Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2018 Chinese: Pre-Race news

With that many US tyres the team obviously intends to race on them at the start and at the same time going for a front row lock-out. But then what? A two stopper seems to be the slower strategy so far but on the other hand China has other characteristics than Australia and Bahrain. A one-stopper with an ever longer stint on mediums than the softs in Bahrain? Maybe the US can hold up as the SS if it's colder? A two-stopper like US-S-US? Well, both teams have a very different approach?

Mercs will go for softs in quali & race with mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Mercs will go for softs in quali & race with mediums.
    We took too little soft tyres :( , ham has 6 so i can easily see him starting on softs one stopping on mediums and he'l probably have the best race tyres

Ferrari most likely 2 stopping, waaay too many ultra softs in the allocation and i think it'l be US to Softs to US
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Teams again playing with oil.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-wird-haerter/

"Fuel consumption has risen significantly in all this year. Because the drive units deliver the same amount of power despite the longer running times . And the cars have up to five percent more downforce. As a rule, this also means more air resistance. The top speeds have dropped compared to last year. This means more time on the straights, more time under full load and thus a higher consumption.

The engine technicians have calculated that on the critical routes would need 109 instead of 105 kilograms to get through carefree.

So far it is not clear who is affected. Renault seems to hit hardest. The Renault drivers had in Melbourne even after seven laps under safety-car conditions to take the foot off the gas. In Bahrain even Honda made a better figure. Ferrari operated in Bahrain more lift and coast than Mercedes. However, an engineer from the silver camp warns: "We drove there most of the time in the slipstream. This helps."

Mercedes has another problem, you can hear under the hand. The cars with Mercedes engines are not as fast on the straights as they should be. This has supposedly to do with the oil specification. We hear that Petronas dug up a 2016 oil grade to be on the safe side with oil consumption. Until the beginning of the season, the oil consumption of Mercedes and Ferrari was only 0.01 liters below the permitted limit of 0.6 liters per 100 kilometers.

After the oil correction, Mercedes should be on the safe side when it comes to oil consumption. But that also costs power . Ferrari is obviously still full risk just below the pain threshold. And it benefits relative to the competition. No wonder that Mercedes engine chief Andy Cowell says: "In qualifying Ferrari and we are on par." So far, this was the domain of the Mercedes engine.

The oil theme could boil up soon. The opponents of Ferrari are trying to find out why the Ferrari engine in the factory car smokes so much when starting. And even when driving smokes more than the other Ferrari teams. Should not all engines of a manufacturer be the same this year ?

Some suspect some trick behind that will allow Ferrari to add oil to the combustion process. Meanwhile, it is also known how the oil tricksters have practiced in the past. A gasket in the compressor of the turbocharger was carefully constructed "leaking" so that a pre-calculated amount of oil could enter the combustion chamber."
    Frankly my only concern w/ the Ferrari I've seen so far. Last year we were caught out by oil burn clampdown and I believe the timing of when other teams went to the FIA about it was specifically to hinder the Ferrari engine. Merc as we all saw gamed the system mightily when the introduced that new unit before Spa.

Similar to how Ferrari went to the FIA at the last minute in pre-season 2017 to get FRIC clamped down on in Merc and RB, which is why I believe Merc's car was a "diva" in the early going last year. It was designed to use the FRIC and Merc had to redo their car once the suspension was outlawed. Turnabout is fair play, as they say.

If Ferrari is smart they will make sure that smoke is gone when their next engines hit the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    bravissimo Seb , Ilike his mentality this year, not saying we are now equal or we are better, he knows the truth Mercs are the favorites and the fastest but there are ways to beat them as we've seen as melbourne and bahrain. developments will be the biggest factor in who wins the championship alongside reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    Frankly my only concern w/ the Ferrari I've seen so far. Last year we were caught out by oil burn clampdown and I believe the timing of when other teams went to the FIA about it was specifically to hinder the Ferrari engine. Merc as we all saw gamed the system mightily when the introduced that new unit before Spa.

Similar to how Ferrari went to the FIA at the last minute in pre-season 2017 to get FRIC clamped down on in Merc and RB, which is why I believe Merc's car was a "diva" in the early going last year. It was designed to use the FRIC and Merc had to redo their car once the suspension was outlawed. Turnabout is fair play, as they say.

