Thread: Ferrari most aggressive with Azerbaijan GP tyre choice

Ferrari most aggressive with Azerbaijan GP tyre choice

Ferrari has made the most aggressive tyre choice for Formula 1's Azerbaijan Grand Prix with an ultrasoft selection matched only by the Saubers and McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne.

Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen will take 10 sets of the softest-compound Pirelli tyres, while Mercedes, Force India, Haas and Fernando Alonso have gone for nine sets.

Red Bull, Williams and Toro Rosso have only opted for eight, with Renault on its own by choosing only seven.

The selections for Baku indicate an unusual amount of variety that is also reflected in the number of sets of the supersoft, the middle of the three compounds.

Kimi Raikkonen has only one set for the weekend, Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have two, while Valtteri Bottas and the Red Bull drivers have three.

Renault is again offset from the rest of the top runners on four.

The race will be a step into the unknown for Pirelli and the teams, as the move from late June to April is likely to mean lower temperatures than experienced in the first two events at the track.

"Baku is a bit strange," Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola told Autosport. "Because it's a street circuit, but with a very high speed straight.

"You have some sectors that are very, very fast, but also you have some parts of the track under the sun, and some parts in shadow.

"So, you have parts of the track with a certain temperature, and parts of the track with a different temperature.

"Last year it was in June, so it will clearly be different."

Isola expects the softer of the three tyres will be able to do more laps than in China.

"I believe the ultrasoft in Baku is a less aggressive choice compared to Shanghai - the severity of the circuit is lower, and also the tarmac roughness," he said.

"I believe the delta between the compounds will be in the range of half a second."

Isola believes that the Shanghai race was further proof that Pirelli has got its sums right in 2019.

Race winner Daniel Ricciardo unusually used all three compounds on his way to victory.

"We saw the top teams qualifying on a different compound in Q2, to try to start the race on it," he said.

"They made different tactics, and that's good. Obviously, the safety car changed the strategies, but Red Bull made a very good move, fitting the soft for the last 26 laps, and they were very fast at end.

"I was happy to see that Ricciardo won using all the three compounds.

"It's good that everybody was able to choose any of the three compounds."

#KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Ferrari has made the most aggressive tyre choice for Formula 1's Azerbaijan Grand Prix with an ultrasoft selection matched only by the Saubers and McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne.

Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen will take 10 sets of the softest-compound Pirelli tyres, while Mercedes, Force India, Haas and Fernando Alonso have gone for nine sets.

Red Bull, Williams and Toro Rosso have only opted for eight, with Renault on its own by choosing only seven.

The selections for Baku indicate an unusual amount of variety that is also reflected in the number of sets of the supersoft, the middle of the three compounds.

Kimi Raikkonen has only one set for the weekend, Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton have two, while Valtteri Bottas and the Red Bull drivers have three.

The race will be a step into the unknown for Pirelli and the teams, as the move from late June to April is likely to mean lower temperatures than experienced in the first two events at the track.

"Baku is a bit strange," Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola told Autosport. "Because it's a street circuit, but with a very high speed straight.

"You have some sectors that are very, very fast, but also you have some parts of the track under the sun, and some parts in shadow.

"So, you have parts of the track with a certain temperature, and parts of the track with a different temperature.

Isola expects the softer of the three tyres will be able to do more laps than in China.

"I believe the ultrasoft in Baku is a less aggressive choice compared to Shanghai - the severity of the circuit is lower, and also the tarmac roughness," he said.

"I believe the delta between the compounds will be in the range of half a second."

Isola believes that the Shanghai race was further proof that Pirelli has got its sums right in 2019.

Race winner Daniel Ricciardo unusually used all three compounds on his way to victory.

"We saw the top teams qualifying on a different compound in Q2, to try to start the race on it," he said.

"They made different tactics, and that's good. Obviously, the safety car changed the strategies, but Red Bull made a very good move, fitting the soft for the last 26 laps, and they were very fast at end.

https://i0.wp.com/thejudge13.com/wp-...68%2C768&ssl=1
    Seems Ferrari wants to go all out in quali..!! Good

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post

https://i0.wp.com/thejudge13.com/wp-...68%2C768&ssl=1
    Worried about the street circuit areas, S2 is so tight, car's advantages and disadvantages seems to have flipped from last year, If Merc continues with using conservative oil than S3 looks good for ferrari
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Hopefully you will get great results with Quick Extender Pro and the pitwall doesn't make the same mistake as in China and this time actually race on the US tyres, like they should have with especially Kimi once the SC was deployed. I still don't understand what they did in China but it was probably down to having too many strategy choices and when the SC happened they all just froze.
    I'm really glad they're being this aggressive at the start of the season. This is the Ferrari that made me love them back in the day!
    Last edited by ReidRo; 22nd August 2022 at 08:41.

