Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 429404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1705

Thread: Barcelona Testing 2018

Quote Originally Posted by DelMar View Post
    Putting aside the assumption after assumption they use, the most stupid thing is he puts three digits after the point as if it has any "mathematical significance".
    Clearly English is not your first language and if not I applaud you for your command of it.
    I am not sure whose post you are referring to here...... but it appears you might need a little help with English Grammar.
    The digits you are referring to are punctuation marks.
    They are used to express surprise, astonishment, or any other such strong emotion. Any exclamatory sentence can be properly followed by an exclamation mark, to add additional emphasis.( !!!!!!)
    The other grammatical sign you may have trouble with are quotation marks
    Quotations marks (“ ”) are a pair of punctuation marks. They are used to indicate meanings and to indicate the unusual or dubious status of a word.

I trust I have not offended you during this explanation if so I did not mean to so apologies in advance.
    If you were referring to "my" last post just thought I would mention I am not a he but a she!!!!!

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    exactly, it's amazing how often theory is confused with truth.
    OMG, you doubting Darwin ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

For those interested, we will be using softs, SS and US in Melbourne.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...in-canada.html

The tyre selections are:
    soft, Supersoft & ultra soft (Australia)

Forza Jules

Barcelona Testing 2018

Th silver lining of all these, mediums is only used in half of the championship. (3 of the 6 first races at least)
    Botas have said they have complete control of medium and hard tires... I believe him, he told also they are suffering from blistering in the softer compounds.

For me, it looks like Mercedes is perfect in medium tires and clear advantage to them with those tires in any track that uses them.

Guys please don’t start the route of fake news, denialism and selected hearing... the same journos are specialized journeymen who have been predicting pecking order without fault since 2009 (except 2012 but that year was very special).

I think they maybe wrong this year too, because the weather on Barcelona, the new asphalt, the way Mercedes only tested hard compounds, the way Ferrari drove to a Delta, the weird numbers with Haas, and the usual British bias. BUT, I’m sure I can be wrong, we will have to cross our fingers and hope for the best, trusting our boys and girls in Manarello to deliver for us their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Clearly English is not your first language and if not I applaud you for your command of it.
    I am not sure whose post you are referring to here...... but it appears you might need a little help with English Grammar.
    The digits you are referring to are punctuation marks.
    They are used to express surprise, astonishment, or any other such strong emotion. Any exclamatory sentence can be properly followed by an exclamation mark, to add additional emphasis.( !!!!!!)
    The other grammatical sign you may have trouble with are quotation marks
    Quotations marks (“ ”) are a pair of punctuation marks. They are used to indicate meanings and to indicate the unusual or dubious status of a word.

I trust I have not offended you during this explanation if so I did not mean to so apologies in advance.
    If you were referring to "my" last post just thought I would mention I am not a he but a she!!!!!
    I know I’m not who you were responding to, but DelMar’s post was in regards to Gary Anderson’s “fuel corrected” lap times in which he provided them to the third decimal place... as if the hundreds and thousandths of a second actually mean something in a totally synthetic estimation of lap times.

Of course, correct me if I’m wrong DelMar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    I know I’m not who you were responding to, but DelMar’s post was in regards to Gary Anderson’s “fuel corrected” lap times in which he provided them to the third decimal place... as if the hundreds and thousandths of a second actually mean something in a totally synthetic estimation of lap times.

My Thoughts:

Last Year vettel starts the Race with 1.26/ Lap. According to this and that the Track is 2 Sec faster, car 1 Sec faster, and tyres 1.2 Faster ( Soft to SS) the Starting Lap Time must be 1.21,800 !
    So, Qualy is about 7 sec. quicker, 1.14.800 with SS tyres ?????????

Kimi did a 1.18.200 with SS in testing

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post
    My Thoughts:

Last Year vettel starts the Race with 1.26/ Lap. According to this and that the Track is 2 Sec faster, car 1 Sec faster, and tyres 1.2 Faster ( Soft to SS) the Starting Lap Time must be 1.21,800 !
    So, Qualy is about 7 sec. quicker, 1.14.800 with SS tyres ?????????