If Ferrari is smart they will make sure that smoke is gone when their next engines hit the grid.
    Im worried about our oil consumption and the smoke thing now, hopefully ferrari have gotten it checked and cleared by fia for the rest of the year already
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    We took too little soft tyres :( , ham has 6 so i can easily see him starting on softs one stopping on mediums and he'l probably have the best race tyres

Ferrari most likely 2 stopping, waaay too many ultra softs in the allocation and i think it'l be US to Softs to US
    No..!! Ferrari going for quali, track position, 2 stop by the looks of tyre allocation.
    Track position gonna be the key here for Ferrari. I hope seb or Kimi get pole position n manage pace from there on.

No..!! Ferrari going for quali, track position, 2 stop by the looks of tyre allocation.
    Track position gonna be the key here for Ferrari. I hope seb or Kimi get pole position n manage pace from there on.
    Do you think the delta difference between compounds and laps will be worth it though? mercs on mediums might even be faster than they are on softs .

I hope seb gets pole because kimi loses places and doesn't fight back, either way i dont mind kimi getting pole but i prefer seb for the sake of fighting the merc domination. no offence to anyone.

Do you think the rain will hamper us too badly?

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post

Remember it was former Ferrari engineer who passed the info & raised a complaint to FIA.
    But this time around, if Ferrari using any such trick teams needs to figure out what sort of thing it is.
    I think Ferrari is adhering the rule book. Just hats off to them. Even if they found at fault, I applaud to their creativeness

Anyone see the comments from ricciardo this weekend so far, he is trying so desperately to get mercedes seat lol

Do you think the delta difference between compounds and laps will be worth it though? mercs on mediums might even be faster than they are on softs .

I hope seb gets pole because kimi loses places and doesn't fight back, either way i dont mind kimi getting pole but i prefer seb for the sake of fighting the merc domination. no offence to anyone.

Do you think the rain will hamper us too badly?
    First thing, mercs didnt use US & HS under cool conditions in pre-season testing. So it’s no wonder they did choose hard compounds over Super softs. On other side it’s opposite Ferrari did see US performance in Barcelona testing.

If you look at that testing closely mercs did 1.19’s on mediums too which was eye-raising.
    Quali & race conditions would be cooler but not much similar to Barcelona. But still mercs will be strong of mediums more than softs too.

Coming to performance difference between tyre compounds. It isn’t much Pirelli predicting .4ths. So it’s down to which teams switch easily n gain much on US.

Anyone see the comments from ricciardo this weekend so far, he is trying so desperately to get mercedes seat lol
    RB’s are always after Ferrari. They forgot that they need to beat mercs to claim title.
    I personally feel Lewis would retire at 2020. If he doesn’t win title this year.

RB’s are always after Ferrari. They forgot that they need to beat mercs to claim title.
    I personally feel Lewis would retire at 2020. If he doesn’t win title this year.
    Lol he was giving bottas flack saying he would've won in mercedes of bottas or atleast make attempts, he was talking about how aggressive he's driving is and that he is here to win all or nothing, now he's saying verstappen squeezed hamilton outside the track ,after the issue was put to rest lol.

First thing, mercs didnt use US & HS under cool conditions in pre-season testing. So it’s no wonder they did choose hard compounds over Super softs. On other side it’s opposite Ferrari did see US performance in Barcelona testing.

If you look at that testing closely mercs did 1.19’s on mediums too which was eye-raising.
    Quali & race conditions would be cooler but not much similar to Barcelona. But still mercs will be strong of mediums more than softs too.

Coming to performance difference between tyre compounds. It isn’t much Pirelli predicting .4ths. So it’s down to which teams switch easily n gain much on US.

Do you think two US stints = 1 Medium stint?

Also is cold weather around 15C or lower good or bad for tyres like US and why? thank you for trying to explain stuff lol

Do you think two US stints = 1 Medium stint?

Also is cold weather around 15C or lower good or bad for tyres like US and why? thank you for trying to explain stuff lol
    About your first question. Well I don’t know variables literally when even fp1 isn’t started yet.
    2nd question US this year are 1step further. I think Ferrari would be fine on these tyres.

But ultimately mercs would be good on mediums as we saw in preseason testing. So the question is Ferrari US tyre performance vs mercs mediums & softs.
    We need to check during practice sessions

About your first question. Well I don’t know variables literally when even fp1 isn’t started yet.
    2nd question US this year are 1step further. I think Ferrari would be fine on these tyres.

