Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne GP 2018 - News

Melbourne GP 2018 - News

Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull differ on Melbourne tyre strategies

Formula 1 title rivals Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have opted for differing tyre strategies for the opening race of the season in Melbourne.

While Pirelli mandates three sets of tyres for use each race weekend, F1 teams are free to choose the remaining 10 sets, with Mercedes the most aggressive of the trio.

Mercedes, who had problems with blistering on the softer compounds during pre-season testing in Barcelona, have chosen nine sets of the ultrasofts – the softest available compound – for each of their drivers Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.

Red Bull have been slightly more conservative and gone for eight ultrasofts for each of Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen.

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen have just seven sets apiece, with the remainder of their allocation split evenly between the soft and supersoft tyres.

Williams and McLaren have followed Mercedes’ aggressive approach in favouring the ultrasoft, with nine sets for each of their drivers.

A number of drivers, including Hamilton, Sergey Sirotkin and Romain Grosjean have just one set of the soft – the hardest available compound.

#KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

A bit surprised to see we have gone for the harder compounds this year. It was the other way around last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    A bit surprised to see we have gone for the harder compounds this year. It was the other way around last year.
    and Merc with after only testing Mediums has gone for softs????

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    and Merc with after only testing Mediums has gone for softs????
    Yup.... strange. We probably have more softs to test some parts ???

In the race, it will be more or less same tyre strategies for everyone... from the tyre choices I expect everyone to be using ultra and supersoft for the race... for this we only need 4-5 sets of ultra soft for qualifying and 1-2 sets of new supersofts... I think softs will be used mostly during FP1

FP1 at 2am Friday 03-23-18
    FP2 at 6am Friday

FP3 at 4am Saturday
    Quali's at 7am Saturday

Race at 7:10am Sunday

all times Central ST

2017 FP1: HAM 1:24:220 (US)
    2017 FP2: HAM 1:23:620 (US)
    2017 FP3: HAM 1:23.389 (US)
    2017 Q : HAM 1:22:188
    2017 Race: Vettel 1:24:11.670

Sidenote: In Europe summertime starts Sun 2am. At 2am the clock goes FORWARD to 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Remember the compounds are all one stage softer this year compared to last year.

Australian GP odds from bet365.com

Aus GP.png

MELBOURNE PREVIEW WITH SEB

Vettel speaks ahead of the first race of the season

Sebastian, after two weeks of winter testing, it’s now time to pack up again, destination Melbourne. What kind of feedback can you provide from the Barcelona running?

“I think we’re starting from a good base with our SF71H car. Now we’ll have to work on development to further explore and improve its potential. I have a lot of confidence in our team, I know how skilled and committed the guys in Maranello are”.

Many teams, including our main competitors, piled up an impressive mileage this winter. What can you say about how it went from a Ferrari perspective?

“We, too, did a good job in terms of mileage, totaling some 4,323 Kilometers of running. I have a personal best of 188 laps in one day, which is 875 Km and a total of nearly three thousand! We did not experience any major issues with the car, and I had fun driving it”

A lot has been said and written about our competitors’ pace in race simulation. Could you express your point of view as a driver?

“Our competitors – Mercedes and Red Bull – used one type of tyre for their race distance simulations, which is something you can’t do in a Grand Prix. This has an impact on the strategies and ultimately on the result”.

Speaking about tyre management: could blistering be a real issue?

“I think it’s quite normal that, after the first few days of testing, every team tries to get the tyre supplier to go in the direction that suits their car best. We think Pirelli has done a good job with their compound selection”.

Are you looking forward to the first race of the season?

“I can’t wait to be in Australia, because once we get on track there, we will all be driving and racing under the same conditions. And, as I said before, I have confidence in our car”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Is anybody in here going?
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    Remember the compounds are all one stage softer this year compared to last year.
    Maybe Ferrari is planning to do Q2 with SS and start with SS and one stop to soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Hey can someone tell me what channel f1 is on this year.im in the Boston ma area.last year it was on NBC hd.i went to Friday on that channel and I'm not seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    Hey can someone tell me what channel f1 is on this year.im in the Boston ma area.last year it was on NBC hd.i went to Friday on that channel and I'm not seeing it

ESPN 2 I believe. No more NBCSN this year. Interesting how ESPN will cover this and who are the announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    ESPN 2 I believe. No more NBCSN this year. Interesting how ESPN will cover this and who are the announcers.
    I read that they will go on air 10 minutes before the race starts and it will be the Sky commentators.

That sucks I perfer matchet.so we r not getting pre race starting to loose intrest

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info
    might want to look into this.....and it's for everyone that has access

The F1 streaming service will be made available in four different languages (English, French, German and Spanish) and will appear in nearly two dozen markets at launch (including Germany, France, USA, Mexico, Belgium, Austria, Hungary and much of Latin America).

Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD $8-$12. A less expensive, non-live subscription tier, F1 TV Access will provide live race timing data and radio commentary, as well as extended highlights of each session from the race weekend.

F1 Live OTT platform to feature 24 live streams – “Pretty Insane”

More details have emerged about the new F1 Live OTT platform, as outlined by F1’s head of marketing Ellie Norman, who describes the boldness of the project as ‘pretty insane’.

Typing the words ‘F1’s head of marketing’ still feels slightly strange, seeing as for decades it was the only global Tier 1 sport that did not even have a marketing department, let alone a head.

Bernie Ecclestone used to rely on manufacturers, race promoters and sponsors to market the sport of Formula 1 for him. This kept the overheads down on the F1 Management side, while Ecclestone gleefully whipped up regular media attention by lobbing in regular hand grenades, which the newspapers gratefully jumped on.

Now it’s all rather different, although the infrastructure to make the new F1 Live OTT platform was all put in place by Ecclestone. He just chose not to use it for that, as he was all about protecting the rights of his broadcast partners.

Norman was previously at cable TV supplier Virgin Media and believes that the nature of the modern consumer who has a passion point is “… that passion tends to overrule the rational side of things; it is not uncommon if you have a pay TV bundle that you will have one or two of the top subscriptions. I think that with consumer behaviour and the desire to buy things you love, consumers are making that choice. If you are interested you will pay.”

That is the calculation; that of the potential audience for F1, identified at 500 million sports fans around the world, even if 1% of them paid their $8 a month for the OTT service, that would yield $40m a month, or almost half a billion dollars a year.

There is also the opportunity to upsell the packages in future; a Lewis Hamilton fan in Delhi could access more rich content about Hamilton and he could take a revenue share. There is also great value to F1 and its partners from the data that would be gathered about the consumers.

But for now it’s all about going direct to the fans and to make the fans’ access to F1 as frictionless as possible.

“Everyone is offering fans more direct access, we are incredibly fortunate with the access that we have through our sport,” Norman (above) said in an interview with digital media title The Drum. “We are going direct to the fan so we are then able to give them the best experience possible,” she told The Drum. There is nowhere else out there with 24 livestreams coming into the app and that is pretty insane – I don’t think that has been done before.”

“It is a very strategic sport and for that hardcore fan, they really understand the excitement but the strategic elements, having the ability to personalise how you watch it and being able to select favourite drivers and view that side by side, these are all elements where we can better serve our fans.”

The F1 OTT service will be rolled out in about two dozen countries, including USA, France, Germany and some Latin American markets – those where F1 has not ceded the digital rights to TV broadcast partners. That is the case in UK and Italy where Sky has the rights. F1 is talking to Sky about bundling the OTT rights.

Looks like rain sat Sunday

FerrariSteve Guest
    Rain would be fine, I'd take rain. Less chance of a Merc cruise race.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Rain would be fine, I'd take rain. Less chance of a Merc cruise race.
    yeah, but that tends to "mask" the true pace of how we stack up against Merc and red fools......i'd rather be DRY and sunny, that way we'll at least know where we stack up against the competition...

that and also when it rains, it's a LOTTERY.....speaking of lottery, i gotta buy my winning ticket 2night.....LOL
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Don't bank on rain yet, it hasn't properly rained here for about 2 months, still to early to be accurate, but it will be warm with current forecast temps at 29 deg both fri/sat at this stage.

Forcast friday showers 27 saturday26 showers sunday 20 rain should make it interesting if this current forcast remains it will place the cat amongst the pigeons .

Hello I live in the east coast of the us and I'm realizing f1 is on espn.im only seeing the race at 1am on the 25th no prac or quali being shown is there some.whay do I have to do to see the hole thing like last year

hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    I almost jumped and did a cartwheel at the same time thinking this would be all ferrari related updates being delivered lol Noooo dang what a pity, the track looks so much more narrow from on circuit like photos
    Looks like the first 6 engines McLaren will use on the opening weekend alone have been delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by scudieros View Post
    Looks like the first 6 engines McLaren will use on the opening weekend alone have been delivered.
    Nice
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Australian GP odds from bet365.com

Aus GP.png

That 29 for Kimi is looking attractive for a lump sum.