Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Baku GP Free Practice Sessions and Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    keep in mind guys that Kimi will be the first to pit of the top 6... he can come into play to disrupt the mercs when they come out of their first pit stops...
    The gap from P1 to P6 will however be quite big so, not 100% sure.. It could work, but the long straight will make it easy to overtake when the others have better traction
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

My nerves are in shatters. It will be a difficult race to-morrow.
    Our boys need to drive out of their skins to-morrow and a bit of luck wouldn't go amiss.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    My nerves are in shatters. It will be a difficult race to-morrow.
    Our boys need to drive out of their skins to-morrow and a bit of luck wouldn't go amiss.
    Seb will control the race.....put as much distance as he can between himself and the merc's. It's Kimi, that I would use, to do the undercut (around 10 to 12 laps) and mess up the merc's strategy. Put him on US at the start, undercut with a pit stop on softs, then finish the remaining 41 laps on softs. IF, a VSC/SC, then switch him on US/SS depending on what lap the VSC/SC comes out.

rain throws everything out the window.

It's nice to know that we have so many strategists in our midst on TSN, but in the end it will all depend on who grabs the lead and controls the race, not to mention the other variables such as SCs and the wind direction. Shame for Kimi to have lost what should have been pole and a front-row lockout, Seb did a great lap but with Mad Max next to Kimi and two Mercs in between, anything can happen. Let's hope whatever strategy we have in mind works for both drivers tomorrow.

2017 vs. 2018 Baku GP

2017 FP1: 1:44.410s. / 2018 FP1: 1:44.242s.
    2017 FP2: 1:43.362s. / 2018 FP2: 1:42.795s.
    2017 FP3: 1:42.742s. / 2018 FP3: 1:43.091s.
    2017 Q: 1: 40.596s. / 2018 Q: 1:41.498s.

grid start with Hulks penalty....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db4md3RV4AAf6pu.jpg

Few points or variables for tmrw

1) looks like SC is inevitable for tmrws race by looking at F2 race. This should throw Kimi into the mix if it’s at right time.
    2) undercut is not powerful here because getting the tires to work under right temp in a lap is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Is it possible that the lower-track temperatures should play into the hands of cars tomorrow who have a more high-downforce setup like we do?
    Yeah, that’s the case I’m talking. Mercs went with low DF for better straight line speed which will cause tyre deg high. Where as RB & Ferrari should go longer hypothetically as they have more wing which will give better performance in S2.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Why should mercs use US?
    They have option of US & S that’s it. S with 1stop without SC is a bit risky.

FerrariSteve Guest
    I just caught up on Qually.

Seb on Pole is awesome but what a shame for Kimi, that lap seemed to be amazing if not for that mistake, a pity.
    I'm a little scared of the Mercs behind Seb and their top end speed, however at least Max isn't near him.

I hope Ricciardo can get a lightning start and get in front of the Mercs to give Seb a little breathing room.
    Fingers crossed for a good race. Forza Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    1) looks like SC is inevitable for tmrws race by looking at F2 race. This should throw Kimi into the mix if it’s at right time.
    Excellent point. He needs to bide his time, run is own clean race, and pounce when the time is right. This car makes me feel like a Ferrari 1-2 is always a possibility.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Excellent point. He needs to bide his time, run is own clean race, and pounce when the time is right. This car makes me feel like a Ferrari 1-2 is always a possibility.
    Yup ... me too. If Kimi has very good 1st stint, then with SC help will be up there for win or podium.
    Ferrari needs WCC also. So his points are crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    I just caught up on Qually.

Seb on Pole is awesome but what a shame for Kimi, that lap seemed to be amazing if not for that mistake, a pity.
    I'm a little scared of the Mercs behind Seb and their top end speed, however at least Max isn't near him.

I hope Ricciardo can get a lightning start and get in front of the Mercs to give Seb a little breathing room.
    Fingers crossed for a good race. Forza Ferrari!
    It's not necassarlily an advantage to have RIC behind us.. He's super at braking.. Best thing would be to have BOT, we all know what happened in Bahrain.. Also I think it's in our advantage that BOT outscores HAM, so team orders will be harder for Merc in WDC
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Verstappen is likely to cause a big collision in the first corner. Only this is certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Verstappen is likely to cause a big collision in the first corner. Only this is certain.
    It seems that 90% of the time Verstappen causes a collision, a Ferrari is in trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Michal2_F1 View Post
    I am surprised some people play down Red Bull chances for the championship. They are as fast as anyone in the race and their development is fantastic. Very big threat.
    Reliability will cost them

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Reliability will cost them
    Penalty on the cards at some point of races ahead for both of them.

