Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202132 ... LastLast

Thread: Barcelona Testing 2018

A cold debut for the SF71H with Kimi at the wheel
    Montmelò – While Italy is freezing, the Barcelona area is not doing much better, even if the trees are already in blossom here. After a sunny Sunday, which meant that Scuderia Ferrari was able to comfortably complete its Filming Day, the “real” debut for the SF17H took place in plunging temperatures, with rain arriving towards the end of the session. However, by the end of the day, Kimi Raikkonen had completed 80 laps of the Catalunya Circuit, the fastest of them in 1’20”506 on Soft tyres. He worked through the first part of a programme that, over the course of this week, is given over mainly to acquiring data.

“The real problem, the only one today, was the weather,” summarised Kimi. “My first impressions with the new car were OK, but it’s still too early to make any judgement, especially given today’s conditions. These tyres aren’t designed to work at 8 degrees and it was difficult for everyone. As for the rest, our work had nothing to do with lap times and we just ran and changed a few things, trying to understand the car, which doesn’t seem to have any faults. Now we must try and do more kilometres.”

The first long run with the Halo protection fitted over the cockpit went off without any problems. “Compared to the tests we did in previous years, this time the Halo had been conceived as an integral part of the car design, which had not been possible before. I didn’t notice anything different to driving the car without the protection.”
    Testing continues tomorrow, with Sebastian Vettel, while it will once again be Kimi’s turn on Wednesday, with Seb then rounding off the first winter test.
    Forza Ferrari

Hello Boys and Girls, gadies and lentlemen,
    here are the top speeds,
    Not bad.

1. Räikkönen 288.7
    2. Hartley 284.9
    3. Stroll 283.4
    4. Alonso 282.7
    5. Hamilton 280.5
    6. Bottas 279.7
    7. Ericsson 279
    8. Sainz jr 277.6
    9. Ricciardo 277.6
    10.Grosjean 277.6
    11.Mazepin 276.9
    12.Hülkenberg 274.8
    13.Sirotkin 257.1

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    A cold debut for the SF71H with Kimi at the wheel

“The real problem, the only one today, was the weather,” summarised Kimi. “My first impressions with the new car were OK, but it’s still too early to make any judgement, especially given today’s conditions. These tyres aren’t designed to work at 8 degrees and it was difficult for everyone. As for the rest, our work had nothing to do with lap times and we just ran and changed a few things, trying to understand the car, which doesn’t seem to have any faults. Now we must try and do more kilometres.”
    “The real problem, the only one today, was the weather,” summarised Kimi.
    No it was'nt. Two drivers proved there was tractability and driveability in said conditions.

These tyres aren’t designed to work at 8 degrees and it was difficult for everyone
    Yes they are. Two drivers proved there was tractability and driveability and it was'nt difficult for everyone...you're just not going to drive as fast.

Now we must try and do more kilometres
    Exactly, so why did'nt this get done today as a Toro Rosso (with a Honda engine mind you) beat you on day 1. Also, if the weather persists how will Ferrari accomplish this??

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    No it was'nt. Two drivers proved there was tractability and driveability in said conditions.

Yes they are. Two drivers proved there was tractability and driveability and it was'nt difficult for everyone...you're just not going to drive as fast.

Exactly, so why did'nt this get done today as a Toro Rosso (with a Honda engine mind you) beat you on day 1. Also, if the weather persists how will Ferrari accomplish this??
    Toro Rosso did these km just because they have HONDA engine! They wanted to get done as many km as possible, rain or shine to see if the engine lasts.
    There are not many places where you would race in such temperatures. We did a 100km yesterday, in the sunshine. So it is ok. We did 80 laps, Mercedes did 83 laps.

LOL yeah what would Kimi know....and the tyres are NOT designed to run in such low temps but again what does Kimi know But you probably know more than him from your vast F1 career
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    There are not many places where you would race in such temperatures.
    We're not racing!!!!

We're not racing!!!!
    But Torro Rosso beat us????
    Forza Ferrari

LOL yeah what would Kimi know....and the tyres are NOT designed to run in such low temps but again what does Kimi know But you probably know more than him from your vast F1 career
    Since you put it that way, a lot less than Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo. I am basing my analysis on the track and two other drivers.

But Torro Rosso beat us????
    In laps....not time

Since you put it that way, a lot less than Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo.
    So have you asked them if the conditions were difficult? Course not you are just making it up.
    Forza Ferrari

In laps....not time
    We got beat on laps, oh no let's get the pitchforks out.
    Forza Ferrari

We're not racing!!!!
    Exactly, we will not see these types of temperatures during a race weekend, so you really cannot do any real data collection for racing weekends or do any setup work.
    Even the engines, they are running in so cold temperatures, it doesnt show if there are any overheating problems. Only checks they can run is to validate if the aero concepts work and just basic checks and maybe some setupwork and see how the car responds to changes in setups, but even this is limited given such temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Exactly, we will not see these types of temperatures during a race weekend, so you really cannot do any real data collection for racing weekends or do any setup work.
    Even the engines, they are running in so cold temperatures, it doesnt show if there are any overheating problems. Only checks they can run is to validate if the aero concepts work and just basic checks and maybe some setupwork and see how the car responds to changes in setups, but even this is limited given such temperatures.
    Really??? So the whole day was'nt cold??? Did it get up to nominal operating ambient temperatures sometime during the day??? Then why did so many teams run their cars today??? Given your synopsis, they should have NOT run at all today due to it was too cold.

