and whether that is as much a sandbagging mechanism as it is a measure of how much rear down-force we are trying to generate with this year's car. We have not had an extremely high rake ethos in our designs to date, so, you might expect a slight increase if that was a change we targeted. We may see that rake become less pronounced as we move through the second round of practice, but, if we are sandbagging (and I really hope it is so) then I hope we don't give anything away until we absolutely have to.

But then again, I've always been a "glass half full" kind of guy

Last year's championship was not won in March, so I don't see any reason to believe that will be the case this year. We'll know exactly how good our foundation is after Melbourne. Everything before then is purely conjecture. Hopefully, Ferrari will win the development battle this season.

Disappointed Since 2010

will you let us know your prediction for Australia when you have finalized it?

Meh it's just testing so it means absolutely nothing. Also if this car is an evolution of last years car it may suffer from the same problem of being slow when the track is cool and fast when it's warm.

Gary is & was always a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I still see it as Merc slightly ahead of Ferrari with RBR in third... we'll know more next week...
    so same as last year, let's hope not.

Hey guys, here is my take in watching the testing.
    I saw that Vettel always had problems in to the first corner. He went in deep almost all the time, or he had the rear tiers locking up, or the car was moving a bit in the braking zone. The front end was going in, but the back was stepping out, and he had to correct it more than a few times. The other was the brakes locking up, the rear was locking up, so the rear became too light, downforce inbalance, like Gary was saying. It was only entry into the corner, but out of the corner, our car was so smooth, Vettel got on the power so early too.
    The main problem is braking after a long straight, we have a downforce inbalance, the back end doesnt respond as the front does. Hope they will fix it for next week, otherwise, we will have problems. Like Gary said, this is testing. I dont like the man, but he said exactly what I saw.
    Also, today, we have a "filming day", in other words, bit of testing, 100km of testing!! I think its about 25 laps. So, maybe this is also help us.
    I think we found out the problem on Thursday, because we didnt do so much fast running in higher temps on Tuesday.
    I am hopeful, but we will see. Our car is not bad on the straights, we have good corner exit speed, but they need to solve the problem in the braking zone.

Seriously?!!?? After only 3 days of test in very cold temperature and wet, there are people that already writes off this season!?!?!??!

Speed traps through sectors say Hamilton went pretty hard and Vettel was the one sandbagging heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Speed traps through sectors say Hamilton went pretty hard and Vettel was the one sandbagging heavily.
    Absolutely vettel was near 16 km/h less than the normal max speed at t1!!

Official speed spain gp 2017 quali. Vettel.
    T1 293
    T2 299
    Test 2018 thursday
    T1 277
    T2 283
    Sandbagging.
    Hamilton was a lot closer if you want the same comparison.

I think ferrari we’re playing with many things on Thursday, Gary Anderson said the floor was high at the end of the straights when it wasn’t on the first day, this is detrimental to straight line speed. So wouldn’t read much into the numbers.

Let’s see what next week brings.

Quote Originally Posted by jragona View Post
    I think ferrari we’re playing with many things on Thursday, Gary Anderson said the floor was high at the end of the straights when it wasn’t on the first day, this is detrimental to straight line speed. So wouldn’t read much into the numbers.

Let’s see what next week brings.
    Yes, floor was higher, but what he means is, the car is not lowering due to the downforce, car is sitting higher. When the car squat down, it reduces the area of the car, and lift the front wing a little bit, which reduces downforce, but reduces drag also. So, he was saying the, in the braking zone, the car was sitting at the rear a lot higher, which means it creates a lot of downforce at the front, which is causing an inbalance. The front has a lot of grip, the rear has less, so when he turns in, the rear try to break free or lock up under breaking. I saw that on the videos.
    I think they are playing with setup, and they had a new floor, so maybe they were trying something. We will see, today they have a filming day, so they will use it for something.