Kimi did a 1.18.200 with SS in testing
    New records for all the track maybe

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post

If that's the case then I am glad I apologised in advance. I just wasn't clear who he was responding to.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    If that's the case then I am glad I apologised in advance. I just wasn't clear who he was responding to.
    Hi RacingBradley, as JPBD explained I was just talking about the number of digits after the decimal point in his laptime estimates.

SF71-H during testing.....old (week1) vs. new (week2) engine cover rear view.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX3VQeUWAAIoeA-.jpg

Does Leclerc have some hard time adapting?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart18 View Post
    Can anyone translate? Sorry to be annoying but the pictures make this seem very interestinggggg

Anyone with engine knowledge. What the quick fix to make an engine less thirsty without losing performance. Please

Quote Originally Posted by FF1 View Post
    Anyone with engine knowledge. What the quick fix to make an engine less thirsty without losing performance. Please
    There probably isn't a "quick" solution to that, if there was, everyone would do it. But I'm sure the team will be able to make improvements there. Also, Shell can play a role here as well. But the question assumes that we have a problem. And I assume the questions is from the observations of pundits from the Barcelona testing. The assumption is our drivers, who were noticed to be lifting and coasting, were doing that to conserve fuel. It could be true, but it could also be we decided to run our race sim to a delta to not show our true race pace. Also, even if we have issues at Barcelona, that is a relatively high power circuit. There are plenty of circuits that aren't high power and where we may well not need to conserve fuel. In short there are too many variables to be sure of anything. Let's see what Saturday in Melbourne brings.

i really did not thought that after this year testing the hole world would talk about our deficit to Merc

Technical analysis: here is the Ferrari secret in the SF71H rear axle

Thanks to Giorgio Piola's drawings, we are able to show you what the work done by Ferrari technicians has done to make the most of the increase in wheelbase: the "channel" grazing the gearbox has been exaggerated to produce more aerodynamic load.

Why has Ferrari lengthened its pace like Mercedes, despite having a very agile and agile car last year?

The answer is simple: because the technicians of Mattia Binotto have tried to increase the aerodynamic load with the car body, in order to reduce the incidence of the wings and be faster at the speed trap and in the qualifying lap in the attempt to challenge the arrows silver.

The statement is quite clear, but it is interesting to try to find out how they tried this result in Maranello.

The SF71H has lengthened its pace with a small displacement of the front wheel forward (the radiators' mouth has also been anticipated because there is no longer the flow conveyor separated from the sides) and with a more marked growth in the rear axle.

Thanks to this design choice the radiant masses and the power unit are moved forward, so in the so-called Coca Cola area the Ferrari has become very narrow, having a bottom surface that creates one of the biggest sidewalk among those seen on the 2018 cars, so much so as to bring the lower part of the body into contact with the wall of the new gearbox, which is also less wide than that of 2017.

A very accurate aerodynamic study, carried out first at the CFD and then in the wind tunnel, has allowed to exaggerate the "channel" that the Cavallino technicians had created in this area of ​​the fund.

Since 2016, Ferrari has been developing a flow that touches the final part of the bottom: initially a sort of channel was created that began well before the elbow of the extractor profile and vented to the sides of the rear deformable structure, exploiting the keel shape of the tail, behind the transmission, to go to energize the micro flaps that the regulation allows to emboss the outlet edge of the speaker.

The aerodynamics of the Cavallino, Enrico Cardile and David Sanchez, in the last two years have worked hard in this area of ​​the Red to take the maximum advantage possible from a solution that does not cost in terms of resistance to progress, but can give a significant increase of the down force: above, we observe the version of the "channel" seen at Abu Dhabi 2017, while in the drawing below you can appreciate in yellow what was the increased surface compared to 2016.

This year the SF71H is able to exaggerate the passage of grazing air to the transmission wall: to obtain valid results, they worked elbow aerodynamic, canvasists and motorists. It was a not very visible intervention, but important and very demanding (and as such not easily copied during the season).