As Kimi said it was difficult for all due to the low temps, not quite sure why you are finding that hard to grasp? Clearly the lower temps are going to affect the tyres....he is not talking about just when it was wet.
    Forza Ferrari

Listen experts i live in australia and melbourne will not be 8 degrees expect a very warm day compred to this nonsense very promising from Kimi .

As Kimi said it was difficult for all due to the low temps, not quite sure why you are finding that hard to grasp? Clearly the lower temps are going to affect the tyres....he is not talking about just when it was wet.
    They really blew some fast times today....they beat last years times by a full second set by Mercedes for day 1 and last year was'nt this cold. Difficult??? please.

They really blew some fast times today....they beat last years times by a full second set by Mercedes for day 1 and last year was'nt this cold. Difficult??? please.
    That's why they are highly skilled and highly paid they cope with difficult conditions and make it look easy to you sitting at your pc.....and it was not that cold all day....
    Forza Ferrari

That's why they are highly skilled and highly paid they cope with difficult conditions and make it look easy to you sitting at your pc.....
    duuuuh...tell me something else I don't know already.

duuuuh...tell me something else I don't know already.
    So why are you telling is Kimi is talking rubbish? times improved in the cold did they? Cars are going to be faster this year compared to last year so why are you suggesting today was easy cause they went faster than 12 months ago? different tyres, more rpm, new aero rules off course they will be quicker right away compared to 12 months ago.
    Forza Ferrari

So why are you telling is Kimi is talking rubbish? times improved in the cold did they? Cars are going to be faster this year compared to last year so why are you suggesting today was easy cause they went faster than 12 months ago? different tyres, more rpm, new aero rules off course they will be quicker right away compared to 12 months ago.
    So why are you telling is Kimi is talking rubbish?
    That's your opinion, not mine nor did I state that.

Cars are going to be faster this year compared to last year so why are you suggesting today was easy cause they went faster than 12 months ago? different tyres, more rpm, new aero rules off course they will be quicker right away compared to 12 months ago.
    not so DIFFICULT then is it???

That's your opinion, not mine nor did I state that.

not so DIFFICULT then is it???
    No it's easy, you should go do it, anyone can.....

Lower temps made is more difficult hence why lap times dropped, not hard to grasp. And anyone who follows F1 knows low temps in the tyres is going to make things more difficult, but you carry on.
    Forza Ferrari

"Tires are usually 80 degrees and now they were 60 degrees. Today's weather was the biggest problem. Otherwise everything worked fine. Testing is in early stages but so far OK."
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

No it's easy, you should go do it, anyone can.....

Lower temps made is more difficult hence why lap times dropped, not hard to grasp. And anyone who follows F1 knows low temps in the tyres is going to make things more difficult, but you carry on.
    No it's easy, you should go do it, anyone can
    I get this response from teenagers...I'll just leave it at that.

Lower temps made is more difficult hence why lap times dropped, not hard to grasp. And anyone who follows F1 knows low temps in the tyres is going to make things more difficult....
    Who said anything about lap TIMES!!!!!! I AM MERELY TALKING ABOUT LAPS.....THATS IT. I'm sure Kimi with all his expertise can just do laps...NOT LAP TIMES....JUST LIKE 2 OTHER DRIVERS DID!!!!

I get this response from teenagers...I'll just leave it at that.

Who said anything about lap TIMES!!!!!! I AM MERELY TALKING ABOUT LAPS.....THATS IT. I'm sure Kimi with all his expertise can just do laps...NOT LAP TIMES....JUST LIKE 2 OTHER DRIVERS DID!!!!
    Yeah and shouting on the internet is really adult Kimi said the low temps made it more difficult than it normally is, that is entirely true even if you said it isn't. The tyres also are not designed to run in these low temps as Kimi said, even if you said that was not true as well. And what are you on about 2 drivers? Kimi is not talking about just when it rained he is talking about the low temps. You seem to be confusing what he said with it being just about when it rained which is not what he said.

Who said anything about lap TIMES!!!!!!
    Who said anything about lap TIMES!!!!!!
    You?
    Forza Ferrari

Maybe Kimi is not the culprit here. Maybe the team deemed it unnecessary to test in such conditions according to their data. We need to hear a statement from the team, i think Kimi is not that relevant here.

But i see your point, why didn't we do as many laps as RB. However, Merc only did 3 more than us so it can't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

But i see your point, why didn't we do as many laps as RB. However, Merc only did 3 more than us so it can't be that bad.
    And we done 100km yesterday, but Torro Rosso beat us!!!!!!!!
    Forza Ferrari

And we done 100km yesterday, but Torro Rosso beat us!!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!! You really want to ride this train!!!!! Toro Rosso did their approved FIA 100km filming day as well.

OMG!!!! You really want to ride this train!!!!! Toro Rosso did their approved FIA 100km filming day as well.
    So as I said to quote you, they beat us!!!!!!!
    Forza Ferrari

So as I said to quote you, they beat us!!!!!!!
    Chill out guys, first day of testing

Not much for Ferrari and Merc to learn running at those temps which are not representative of a typical session by any means. They probably had started thinking of the things they want from tomorrow plus a crash could mean valuable time lost tomorrow.

RB and TR probably running engine tests but the works teams did not see the point for themselves, simple.