But ultimately mercs would be good on mediums as we saw in preseason testing. So the question is Ferrari US tyre performance vs mercs mediums & softs.
    We need to check during practice sessions
    lol from testing i remember them doing only like 6 laps on us stints at a time so i got worried. Ooo Quali will be so important but we need both cars up there. otherwise they will play bottas as Ham's bride and have him keep ferrari's away. Might think being ham's wing guy will be his best bet at staying at merc

lol from testing i remember them doing only like 6 laps on us stints at a time so i got worried. Ooo Quali will be so important but we need both cars up there. otherwise they will play bottas as Ham's bride and have him keep ferrari's away. Might think being ham's wing guy will be his best bet at staying at merc
    Most important thing for this year is.. Kimi’s form. If he’s consistent similar to last two races, then game on.

2018 Chinese: Pre-Race news

Merc didn’t got or use Softer tyres than SS in Barcelona tests. And they really didn’t did super times on softer tires, I remember all the usual suspects (journos) saying with the difference of 2.5 seconds from medium to US merc is faster than Ferrari.
    And we all know that there isn’t such difference and that Merc is not faster than Fer on the softer compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Merc didn’t got or use Softer tyres than SS in Barcelona tests. And they really didn’t did super times on softer tires, I remember all the usual suspects (journos) saying with the difference of 2.5 seconds from medium to US merc is faster than Ferrari.
    And we all know that there isn’t such difference and that Merc is not faster than Fer on the softer compound.

Merc's ate their tyres(softer compounds) during Barcelona 2018 as witnessed in thes photos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXxuyp-WAAE5yWV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXxuyp-WAAE5yWV.jpg

stints on the W09

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX20S0WW0AMCYRr.jpg

and

F1 testing: Bullish Mercedes has soft-tyre doubts from Barcelona

But having not run the fastest hypersoft tyre all week, and having suffered some blistering on the soft compound, Valtteri Bottas says that there remain some question marks about its performance in certain circumstances.

"We got the medium and the hard tyres to work quite well I think," said the Finn.

"We still have issues with blistering on the softer compounds.

"Hopefully it will be different in Melbourne, but on the new track surface here in Barcelona we had some difficulties."

Last year's Mercedes W08 had a similar characteristic for performing on the harder tyres, but Pirelli has played down the evidence of blistering in testing as anything to be worried about.

"Blisters is not a surprise considering the energy the new cars are putting on the new tyres," said Pirelli's head of car racing Mario Isola.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ofttyre-doubts

But now they have talked Pirelli into changing the tires for Barcelona and other resurfaced tracks.

Very bad

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    But now they have talked Pirelli into changing the tires for Barcelona and other resurfaced tracks.

Very bad

its ONLY 3 tracks.....and who knows, it may be in our benefit too...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    its ONLY 3 tracks.....and who knows, it may be in our benefit too...
    Yes that’s possible too

https://wtf1.com/post/alonso-thinks-...-from-mclaren/

No really Fonzo how should this come...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Bad day for Ferrari, great day for racing. What a race. Congrats to Danny. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that the safety once again completely changed the outcome of the race. This time Vettel got the worst of luck. We still have a good car. Let's not forget that. Looking forward to next race. I think Ferrari will be charged up. Still potential in our car.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    I have yet to meet anyone quite so stubborn as myself and animated by this overpowering passion that leaves me no time for thought or anything else. I have, in fact, no interest in life outside racing cars.
    Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by brawnydog View Post
    Bad day for Ferrari, great day for racing. What a race. Congrats to Danny. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that the safety once again completely changed the outcome of the race. This time Vettel got the worst of luck. We still have a good car. Let's not forget that. Looking forward to next race. I think Ferrari will be charged up. Still potential in our car.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Lap 21...Vettel pitted Bottas takes the lead due to the undercut by Mercedes. Under the SC they(Ferrari) pit late cuz they could not react due to the timing of the SC. Then Vettel lights up the rears excessively after the hit by Max(lap43) degrading his tyres even more to the point that the last laps Vettel was struggling to hold position....looses to Hulk and Alonso...Vettel ends up P7

Yes, both cars and drivers have potential to win this 2018 season.