Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Chinese: Pre-Race news

2018 Chinese: Pre-Race news

Tire choices and track synopsis from Pirelli

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaV6KlIWsAEzhhG.jpg

Should make it a 1 stopper.....medium towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Tire choices and track synopsis from Pirelli

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaV6KlIWsAEzhhG.jpg

Should make it a 1 stopper.....medium towards the end.
    Merc was much much faster than anyone on hard (medium tires) on Barza tests and on Bahrain.

That medium tire is causing one stops, pirelli should remove it from
    Future GPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Merc was much much faster than anyone on hard (medium tires) on Barza tests and on Bahrain.

Future GPs.

yep, Mercedes got tyre strategy and tactics right. Ferrari got them wrong, BUT Sebastian (being the that he is) was sublime with his car control on tyres that were completely shot with 10 laps to go!

Sometimes it pays to be good.
    Sometimes it pays to be lucky.
    And sometimes it pays to be both good and lucky!

Ferrari dodged one bullet at Bahrain. It was a nail biter till the end.

I like the medium tyre.....messes with everyones tyre strat.

yep, Mercedes got tyre strategy and tactics right. Ferrari got them wrong, BUT Sebastian (being the that he is) was sublime with his car control on tyres that were completely shot with 10 laps to go!

Seb's tire control and car management was sublime indeed. However, if this was 2010-2016 with the narrow chassis cars, i think he would've been easily overtaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Seb's tire control and car management was sublime indeed. However, if this was 2010-2016 with the narrow chassis cars, i think he would've been easily overtaken.
    We will never know for sure

Go Ferrari, beat them all!

I wonder who Mad Max is gonna tangle with in China

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post

as long as it isn't a red car!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post

as long as it isn't a red car!

.What if it rains or it's in the wet? Max Verstappen's Incredible Opening Lap | 2017 Chinese Grand Prix.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRhuhU5WHM

yep, Mercedes got tyre strategy and tactics right. Ferrari got them wrong, BUT Sebastian (being the bada$$ that he is) was sublime with his car control on tyres that were completely shot with 10 laps to go!

I disagree that Ferrari got their strategy "wrong".

Will the medium tyre work in cooler temperatures in shanghai ?

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    I disagree that Ferrari got their strategy "wrong".
    I certainly would not want a repeat of last year where Ferrari, both Kimi and Vettel, "blew" their tyres on the last lap all due to tyre strategy. Remember that???
    This was too close and Seb said the tyres were gone 10 laps ago.

We should not do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post

Future GPs.

Did you see Ferrari on medium tyres in Bahrain? No we still dont have a clue if Ferrari could matched the Mercedes pace on mediums, I think we could. With US the QUALY tyre in China with a good setup my opinion is that we can get also pole position.

I certainly would not want a repeat of last year where Ferrari, both Kimi and Vettel, "blew" their tyres on the last lap all due to tyre strategy. Remember that???

To be honest, we all were saying ferrari seemed to treat its tyres better, but at bahrain Bottas had better speed and closing in at the end of the first stint, went few laps longer too. Seb was a master on the softs and i think it was close to impossible to do what he did :). I think bahrain was a once off bad setup for mercs in quali but in race they looked quite faster even though i would say we were matched at the start of each stint of tyre. apparently seb had to save fuel a lot once again. I feel the two stopper was the wrong strategy too, but vettel said the team reacted immediately because he dropped in pace compared to bottas. Im not sure ferrari was able to get info on alonso's Medium laps before boxing. China will be tough especially with rb in the mix, one stop would be safer but we can always split strategies with kimi and have him force the other teams into changing their strategies
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Its good that people are finally bringing to light the mad max immature driving. Now that it happen with hamilton it seems people are talking.no red car is safe with him around, hopefully at china ferrari can get front row and leave mercs with max close by.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Maxcrashen the first he is gifted but dangerous to be around you need to be on full alert with this guy a type of mr magoo just drives and leaves the carnage behind.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...01993967493120

can ask some questions and might get answered

We had to do what we did to win the race. Ferrari clearly wanted a 2-stop w/ both cars. The first thing that compromised that strategy was Kimi failing to be second after the start (or first w/ Seb second).