The new packaging of the 062 EVO power unit made it possible to clean up what was considered one of the strategic growth areas of the Red Army and, it seems, that the results were also seen on the track in the tests of Barcellone with the two Ferraris at the top of the table of the final times.

The increased air flow in the "channel" therefore required a change also at the end of the SF71H: in the drawing, below, in fact, we note how a megaphone-shaped bulkhead has been introduced that has the task of expanding the threads, improving its extraction.

Someone mistakenly spoke of the existence of a "double bottom", which is banned by the FIA ​​rules: the solution adopted by the Red is perfectly legal and testifies how we try to reproduce some effects with great imagination and originality.

The question that the fans of the Cavallino do is: just to beat the Mercedes?

Quote Originally Posted by FF1 View Post
    as enjaybel3 suggested, more efficient fuel/oil.
    any ideas engine experts?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroblue View Post

Thanks to Giorgio Piola's drawings, we are able to show you what the work done by Ferrari technicians has done to make the most of the increase in wheelbase: the "channel" grazing the gearbox has been exaggerated to produce more aerodynamic load.

Why has Ferrari lengthened its pace like Mercedes, despite having a very agile and agile car last year?

The answer is simple: because the technicians of Mattia Binotto have tried to increase the aerodynamic load with the car body, in order to reduce the incidence of the wings and be faster at the speed trap and in the qualifying lap in the attempt to challenge the arrows silver.

The statement is quite clear, but it is interesting to try to find out how they tried this result in Maranello.

The SF71H has lengthened its pace with a small displacement of the front wheel forward (the radiators' mouth has also been anticipated because there is no longer the flow conveyor separated from the sides) and with a more marked growth in the rear axle.

Thanks to this design choice the radiant masses and the power unit are moved forward, so in the so-called Coca Cola area the Ferrari has become very narrow, having a bottom surface that creates one of the biggest sidewalk among those seen on the 2018 cars, so much so as to bring the lower part of the body into contact with the wall of the new gearbox, which is also less wide than that of 2017.

A very accurate aerodynamic study, carried out first at the CFD and then in the wind tunnel, has allowed to exaggerate the "channel" that the Cavallino technicians had created in this area of ​​the fund.

Since 2016, Ferrari has been developing a flow that touches the final part of the bottom: initially a sort of channel was created that began well before the elbow of the extractor profile and vented to the sides of the rear deformable structure, exploiting the keel shape of the tail, behind the transmission, to go to energize the micro flaps that the regulation allows to emboss the outlet edge of the speaker.

The aerodynamics of the Cavallino, Enrico Cardile and David Sanchez, in the last two years have worked hard in this area of ​​the Red to take the maximum advantage possible from a solution that does not cost in terms of resistance to progress, but can give a significant increase of the down force: above, we observe the version of the "channel" seen at Abu Dhabi 2017, while in the drawing below you can appreciate in yellow what was the increased surface compared to 2016.

This year the SF71H is able to exaggerate the passage of grazing air to the transmission wall: to obtain valid results, they worked elbow aerodynamic, canvasists and motorists. It was a not very visible intervention, but important and very demanding (and as such not easily copied during the season).

The new packaging of the 062 EVO power unit made it possible to clean up what was considered one of the strategic growth areas of the Red Army and, it seems, that the results were also seen on the track in the tests of Barcellone with the two Ferraris at the top of the table of the final times.

The increased air flow in the "channel" therefore required a change also at the end of the SF71H: in the drawing, below, in fact, we note how a megaphone-shaped bulkhead has been introduced that has the task of expanding the threads, improving its extraction.

Someone mistakenly spoke of the existence of a "double bottom", which is banned by the FIA ​​rules: the solution adopted by the Red is perfectly legal and testifies how we try to reproduce some effects with great imagination and originality.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/th...nnels-1013893/

Quote Originally Posted by Retroblue View Post

The last line should be read: is enough to beat the Mercedes ?

Barcelona Testing 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    as enjaybel3 suggested, more efficient fuel/oil.
    any ideas engine experts?
    There is no quick fix for that, but we have to trust our boys and girls, they knew for all the past years that we consume more fuel than Mercedes, I’m sure we have done something about it, the important thing is, we have to consume enough to finish the race keeping the throttle down.

