Thread: Fastest car around a road course is NOT an F1 car.

Fastest car around a road course is NOT an F1 car.

The fantastically crazy brains at Porsche decided to throw away the rule books at see just how fast their 919 Hybrid WEC based car could go. With more power, a LOT more downforce, and DRS, it has beat the lap record around Spa.

1:41.770, which is 0.783 faster than Hamilton's 2017 pole time. Insane!

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...ani-15184.html

I believe the record will be smashed this year by new F1 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and... this is a 2l engine with way different restrictions than a F1 car.... we'll see the fastest laps from this year's cars...

oh... frogot to mention... as headline Should say... FOR NOW...

Thats great achievement. LMP1 car let loose of WEC rules.

You got to remember. F1 cars have nearly 200 BHP more than this LMP1 car, and nearly think, 150kgs heavier than F1 car. Who cares it should say"for now" Cannt you look at what they have done and show Porsche some respect.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I'm not sure this year's F1 cars will beat that time. The air/track conditions were excellent for the Porsche team, and won't be quite as good during the Belgian GP. The 2018 cars are quite a bit faster, but 8 tenths is a lot.

As impressive as it is to smash a lap record held by a Formula 1 car, what may be more impressive is this car is 12 seconds faster than the rule compliant WEC 919 Hybrid. 12!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

You got to remember. F1 cars have nearly 200 BHP more than this LMP1 car, and nearly think, 150kgs heavier than F1 car. Who cares it should say"for now" Cannt you look at what they have done and show Porsche some respect.
    Respect?
    why?
    it's a totally different car, it's like having a lap record for monza (for example) using an F1 car / a GP bike / a jet fighter ... the lap records exist for each class for a reason... I don't understand your comment?

There is an overwhelming amount of comments of people saying "If an F1 car had this, or had that. If F1 didn't have rules" blah blah blah. We all know an unrestricted F1 car would be faster, but so far there isn't one.

I would never have thought a WEC LMP1 car with a fuel of the rule restrictions thrown out could be faster than an F1 car. As a fan of motorsports, speed, racing, etc, I think this was an awesome thing Porsche has done. It has answered some "what ifs" and brought in some new exciting "what if" questions. I would love if this inspired Ferrari to unleash the SF71H near year at Spa and retake the outright record.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Absolutely brilliant achievement!

A deregulated car doesn't face the same "brick wall" that the WEC spec makes them do when they run out of boost.

This is just an indication of how "restrictive" the rules are in LMP1. I realize it's all about reliability and time less spent in the pits during a 24 hour endurance race.

Open the fuel flow regs and restrictive "doo-dads" on an F1 car since this hybrid era started and it will smash the current record at Spa.

Nonetheless, this ups the antee for the rest of motorsports to step up and break the record.

Giving credit where it is due.Respect.Absolutely wonderful achievements.

why not | try out | find out | about our site
    Last edited by SelmaAdam; 27th November 2021 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I'm not sure this year's F1 cars will beat that time. The air/track conditions were excellent for the Porsche team, and won't be quite as good during the Belgian GP. The 2018 cars are quite a bit faster, but 8 tenths is a lot.

As impressive as it is to smash a lap record held by a Formula 1 car, what may be more impressive is this car is 12 seconds faster than the rule compliant WEC 919 Hybrid. 12!
    Thanks for this suggestion. It really helped me