I don't see the bad strategy and think the team should be commended for having a good strategy that could be adjusted on the fly based on what happened in the race. That is what Ferrari did, and it lead to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaBuckeye View Post
    We had to do what we did to win the race. Ferrari clearly wanted a 2-stop w/ both cars. The first thing that compromised that strategy was Kimi failing to be second after the start (or first w/ Seb second).

I don't see the bad strategy and think the team should be commended for having a good strategy that could be adjusted on the fly based on what happened in the race. That is what Ferrari did, and it lead to victory.
    these are Sebs times from lap 40 onwards....he is losing time every lap. I agree it was a win based on luck and very awesome driving but going forward, this is not how you want to win a race with Mercedes. I'm sure Ferrari has this and will learn from it given the tyre and track conditions.

LAP TIME
    40 94.800
    45 95.482
    46 95.437
    47 95.019
    48 95.266
    49 95.302
    50 95.332
    51 95.406
    52 95.412
    53 95.805
    54 95.778
    55 95.947
    56 96.625
    57 97.033

If Max winds up on a "pole winning team", he may never lose a race! A top car + Max's desire to win. Ferrari needs him.

So was the drop off in the race due to the tyres wearing out faster than Ferrari expected or could it be that they have improved their version of party mode for quali?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So was the drop off in the race due to the tyres wearing out faster than Ferrari expected or could it be that they have improved their version of party mode for quali?
    According to Pirelli, the tyres Seb had on were only good for 30 laps....Seb went 39 laps on said tyres....so the tyres were wearing out lap after lap. Seb said the tyres were gone 10 laps ago after finishing the race...which makes sense given Pirelli's criteria.

I will note that Seb kept quiet about this during those last 10 laps knowing all the while Mercedes was listening......smart on his part including the drive which is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Simple ferrari have built and designed a car which is fast reliable and kind to its tyres hard to beat.

The way I see it, Ferrari were just managing their lead in the first half. Second half they needed to respond to Mercedes Plan B, so naturally when Ferrari went to plan D, Vettel had to manage his pace again on degrading tires. I think Mercedes had a brilliant change of strategy, and so we never saw the 2 teams on equal terms. Anyway, in China, Ferrari will have the new parts. I'm hoping we'll see more improvement and a strong race. I saw Hamilton a bit worried.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    I have yet to meet anyone quite so stubborn as myself and animated by this overpowering passion that leaves me no time for thought or anything else. I have, in fact, no interest in life outside racing cars.
    Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If Max winds up on a "pole winning team", he may never lose a race! A top car + Max's desire to win. Ferrari needs him.
    No matter what kind car or team you have if you crash q1.

I just read on motorsport Italy that we have 6 tenth worth of upgrades coming our way into this Chinese gp :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I just read on motorsport Italy that we have 6 tenth worth of upgrades coming our way into this Chinese gp :) :)
    Its a shame that the whole friday might be rainy, saturday,sunday looks dry. So the only time to test our updates will be for FP3. Hope forecast will change to better and less rainy.
    Can you give me the link about 6 tenths? I looked everywhere and still couldnt find it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Vettel165; 10th April 2018 at 10:21.

looking forward to China. One aspect that was really encouraging in Bahrain was our front row lockout in qualy. Compare that to last year i think we qualified p3 and p5.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    No thank you I hope Verstappen will never join our team, Ricciardo would be a better choice.
    Last edited by Vettel165; 10th April 2018 at 07:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Can you give us the link because i can't find an article saying that !!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Given the fact that there is a gap in the compounds available (US-S), won't it be even more interesting to try and do Q2 on Softs? Ofcourse depending on degradation of US in race conditions...
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari