Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Australian GP: Race

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seb gained all the time in the pitlane as his stop was not done under racing conditions so Lewis was not going full speed. If no VSC he would have come out 3rd.
    Yeah, that is it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    all we need is party mode in quali, other than that we are okey, so same problem than last season
    it is so difficult to overtake, I think I saw only 3 genuine overtakes in this race
    No we have party mode, our engine is super. Look at HAAS, look at todays Seb comment about GPS and where Hamilton was gaining, its clear we have issues with break in/downforce/tire prep and not engine.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    No we have party mode, our engine is super. Look at HAAS, look at todays Seb comment about GPS and where Hamilton was gaining, its clear we have issues with break in/downforce/tire prep and not engine.
    can you link to those comments please ? , Seb's

Wouldn’t these issues that Seb mentioned be related to the fact that Ferrari tried to do a long wheel car but still with a high rake? If you look at Mercedes they have a long wheel based car but a lower rake and that’s what normally happens when you have a shorter wheel base you can get away with a higher rake but if you have a long wheel based car it normally has a lower rake. I think Ferrari tried to have the best of both worlds and it’s not working as well as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    can you link to those comments please ? , Seb's
    Todays press conf.

Q: (Ben Hunt – The Sun) Tabloid time again. Sebastian, are you concerned about ‘Party Mode’, do you think it’s legal what Mercedes have got?

SV: I think so. I think also Lewis was right yesterday. I think that… y’know we do get a bit of data, GPS data and stuff like that… I think they did turn it up for Q3 but not by seven-tenths. I think probably if you look at qualifying carefully, I try to do so last night. It’s fair to say they were quick in Q1, quicker than us, Lewis was quick in Q2 and then his second run, I don’t know, something happened. So, his last run in Q3 was the only proper run at the end and he had a clean run and I don’t think the gain that he had in time was down to engine. Probably a tenth, a little bit more, but not seven tenths. So, the credit is for his lap that he did and not for the engine power. It’s completely fine what they’re doing because they didn’t do anything special. Not more than they did last year, probably even a bit less by the looks of it. So, it was clear that he just had a very good lap and he drove well.

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    Wouldn’t these issues that Seb mentioned be related to the fact that Ferrari tried to do a long wheel car but still with a high rake? If you look at Mercedes they have a long wheel based car but a lower rake and that’s what normally happens when you have a shorter wheel base you can get away with a higher rake but if you have a long wheel based car it normally has a lower rake. I think Ferrari tried to have the best of both worlds and it’s not working as well as expected.
    I dunno, but Kimi seems relatively happy while Seb says he needs more confidence in the car. I think big change to philosophy and one week less of testing resulted in us being somewhate further behind. I have no doubt that like Merc last year, we will understand this car and unlock its potential. Good thing we got good haul of pts when we are low...

Yes kimi seems happier but he’s still quite far off the Mercedes, if he managed to be close to the Mercedes maybe the car set up wasn’t suiting Seb but it wasn’t the case.. I hope that we can develop the car to unlock its full potential as soon as possible because the Mercedes seemed pretty strong all weekend

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    +1000

The sport needs to be "dumbed" down.....FULL ON PEDAL TO THE METAL RACING.....no fuel flow restrictions, no efficiency on engines or fuel, unlimited testing and so noisy it wakes up the neighbors 2 miles away.
    Yep imagine how insanely fast these cars would be maybe even bring back refuelling always added to the strategic elements

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yep imagine how insanely fast these cars would be maybe even bring back refuelling always added to the strategic elements
    I'll go one further. DISCONNECT all the data gizmo's. Let the drivers get in the cars during free practice and let them come back and relay the information to the engineers and techies.....see which driver comes up with the right set-up during quali. Go old-school like they did back in the day. That will shake things up a bit as far as the skillful and talented driver.....Lewis would hate it---> that means more testing, coming in early and staying late and spending less time on his social media crap.

I dunno, but Kimi seems relatively happy while Seb says he needs more confidence in the car. I think big change to philosophy and one week less of testing resulted in us being somewhate further behind. I have no doubt that like Merc last year, we will understand this car and unlock its potential. Good thing we got good haul of pts when we are low...
    Kimi goes well when there is good front end bite which suits his driving style. If I'm not wrong, the Ferrari currently has good front end downforce but lacks enough rear end bite/downforce which impacts Seb as thats what he likes.