It's not doomsaying to point out that the last four years of F1 championships have been won by the team w/ the best engine on the grid, and they've won those titles running away. That's called history.

Until we see that the formula has changed enough that it no longer puts the most emphasis on engine performance, or we see that another team has an engine now on par w/ or better than Mercedes, Merc is the favorite for both titles in 2018 also. Sebastian is not wrong in stating that...he's just stating the obvious.

I have hope in Ferrari, and firm confidence in Vettel at least, but this is still an uphill battle until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    It's not doomsaying to point out that the last four years of F1 championships have been won by the team w/ the best engine on the grid, and they've won those titles running away. That's called history.

Until we see that the formula has changed enough that it no longer puts the most emphasis on engine performance, or we see that another team has an engine now on par w/ or better than Mercedes, Merc is the favorite for both titles in 2018 also. Sebastian is not wrong in stating that...he's just stating the obvious.

I have hope in Ferrari, and firm confidence in Vettel at least, but this is still an uphill battle until proven otherwise.
    Pretty much, and with Mercs actually getting to 1000bhp that's most likely going to rocket them to there dominance pre 2017. looking at Hamilton's non serious practice time smoking away everyone on the mediums shows how confidant they are.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmito View Post
    Official speed spain gp 2017 quali. Vettel.
    T1 293
    T2 299
    Test 2018 thursday
    T1 277
    T2 283
    Sandbagging.
    Hamilton was a lot closer if you want the same comparison.
    Do you have the Hamiltons speed trap numbers? Would love to see it as a compariosn.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Do you have the Hamiltons speed trap numbers? Would love to see it as a compariosn.
    https://i.redd.it/97x34tvv8jj01.jpg
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!
    Where do you get it from?? Do you need a subscription for this?
    Or is it from F1 live timing???

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!
    Where do you get it from?? Do you need a subscription for this?
    Or is it from F1 live timing???
    I took it from a fellow admin in a Greek group (for scuderia Ferrari)on fb
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    will you let us know your prediction for Australia when you have finalized it?
    Will do��

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmito View Post
    Absolutely vettel was near 16 km/h less than the normal max speed at t1!!
    We should be cautious about taking these as face value. we dont know if hamilton set these speeds in his fastest lap, maybe he was pushing in sector 1, then next lap sector 2 and then maybe later on he did his best lap but at a lower speed. It could be misleading. one thing is for sure, seb was not pushing when he set his time, maybe the engine was turned down all the way, because he had to make up ground in the corners, so he must have carried more speed in the corners and acceleration. It is some good news I guess, next week, we will get a little bit of a better picture.

So if we go by Gary Anderson ranking, let's think of the below points.
    - The new Ferrari engine is several KM slower then last years engine as shown in the speed trap figures above.
    - The Reb Bull has superior, i mean much superior aero then the rest of the field, as they have not just overtaken Merc as the fastest team but done it with an engine which is regarded as 3rd best OR (see below)
    - The RB chassis is not the best but Renault power engine is now the benchmark engine in Formula 1, this can be highlghted by Red Bull being the fastest team and Renault works team making a massive jump as they are a few tenths behind Ferrari now.
    Or my favourite point which is Gary Anderson couldn't tell his right hand from his left hand.

We should be cautious about taking these as face value. we dont know if hamilton set these speeds in his fastest lap, maybe he was pushing in sector 1, then next lap sector 2 and then maybe later on he did his best lap but at a lower speed. It could be misleading. one thing is for sure, seb was not pushing when he set his time, maybe the engine was turned down all the way, because he had to make up ground in the corners, so he must have carried more speed in the corners and acceleration. It is some good news I guess, next week, we will get a little bit of a better picture.
    1 thing we can conclude though is, The Ferrari has a lot more in it as their highest figures apart from the start line are significantly less. Shows we were not pushing maximum at any given time throughout the whole lap.

Or my favourite point which is Gary Anderson couldn't tell his right hand from his left hand.