Shell surely can help some with that, and they have been great for us in the past.

But if we have a thirsty motor, we wouldn’t be able to keep performance and make it less thirsty without a big change.

Last edited by Aberracus; 12th March 2018 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    There is no quick fix for that, but we have to trust our boys, the knew for all the past years that we consume more fuel than Mercedes, I’m sure we have done something about it, the important thing is, we have to consume enough to finish the race keeping the throttle down.

Shell surely can help some with that, and they have been great for us in the past.

But if we have a thirsty motor, we wouldn’t be able to keep performance and make it less thirsty without a big change.

It's one thing coming up with a solution, it's another when and where to implement it.
    If they don't come up with a solution this week, then you'll be looking at months before it can be implemented, otherwise face penalty's later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    It's one thing coming up with a solution, it's another when and where to implement it.
    If they don't come up with a solution this week, then you'll be looking at months before it can be implemented, otherwise face penalty's later in the year.
    There’s no quick fix for something like that, if we have a thirsty engine, we will have it in Melbourne. IF....

que the Benny Hill theme song.....yes it's Mclaren again

https://streamable.com/8aqgx

Italian experts say Mercedes +0,4 ahead of Ferrari and +0,8 ahead Red Bull...........still to much

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Italian experts say Mercedes +0,4 ahead of Ferrari and +0,8 ahead Red Bull...........still to much
    Rightly puts us in second though, which is something! Aaaaaand the more I’ve thought about it over the last few days, the more I do think Ferrari were sandbagging at the test. It’s just an odd vibe I’m getting from them...it could just be the media blackout, but I’m sensing an air of quiet confidence.

Of course, it could just be blind bias so take that as you will! Equally they could be staying quiet to prevent humiliation come Australia.... but I just get a strange feeling they’re onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    SF71-H during testing.....old (week1) vs. new (week2) engine cover rear view.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX3VQeUWAAIoeA-.jpg
    its just shear luck that Alonso wasn't driving, he could have removed the head of one of the mechanics

Ferrari's smoking 2018 car: What's it all about and is it a problem?

There was an unusual phenomenon during winter testing - the smoking Ferrari SF71-H.

Every time the Scuderia's new car left the team's garage it trailed a plume of oily smoke, which wafted across the Circuit de Catalunya pit lane.

So what exactly was going on - and why?

Sky F1's Ted Kravitz explains:

"Each of the Ferrari-engined cars - so that's the factory Ferrari, the Haas and the Sauber - has a letterbox shaped rectangular vent directly underneath the rain light housed within the rear crash structure.

"It's there to accommodate an oil breather.

"Breathers are essential parts of any power unit on every car, but this year they've been subject to a new rule which says they must vent to the outside and cannot be routed back into the engine. This suggests teams were doing that previously which could have given them a power boost - but anyway, what is unusual, is that these Ferrari-engined cars are spewing out more oil than Renault or Mercedes-engined cars.

"There's a fine mist of oil coming out the Ferrari, Haas and Sauber's vents when out on track or even just when they are going down the pitlane.

"You could notice it, for instance, on the test two, day one edition of Ted's Notebook.

"It was abundantly clear whenever Sebastian Vettel fired up in the garage because a huge plume spilled out of the garage

"Asking around, it seems to be that the Ferrari engine simply uses an awful lot more oil than its rivals.

"It is, though, a different thing to oil burning which is now limited to 1.8 litres per race. That's oil that gets consumed within the combustion chamber. This is just used engine oil - a lot of it!

"The phenomenon of the smokin' Ferraris will be one to watch out for when racing starts."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...s-it-a-problem

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Does Leclerc have some hard time adapting?
    He'll be more than fine. He's had some time testing last year's SF70 and in Ferrari's simulator. It's a different car and he'll adapt accordingly. He seems very mature for his age and will do great things. Looking very forward to watching him take on Verstappen in the near future.

Disappointed Since 2010