Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212233 ... LastLast

Thread: Barcelona Testing 2018

finally got a pic of this girls a....

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/96818...g&name=600x314

Quote Originally Posted by icedeepan View Post

RB and TR probably running engine tests but the works teams did not see the point for themselves, simple.
    good point. The only thing is that Mercedes has Reliability in there favour. Us, not so much....so they(MB) could sit it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    good point. The only thing is that Mercedes has Reliability in there favour. Us, not so much....so they(MB) could sit it out.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...er-2018-engine
    Forza Ferrari

read it day it came out...old news to me. Let's just see how it does over the course of the season.

read it day it came out...old news to me. Let's just see how it does over the course of the season.
    So why do we not have reliability?
    Forza Ferrari

Remember Mercedes have a new engine concept for this year as well. Its just that both them and Ferrari must be confident of their engine dyno numbers from a reliability perspective.

Clearly thats not the case for Honda and Renault after last year's troubles, so I can understand why they would want to do the runs.

Quote Originally Posted by icedeepan View Post
    Remember Mercedes have a new engine concept for this year as well. Its just that both them and Ferrari must be confident of their engine dyno numbers from a reliability perspective.

Clearly thats not the case for Honda and Renault after last year's troubles, so I can understand why they would want to do the runs.
    And we can add in the Haas mileage as well.
    Forza Ferrari

Merc are nt exactly bulletproof, I Remember Spanish GP last year Bottas had a engine blow up.

Granted we had reliability issues,but these were freak incidents. The dodgy spark plug could have been any team on the grid but bad luck ensured it was us. The manifold issue in Malaysia was a design fault I think but didn't fail the numerous races before.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Sauber as well

now you're getting it. It's all about one cars mileage during testing...laps equates to mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Sauber as well
    It has to be a single car guys. You cannot take the sum of all and that gives you a true test in this situation. c'mon. One car 10 laps the second does 20 and the 3rd does 60....so the engine did well today on 90 laps????

It has to be a single car guys. You cannot take the sum of all and that gives you a true test in this situation. c'mon. One car 10 laps the second does 20 and the 3rd does 60....so the engine did well today on 90 laps????
    Every car thar runs the same engine will always benefit that engine, it means more data being provided so better chance to see if anything goes wrong.

Take Honda as an example, they always wanted to get a second team so they can develope their engine at a faster rate as twice as much data coming in, McLaren vetoed it.

Really??? So the whole day was'nt cold??? Did it get up to nominal operating ambient temperatures sometime during the day??? Then why did so many teams run their cars today??? Given your synopsis, they should have NOT run at all today due to it was too cold.
    They ran because there is no other choice, they have to run, and they have to get some km to check the cars, reliability. You are talking to me like we ran only 10 laps. We ran 80 laps, and then they did pit stop practice. Many of Lewis hamiltons laps were constant speed laps, to check the aero. You are arguing with me about why we ran only 80 laps?!! Really man, you are talking like they ran only 10 laps. I said they ran 80, got milage under their belt, they did the program, they ran as much as they could, then when the rain hit, they didnt want to run any more because, it was cold, and the car can slide off the track and maybe cause damage to some parts they dont have, its better to not run in a situation like that. Please, dont find issues when there isn't any. Plus, you dont understand what I wrote if you replied me like that, asking why they ran. I just said they ran, but its no point in running laps in the rain just to run laps and put your car and whole program in danger in wet cold conditions when you probably would not get any meaningful data.

Ferrari can use the data from all engines running, so we beat Torro Rosso.....
    Forza Ferrari

Ferrari can use the data from all engines running, so we beat Torro Rosso.....
    obviously, thats more data than a single engine data....thats a whole lotta data. You are so right Greig!!!!

obviously, thats more data than a single engine data....thats a whole lotta data. You are so right Greig!!!!
    Not quite sure why anyone would think otherwise, even more so now all the customer engines are running the same software as the works teams.
    Forza Ferrari

Ted saying in his notebook, Ferrari last year were believed to have the most downforce. This year it could be the same aswell.

1st day of testing and there's already arguments it's going to be a long season

Really??? So the whole day was'nt cold??? Did it get up to nominal operating ambient temperatures sometime during the day??? Then why did so many teams run their cars today??? Given your synopsis, they should have NOT run at all today due to it was too cold.
    Just to illustrate my point,

"It's nice to see yourself at the top of the timesheets but in two-degree temperatures you really can't learn anything," said Ricciardo

Not quite sure why anyone would think otherwise, even more so now all the customer engines are running the same software as the works teams.
    True on the software but data collection and mileage collection are way too different. Using ypur theory, all this data Ferrari has been collecting over the course of this hybrid PU, how has that been working for Ferrari with the emphasis on reliability when going up against Mercedes????

so no new engine for this years car!!

