Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Chinese: Pre-Race news

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    if our next engine upgrade also includes some better fuel management regardless of mercs bad or good weekends we could take some fight to them on race days
    What do you mean? There was an article about that on FIAT page. What happened in Bahrain I will tell you. Ferrari was a little bit faster than Mercedes on the beginning of each tyre stint, Mercedes at the end of it. Bottas was on average slower than Seb on the same SS tyres. Hamilton was a little bit faster than Seb because he had an pure race setup, because he knew that he will start out of top 5 because of his penalty. I think our pure pace like we saw in qualy was this time better than Mercedes, with being equal to them in the race. Still the rain is expected for friday, but mainly light rain, hope our cars will go out and get many new data (our new floor) even on wet or intermediate tyres. I hope for a good Chinese GP for our guys. We will see. Its gonna be interesting to watch if our car will be still the fastest at the end of that (1200 m) straight in China.

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2018...vettel-ha.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    If Mercs fail to win again on Sunday it will be crisis mode not party mode
    If that happens, we will start to see Ferrari's Party mode

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    I have to laugh at all the talk about Mercedes's horsepower gains over the winter. The Ferrari was killing it in the straights and it felt so good to see.
    Its not just the engine, the smaller sidepod design and efficient aero is what is really helping our car. We gained some HP, but our aero is more efficient than mercedes.

FIA confirms no changes to DRS zones in Shanghai. An experiment with a longer zone on the pit straight worked pretty well in Bahrain - especially for those who managed to get a triple tow!

FerrariSteve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    If Mercs fail to win again on Sunday it will be crisis mode not party mode
    LOL, please yes! :D

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    Its not just the engine, the smaller sidepod design and efficient aero is what is really helping our car. We gained some HP, but our aero is more efficient than mercedes.
    If that's truly the case, then that means Ferrari has a more sophisticated car than them. If they can improve the chassis a bit to lose more time in the turns, Mercedes will be in a lot of trouble.

People can say what they want about Sergio Marchionne, but I believe he had a lot to do with getting this team to really fire on all cylinders.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    If that's truly the case, then that means Ferrari has a more sophisticated car than them. If they can improve the chassis a bit to lose more time in the turns, Mercedes will be in a lot of trouble.

People can say what they want about Sergio Marchionne, but I believe he had a lot to do with getting this team to really fire on all cylinders.
    I agree with you on Sergio Marchionne.
    About the car, I also think our car is designed with a low drag with a lot of emphasis on the high rake, diffuser, floor to generate downforce, with the car being longer, it takes some time to get the set up right. Our car is designed well, outside the box thinking, they have gone completely the different way. For me, Mercedes have been complacent. They thought they won it so easy last year, and they came to a conclusion their car was so much better. But, we have a huge advantage with our sidepods. Also, look at Red Bull, they have decent top speed compared to other renault teams, because they copied our design a bit.
    With the upgrade package that will come in China, hope it gives us a couple tenths, if its the rumored .6, then we will have a good chance to be at front.
    I am glad that we took two early wins, its two wins that should have gone to Mercedes but we managed to get it and this is a good foundation for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by mardyrt View Post
    I agree with you on Sergio Marchionne.

With the upgrade package that will come in China, hope it gives us a couple tenths, if its the rumored .6, then we will have a good chance to be at front.
    Where did you see that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Where did you see that?
    You can’t believe rumours as nothing really correlates 100% from wind tunnel, CFD to actual track running
    So this o.6 tenths could only be taken with a grain of salt

If we gain .2 to .4 from this combination of new floor and diffusor I’ll be more then happy

Only time will tell folks
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    You can’t believe rumours as nothing really correlates 100% from wind tunnel, CFD to actual track running
    So this o.6 tenths could only be taken with a grain of salt

If we gain .2 to .4 from this combination of new floor and diffusor I’ll be more then happy

Only time will tell folks
    Yup samething last year with our engine upgrades which were all supposed to give us giant increases in time that motorsport.it and some Italy papers claimed too and that never happen. so wouldn't put any expectations over 0.2s especially since it seems its going to be unfortunately raining on friday and poor seb and the guys won't beable to get proper data and setup for Quali and race.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Ferrari's entire engine development last year was compromised when FIA clamped down on oil burn.

It's about time that Kimmo wins a race

Ferrari 1-2 would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by barzini77 View Post
    It's about time that Kimmo wins a race

Ferrari 1-2 would be nice
    It’s about time he win it on merit, yes
    For that he will need to take pole and defend it without messing with the other Ferrari driver.

1-2 will be excellent, I don’t care such one of our guys finish first as long as bot of them finish 1-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    Ferrari's entire engine development last year was compromised when FIA clamped down on oil burn.
    That is a good point i forgot about that fiasco around canada too when things started going bad. but 0.6s gain for ferrari i think is a stretch and a half, maybe if they included everything ferrari brought to bahrain/modified plus the possible gains from the floor but even that seems too big gain.

I certainly hope to be proven wrong! please prove me wrong ferrari lol give us a 0.6s or more gain
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

That is a good point i forgot about that fiasco around canada too when things started going bad. but 0.6s gain for ferrari i think is a stretch and a half, maybe if they included everything ferrari brought to bahrain/modified plus the possible gains from the floor but even that seems too big gain.

I certainly hope to be proven wrong! please prove me wrong ferrari lol give us a 0.6s or more gain
    0,6s of a gain with updates would mean a total domination from Ferrari. I doubt it that this floor is worth 0,6s, my guessing is maybe 0,2-0,3s of a gain is possible, which would be already pretty cool. James Alison said that Mercedes had the best tyre wear in Bahrain, which means his effect is there. His cars were always very easy on the tyres, but had a lot of trouble with warming them up, remember the Lotus years, and when he was by us. I am very confident in our new team. But still we have to stay humble.
    Last edited by Vettel165; 11th April 2018 at 16:04.