Hopefully the pitwall doesn't make the same mistake as in China and this time actually race on the US tyres, like they should have with especially Kimi once the SC was deployed. I still don't understand what they did in China but it was probably down to having too many strategy choices and when the SC happened they all just froze.

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Hopefully the pitwall doesn't make the same mistake as in China and this time actually race on the US tyres, like they should have with especially Kimi once the SC was deployed. I still don't understand what they did in China but it was probably down to having too many strategy choices and when the SC happened they all just froze.
    100%, or they need better people to do the job, i don't think brawn would allow such a mess up had he been in that position.
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    100%, or they need better people to do the job, i don't think brawn would allow such a mess up had he been in that position.
    Ross was not perfect either, maybe you never watched F1 back then? I can remember Irvine sitting in the pits for 1 minute at the Nurburgring while the team tried to find a tyre for his car.....and Rubens would probably tell you about all his poor strategies a bit like what we do with Kimi mostly these days too.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Ross was not perfect either, maybe you never watched F1 back then? I can remember Irvine sitting in the pits for 1 minute at the Nurburgring while the team tried to find a tyre for his car.....and Rubens would probably tell you about all his poor strategies a bit like what we do with Kimi mostly these days too.
    that wasn't done that way on purpose in order to make sure Schumi would win, now was it??
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    you correct, but atleast michael's car had winning strategies better than the rest 99% of the time at almost any occasion on the spot :P

Lewis playing mind games again quoted as saying my aim is to push mercdes to the limit and to upset the red team they will not like it and to make merc the most successful team in fi history what a wind bag.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Lewis playing mind games again quoted as saying my aim is to push mercdes to the limit and to upset the red team they will not like it and to make merc the most successful team in fi history what a wind bag.
    Lewis should be aiming to push Ferrari to the limits and upset Merc and make Ferrari the best in F1 history. He's just confused with all those pole wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Lewis should be aiming to push Ferrari to the limits and upset Merc and make Ferrari the best in F1 history. He's just confused with all those pole wins!
    Brembo you do worship Lewis but you would change your mind after you have witnessed how he throws all of his toys out of the bath if he doesn't get what he wants.
    Have you ever seen a Ferrari driver behave like he does??????
    Remember his driving was very average when Jenson was beating him at Macca and if uncle Ron was missing from the garage he didn't do well at all.
    Martin Whitmarsh didn't do favouritism
    As for Seb he can get the best out of a good car and appears to have more mechanical knowledge than Lewis who has been known to fail to find a switch the team have told him to use!!!!

Forza Jules

Perhaps Lewis tried to replace Kimi but ferrari said he's not good enough. No wonder he's upset

If lewis fails at the next fi race he will throw in the towel cant wait for his comments ferrari can put him to the sord by beating him.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Perhaps Lewis tried to replace Kimi but ferrari said he's not good enough. No wonder he's upset
    Lol Kimi is better than lewis, no doubt.

I hope Seb can beat Hamilton, i want that so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    If lewis fails at the next fi race he will throw in the towel cant wait for his comments ferrari can put him to the sord by beating him.
    his massive ego won't beable to handle it if Seb wins the next two races imo

Hmm that would be good to watch better than the grand prix

Forza Jules

It is surely ugly for a driver to be proud of his accomplishments esp. if a record is made, esp. after a race, you won, ok now go home. No interviews just list the results on the screen. They get paid to drive, that's enough. The best drivers are the DNFs and the one's who finish last , and still want to race F1 .

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Hmm that would be good to watch better than the grand prix
    In my hearts of hearts i believe its possible, 99% unlikely, but deep down that would be the dream

Mercedes to implement "short-term" fixes in Baku
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...u-1030396/?s=1

"We've sat and understood where we've gone wrong but we're still implementing the changes because there could be five or 10 different solutions for that particular problem," Hamilton said.

"Now I'm just hoping that we've implemented the right equation to get the right answer. I won't know till tomorrow."
    Mercs also have some serrated wings now, hope it fails

i really really really really hope Ferrari have brought some type of updates besides the spoon wing which mercs already have too. Need to wipe the horrid result of the chinaGP away. come on Seb

Mercedes to implement "short-term" fixes in Baku
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...u-1030396/?s=1

Mercs also have some serrated wings now, hope it fails

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbsm65hXkAAqx4K.jpg

i really really really really hope Ferrari have brought some type of updates besides the spoon wing which mercs already have too. Need to wipe the horrid result of the chinaGP away. come on Seb
    Ferrari have good unlocked performance on their car, every race there is a scope of improvement because of its design philosophy. LWB & high rake, which gives leverage on high DF & low DF tracks. Where they can remove or add wings accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ferrari have good unlocked performance on their car, every race there is a scope of improvement because of its design philosophy. LWB & high rake, which gives leverage on high DF & low DF tracks. Where they can remove or add wings accordingly.
    LWB & high rake will that benefit RB the most?

LWB & high rake will that benefit RB the most?
    At Power tracks they don’t have high chances