Its the driving style he perfected during the RB days with the blown diffuser et al

Funny we were talking about that today in our house.
    It provides the teams with choices and we the viewer try to guess who has light filled their car etc also it allows teams to split the strategy....... thus more interesting racing.
    I for one would welcome the reintroduction of refuelling.

Forza Jules

Seb gave me a great birthday present today.

Hope next time he can give someone else here a great present to .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Seb gave me a great birthday present today.

Hope next time he can give someone else here a great present to .
    Happy Birthday
    Like you i once was
    Like me you will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I'll go one further. DISCONNECT all the data gizmo's. Let the drivers get in the cars during free practice and let them come back and relay the information to the engineers and techies.....see which driver comes up with the right set-up during quali. Go old-school like they did back in the day. That will shake things up a bit as far as the skillful and talented driver.....Lewis would hate it---> that means more testing, coming in early and staying late and spending less time on his social media crap.
    I wouldn't disconnect all data however there is way to much in F1 this whole party mode makes the sport look like a joke the engines and aero are to complicated makes overtaking impossible

Quote Originally Posted by icedeepan View Post
    Kimi goes well when there is good front end bite which suits his driving style. If I'm not wrong, the Ferrari currently has good front end downforce but lacks enough rear end bite/downforce which impacts Seb as thats what he likes.

Its the driving style he perfected during the RB days with the blown diffuser et al
    Articile from last year.

Vettel likes consistent and predictable rear grip on corner entry, so as to enable him to rotate the car early in the corner, get on the power early and therefore increase speed down the following straight.
    It was a technique that worked to perfection in the Red Bulls he drove to four world titles, and it is working again this year. The downforce created by Ferrari's innovative design under new rules aimed at making the cars faster and more demanding has been crucial in creating this balance for Vettel.
    Team-mate Kimi Raikkonen, meanwhile, is struggling, his pace affected by a lack of front-end grip, which has always been his biggest Achilles' heel, and which does not bother Vettel in the same way.

My opinion about the next race and the potential.

They said that Ferrari had to relocate some rear grip to the front this race. We know that Melbourne is a front limited track, Bahrain should tell us more which is a rear limited. I think the right pecking order will be seen there. Ferrari should be strong, but they need to do a lot of work in the factory, bring new parts that will work of course. We have the whole FP1,FP2,FP3 for Bahrain, to really perfect our setup, which is the key. Some extra rear grip of course wouldnt hurt, I am really excited, which updates they will bring.

Happy for the result today. Yes we were lucky with VSC and Safety Car, but luck has to be made sometimes. The most important element in today's race for me was that Kimi is back. He was strong in quali and he was decent in the race. If LH didn't cover when Kimi pitted and waited for Seb's pit we may have had a different result, and Seb definitely behind Hamilton. So it was all down to Kimi being competitive that gave use the edge today and made us be ready to accept what lady luck granted when the poor HAAS's double pit fumble happened. The other points to take away I think are that we have a competitive car with a great engine, what we need is better suspension. if we had that too, we'd be better than Mercs, and definitely vbetter than Red Bulls until their engine becomes as competitive. I think the edge Mercs have is yes the engine power, but mostly the clever hydraulics.

Last year we didn't make the best of chances and the luck was rotten, but this year looks better.

Sempre Forza Ferrari

I wouldn't disconnect all data however there is way to much in F1 this whole party mode makes the sport look like a joke the engines and aero are to complicated makes overtaking impossible
    Not like Merc are the only one with engine maps for qualifying.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by scudieros View Post
    Happy for the result today. Yes we were lucky with VSC and Safety Car, but luck has to be made sometimes. The most important element in today's race for me was that Kimi is back. He was strong in quali and he was decent in the race. If LH didn't cover when Kimi pitted and waited for Seb's pit we may have had a different result, and Seb definitely behind Hamilton. So it was all down to Kimi being competitive that gave use the edge today and made us be ready to accept what lady luck granted when the poor HAAS's double pit fumble happened. The other points to take away I think are that we have a competitive car with a great engine, what we need is better suspension. if we had that too, we'd be better than Mercs, and definitely vbetter than Red Bulls until their engine becomes as competitive. I think the edge Mercs have is yes the engine power, but mostly the clever hydraulics.