Αccording to F1AT, new floor arrived already on Friday evening in Bahrain (there were pictures of it in boxes) but they decided not to use it because both drivers reported positive feedback with modified one so it was postponed for China.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Our tyre allocation for the chinese gp seems like we put ourselves in a disadvantage for the race strategy only 3 softs compared to mercs 5/6

If it does rain friday then it might equalise tyre options. We've seen how much better it is to stick with a lower stop strategy.Supposedly highest degrees will be very cold 15'c. which tyre compounds does that cold weather benefit? softer or harder? hopefully softer

0,6s of a gain with updates would mean a total domination from Ferrari. I doubt it that this floor is worth 0,6s, my guessing is maybe 0,2-0,3s of a gain is possible, which would be already pretty cool. James Alison said that Mercedes had the best tyre wear in Bahrain, which means his effect is there. His cars were always very easy on the tyres, but had a lot of trouble with warming them up, remember the Lotus years, and when he was by us. I am very confident in our new team. But still we have to stay humble.
    Well said Ferrari are much more humble this year too even though they won. mercs having the best tyre wear seems correct, Mercs will be looking to overcut as much as they can. We need both cars trying to get between both mercs if possible so they don't checkmate us with their tyre wear and pit strategies.

Our tyre allocation for the chinese gp seems like we put ourselves in a disadvantage for the race strategy only 3 softs compared to mercs 5/6

If it does rain friday then it might equalise tyre options. We've seen how much better it is to stick with a lower stop strategy.Supposedly highest degrees will be very cold 15'c. which tyre compounds does that cold weather benefit? softer or harder? hopefully softer
    Cool conditions= Better softs than mediums, the car is sliding less around the track, and there is more grip available from the rubber.
    Hot conditions= Mediums better on tracks that eat tyres (Spa, Spain...), Softs graining more.
    Hot conditions= (on tracks that dont eat the tyres, Sochi, Canada, Monaco)= softs better in race conditions than mediums.

A new weather forecast from yr.no (usually a very reliable website) which gets its data from ECMWF weather (used by european meteorologist) model is showing now no rain for FP1,FP2. Hope it stay like this.

Cool conditions= Better softs than mediums, the car is sliding less around the track, and there is more grip available from the rubber.
    Hot conditions= Mediums better on tracks that eat tyres (Spa, Spain...), Softs graining more.
    Hot conditions= (on tracks that dont eat the tyres, Sochi, Canada, Monaco)= softs better in race conditions than mediums.

A new weather forecast from yr.no (usually a very reliable website) which gets its data from ECMWF weather (European and very good) model is showing now no rain for FP1,FP2. Hope it stay like this.

https://s9.postimg.cc/5okit70wf/Brez_naslova.png
    nice thank you!, uhmm is ultra softs worst in the cold weather ?:'( we have the most ultrasofts

nice thank you!, uhmm is ultra softs worst in the cold weather ?:'( we have the most ultrasofts
    Good point, I didnt think about the US as a race tyre. Maybe in cool conditions the tyre deg will be lower as expected and people will start on softs and then swich to the US. Dont know really, but US should work better than softs in cool conditions. Maybe some teams (Merc,Ferrari,RBR) might try to make it through Q2 on softs, which would be a major tyre advantage for the race and then go to mediums until the very end. It will all depends on track conditions and tyre deg, usually China is a tyre eating track. So the most likely strategy will be to start on US and then go to mediums until the end. Its gonna be interesting.

Good point, I didnt think about the US as a race tyre. Maybe in cool conditions the tyre deg will be lower as expected and people will start on softs and then swich to the US. Dont know really, but US should work better than softs in cool conditions. Maybe some teams (Merc,Ferrari,RBR) might try to make it through Q2 on softs, which would be a major tyre advantage for the race and then go to mediums until the very end. It will all depends on track conditions and tyre deg, usually China is a tyre eating track. So the most likely strategy will be to start on US and then go to mediums until the end. Its gonna be interesting.
    If its tyre eating track, i think mercs have advantage, they have 6 softs if i remember and ferrari just 3. Not sure how seb and kimi will space those out during race sims and have any for the race. In hindsight from what we've seen at bahrain it looks like having the harder tyre doesn't lose much less speed but provides plenty of laps extra. Maybe Kimi and Seb can split duties and reserve some softs and the mediums. .

China will be front tyre heavy so mercs will have advantage but crossing fingers this new floor helps ferrari with downforce to enable even less drag needed elsewhere with that nice looong straight

What upgrades are Mercedes bringing?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    I have yet to meet anyone quite so stubborn as myself and animated by this overpowering passion that leaves me no time for thought or anything else. I have, in fact, no interest in life outside racing cars.
    Enzo Ferrari

If we can do well here, I am really liking our chances.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by brawnydog View Post
    What upgrades are Mercedes bringing?

Party Mode 2.0 and new software .
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Sounds about right. Lol

I have yet to meet anyone quite so stubborn as myself and animated by this overpowering passion that leaves me no time for thought or anything else. I have, in fact, no interest in life outside racing cars.
    Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    If we can do well here, I am really liking our chances.
    Can't wait. I'm quietly optimistic.

Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Naw...it's gonna be Hangover mode.

This are the tyre choices

We have to save 1 soft and 1 medium

I think we will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!