True on the software but data collection and mileage collection are way too different. Using ypur theory, all this data Ferrari has been collecting over the course of this hybrid PU, how has that been working for Ferrari with the emphasis on reliability when going up against Mercedes????
    No they are not different all the data run in customer cars can be used by Ferrari. We are hardly blowing up engines every race, sparkplug issue which was a quality control issue and a manufacturing error with the manifolds (3rd party IIRC), again you suggest we are struggling to be reliable....

How do you track and plan mileage with 4/5 engines over a season and how do you gather data on customer engines?
    Mercedes: Very carefully, is the answer. These data sets are gathered in same way as any others on the car. Performance data is firewalled per team and reliability data shared between all to maximise the chances of every Mercedes-Benz engine seeing the finish line at every race. Any issues detected on our works cars benefit our customers – and vice versa.
    So Merc use the data from all engines, but Ferrari don't.....yeah course.....

Apart from income, how does the customer engine programme benefit Mercedes?
    Mercedes: The more miles we run, the more we learn. Having a good spread of customer teams is a big challenge logistically – but one that ultimately benefits the entire Mercedes-Benz Formula One family in terms of performance and reliability.
    Are you really going to tell us that there is nothing to gain from customer engine data?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Ted saying in his notebook, Ferrari last year were believed to have the most downforce. This year it could be the same aswell.
    Any link??
    I cant watch it on sky's page.
    Is it on you tube ??
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    They ran because there is no other choice, they have to run, and they have to get some km to check the cars, reliability...... I just said they ran, but its no point in running laps in the rain just to run laps and put your car and whole program in danger in wet cold conditions when you probably would not get any meaningful data.
    your contradicting yourself.....

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Just to illustrate my point,

"It's nice to see yourself at the top of the timesheets but in two-degree temperatures you really can't learn anything," said Ricciardo
    illustrate what point....see above.

Ricciardo --> why did he put 100 laps in adverse weather conditions.....mileage. It's all about mileage. Running off the track is the drivers problem as he is not accustomed to adverse weather conditions.

By the way Max runs the car tomorrow....lets see what happens when it rains IF it does rain. Let's see what Ferrari does.

your contradicting yourself.....

illustrate what point....see above.

Ricciardo --> why did he put 100 laps in adverse weather conditions.....mileage. It's all about mileage. Running off the track is the drivers problem as he is not accustomed to adverse weather conditions.

By the Max runs the car tomorrow....lets see what happens when it rains IF it does rain. Let's see what Ferrari does.
    Renault are still running reduced power are they not? so they are needing as much mileage as possible obviously. Ferrari do not have such worries. He never put 100 laps in adverse conditions either so why do you make things up?
    Forza Ferrari

No they are not different all the data run in customer cars can be used by Ferrari. We are hardly blowing up engines every race, sparkplug issue which was a quality control issue and a manufacturing error with the manifolds (3rd party IIRC), again you suggest we are struggling to be reliable....

So Merc use the data from all engines, but Ferrari don't.....yeah course.....

Are you really going to tell us that there is nothing to gain from customer engine data?
    data collection is in gigabytes......mileage collection is mechanical

not saying that.

not saying that.

Let's wait and see how our reliabilty goes.....I do hope for the best.

not saying that.
    I don't think you have any idea what you are saying?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Any link??
    I cant watch it on sky's page.
    Is it on you tube ??
    No streams as I watched it on Sky F1.

In summary,
    - McLaren still have work to do check their systems, new aero package for Austrailia
    - Red Bull had an extra winglet piece by sidepods which was not there afterwards, Ted can't be sure if it fell off or they were asked to take it off.
    Ferrari - Red style diffuser, not chasing performance today

All manufacturers sacrified engine performance for reliability as they have to last 7 races instead of 4, most teams want to be at least the same power as last years Abu Dhabi GP.

Expected to be raining tomorrow as well.

Renault are still running reduced power are they not? so they are needing as much mileage as possible obviously. Ferrari do not have such worries. He never put 100 laps in adverse conditions either so why do you make things up?
    Yes, they are running in reduced power. Ricciardo got up to 100 laps under adverse weather conditions.