Forgot to congratulate Charles Leclerc. He did a fantastic job qualifying to q2 & qualify 13th.

looks like ferrari sacrificed a lot of top speed for downforce, not good if mercs can get drs or tow :(, hopefully the downforce is kinder to the tyres

not sure if posted already

Will be very difficult for Kimi to make passes if this is the case
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

I really feel this will be the thoughest race for us untill know, eventhough we got pole.. With Kimi only starting P6 I think Merc/RBR will be able to do a good job in WCC

Hamilton's 3rd sector is blistering thats going to be a problem for seb.

Very close between ferrari and mercs,

Kimi had the tools but messed up front grid was there for him for sure
    hockenheim 2018 / China 2018 : Never forget how quick Ferrari can lose it all, be humble.
    Positivity doesn't win you championships, whining about people being negative makes you blind!
    lol ignore the bitter old cows ;-)

Tyres for the race

tyre.jpg

Mercedes has a very low downforce compared to Ferrari. It gains on a straight line but can very quickly destroy super soft tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Tyres for the race

tyre.jpg
    Hmmm ... almost everyone are on same line.

Everyone hoping for SC, that leads to 1stop SS-S.
    Without SC it’s SS-S-US 2stop strategy.
    For Kimi best strategy is US-S n hope for SC n go for new US as his SS are destroyed.
    Last edited by nani_s23; 28th April 2018 at 19:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Mercedes has a very low downforce compared to Ferrari. It gains on a straight line but can very quickly destroy super soft tires.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by mwk360 View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db5BHJhWAAAHJ3m.jpg

Hamilton's 3rd sector is blistering thats going to be a problem for seb.

Very close between ferrari and mercs,

Kimi had the tools but messed up front grid was there for him for sure
    Even vettel backed off on 2nd run... so both vet & Kimi might have improved compared to ham in S3 may be near to 25.1

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...wolff-1031390/

This article got me thinking. When Hamilton under performs its always the same excuse "Lacks motivation", "Heads not in it yet", "Takes time to get used to the car".

If this was Vettel the F1 fanbase would be slating him and calling him a driver.

“I BELIEVE WE HAVE GOOD CHANCES”
    media

Seb counting on today’s pole – the third in a row for him and the Scuderia – as Kimi snaps out of line and off the front row

Baku, April 28 – His first run in Q3 was good enough for Seb Vettel to take pole position for tomorrow’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Kimi Raikkonen was on his way to what looked like being a sensational lap, but an off-line just before the long straight meant he had to settle for sixth. For Scuderia Ferrari this was its third consecutive pole of the season and the SF71H proved to be the car to beat on the six kilometre track and its combination of tight corners and flat-out sections.

And yet, Seb feels that he could have improved still further: “I am very happy for this result, but I am a little bit upset with my final lap because I locked up in turn 3. I knew the car was good and in the first two corners I was already one and a half tenth faster than the lap before. Then, maybe, I hit the bump the wrong way a little under braking and I locked up. In the end I made the corner, so I wasn’t that late, but obviously after that, the grip wasn’t the same. It’s a shame because I think I could have been faster, but I am happy anyway. I am sorry for Kimi because we could have both been on the front row. However, we’ll see tomorrow, It’s going to be a long race. I think it is very important to be able to fight for the pole in order to have a good chance during the race. Even if the result has been good these last few Saturdays, there’s still a lot of work for us. We know that the car can be faster. Obviously we have worked hard to get to where we are now, but everybody in the team knows there’s more to do. We have to stay focused and keep pushing. However, I am not afraid for tomorrow and I believe we have good chances”.

A disappointed Kimi summed up his afternoon: “In Q3, on my last run I had a lot of speed and the feeling with the car was really good; I knew I had a very good lap going. Entering the last corner I took it very easily because over the weekend the wind has been quite tricky there. But for whatever reason I got a massive snap exiting the corner and went sideways. I was able to get the car back but the lap was gone. I’m pretty sure that without that mistake I would have been in a much better position. It’s very painful and frustrating to mess it up in the last corner like that, I’m very disappointed. Unfortunately with the mistake we are not in a very good position for the race. Today it did not pay off, but tomorrow is another day and we’ll do our best”.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

So merc gave more powerful quali modes for all three teams. I think ferrari have done extremely well to still come out on top and the real gap to merc is around 4 tenths, atleast in quali.