Last year we didn't make the best of chances and the luck was rotten, but this year looks better.

Sempre Forza Ferrari
    Hopefully Kimi keeps this up he looks really motivated for this season last year Merc having a strong number 2 helped them a lot they could split the straights and force Seb to only be able to cover one of them off most noticeably in Spain

Yeah they're just the most obvious example Ferrari and to a lesser extinct Renault do it to. I don't mind different engine modes but there is way to many at one point Lewis was told to go in strat 14 i don't know if that is 14 engine modes but if it is then that is way to many.

If its early in the season or neither driver is in the title fight I don't see why not however if Seb fighting for the title and Kimi is nowhere in the championship then probably not.
    For Kimi to be fighting for the title, he has to be allowed to fight, not move over for Seb, if the situation calls for it. I believe Seb should be Ferrari's #2 guy this season. He had his shot last year.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Was the first race I've not watched live since 2005 (and I only missed one then as I was in a coma! lol)
    Perhaps me not watching brought the team some luck, hope it works next race too!

Well done Seb!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    For Kimi to be fighting for the title, he has to be allowed to fight, not move over for Seb, if the situation calls for it. I believe Seb should be Ferrari's #2 guy this season. He had his shot last year.
    He had his shot because he was much better at season start then Kimi. No body robbed kimi today, he did only thing Ferrari could do. Try to undercut. It failed and duo to VSC Vettel was able to profit, otherwise nothing would change.

Quote Originally Posted by hudson77 View Post
    Happy Birthday

Cheers I'll mail you some pie .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Was the first race I've not watched live since 2005 (and I only missed one then as I was in a coma! lol)
    Perhaps me not watching brought the team some luck, hope it works next race too!

Well done Seb!
    Please do stop watching races. LOL
    Red is the only color!!!

He had his shot because he was much better at season start then Kimi. No body robbed kimi today, he did only thing Ferrari could do. Try to undercut. It failed and duo to VSC Vettel was able to profit, otherwise nothing would change.
    I hope this season start with Seb finishing ahead of Kimi , race 1 , dosen't mean Kimi is #2 this season.

What Seb is essentially saying is that a small mistake at quali lap wipes out the advantage of the party mode.

From what I read, our engine is as good as Mercedes in full performance, that would mean its even a bit better than Silver Arrows' in normal race conditions. The problem are the corners where we are losing out to both Red Bull and Mercedes on every type of corners, with Red Bull matching Mercedes on slow and medium and edging them on fast stuff. So Bahrain should be a good circuit for us IMO, but more work needs to be done.

Fantastic effort, great result. Car not as strong as the 70 out of the box, but lots of potential. PU looks very good--HAM could not drop RAI and VET; RIC, on full power, did not find RAI, on older tyres, an easy target. Taking a cue from the Team and proceeding with tempered optimism. Anxious to see what Bahrain brings up. Forza Ferrari!

As an aside: Crofty on the mic was awful. Mercedes and Red Bull tears taste sweet, may we feast on them for long to come.

Finally: I don't know if it has been brought up anywhere, but, had the VSC not happened, was Seb trying to extend the US stint and go SS to the end? Maybe a gamble on giving him a good chance at Kimi and Lewis near the end, with 3rd as a minimum anyway? BTW, I see a positive in how the Team was willing to force a reaction from Hamilton by bringing Kimi in. Won't always work but I like the play to pressure.
    Last edited by killer; 26th March 2018 at 05:25.

Great result, but horrible race to watch. F1 is on the verge of being irrelevant. The only thing that matters now is the machine. Drivers are almost interchangeable. I’m certain any of the top ten would win in the Mercedes.

LH had the race managed. I can’t believe that is how F1 is described, but it’s accurate. There was no possible way Seb could have passed LH on strategy or on the track. In fact, overtaking was all but impossible for everyone. Liberty and FIA need to stop playing politics and bring back racing.

Once Seb was in front LH could do nothing. Seb had plenty of pace and was able to easily keep his lead. You could tell Kimi wanted to tell Webber that he was bored throughout the race, but he played his part perfectly.

Let’s hope we continue the momentum in two weeks.

No such thing as good luck or bad luck you make your good luck happen as you make your bad luck happen its human made and not magical transition we made our luck.